This is what I dont understand.

Villain The Foe

Why do Jets fans even want this organization to draft Paxton Lynch? 

I get it, we need a QB...but why Lynch? I ask this outside of everyone's personal feelings on the kid, however, one thing that I believe we can all agree with is that he's a developmental QB

Why do you guys want a rookie QB that is not the most NFL ready out of the group? Jets fans have proven that generally, we have absolutely no patience. Almost no one wants to ever see Geno Smith start a game for the Jets again, and he's only a 3 year QB who's only played 2 seasons. Almost a similar situation with Mark Sanchez in terms of the fanbase disassociating themselves from him.

If we draft Paxton Lynch many Jets fans will be jumping for joy because we "finally got a franchise QB", another portion of the fanbase will say "hey, not exactly what I want, but I'll give him a chance". It'll be 2009 & 2013 all over again. If Paxton Lynch ends up the starter for the Jets this year and has a terrible year you know what will be said? The same thing we heard about every other young talent, but it will be even louder given his position. Just look at Geno. 

Jets fans dont have the patience to develop a QB, nor do you guys even want the patience. You guys want it all, and you want it right now. So again, WHY do so many Jets fans want to draft Paxton Lynch, a developmental prospect? He's not ready, yet no Jets fan will want to hear having him sit and start Geno. We all know for an absolute fact that Jetnation will not stand for starting Geno over Paxton for "development reasons". And when I say "sit him" I dont mean the bullcrap benching. You know, wait for the crowd to boo and THEN put the rookie in so its like the "fans asked for it". Im talking about taking an Aaron Rodgers type seat. The first thing a Jets fan will say is "Then why did we waste a 1st round pick on him"? And I will say to you today that this its a damn good question, because if he shows that he's not ready, he will be cast to the side by the fanbase...just like we always do, and it will ultimately be a waste of a draft pick, just like it was in 2009 and like it was in 2013. 

Why not just resign Fitzpatrick or trade for Bradford or Glennon then? Why even waste your time begging to draft this rookie QB that is obviously not ready? Everyone loves facts right, and they love to talk about what the Pundit's think. Well, the experts think that the most "NFL ready" QB in this draft is Kevin Hogan, a projected 4th rounder. He may not have the highest upside in terms of raw talent (the experts say), but he can make all the throws. One thing he does have is, the confidence of the experts that if there was EVER A ROOKIE in this draft that was NFL ready RIGHT NOW....it's him. 

So, I ask again, why draft a developmental QB with huge upside, but will most likely be labeled a bust 8 months from today over a guy who doesnt have that rocket for an arm, though stronger than what we had last year, and he understands the game and will make the right decisions with the football. Also, this isnt a pro Kevin Hogan thread, this is why I even mentioned going as far as resigning Fitz or going out and trading for Bradford or Glennon. 

Why even put yourself though wanting to draft a QB when you're not even interested in having the patience of even letting him develop? Geno Smith signed a 4 year deal and Jets fans were done with him after year 1. Sanchez signed a 5 year deal and Jets fans TRIED to be done with him after year 1 but he had a solid playoff run. Jets fans again tried to be done with him after year 2 but he had another solid playoff run....then we finally got to be done with him after year 3 because there was no playoff run for him to possibly redeem himself. 

WTF is the point, really? I'd rather see us resign Fitzpatick than the Jets drafting Lynch and have to read the nonsense that will be all over this board in 8 months if Lynch has a bad season. And you should know its bad when VTF would rather resign Fitzpatrick then deal with that nonsense. lol.

We are not interested in developing quarterbacks. We want Andrew Luck. How about we just wait for the next Andrew Luck to hit the draft instead of wasting our time with a developmental QB that we wont want on this team by December. 

