Paxton Lynch to Bills rumors

AFJF

I've seen several mocks and analysts say that the Jets will have to jump over the Bills if they want Lynch because the will snag him at 19.  

How does this make any sense if Rex and Whaley have been given an ultimatum to make the post-season this year or they're out?  A project QB who needs  a year or two of seasoning is going to be picked by a team who has to make the playoffs this season?

Am I off base in thinking that's insane?

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I've seen several mocks and analysts say that the Jets will have to jump over the Bills if they want Lynch because the will snag him at 19.  

How does this make any sense if Rex and Whaley have been given an ultimatum to make the post-season this year or they're out?  A project QB who needs  a year or two of seasoning is going to be picked by a team who has to make the playoffs this season?

Why, it's almost as if Rex doesn't know what he's doing!

There is way too much speculation about the Jets and Lynch going on to believe that Mac has any intention of drafting him at #20. I think the Jets are going to hit a grand slam and draft the BPA at a position that nobody even thinks of right now. Everyone knows that it doesn't matter if Rex Ryan gets fired or not, all that DOES matter in his very small brain is doing any and everything possible to try and cause Woody Johnson and us Jets fans pain.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Makes no sense. The biggest teams to fear are Chicago and the saints. Both teams have very old QB's that are very overpaid with contracts expiring/can expire after this year. Lynch is not getting by 11/12. 

Some smart team will trade up and snipe Lynch in the top 10.

If you need a QB you don't pass up a 6'-7" rarity with a great arm and unusual mobility for his size.

He's special. 36" vertical jump, 11.5" hands. He almost can't fail.

Marino, Kelly, Bradshaw, McNabb all scored lower Wonderlics than Lynch.

If you want him you don't flounder around. You make a move and get it done. 

Mike Mayock tonight predicted us to take Lynch at 20 and the Bills to take Ole Miss DT Robert Nkemdiche. But I don't agree with Mayock on anything. He thinks it's smart to trade a ton of picks for an unproven Qb prospect and his number 1 rated player is a Qb from NDST. 

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mike Mayock tonight predicted us to take Lynch at 20 and the Bills to take Ole Miss DT Robert Nkemdiche. But I don't agree with Mayock on anything. He thinks it's smart to trade a ton of picks for an unproven Qb prospect and his number 1 rated player is a Qb from NDST. 

All QB prospects are UNPROVEN FWIW

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Makes more sense if you view it as the Bills trading back with a team who jumps the jets for Lynch. Bills might aim for a guy like Jones in the 3rd/4th round, but pretty low chance they draft a qb in the first two rounds.

Bears fans would love a player like Mo Wilkerson, I think that team needs some veteran leadership, they're like a rudderless ship. We'll see, but even the Bears might be thinking about their future @ QB. I mean Cutler really is a tool but he's got mad skills. Cutler just needs to be coached by a tougher regime. Like I've said before he's way too risky, he could have Forte wide open in the flat & he'll throw 40 yard out. His arm is incredible though. 

While I doubt it could ever happen, could you imagine the fireworks of a Cutler to Marshall, Decker, Treadwell, Amaro, Forte type of offense? Be really fun to watch & would scare the sh*t out of the Pats secondary. When's the last time that team really had to worry about getting beat deep by the Jets?

10 hours ago, jetrider said:

Some smart team will trade up and snipe Lynch in the top 10.

If you need a QB you don't pass up a 6'-7" rarity with a great arm and unusual mobility for his size.

He's special. 36" vertical jump, 11.5" hands. He almost can't fail.

Marino, Kelly, Bradshaw, McNabb all scored lower Wonderlics than Lynch.

If you want him you don't flounder around. You make a move and get it done. 

Makes no sense-you mention size arm and mobility-all nice but with a qb you start with head, and accuracy  arm strength and pocket awareness. He has great arm strength  and size but but his accuracy is a question mark. Not knocking him but his value is further reduced by the system in which he played. Have no problem if he falls to us but top 10?????? 

I'm starting to get worried that we will take him. I read one thing online that said Mac subscribes to this theory that you keep drafting Qbs until you get one to be your starter. Personally I think you're wasting picks and taking away from the kind of depth on the lines and in the secondary you have to build. There are times and players when it is smart to draft a Qb and we've drafted a lot of them. If the team doesn't sign Fitz and we get terrible Qb play and it leads to a losing season Mac will take the blame and rightfully so. 

