Late word emerges of a Paxton Lynch free fall

32EBoozer

30 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Well paying them as college players is a separate issue which I do agree with.

However that doesn't fix the issue that NCAA football is a joke.  Don't think you could allow the NFL to run college ball.  So only other option is a separate league.  Perhaps the legitimate threat alone would push college ball to stop being so "gimmicky".

I agree 100% with everything you're saying. The NCAA as a minor league is a joke. The people who don't realize this are the same types that think Tebow wasn't given a fair shake. 

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Geno smart?  ahahahahahaha!

Ask any former WVU student who knew him.  I have, BTW.  Geno is dumber than a door knob.  One of the various reasons I can't stand him on this team.  

I've never met either, so I can't say for sure.  I can only go by reports.

Geno Smith Strengths:

• Displays of excellent accuracy
  • Intelligent
  • Hard worker
  • Puts in a lot of time in the film room
  • Decision-making
  • Excellent ball security
  • Rarely ever throws interceptions
  • Field vision
  • Accurate in college
  • Strong arm; can make all the throws
  • Quick-strike capabilities
  • Pushes the ball downfield
  • Athletic
  • Can make plays with his feet
  • Experienced and fits well in a West Coast offense
  • Improves the play of his teammates
  • Distributes the ball to a variety of weapons
  • Very good on touch passes
  • Confident
  • Hangs tough in the pocket
  • Durable
  • Scheme versatility

• Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013gsmith.php#MkzQkUxFtHFI8Yus.99

Per tony pauline

Memphis_logo.gif Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis  
Staying on the quarterback position, I'm told during interviews on official visits with teams, Paxton Lynch seemed to deflect blame to many of the critical questions thrown his way. While I'm told he did not throw anyone under the bus, it seemed he made a number of excuses, and those on hand during the interviews came a way believing Lynch is not yet ready to be the guy to lead a franchise. That may come in time, but the overwhelming sense I'm getting is Lynch would be better off in a situation where he won't be force-fed into the starting lineup then have to face the media after game day. 

PennState_logo.gif Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State  
Conversely, I am hearing good things on the interviews from Christian Hackenberg. More to the point, I'm told Hackenberg took responsibility when asked uncomfortable questions admitting certain things were his fault. These same folks told me reports of Hackenberg throwing Penn State coach James Franklin under the bus are tenuous at best. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#1WpcWs8IEKX7WoAC.99

37 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If jets take Hack over Lynch, Macc is dead to me.

In fact, I'll be dead to me. I'll gas myself in the garage in my underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The smart move is take either Decker, Conklin or Apple and get a qb in rounds 2-3

38 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is it really a free-fall? Or is it just people needed sh*t to talk about the past month? Because the guy's grade was never really that high in the first place.

I don't know how lynch ever got so overrated as a prospect to begin with.  His celing is a poor man's Kaepernick

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

Someone help me here-Roethisberger and Flacco were both picked in the middle of the first round.  They were big, athletic and strong but obviously played for small schools against inferior competition.  They ended up as players the Jets would probably love to have.

What are people seeing in Lynch that would not make those two examples a good comparison?  The fact that he did not take a snap under center?  Wonderlic score?

What I find interesting about Lynch is the fact that he completed well over 60% of his passes throwing to nobody receivers.  Were Cooks and Hackenburg's percentages so much worse because they were throwing AGAINST good defensive backs.

If we didn't have Petty, I'd agree.  The argument of taking QBs every year until ya hit the jackpot sounds good, but doesn't really make much sense when you think about it.

Say we take Lynch, then what?  If the plan is to then start Geno and forget about Fitz.  SIGN ME UP!

But otherwise, who gets dropped?  Geno isn't going anywhere this season anyway.  Are we gonna carry 4 QBs and not have the ability to develop any of the young guys?

I will believe some things but I won't believe that Cimini has any real sources in the organization with credible information.  The guy has never broken a bit of news about the Jets in my memory.  If he is being told stuff it is just as likely for phony smokescreen purposes.

This is the usual sports media whipsaw. Take the story early from the agent that this guy is hot. Run days/weeks of stories on it. Get it hyped then run more stories on the hype. Then deflate the hype by taking the temperature of team management. Then run that story. Then run the story about the whole cycle. 

40 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Agreed.  I don't know why any of us believed Macc would know how to find a QB anyway.  It's not like Houston (where he spent quite a while) ever developed a QB they drafted.  So there's that.  

I guess stay the course for yet another late round scrub who has no chance of ever playing in an actual game.  And we can keep running out Geno, or Hoyer each year as we continue our playoff drought.

I agree with the statement regarding his maturity level.  He seems more like a fratboy than the Face Of A Franchise.  I heard that during his visit with the Jets, Mike Mac was bent down on one knee tying his shoe, when all of a sudden Lynch runs behind Big Macs head yelled ,"LYNCH BOMB" and farted!!! 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

College "football" is a joke.  The NFL needs to setup a paid amateur league college kids can play in instead of wasting their time in the NCAA.

don't think you can use those 2 words together.