To all the Lynch supporters, this isnt a shot at Lynch. I have many other threads to where I can take my shots at Lynch. This is about knowing this fanbase and knowing damn well that if he's not ready and he's thrown into the fire we're going to do the same thing we always do...bitch and moan about how much of a bust he is and how he's unsalvageable. So whats the point?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I get it, we need a QB...but why Lynch? I ask this outside of everyone's personal feelings on the kid, however, one thing that I believe we can all agree with is that he's a developmental QB

Why do you guys want a rookie QB that is not the most NFL ready out of the group? Jets fans have proven that generally, we have absolutely no patience. Almost no one wants to ever see Geno Smith start a game for the Jets again, and he's only a 3 year QB who's only played 2 seasons. Almost a similar situation with Mark Sanchez in terms of the fanbase disassociating themselves from him.

If we draft Paxton Lynch many Jets fans will be jumping for joy because we "finally got a franchise QB", another portion of the fanbase will say "hey, not exactly what I want, but I'll give him a chance". It'll be 2009 & 2013 all over again. If Paxton Lynch ends up the starter for the Jets this year and has a terrible year you know what will be said? The same thing we heard about every other young talent, but it will be even louder given his position. Just look at Geno. 

Jets fans dont have the patience to develop a QB, nor do you guys even want the patience. You guys want it all, and you want it right now. So again, WHY do so many Jets fans want to draft Paxton Lynch, a developmental prospect? He's not ready, yet no Jets fan will want to hear having him sit and start Geno. We all know for an absolute fact that Jetnation will not stand for starting Geno over Paxton for "development reasons". And when I say "sit him" I dont mean the bullcrap benching. You know, wait for the crowd to boo and THEN put the rookie in so its like the "fans asked for it". Im talking about taking a Aaron Rodgers type seat. The first thing a Jets fan will say is "They why did we waste a 1st round pick on him"? And I will say to you today that this its a damn good question, because if he shows that he's not ready, he will be cast to the side by the fanbase...just like we always do, and it will ultimately be a waste of a draft pick, just like it was in 2009 and like it was in 2013. 

Why not just resign Fitzpatrick or trade for Bradford or Glennon then? Why even waste your time begging to draft this rookie QB that is obviously not ready? Everyone loves facts right, and they love to talk about what the Pundit's think. Well, the experts think that the most "NFL ready" QB in this draft is Kevin Hogan, a projected 4th rounder. He may not have the highest upside in terms of raw talent (the experts say), but he can make all the throws. One thing he does have is, the confidence of the experts that if there were EVER A ROOKIE in this draft that was NFL ready RIGHT NOW....it's him. 

So, I ask again, why draft a developmental QB with huge upside, but will most likely be labeled a bust 8 months from today over a guy who doesnt have that rocket for an arm, though stronger than what we had last year, and he understands the game and will make the right decisions with the football. Also, this isnt a pro Kevin Hogan thread, this is why I even mentioned going as far as resigning Fitz or going out and trading for Bradford or Glennon. 

Why even put yourself though wanting to draft a QB when you're not even interested in having the patience of even letting him develop? Geno Smith signed a 4 year deal and Jets fans were done with him after year 1. Sanchez signed I 5 year deal and Jets fans TRIED to be done with him after year 1 but he had a solid playoff run. Jets fans again tried to be done with him after year 2 but he had another solid playoff run....then we finally got to be done with him after year 3 because there was no playoff run for him to possibly redeem himself. 

WTF is the point, really? I'd rather see us resign Fitzpatick than the Jets drafting Lynch and have to read the nonsense that will be all over this board in 8 months if Lynch has a bad season. And you should know its bad when VTF would rather resign Fitzpatrick then deal with that nonsense. lol.

We are not interested in developing quarterbacks. We want Andrew Luck. How about we just wait for the next Andrew Luck to hit the draft instead of wasting our time with a developmental QB that we wont want on this team by December. 

To all the Lynch supporters, this isnt a shot at Lynch. I have many other threads to where I can take my shots at Lynch. This is about knowing this fanbase and knowing damn well that if he's not ready and he's thrown into the fire we're going to do the same thing we always do...bitch and moan about how much of a bust he is and how he's unsalvageable. So whats the point?