I think if someone like Bosa or Myles Jack does NOT fall to Cleveland at 8, they may well take Lynch there.  As we know, the original thought was that they'd traded back partly because they think they can get Lynch there, and since that time, the Browns have been talking up defensive prospects a bunch of late. 

Conventional wisdom says Ezekiel Elliott goes to Cleveland, but the Browns did not bring him in for a visit. 

17 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Makes no sense-you mention size arm and mobility-all nice but with a qb you start with head, and accuracy  arm strength and pocket awareness. He has great arm strength  and size but but his accuracy is a question mark. Not knocking him but his value is further reduced by the system in which he played. Have no problem if he falls to us but top 10?????? 

His accuracy is no problem. Almost 68% and his yards per attempt was much higher than Wentz's.  

The only way this kid fails is if he lacks competitiveness.  Which by everything I've ever read, is off the charts.  He single handedly made Memphis relevant.

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

I have seen "experts" mock draft us taking a DL in the 1st. Don't even bother taking any of their opinions into account. 

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think if someone like Bosa or Myles Jack does NOT fall to Cleveland at 8, they may well take Lynch there.  As we know, the original thought was that they'd traded back partly because they think they can get Lynch there, and since that time, the Browns have been talking up defensive prospects a bunch of late. 

Conventional wisdom says Ezekiel Elliott goes to Cleveland, but the Browns did not bring him in for a visit. 

I've read that Miami would swap with Cle if Elliott falls to 8.

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Knowing how Rex operates he will take Lynch just BECAUSE the Jets want him. I wouldn't be too disappointed if they did take him because I don't think the Jets are sold on him anyway. An 18 on the Wonderlich test and questions about his maturity have surfaced, which may be a smokescreen, or may be how the Jets really feel about him. I would trade down to the late 20's and take Connor Cook just before Denver does.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wouldn't touch Zeke at 8.  There are other RB's in this draft that are special. Browns are such a mess they really should trade back and get more picks and totally revamp their roster.  They've already traded numerous starters.  They have to replace those positions from the housecleaning. 

3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I wouldn't touch Zeke at 8.  There are other RB's in this draft that are special. Browns are such a mess they really should trade back and get more picks and totally revamp their roster.  They've already traded numerous starters.  They have to replace those positions from the housecleaning. 

Yeah, I think they're waiting to see if an elite prospect falls to them.  If not they'll entertain offers.  Between the trade with Philly and another potential trade down, they have some big-time potential to pile up draft capital.  Considering their franchise's recent decision to fully embrace analytics, it makes sense.  If they can trade down a few spots and still get a guy like Laquon Treadwell or Shaq Lawson, or maybe snag Lynch if they like him enough, they'll be in awesome shape.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Knowing how Rex operates he will take Lynch just BECAUSE the Jets want him. 

Oh please. Nobody in a playoffs-or-get-fired season is drafting a QB in round 1 to spite another team. Jets fans may hate Ryan, but Ryan doesn't hate the Jets, let alone enough to talk his GM (equally on the hot seat) into using the team's 1st round pick for spite. So what you're "knowing" here is nothing. 

Why would Buffalo take Lynch? Because he's been in the identical system Greg Roman runs up there. Lynch fits them better than other teams as a rookie (in the same way Mariota would have lock & key fit Philadelphia with Kelly's offense last year). Compound that with Whaley and Taylor are supposedly FAR apart in extension terms. 

Denver already called Buffalo about trading for Taylor. It's undoubtedly related to why Buffalo was in the running for trading up to #1 overall for Goff, despite the confusion here as to why. They could then recoup some of that trade-up cost by trading Taylor to Denver. Kubiak spent a year with Taylor as Baltimore's OC in 2014, so he knows him well (Denver actually outbid Buffalo for Taylor in 2015, and that was before he had his good first-year season as starter). While the sticking point may be Whaley's asking price, it's also possible that they were just not trading him until they'd successfully moved up to #1, and still won't until they've actually drafted Lynch (so they don't end up with nobody).

39 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I would have taken Gurley at 6 last year, Mac blew it, Shane Ray would have been my second choice, and we could have traded back to get them

now if we want Zeke, we pay big with extra picks, starting to really lose confidence in Mac, hopefully things change fast, but I think he's very average

and really last year proves he really isn't an elite evaluator of talent.  The Broncos on the other hand.....

Archived