Mac knew Fitz from Houston so that was a great signing. And he must have followed Petty since he was also in the state of Texas. And he traded up for Petty. If he drafts a Qb basically it indicates no confidence in Petty. I think one big surprise this weekend might be trading Geno. It makes sense to keep him this year but if he's not in their plans he could have value as a cheap backup with starting experience. If me I'd keep him and that's probably what will happen unless they make a move on a Qb,

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I know you love Lynch, but you are WAY overrating his potential. His potential is just that, potential. He played in a gimmick offense, has attitude issues and was throwing quick short pass after short pass in college. Even in the game that propelled him into the national spotlight, he needed 53 attempts to throw for 380 yards against Ole miss. 

Hackenberg looked great as a freshmen in a system that suited him and then fell apart when he was playing behind an offensive line decimated by sanctions. Not to mention an offensive scheme that also didn't fit his playing style. With that said, he made way too many awful throws to justify taking him in the 1st. 

I'm not saying Lynch can't be better than Hackenberg, but to act like you know for sure that Lynch will be better is ridiculous and just one persons opinion. Both kids have great arms with some question marks. I'd rather have Lynch, but I'd rather have Hackenberg in the 2nd than Lynch in the 1st. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mac knew Fitz from Houston so that was a great signing. And he must have followed Petty since he was also in the state of Texas. And he traded up for Petty. If he drafts a Qb basically it indicates no confidence in Petty. I think one big surprise this weekend might be trading Geno. It makes sense to keep him this year but if he's not in their plans he could have value as a cheap backup with starting experience. If me I'd keep him and that's probably what will happen unless they make a move on a Qb,

if they take lynch i think it means mccags wants several chances to find a legit starting qb.  he doesn't have unlimited time to do it, gms either get a qb or they're gone.  show me a gm who survives for any length of time with one team who failed to find a starting qb.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

if they take lynch i think it means mccags wants several chances to find a legit starting qb.  he doesn't have unlimited time to do it, gms either get a qb or they're gone.  show me a gm who survives for any length of time with one team who failed to find a starting qb.  

Well if Lynch is a project as most people say it's not going to be too fast. You would think Petty after a year in the system would be more game ready. Unless they think he's not NFL.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, the 60 or 70 kids who will never sniff an nfl camp should forget about their education in the vane hope of making it in the nfl.

More than that, how many would have been NFL regulars, with multi-million dollar guaranteed contracts, so they can take on those similar risks again after college, is unrealistic. Especially considering there are positions - RB most notably - where players have a short shelf life as it is. But even aside from RB, as soon as they hit the magic number they're already talked about being on "the wrong side of 30" regardless of position. That's all they need is to have their careers shortened by another 1-3 years to play in a developmental league for peanuts.

No doubt there are some - QBs in particular - who would benefit from this, but that isn't enough to tip the scales for the rest of them. The risk of injury vs getting paid now is the reason guys come out after their junior seasons as it stands now.

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well if Lynch is a project as most people say it's not going to be too fast. You would think Petty after a year in the system would be more game ready. Unless they think he's not NFL.

I think Bowles mentioned that he and Macc felt that Petty's ceiling was a quality back up.  If they had an inclination about Petty's potential to be any thing else, they wouldn't have scoured across the country scouting and meeting with every QB prospect in the country.  They didn't do that last year.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Paxton Lynch will be a 2nd rounder, the Jets will draft Hackenberg if they get the chance on their terms.  I see Lynch going to Browns Rd 2, because one they have the picks to gamble, and two have RGIII who I believe Hue Jackson plans on giving a chance to be the QB this year, letting Paxton sit. 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

More than that, how many would have been NFL regulars, with multi-million dollar guaranteed contracts, so they can take on those similar risks again after college, is unrealistic. Especially considering there are positions - RB most notably - where players have a short shelf life as it is. But even aside from RB, as soon as they hit the magic number they're already talked about being on "the wrong side of 30" regardless of position. That's all they need is to have their careers shortened by another 1-3 years to play in a developmental league for peanuts.

No doubt there are some - QBs in particular - who would benefit from this, but that isn't enough to tip the scales for the rest of them. The risk of injury vs getting paid now is the reason guys come out after their junior seasons as it stands now.

That's why NFLE was so great for the league AND the lower tier players. You could develop OL or QBs, while giving other guys a way to play Football for decent money for a few years that doesn't involve Saskatchewan or Calgary....lol

28 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I think Bowles mentioned that he and Macc felt that Petty's ceiling was a quality back up.  If they had an inclination about Petty's potential to be any thing else, they wouldn't have scoured across the country scouting and meeting with every QB prospect in the country.  They didn't do that last year.

I don't remember how many Qbs they met with last year but they drafted one. So I assume they did their due diligence at the combine, etc. But I do recall that comment on Petty's ceiling. Just not sure if he really meant it and that eliminates Petty as a starter some day, Mac did recently say that he's glad Petty is on the Jets. But that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. I could see if they draft a Qb esp high at the end of camp cutting Petty and trying to PS him. He was on the active roster all of 2015 and dressed for a few games and was Fitz's backup. So they must have had some faith in him.