This is what you don't understand? Sure fans are always going to love the next guy, and bash the guy we have. It hasn't changed since I was a kid. Probably even before that. I don't think the coaches will take the fan's opinions into consideration. They'll play the QB that has the best chance to win.

Lynch reminds me of Browning Nagle quite a little bit...but he could be the next Farve too. We won't know until he gets the chance to play. They'll hate him until he wins a SB, or goes to another team. 

Because:

- The last few 'developmental' QB's we have drafted we have stared immediately, thus no tangible development time.

- Sanchez had a 100% legit opportunity here, was given a top notch D and oline and running game, has some success team wise but then totally failed to improve on the things that make a bad Qb bad.

- Geno Smith showed no tangible sign of improvement in his time and even last year tossed away his 3rd chance by getting smashed in the face and hen by playing just like he did before in his one game in Oakland.  Also Geno smith was a mid 2nd round pick whom we owe NOTHING to and have invested little in.

We have a new plan in place, a proper one.  Get a vet Qb in place, draft the best guy you can, bring the new guy along slowly.  Hope it works out, if it doesn't you try again in a few years.

If we bring in a glennon for instance we have the same questions as if we had Geno, can this guy play?  How long do we give him?

I think it is a misconception to say Jet fans are harder than any other fan base on their young QBs .  A majority of the fans thought Sanchez was our guy despite his foibles and he only really got roasted fr later than he deserved to get roasted.

He's a QB. Kind of like SAR I's argument with Leinart years ago - he doesn't know the first thing about him, but he knows the Jets need a QB.

Same situation as now. The top two QBs are unattainable. Lynch is regarded as the 3rd best, and seems to be within the Jets reach. The Jets haven't had a decent multi-year starter since Testaverde. (Everything past 2002 for Pennington is up for debate) and haven't had a franchise guy since Namath. 

Lynch may or may not be that guy. But a lot of fans are tired of waiting. 

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

He's a QB. Kind of like SAR I's argument with Leinart years ago - he doesn't know the first thing about him, but he knows the Jets need a QB.

Same situation as now. The top two QBs are unattainable. Lynch is regarded as the 3rd best, and seems to be within the Jets reach. The Jets haven't had a decent multi-year starter since Testaverde. (Everything past 2002 for Pennington is up for debate) and haven't had a franchise guy since Namath. 

Lynch may or may not be that guy. But a lot of fans are tired of waiting. 

i like mccags' statement that he wants to draft qbs every year 'to develop a pipeline' of qbs.  finally, we have a gm committed to this position, not someone like tanny who didn't draft wilson b/c he was too invested in sanchez.  mccags will draft someone in the first 3 rounds, and keep doing it until he's got a starter and a reliever.  

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

This is what you don't understand? Sure fans are always going to love the next guy, and bash the guy we have. It hasn't changed since I was a kid. Probably even before that. I don't think the coaches will take the fan's opinions into consideration. They'll play the QB that has the best chance to win.

Lynch reminds me of Browning Nagle quite a little bit...but he could be the next Farve too. We won't know until he gets the chance to play. They'll hate him until he wins a SB, or goes to another team. 

I know the coaches dont look at the fanbase when making decisions like this, but I honestly dont understand it. Why want a QB that is obviously developmental yet you have no willingness to wait it out if he needs it. The best thing for this organization to do is to find a guy that can play the Kirk Cousins role. He can sit in the back ground if need be but if you start him its not such a catastrophe if he has a bad season. 

Understanding this, I would rather have the most NFL ready guy. Its less development time, and though he may not have the highest upside, the fact that this organization (and its fans) arent interested in development then atleast we know what we're getting is the best the draft had to offer "for us". until either a more capable QB comes around or this 4th rounder actually surprises and becomes something. 

We're wasting our time with this nonsense as a fanbase 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I know the coaches dont look at the fanbase when making decisions like this, but I honestly dont understand it. Why want a QB that is obviously developmental yet you have no willingness to wait it out if he needs it. The best thing for this organization to do is to find a guy that can play the Kirk Cousins role. He can sit in the back ground if need be but if you start him its not such a catastrophe if he has a bad season. 

