If Paxton turned out to be exactly like Joe Flacco

jett

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

You state this with some expectation he will become the franchise starting QB.  Petty was a 4th round pick.  How many top 10 QB's in the league right now were drafted 4th round?  Top 15?  Petty will probably never be a starter.  That's just reality.  You draft a guy like him to be a solid cheap backup, and if he realizes anymore potential than that then either you've hit the jackpot and make him your starter or you trade him for a sizeable return if you've found your franchise QB elsewhere.  Bryce Petty is our AJ Feely/Matt Flynn. 

I'm just questioning how many developmental QBs we can keep on 1 roster?  Would we keep both Petty and Lynch??  We'd need 2 other QBs to be the starter and backup.  That means 4 QBs on the roster.  Is that feasible?  (maybe it is - I'm legitimately asking).

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

You state this with some expectation he will become the franchise starting QB.  Petty was a 4th round pick.  How many top 10 QB's in the league right now were drafted 4th round?  Top 15?  Petty will probably never be a starter.  That's just reality.  You draft a guy like him to be a solid cheap backup, and if he realizes anymore potential than that then either you've hit the jackpot and make him your starter or you trade him for a sizeable return if you've found your franchise QB elsewhere.  Bryce Petty is our AJ Feely/Matt Flynn. 

Top QBs are as likely as not to be a top draft pick. Specifying 4th round won't work, but the top 15 QBs half of them were not 1st round picks. 

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

let me be clear I don't hate Paxton Lynch. If he's around in rd 2 that makes more sense from a value perspective. He probably won't be around but these guys don't reach they wait for players to fall. Lynch at 20 feels like a reach. 

also his 18 wonderlic is garbage. Which doesn't bode well for his already suspect defense reading abilities. Geno did better than that. 

put it another way, If he was Cardale Jones (who got a 24 on the test) people would be making Jamarcus Russell comparisons. 

Cardale gets the Russel comparisons because of his conditioning or lack thereof.

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Top QBs are as likely as not to be a top draft pick. Specifying 4th round won't work, but the top 15 QBs half of them were not 1st round picks. 

Here's a good stat I heard on Sirius yesterday... 38% of the QB's drafted #1 overall will go to at least one Super Bowl 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm just questioning how many developmental QBs we can keep on 1 roster?  Would we keep both Petty and Lynch??  We'd need 2 other QBs to be the starter and backup.  That means 4 QBs on the roster.  Is that feasible?  (maybe it is - I'm legitimately asking).

Sounds like Bowles is happy with Petty as the number 2 right now. He's got one more year to show improvement or we replace him with another project. If we got Lynch we would keep the best one next year, and pick another project until we hit on one. 

46 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Lynch is a perfect fit...........

if he's there in the 2nd round.

This guy is in no way a first round talent

Lynch will be gone well before 20...he will likely go in the top 10.

All the people that don't want Lynch will be very happy as we draft yet another defensive player in the first round. 

The Flacco argument is an easy one, of course.  With Flacco, playoff team that competes for AFC title every year.  Without, like last year, they are picking at 6.

Plus, once they drafted him, they haven't had to even think about the WB position.  

Show many QBs have we had since Apr of 2008?

Now I don't know Lynch personally so I don't know his drive, competitiveness, etc.

But, Macc liked his film enough to have the largest entourage at his Pro Day.  That has to say something.

18 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

ELITE

joeflaccoiselite.gif

lol wr had to wait for the ball, the corner got toasted and the safety was horrendous on that play.  Flacco was good at tossing it up for grabs and having guys like Boldin make him look like  a hero.  He is a decent NFL QB but in no way worthy of his big contract and in no way enough of a difference maker to haul a poor team up to his level.  (See Balt the last few years.)

6 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Alex smith is a bit of a question mark, but luck and Winston still have time on their side. The clock is ticking for Palmer too

Alex Smith turned out okay.  I don't think he's championship material but he's a solid QB.  I think similarly about Kirk Cousins (solid but not championship material).  Those are the kinds of QBs that I think of as "fool's gold".  You can win a playoff game with them and start to think you've "arrived".  But then against a better team they get exposed and someone else plays for the title while you think you're "knocking on the door" (when you're not).

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Alex smith is a bit of a question mark, but luck and Winston still have time on their side. The clock is ticking for Palmer too

30% of QBs drafted #1 are all time talents. Give me the percentage of SB winners drafted 1st round but not drafted number 1. 

39 minutes ago, bitonti said:

by the way threads like this turn into "Bitonti hated Lynch" absolutes years later. I like Lynch at 2nd/3rd round prices. Not at 20. 

+1 and agreed.  Risk and Time Investment vs. Reward is good in the 2nd.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Alex Smith turned out okay.  I don't think he's championship material but he's a solid QB.  I think similarly about Kirk Cousins (solid but not championship material).  Those are the kinds of QBs that I think of as "fool's gold".  You can win a playoff game with them and start to think you've "arrived".  But then against a better team they get exposed and someone else plays for the title while you think you're "knocking on the door" (when you're not).

Alex Smith's team mate learns how to fair catch a punt, he's in one Super Bowl.

He doesn't get benched for Kap in a bad move, he's in another.  He's a decent/good QB.  Not elite, but solid.

If he is the same player as Joe Flacco then you trade up to get him. Joe Flacco isn't elite by any means but he is a very good starting quarterback that has proven to have clutch in him and has won a Superbowl. No brainer if you ask me.