35 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Reading comprehension is important, because Macc and Bowles said nothing of the sort if you read the entire quote from Macc:

"We feel, ability-wise, he can definitely be a quality No. 2 (quarterback)," he said. "The rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to do it on the field and in the preseason, so we can kind of see where he's at. We're excited to work with him."

19 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Reading comprehension is important, because Macc and Bowles said nothing of the sort if you read the entire quote from Macc:

"We feel, ability-wise, he can definitely be a quality No. 2 (quarterback)," he said. "The rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to do it on the field and in the preseason, so we can kind of see where he's at. We're excited to work with him."

I read it and interpreted it the exact way that I posted.  Sure, if Petty improves more than anyone expects, sure he can be Tom Brady.  

Is that impossible, no.  Is it likely, probably not.

But what he SAID was quality no 2.  

17 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I read it and interpreted it the exact way that I posted.  Sure, if Petty improves more than anyone expects, sure he can be Tom Brady.  

Is that impossible, no.  Is it likely, probably not.

But what he SAID was quality no 2.  

He said right now he's a number 2 with potential to be a starter if he puts the work in and shows them progress. Keep in mind he said this back in January

14 minutes ago, cant wait said:

He said right now he's a number 2 with potential to be a starter if he puts the work in and shows them progress. Keep in mind he said this back in January

Actually he said he has the ability to be a quality #2, not that he is a quality #2. The only thing that pencils him in as our #2 right this minute is that there are only 2 QBs on the roster. If he looks good/improved in camp - which I'd welcome with open arms - then he'll at least secure that #2 position. 

But it was not exactly a glowing endorsement.

Saying he has the "physical ability to be a starting-caliber QB"is weak, and frankly it's a backhanded compliment. There are probably a dozen guys in this draft (not to mention UDFAs) who have the physical ability to be a starting caliber QB, as did nearly every bust QB draft pick not named Tim Tebow. Geno Smith has that physical ability as well, and it couldn't be more obvious the team is/was looking to both Fitzpatrick and the draft to make alternative plans. They even brought in Hoyer. What possible role would Brian freaking Hoyer have, at some $5m, if they're going to draft someone and keep both Geno and Petty? Plus "starting caliber" isn't exactly "pro bowl caliber" either. Hoyer is starting caliber and he stinks.

As much as I want him to grow into the starting role, I'd actually be more optimistic about Petty if they'd said less. 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Someone help me here-Roethisberger and Flacco were both picked in the middle of the first round.  They were big, athletic and strong but obviously played for small schools against inferior competition.  They ended up as players the Jets would probably love to have.

What are people seeing in Lynch that would not make those two examples a good comparison?  The fact that he did not take a snap under center?  Wonderlic score?

What I find interesting about Lynch is the fact that he completed well over 60% of his passes throwing to nobody receivers.  Were Cooks and Hackenburg's percentages so much worse because they were throwing AGAINST good defensive backs.

Did you read the threads about him?  I have explained why many times Lynch will fail. THE GUY WILL NOT STAND UP IN THE FACE OF PRESSURE AND DELIVER THE BALL KNOWING HE WILL GET HIT! Every time the pocket is collapsing he is demonstrating happy feet, backpedaling, throwing off his back foot, panicking, or all of the above.  

Flacco and Ben are men that take the hit.  Lynch is afraid of contact. Watch full game film on him, see for yourself.

Did you read the threads about him?  I have explained why many times Lynch will fail. THE GUY WILL NOT STAND UP IN THE FACE OF PRESSURE AND DELIVER THE BALL KNOWING HE WILL GET HIT! Every time the pocket is collapsing he is demonstrating happy feet, backpedaling, throwing off his back foot, panicking, or all of the above.  

Flacco and Ben are men that take the hit.  Lynch is afraid of contact. Watch full game film on him, see for yourself.

What a load of Sh*t. You're either a moron, or a liar. Pick one.

Paxton is the LEAST happiest feet qb in the draft. He stands and delivers. That's all he does.

Why am I even wasting my time on this Neanderthal

During a redshirt year, Lynch grew an inch and gained 20 pounds. He became a starter in 2013 as a redshirt freshman and started for the next three years. Last season, he threw for 3,778 yards with 28 touchdowns and just four interceptions. He completed 69.1 percent of his passes and led an upset over Mississippi.

“The first thing that jumps out is his physical presence,” said Cincinnati associate head coach Robert Prunty, who faced Lynch three times. “He’s a big guy. Then when you see him run, how athletic he is, the way he can elude tackles. When we played them, the thing that amazed me was on the bootleg play how he can get out of the pocket on those bootleg plays and still make accurate throws.”

No one questions Lynch’s talent, but there are questions about his NFL readiness because of the spread offense Memphis runs. One coach said it is similar to Oregon’s offense or Auburn’s — with plenty of pistol formation, jet sweeps and designed runs for Lynch.

“There’s no doubt it’s going to be different for him,” said one defensive coordinator who faced him and asked for anonymity. “There’s so much eye candy in that offense with the jet motions and the speed sweeps that probably did help him. But I know this — when it was third-and-long that stuff didn’t matter, and he could make those throws, decisions and reads.”

Third and long? That's Jets football. Jets are the definition of third and long.

Archived