Understanding this, I would rather have the most NFL ready guy. Its less development time, and though he may not have the highest upside, the fact that this organization (and its fans) arent interested in development then atleast we know what we're getting is the best the draft had to offer "for us". until either a more capable QB comes around or this 4th rounder actually surprises and becomes something. 

Maybe they will draft Lynch and make a trade for Glennon to start while Lynch develops? would you be upset with that?

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you can't understand why some of us want the jets to draft a huge, athletic qb with a good arm who throws well on the run?

Of course I understand this^^^^^^^. What I dont understand is wanting to drafting an athletic QB with a good arm who throws well on the run, but is a developmental QB that hesitates, is a "one read & run" QB and thats not the type of offense we run etc. 

He's a project, and Jets fans have never been good at developing projects. 8 months from now if Lynch has a bad season he'll be "worse than Geno Smith", and no one will give a rats ass about the qualities you just mentioned. This isnt about Lynch, this is about the fanbase not having patience with any position, especially the QB position. 

No one knows for sure with any of these QB's obviously it is a crap shoot you take a shot given plus and minuses of the guy. If they see his value compared to what is on the board when we pick take a shot

A developmental QB can be developed and we actually have a pretty good setup where he could get the time he needs. 

And I also don't buy the hyperbole of 2/3 years that he supposedly "needs". I guarantee he'll be starting in year 2 unless he lands at a team with an actual franchise QB in place. The Jets have a chance to be competitive with a veteran (Fitz, basically) and if we are then the coaches/fans/media will be appeased enough to let him sit for as long as it takes. If we we're not competitive then you give him some games to end the season and work from there. I don't buy that he's going to shrivel up and die if he's exposed to an NFL game in year one. Week one might be pushing it, fair enough.

I think the point is that if Lynch develops into the Top 10 QB he's said to have the talent to be and we passed on him to trade for Mike Glennon, then we're all going to kill you.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Of course I understand this^^^^^^^. What I dont understand is wanting to drafting an athletic QB with a good arm who throws well on the run, but is a developmental QB that hesitates, is a "one read & run" QB and thats not the type of offense we run etc. 

He's a project, and Jets fans have never been good at developing projects. 8 months from now if Lynch has a bad season he'll be "worse than Geno Smith", and no one will give a rats ass about the qualities you just mentioned. This isnt about Lynch, this is about the fanbase not having patience with any position, especially the QB position. 

the thing is, most years, there are qbs who wind up being quality starters who aren't cam newton or andrew luck.  so the question is, do you take that guy and take a risk, or do you maybe take a lower risk on a different position?  parcells took jake long over matt ryan.  that was a miss.  but the raiders to jemarcus over calvin, that was a miss.  

we can debate this till the cows come home but after nearly a decade and a half of tom brady's dominance in the division it's clear the only way the jets will ever get a home playoff game is to find a guy who isn't just competent, but is a playmaker.  i watch highlights of lynch and see a guy who has the 'it' factor with his instincts and uses his physical skills to make plays all over the field.  i'd rather take a chance on that guy than noah spence or taylor decker, guys who may have nice careers but won't get me the chance at a home playoff game.

Are people making the argument that if we take Lynch at 20 that he has to be the immediate starter?  I haven't really seen that argument made.  I think like most people if he is there at 20 and we don't need to move up, you take him and groom him for a year or 2.  If he has the highest upside and they think he can develop quickly then yes take him.  No player you pick at 20 is going to be a guarantee so if they are going to gamble I'd prefer they gamble at QB.  Plus the fact that the Jets have drafted 2 QBs in the first round in the last 30 years means we should probably start trying to take QBs in the first since taking QBs in any other round hasn't worked out in the last 30 years.  

