With all this flack over the QB

Jetster

What the hell is Macc supposed to do to make Jet fans happy?

There are so few choices & things he can look into but it seems everything that's discussed on this board is rejected by 3/4 of the fan base as ridiculous,lol.

I was thinking about this the other day & I've come to the conclusion that ANYTHING Macc does to try to find a QB is all right with me. What the hell are his alternatives? Screw it man, I'll take freaking Bradford, or Cutler, or Fitz if he wants to sign cheaply for 1 year. I'll even take freaking Foles, at least he ACTUALLY had a better season than Fitz in his career. My momma always told me, "money doesn't grow on trees", well neither do QBs. Craps me up how anything mentioned on here there's so much dissension.

Fitz? Sucks! Can't win when he has too! Foles? Sucks man, Cutler? Too expensive, sucks, blah, blah, Bradford? Injury prone, sucks!, Petty? Not ready, what a wasted pick, Geno? Fuggetaboutit! Draft a guy like Lynch? Guy sucks & he's ugly, don't like his face! Cook? NO, and on & on & on it goes, where it stops nobody knows.

Agreed. Every QB coming out of college has concerns about being NFL ready. That can't scare you into never drafting one, or waiting for some magical "perfect" QB to come out. Keep drafting them until you find one, IMO.

Macc was put in a tough spot when he came here, and decided to try to make the team as competitive as possible.  At 10-6, we should have been a playoff team without even needing that Bills victory, but alas we were left out.

Now we're in no-mans land in this draft.  Too far back to move up for a top QB. 

But it's hard to blame Macc for that.  Personally I blame our past regimes for failing to tank properly.  In 2007 we beat the Chiefs in a meaningless game, placing us in the 6 slot.  Had we lost that game, maybe we draft Matt Ryan.  Say what you will about Matt Ryan, but his Falcons, who were terrible before he arrived, won double digit games 3 of his first 4 seasons in the league.  Then we had the Rex debacle.  We failed to fire him during the 2014 bye week like we should have, won some meaningless games, and it cost us a shot at a top QB, OR at least the opportunity to trade down for a king's ransom.

The NFL is becoming a lot like the NBA.  In the NBA, you need a superstar to succeed.  And being a .500 team is the worst place to be.  Either you need to make a run for a title OR you have to tank completely and try to draft a superstar.  Much of the same is becoming true for the NFL.  8-8 is the worst place to be.  If you don't tank properly, you either miss out on a top QB OR you have to give up a ton of draft capital to get one.  You absolutely need a QB to build around or you will never be in the running for a title.  It sucks.

In short, Woody Johnson was the problem.  He might still be, but so far, I like what I've seen out of his GM and HC hires this time around.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc was put in a tough spot when he came here, and decided to try to make the team as competitive as possible.  At 10-6, we should have been a playoff team without even needing that Bills victory, but alas we were left out.

But it's hard to blame Macc for that.  Personally I blame our past regimes for failing to tank properly.  In 2008 we beat the Chiefs in a meaningless game, placing us in the 6 slot.  Had we lost that game, maybe we draft Matt Ryan.  Say what you will about Matt Ryan, but his Falcons, who were terrible before he arrived, won double digit games 3 of his first 4 seasons in the league.  Then we had the Rex debacle.  We failed to fire him during the 2014 bye week like we should have, won some meaningless games, and it cost us a shot at a top QB, OR at least the opportunity to trade down for a king's ransom.

The NFL is becoming a lot like the NBA.  In the NBA, you need a superstar to succeed.  And being a .500 team is the worst place to be.  Either you need to make a run for a title OR you have to tank completely and try to draft a superstar.  Much of the same is becoming true for the NFL.  8-8 is the worst place to be.  If you don't tank properly, you either miss out on a top QB OR you have to give up a ton of draft capital to get one.  You absolutely need a QB to build around or you will never be in the running for a title.  It sucks.

In short, Woody Johnson was the problem.  He might still be, but so far, I like what I've seen out of his GM and HC hires this time around.

you meant 2007 Chiefs.

what would firing Rex at the bye week have done? you want to tank.  I'd rather never get a QB than have the loser mentality of tanking.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But it's hard to blame Macc for that.  Personally I blame our past regimes for failing to tank properly.  In 2008 we beat the Chiefs in a meaningless game, placing us in the 6 slot.  Had we lost that game, maybe we draft Matt Ryan.  Say what you will about Matt Ryan, but his Falcons, who were terrible before he arrived, won double digit games 3 of his first 4 seasons in the league.  Then we had the Rex debacle.  We failed to fire him during the 2014 bye week like we should have, won some meaningless games, and it cost us a shot at a top QB, OR at least the opportunity to trade down for a king's ransom.

I wouldn't say tank but we tend to overspend on veterans for short term gains rather than just completely rebuild.  Today's NFL is a lot different than 15 years ago.  You can compete with a QB.  Without a good QB, you can't win it all, even with the #1 defense and #1 running game.

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But it's hard to blame Macc for that.  Personally I blame our past regimes for failing to tank properly.  In 2007 we beat the Chiefs in a meaningless game, placing us in the 6 slot.  Had we lost that game, maybe we draft Matt Ryan.  Say what you will about Matt Ryan, but his Falcons, who were terrible before he arrived, won double digit games 3 of his first 4 seasons in the league.  Then we had the Rex debacle.  We failed to fire him during the 2014 bye week like we should have, won some meaningless games, and it cost us a shot at a top QB, OR at least the opportunity to trade down for a king's ransom.

We'd have been in no man's land basically anywhere other than #1 or #2 as far as QB goes. Lynch would be a reach in the top 10 and even with a high pick we would have struggled to beat the offers made by LA and Philly if we wanted Goff/Wentz.

I actually the league's becoming slightly less QB friendly than it was a few years ago for whatever reason. 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens and Broncos have all built Superbowl competing teams around defence. That's not to say it isn't still by far the most important position but I think we're seeing a trend towards the dominant defence being the Championship winning factor it was.

There was a period before where it was just Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers looking unstoppable against everyone, even guys like Stafford were throwing 5000 yards and 40+ TD's. Maybe the defensive guys are adjusting to the new rules, I dunno.

10 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We'd have been in no man's land basically anywhere other than #1 or #2 as far as QB goes. Lynch would be a reach in the top 10 and even with a high pick we would have struggled to beat the offers made by LA and Philly if we wanted Goff/Wentz.

I actually the league's becoming slightly less QB friendly than it was a few years ago for whatever reason. 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens and Broncos have all built Superbowl competing teams around defence. That's not to say it isn't still by far the most important position but I think we're seeing a trend towards the dominant defence being the Championship winning factor it was.

There was a period before where it was just Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers looking unstoppable against everyone, even guys like Stafford were throwing 5000 yards and 40+ TD's. Maybe the defensive guys are adjusting to the new rules, I dunno.

I would count Seattle and Balt as have a better a QB than we've had in quite some time.  A QB as good as them , Either of them, win a SB in 2009, Maybe 2010.

36 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I would count Seattle and Balt as have a better a QB than we've had in quite some time.  A QB as good as them , Either of them, win a SB in 2009, Maybe 2010.

QB ws not why we didn't win in 2009 or 2010.  the overrated D was why we lost both games, if they show up and play like an elite D we win both games.

Archived