You better not let me down MacCagnan!

Beerfish

Each year I follow the draft closely, each year I toss out lots of mocks, have a lot of discussions on forums like this and have the endless wait for the draft to happen, in most years I end up disappointed to some extent after the draft is over.  Either the team trades half their picks (Tanny), has tons of picks and just makes idiotic picks (Idzik).  Even the years when the team starts out doing things really well they find a way to earn some disapproval for doing something dumb.  (The Dbrick-Mangold draft and Tannys Schlegel episode).

For once at the end of the draft I want to be happy with each pick, be happy with each trade and put my seal of approval on the draft.....well....becasue I should be an NFL GM!  (Just like the rest of you.)

You better not F this up MacCagnan!

One thing we have going for us is the date.  April 28 has been a great draft day for the Jets throughout their history.

4/28/81:  Freeman McNeil

4/28/07: Darrelle Revis and David Harris

4/28/11: Muhammad Wilkerson

Only other date the draft began on 4/28 was in 1987.  Even though we didn't take him, that was the year Vinny went #1 overall to Tampa (We took Roger Vick).

Time for another impact player on 4/28 -- I agree, Macc had better not screw this up.  His first pick with his entire scouting staff in place. Gotta make it count.

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Each year I follow the draft

For once at the end of the draft I want to be happy with each pick, be happy with each trade and put my seal of approval on the draft.

The annual mustering of hope, and subsequent disappointment is what makes a Jets fan a Jets fan. 

Personally, I thought Mac's draft last year was mediocre at best. Williams was a very good pick BUT hard to screw up when you pick at #6. I would have taken Gurley over Williams. He's a dynamic back, very special.  And we were loaded at DL. Just didn't make much sense to me.  That BPA mentality doesn't always pan out.  Devin Smith has been a disaster.  Mauldin a decent pick with potential.  Petty 4,Harrison 5, Deon Smith 7, have contributed ZILCH and look like they wont either.  Late round picks rarely make teams anyways so you really have to hit on those first 4 rounds.  Even his free agent signings were suspect.  His saving grace was Fitz.  If Fitz played like Fitz was expected to play, we would have been lucky to win 4 games. He shocked the NFL world last year. Mac totally stepped in a big pile of doo doo when Fitz turned into Joe Kapp last year. Very fortunate.  And revamping the secondary was also smart BUT at that cost (its now biting us on the butt).  Splish splash we're taking a bath.  No money for Mo.  So, in retrospect, he did some very good things, got very very lucky with others and bombed on some moves.  No one would have blamed him if the Jets went 4-12 last year. No one.  Even if the y go .500 this year it will be considered a win with the schedule we are facing and the lack of a franchise QB.  All this is understandable but what I really want to see is a Jets GM, for once, gather talent that sticks in the draft and contribute.  You build through the draft.  IMO, the verdict is still out on Mac.      

11 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Personally, I thought Mac's draft last year was mediocre at best. Williams was a very good pick BUT hard to screw up when you pick at #6. I would have taken Gurley over Williams. He's a dynamic back, very special.  And we were loaded at DL. Just didn't make much sense to me.  That BPA mentality doesn't always pan out.  Devin Smith has been a disaster.  Mauldin a decent pick with potential.  Petty 4,Harrison 5, Deon Smith 7, have contributed ZILCH and look like they wont either.  Late round picks rarely make teams anyways so you really have to hit on those first 4 rounds.  Even his free agent signings were suspect.  His saving grace was Fitz.  If Fitz played like Fitz was expected to play, we would have been lucky to win 4 games. He shocked the NFL world last year. Mac totally stepped in a big pile of doo doo when Fitz turned into Joe Kapp last year. Very fortunate.  And revamping the secondary was also smart BUT at that cost (its now biting us on the butt).  Splish splash we're taking a bath.  No money for Mo.  So, in retrospect, he did some very good things, got very very lucky with others and bombed on some moves.  No one would have blamed him if the Jets went 4-12 last year. No one.  Even if the y go .500 this year it will be considered a win with the schedule we are facing and the lack of a franchise QB.  All this is understandable but what I really want to see is a Jets GM, for once, gather talent that sticks in the draft and contribute.  You build through the draft.  IMO, the verdict is still out on Mac.      

I don't agree about Gurley, It worked out great for the Rams but there was a lot of risk with that pick with a RB coming off a very major injury.  I agree about Smith, even when he was not injured he looked as raw as hamburger out there.  Way too early to pass judgment on Petty and the rest.  I'm pretty surprised so many people expected to see anything from petty and frankly i don't know what people are basing their thoughts that he has not panned out at all.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't agree about Gurley, It worked out great for the Rams but there was a lot of risk with that pick with a RB coming off a very major injury.  I agree about Smith, even when he was not injured he looked as raw as hamburger out there.  Way too early to pass judgment on Petty and the rest.  I'm pretty surprised so many people expected to see anything from petty and frankly i don't know what people are basing their thoughts that he has not panned out at all.

The Gurley 'risk' was overhyped.  And it would have been worth the risk anyways.  Kid is off the hook!  We haven't had a runner like that since Freeman McNeil.  And Petty is already been labeled a BUST by Mac. Read between the lines.  Mac already explored trading up to #1 in this year's draft.  He's looking for his QB and Petty doesn't factor into that.   

10 minutes ago, Powpow said:

The Gurley 'risk' was overhyped.  And it would have been worth the risk anyways.  Kid is off the hook!  We haven't had a runner like that since Freeman McNeil.  And Petty is already been labeled a BUST by Mac. Read between the lines.  Mac already explored trading up to #1 in this year's draft.  He's looking for his QB and Petty doesn't factor into that.   

Nonsense, revisionist history, gurley was a risk it's easy to say it was over played after the fact.  The Jets would have been killed by everyone if they took Gurley at 6.  Hell we have picked guys like Milliner at 9 that has been a walking injury and Rb is a more physical position.  I don't disagree with you about the impact of premium back as I'd like nothing better than to get Elliot this year but it was far from  slam dunk re gurley that our front office should be blamed for when the top rated player in the whole draft falls to you.

No, Mac has said nothing of the sort, only people that are looking for that analysis before hand would come to that conclusion.  This front office and coaching staff unlike the rex area are very measured in their praise about anyone.  Also the guy was a friggin 4th rounder coming from a spread offense.  Anyone with any big expectations from petty so far is bizarre.  Fourth rounder,.,.,,,say that again......4th rounder.  When the Jets sign a vet and draft a Qb anywhere in this draft Geno will be gone, not petty.

Archived