The 2 QBs that were drafted in the 1st round were Chad and Sanchez.  Both had pretty good success with the Jets at points in their career.  I think we need to start taking more chances in the 1st.

EDIT: My personal opinion is "I don't know enough about scouting QBs to know, but Lynch feels a bit immature or a me, me guy, reminds me of Cutler" So for me I hope they trade back and get more picks and take someone like Hogan later in the draft.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Maybe they will draft Lynch and make a trade for Glennon to start while Lynch develops? would you be upset with that?

This is not about my personal opinion, this is about a fanbase that is requesting the jets to draft a developmental project yet this fanbase has never been patience enough to see that development through. 

This is why I said, Jets fans would rather put Lynch in, though he's not ready, than ever seeing Geno take another snap. Though he's had a year in the system and 3 full years in the league. And for the record, im not trying to support Geno here. Im keeping this solely on the fanbase and how they deal with developmental players. We are not willing to do what's necessary for the possibility for a better tomorrow. So why even draft him? Im trying to get that question answered. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Jets fans dont have the patience to develop a QB, nor do you guys even want the patience. You guys want it all, and you want it right now. So again, WHY do so many Jets fans want to draft Paxton Lynch, a developmental prospect? He's not ready, yet no Jets fan will want to hear having him sit and start Geno. We all know for an absolute fact that Jetnation will not stand for starting Geno over Paxton for "development reasons". And when I say "sit him" I dont mean the bullcrap benching. You know, wait for the crowd to boo and THEN put the rookie in so its like the "fans asked for it". Im talking about taking an Aaron Rodgers type seat. The first thing a Jets fan will say is "Then why did we waste a 1st round pick on him"? And I will say to you today that this its a damn good question, because if he shows that he's not ready, he will be cast to the side by the fanbase...just like we always do, and it will ultimately be a waste of a draft pick, just like it was in 2009 and like it was in 2013. 

Why not just resign Fitzpatrick or trade for Bradford or Glennon then? Why even waste your time begging to draft this rookie QB that is obviously not ready? Everyone loves facts right, and they love to talk about what the Pundit's think. Well, the experts think that the most "NFL ready" QB in this draft is Kevin Hogan, a projected 4th rounder. He may not have the highest upside in terms of raw talent (the experts say), but he can make all the throws. One thing he does have is, the confidence of the experts that if there was EVER A ROOKIE in this draft that was NFL ready RIGHT NOW....it's him. 

Why even put yourself though wanting to draft a QB when you're not even interested in having the patience of even letting him develop? Geno Smith signed a 4 year deal and Jets fans were done with him after year 1. Sanchez signed a 5 year deal and Jets fans TRIED to be done with him after year 1 but he had a solid playoff run. Jets fans again tried to be done with him after year 2 but he had another solid playoff run....then we finally got to be done with him after year 3 because there was no playoff run for him to possibly redeem himself. 

Geno Smith is a 3 year QB who's actually only played 2 seasons???? So is waiting to see some sort of result after 10 years your normal expectation? That's completely insane and you could never keep a captive fan base doing that. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen any team be as patient as what you're talking about? 3 years is a NORMAL timeframe to evaluate a QB. It's just right. If after 3 years the guy has shown nothing to give you confidence? Then it's time to kick that kid to the curb. Sanchez was given 4 seasons and I think everyone in the fan base now realizes he should have only gotten 3. Year 4 just reinforced what everyone had likely suspected but didn't want to believe.

In Geno's case it's even easier. Just about everyone in the fan base hates the A$$hole for good reason. This, not to mention he's a terrible QB. The jury is in with Geno. It's time for him to go on the unemployment line and I for one could not be happier.

If we draft Paxton Lynch we'll be looking for something, anything to indicate he's on the right path. That's all. We are not saying if he doesn't win the SB in year 3 then he's trash and we must cut him. But 3 years is a pretty fair amount of time to see if the QB you have invested so much time into is worth it.

Why do Jets fans even want this organization to trade for Mike Glennon?