EDIT: As long as he shaves that stupid pirate thing off his face.

15 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The Flacco argument is an easy one, of course.  With Flacco, playoff team that competes for AFC title every year.  Without, like last year, they are picking at 6.

Plus, once they drafted him, they haven't had to even think about the WB position.  

Show many QBs have we had since Apr of 2008?

Now I don't know Lynch personally so I don't know his drive, competitiveness, etc.

But, Macc liked his film enough to have the largest entourage at his Pro Day.  That has to say something.

Lynch would be the most exciting pick of our draft with the greatest franchise-changing potential.

1 hour ago, thebuzzardman said:

Yes, draft him. As long as Paxton Lynch comes with the other Raven analogy players of Rice, Suggs and Lewis. Then yes, I am all in. But it has to be a package deal. All four, or nothing. 

No, you dont draft Paxton Lynch. The question was "what if he ends up being Joe Flacco". Of course you draft Joe Flacco, however, I dont think Paxton Lynch is Joe Flacco at all. Sorry that you got my answer confused. 

I'd take Flacco 2.0.

I'm not a huge fan of Flacco but he is at least a guy you can build around and performs pretty well if he's surrounded by enough talent who can make up for his random backslides into mediocrity. 

This team needs a long period of above average performance to kick its image as the NFL's whipping boy. Even if Flacco 2.0 doesn't turn us into a super bowl team it would allow us to develop a roster and work on that image so we can build on success rather than constantly building from a pile of trash.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Height isn't the cause of that.  It's the rarity of having guys that tall in general, resulting in a small sample size of QB's 6-6 or taller.  Peyton Manning is 6-5.  Is Bit suggesting that if Peyton were 1 or 2 inches taller, he would have been a colossal failure?  Come on.

Were you guys also aware that shoe size is highly correlated to reading ability, and that ice cream sales are highly correlated with shark attacks?  Both true statements.  Neither imply causality.

Link or GTFO.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1 and agreed.  Risk and Time Investment vs. Reward is good in the 2nd.

That may have been the cost in years past, but not any more.  When marginal QBs are commanding (and getting) $18M annually, untested back ups getting long term deals for $7M annually, the market has changed.  And drastically.

When Revis and Nmambdi got their deals in FA, it made corners a priority in the draft because to sign one in free agency was becoming cost prohibitive.  This works in cycles.  

Unfortunately, in order to draft a sure thing, it now costs 2 - 3 drafts worth of picks.  

So you have to settle for a guy that you can develop.  Lynch you can develop, Cook and Hack- much more difficult.

6 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I do think there is a slight circular logic to that, in that 1st round QBs are given year after year to show something. 4th round guys don't always get a chance at all, particularly if they're stuck behind a solid starter. If RGIII wasn't injured we'd instead be laughing at the waste of a pick they burned on Kirk Cousins after burning three #1's on RG3. If Sanchez or Geno were 4th round picks, would either have been afforded the time this team gave them, given each one's sh*tty passing numbers, turnovers, and poor pocket/situational awareness in general? Of course not.

But I take for granted that, typically, higher-drafted players are better. Plus unlike other mid/lower round positional players, they don't get subbed on & off the field or have use on special teams. Mauldin as a situational pass rusher saw some action as needed. If his position was one that was all-or-none (QB, OL) he would have seen zero defensive snaps last year. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Link or GTFO.

Not sure if serious, but here's the explanation anyways, whether you wanted it or not:

1.  Shoe size is highly correlated with reading ability because little kids have small feet and don't read very well. 

2.  Ice cream sales are highly correlated with shark attacks because most shark attacks occur during the summer, when ice cream sales are also high.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

there are many guys taller than 6'6" they choose to play basketball because in general the NFL doesn't have a place for them. outside of the power forward/TE conversion. No one ever says hey you know that 6'9" guy he'd be great at QB. There's a reason for that. Probably having to do with crouching down to get the center snap, another thing that Lynch never did in college. 

by the way threads like this turn into "Bitonti hated Lynch" absolutes years later. I like Lynch at 2nd/3rd round prices. Not at 20. 

I'm curious if it's less about height and more about arm length, which is generally correlated.  The longer the arm, the less compact the throwing motion, I'd think.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well let's go with the assumption the draft Lynch.  I don't think they will because trading up for a guy that needs so much development does not seem viable to me, but I digress.  If we draft Lynch I think we turn around and sign Fitz immediately after.  We go into camp with 4 QB's, Lynch will be guaranteed a spot, leaving Geno and Bryce to battle for backup position.  Geno will likely have the edge in terms of where he is at the moment based on experience, however if Petty has shown significant strides of improvement I think the cut Geno and go with Fitz, Bryce, Lynch.  If Petty has not shown any signs of improvement I think they cut ties with him.  It's a dog eat dog world in the NFL.  Show you belong or get out. 

2 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

can't tell if troll.......

we have drafted 2 qb's in the first round since forever (pennington and sanchez).......thats the saddest stat ever....its not like qb has been a need for this team or anything lol

Well technically, the Colts have only drafted two first round QBs in forever ;)

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Well technically, the Colts have only drafted two first round QBs in forever ;)

3.  They also drafted John Elway # 1 overall in '83.  And despite the Elway-Manning-Luck triumvirate, they only have 1 ring to show for it.  Pathetic organization.

Archived