I get it, we need a QB...but why Glennon? I ask this outside of everyone's personal feelings on the kid, however, one thing that I believe we can all agree with is that he's a unproven failed-once-already and benched QB.

Why do you guys want someone else’s backup QB that is not the most NFL ready out of the group available? Jets fans have proven that generally, we have absolutely no patience. Almost no one wants to ever see Geno Smith start a game for the Jets again, and he's only a 3 year QB who's only played 2 seasons. Almost a similar situation with Mark Sanchez in terms of the fanbase disassociating themselves from him.

If we trade for Mike Glennon many Jets fans will be jumping for joy because we "finally got a franchise QB", another portion of the fanbase will say "hey, not exactly what I want, but I'll give him a chance". It'll be 1993 & 1997 all over again. If Mike Glennon ends up the starter for the Jets this year and has a terrible year you know what will be said? The same thing we heard about every other castoff from another team "talent", but it will be even louder given his position. Just look at Fitz.

Jets fans dont have the patience to develop a QB, nor do you guys even want the patience. You guys want it all, and you want it right now. So again, WHY do so many Jets fans want to trade for Mike Glennon, a failed and benched developmental prospect? He's a failure thus far, yet no Jets fan will want to hear having him sit and start Fitz.  We all know for an absolute fact that Jet Nation will not stand for starting Fitz over Glennon for "development reasons". And when I say "sit him" I don’t mean the bullcrap benching, like what Glennon suffered in Tampa Bay. You know, wait for the crowd to boo and THEN put the rookie in so it’s like the "fans asked for it". I’m talking about taking an Aaron Rodgers type seat. The first thing a Jets fan will say is "Then why did we waste a draft pick on him"? And I will say to you today that this it’s a damn good question, because if he shows that he's not ready, he will be cast to the side by the fanbase...just like we always do, and it will ultimately be a waste of a season on a castoff veteran, just like it was in 1993 and like it was in 1997.

Why not just resign Fitzpatrick or draft Lynch then? Why even waste your time begging to trade for this failed benched QB that is obviously not very good? Everyone loves facts right, and they love to talk about what the Pundit's think. Well, the experts think that the most "NFL ready" free agent QB available is Fitzpatrick, our starter last year. He may not have the highest upside in terms of raw talent (the experts say), but he can make enough of the throws to set franchise records. One thing he does have is, the confidence of his teammates, the Jets coaches and the Jets offense skill players, all of whom love him and say he’s NFL ready RIGHT NOW....it's Fitz.

So, I ask again, why trade for a failed backup QB with some potential upside, but will most likely be labeled a bust 8 months from today over a guy who doesn’t have that rocket for an arm, though strong enough to set franchise records last year, and he understands the game and will make the right decisions with the football. Also, this isn’t a pro Fitzpatrick thread, this is why I even mentioned going as far as drafting Lynch or Hogan.

Why even put yourself though wanting to trade for a QB when you're not even interested in having the patience of even letting him develop? Geno Smith signed a 4 year deal and Jets fans were done with him after year 1. Sanchez signed a 5 year deal and Jets fans TRIED to be done with him after year 1 but he had a solid playoff run. Jets fans again tried to be done with him after year 2 but he had another solid playoff run....then we finally got to be done with him after year 3 because there was no playoff run for him to possibly redeem himself.

WTF is the point, really? I'd rather see us draft Lynch or Hogan than the Jets trade for Glennon and have to read the nonsense that will be all over this board in 8 months if Glennon has a bad season. And you should know its bad when Fish would rather draft Lynch then deal with that nonsense. lol.

We are not interested in developing quarterbacks. We want Andrew Luck. How about we just wait for the next Andrew Luck to hit the draft instead of wasting our time trading for an already once-failed soon-to-be-castoff backup QB that we won’t want on this team by December.

To all the Glennon supporters, this isn’t a shot at Glennon. I have many other threads to where I can take my shots at Glennon. This is about knowing this fanbase and knowing damn well that if he's already failed once and he's thrown into the fire we're going to do the same thing we always do...bitch and moan about how much of a bust he is and how he's unsalvageable.

So whats the point?  Really?

We like Lynch because we don't know how well he will do in a pro system.  We already know that Cook and Hack have played poorly in a pro system so they really shouldn't be options.  

So for a team with no starting QBs on the roster, no cap space to do squat, we are just hopeful that we can at least have a chance to not be in the QB market for once.

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Because:

- The last few 'developmental' QB's we have drafted we have stared immediately, thus no tangible development time.

- Sanchez had a 100% legit opportunity here, was given a top notch D and oline and running game, has some success team wise but then totally failed to improve on the things that make a bad Qb bad.

- Geno Smith showed no tangible sign of improvement in his time and even last year tossed away his 3rd chance by getting smashed in the face and hen by playing just like he did before in his one game in Oakland.  Also Geno smith was a mid 2nd round pick whom we owe NOTHING to and have invested little in.

We have a new plan in place, a proper one.  Get a vet Qb in place, draft the best guy you can, bring the new guy along slowly.  Hope it works out, if it doesn't you try again in a few years.

If we bring in a glennon for instance we have the same questions as if we had Geno, can this guy play?  How long do we give him?

I think it is a misconception to say Jet fans are harder than any other fan base on their young QBs .  A majority of the fans thought Sanchez was our guy despite his foibles and he only really got roasted fr later than he deserved to get roasted.

Sanchez: Probably because that top notch D, running game, offensive line, offensive weapons and special teams eroded right in front of us. But when he had it, we were a game away from the SB. Something should be said on that. This is probably what John Elway thought when he signed Sanchez. This guy was part of a Jets team that was a game away from the SB, twice, in both his rookie/sophomore years....and this Broncos team is MUCH better than that Jets team was as a whole. 

Geno: Shouldnt have even started his rookie season though he broke even. His 2nd season was the worst group of talent that I have personally ever seen the Jets put together to start a football season. And though I appreciate you taking the time to actually answer my question (many responded with rhetorical questions), the fanbase was STILL done with Geno after his first season...that was before the opportunity for the "tanbile sign of improvement". That 2nd season was also a bad season when it came to talent all together. This was why I was so excited to see what Geno could do last year before the "jaw" incident because Macc really replenished the roster not just with players, but playmakers. You dont think Fitz was a beneficiary of guys like Marshall's playmaking ability? Also remember, Geno also never had the "top notch D" that Sanchez had. 

Im not comparing the Jets fanbase to other fanbases. Im simply speaking about what I've seen over the many years that I've been a Jets fans...and more specifically over the past 8 years. Yeah, there were a few here and there that were Sanchez supporters, but the majority of fans were done with Sanchez, even though he showed that he could be part of a winning plan with players around him. We keep expecting elite, because that's what we want. So instead of being interested in developing what we have, we want it to be easy and just put all the weight on the QB. Only about 2 teams in the league have that luxury today....the Jets want it too. However, though Aaron Rogers makes the Packers a legit contender every year, its been a while since he's won a SB. 

Thanks for actually taking a crack at answering my question. Much appreciated. 

There was a point I was interested in Lynch with a caveat - that he came across well/football intelligent and is sharp. I have no idea how he looked on the board, but he kind of seemed like a bit of a goofball which is why I was concerned. Then he reportedly performed horribly on the Wonderlic. 

I don't think any of that is the be all end all, but it is somewhat concerning. If you're talking about bringing someone in and developing them, as you noted, I think you want them to be intelligent. Intelligence is only one factor of the evaluation, but I think it's more important when you have to teach someone how to play a position. I'll certainly root for Lynch if the Jets draft him, but I'm concerned about the idea of picking up a developmental guy who might not pick things up especially quickly. I also think they cited Petty's intelligence as a reason for their interest last year so I think/hope they're out on him. My guess is actually that Lynch slides to day 2 but who knows.

It seems your issue with Lynch is that he's a developmental prospect and Jets fans are interested in taking him but tend to be impatient. I think the hole in the logic there is that you're assuming everyone wants Lynch to start right away. Let's say for argument's sake that some of the unknowns about Lynch are answered in the affirmative - i.e. he absolutely killed it on the whiteboard, has a great football IQ even though he's not the sharpest guy, picks up concepts quickly, takes to coaching, etc and that became apparent to the FO/coaching staff throughout the process. A lot of my objections to him go out the window and I'd be interested.

But I actually want the Jets to take a developmental quarterback, sit him for a year or two behind Fitzpatrick, and let him learn the position. I don't want the Jets to draft a QB and start them right away because that's had such disastrous results in the past, and because they have a solid veteran QB right now who would make an excellent mentor for a bit. So if Lynch is a good developmental prospect from all angles I'm all for it. What I'm actually not interested in is a guy who's going to be there at 20 and is viewed as pro ready because that guy must have a bunch of other holes. In the third-fifth round a-la Hogan? Great. But I don't want to spend a premium-ish pick on somebody and throw them in the fire right away. I'd rather take someone with tools and develop them. Super premium selection (Luck, etc) is a completely different story of course. But that obviously isn't an option right now.

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think the idea is to keep developing guys until you strike it rich. If Petty can become a competent starter then we can begin with him. Then Lynch can learn for a year then you decide which has more promise. Let one go and draft another. 

Oh as for Lynch, he can move around has a big arm and produced to some extent in college, also improving each year.  He is a full notch below the top two, probably a notch below some other QBs in this draft as far as smarts, system go but well ahead of those others in physical ability.  The reason it is Lynch is just that he is the top rated guy that might be around for the Jets to take at 20.

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not comparing the Jets fanbase to other fanbases. Im simply speaking about what I've seen over the many years that I've been a Jets fans...and more specifically over the past 8 years. Yeah, there were a few here and there that were Sanchez supporters, but the majority of fans were done with Sanchez, even though he showed that he could be part of a winning plan with players around him. We keep expecting elite, because that's what we want. So instead of being interested in developing what we have, we want it to be easy and just put all the weight on the QB. Only about 2 teams in the league have that luxury today....the Jets want it too. However, though Aaron Rogers makes the Packers a legit contender every year, its been a while since he's won a SB. 

Nobody is expecting elite, we're expecting consistency. Sanchez had his moments but then he would be absolutely brutal with the turnovers. Same goes for Geno. You never knew which guy you were gonna get on Sunday.

At least with Fitz last year, we kinda knew we were gonna get 2TDS to 1INT at the least. If we can have that again this coming year and draft a QB, he won't have to play till year 2. 

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Nobody is expecting elite, we're expecting consistency. Sanchez had his moments but then he would be absolutely brutal with the turnovers. Same goes for Geno. You never knew which guy you were gonna get on Sunday.

At least with Fitz last year, we kinda knew we were gonna get 2TDS to 1INT at the least. If we can have that again this coming year and draft a QB, he won't have to play till year 2. 

I bet Buffalo had similar expectations after giving Fitz big money.

Also Fitz may have been consistent because he had a consistently good team (coach, OC, offensive weapons and a defense) around him.  Remove all of those.  Think he'd still be consistently good?

Just now, Mike135 said:

I bet Buffalo had similar expectations after giving Fitz big money.

Also Fitz may have been consistent because he had a consistently good team (coach, OC, offensive weapons and a defense) around him.  Remove all of those.  Think he'd still be consistently good?

He was consistently good last year, no one gives a fug what excuse people want to bring up for why they think he is awful but still got good results for total fluke reasons.

No one knows how he will do next year, no one can guarantee that he was not good becasue of any reason you wish to drum up.  He was consistently good last year.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He was consistently good last year, no one gives a fug what excuse people want to bring up for why they think he is awful but still got good results for total fluke reasons.

Apparently many do give a fug.  Here, on talk radio and most importantly in the Jets' front office (otherwise he'd be signed by now).

Archived