MY TOP DT, DE,OLB,MLB and EDGE RUSHERS

Tony The Wiz

This year is one of the best years I seen in defensive talent.  I already graded and said where they should go in the draft for offense in previous posts.  Like I said before offense has 4 QB, 1 RB, 1 TE,  6 WR, 6 OT,  2 G, and 2 C. that has 1st round grades.  That is a total of 22 but defense has more and I will begin here with the most talent group in this draft and that is the defensive tackles. We could get a player to replace Snacks in the later round who could be a real good player.  Only 23 DT got drafted last year. There will be more this year. So here we go.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE 

1. DEFOREST BUCKNER -  OREGON -  At 6:7 295 LBS he reminds me of Calais Cambell. Cambell became an all pro and Buckner in college has played way better than he did. Now we have to see him do it in the pros.  He is a top 5 pick.   1st rounder

2.  JARRAN REED - ALABAMA -  6:3 310 lbs  I have him 2 because he plays every down and is solid.  Top 10 pick 1st round

2.  ROBERT NKEMDICHE - OLE MISS -  6:3 1/2  295 lbs.  Number 1 high school prospect and will be a better pro than college player.  Top  10 pick 1st round.

4.  A'SHAWN ROBINSON - ALABAMA -  6:3 5/8  310 lbs. Could be the best of all if he played every down. Again it is scary that he will be a better pro than college player.  He is a truck or maybe bull dozer. Top 10 pick again. Talent wise he is a top 3 pick.  1st round.

5.  SHELDON RANKINGS - LOUISVILLE - 6:0 1/2  300 lbs. Was a 2nd rounder but wowed at the Senior Bowl and combine and moved easily in the 1st round. He could be unblock able and is stout against the run. Not as tall as the others but could play NT in a 3/4. Top 15  1st round

5.  ANDREW BILLINGS - BAYLOR -  6:0 1/2  312 lbs Wow!  Maybe the strongest guy in this whole draft. Another player could play NT.  Top 15  1st round.

7.  KENNY CLARK - UCLA - 6:2 1/2  315 lbs  I watched him many times this year and he is so quick for a big guy. He is the defensive tackle no one is talking about.  Well I'm talking about him and he also in my book is a top 20 first rounder.

8.  VERNON BUTLER - LOUISIANA TECH -  At 6:3 5/8 and 325 is the biggest DT so far. Another player that moved way up after seeing him playing in the all star game. He just toss around the lineman. He is late 1st rounder around 25 - 30. He is my last 1st round grade. 

9.  CHRIS JONES - MISSISSIPPI ST. -  6:6  310 lbs  - Another player who could make a case to be a first rounder. He is as close as you could get. Watch him many times and he was stout in the line.   33 to 35 in the 2nd.

10.  AUSTIN JOHNSON - PENN ST - 6:4 1/2  315 lbs  Just can't believe all this talent in DT.  Another player who is borderline 1st. He is a run stopper and an energy bunny.  33 to 35 in the 2nd round.

11.  JAVON HARGRAVE - SOUTH CAROLINA ST. -  6:1 310 lbs  Did not know anything about this player until the all star game and looking him at the combine you say to yourself are you sure this mad is 310 lbs. He ran a 4:93 at combine but has run a 4:83 in the 40. He will improve once he goes to the NFL. Early to mid 2nd. 35 to 40 I would select him.

12.  ADOlPHUS  WASHINGTON -  OHIO ST. -   6:3 1/2  305 lbs.  Another borderline 1st rounder who had a good year  and a good Senior Bowl practice and game. Imagine looking at this list this could be the 12 first round grade. Incredible.  35 to 40 in the 2nd round.            

Like I said this 12 are that good and in my book are 1st round grades but obviously you can't pick all of them in round 1.

13.  HASSAN RIDGEWAY - TEXAS -  6:3 5/8  305 lbs. My question is why? Why did you come out. If he stood in college he would of been a top 3 DT coming out next year. He needs to get some more coaching and stronger.  24 reps on bench press.  Will be NT in NFL. Mid to late 2nd.

14.  MALIEK COLLINS - NEBRESKA -  6:2  312 LBS  Again why coming out this year. HASSAN and he would of competed for best DT next year.  Has run 4:96 in the 40 so this shows you how athletic. Mid to late 2nd 

15.  JIHAD WARD - ILLINOIS -  6:5  300 lbs  A riser in this draft. Another player who made his mark in the all star game and than the combine. May move to the outside in a 3/4 defense since he needs to get stronger. Only 20 reps in the 225 bench press.  Early 3rd to mid 3rd. 

15   SHELDON DAY - NOTRE DAME  -  6:0 1/2 295 lbs. DT that could move to DE but perfect for a 3/4 DE since he needs to get stronger. He also only had 21 reps at 225 in the bench press.  Early 3rd to Mid 3rd.

17.  MATT IOANNIDIS - TEMPLE - 6:3 300 lbs   Another energy bunny who is a Football Player. Tough as nails and is a Joe Klecko kind of player and it is funny the same college Joe went to. Wonder who Matt tried to emulate when he stepped onto the Temple field. Beside Joe Namath my favorite player was Mr. Klecko. So MATT I give you a thumbs up.??  Jets draft this guy.  Probably go late 4th but I have him mid to late 3rd.

18.   WILLIE HENRY - MICHIGAN -  6:3  305 lbs - He is the third player who should of stayed in college. The other two and he would of competed to be that DT for the 2017 draft. Plus getting coached up by Harbaugh would of helped him. Now his skills are awesome. At 305 he ran a 5:0 forty and has run a 4:88. He is stout against the run and he is a good football player but should of stood in college.  Early 4th to mid 4th

19.  DARIUS LATHAM  - INDIANA -  6:4 315 lbs - I liked what I saw when he was on the field. An all around player  but another player who was suspended a couple of games and is a junior and needed to come back to college. He would of gave the 3 I already spoke about a run for there money in 2017. Who knows why and maybe the suspension was a reason . What concerns me he only benched 19 reps at his pro day.  Mid 4th to late 4th. 

20.  QUINTON JEFFERSON - MARYLAND - 6:4 291 lbs -  I liked what I saw at the combine. Maryland didn't have a good year so I only watched one game vs Ohio St.  I think he will be better as DE in a 3/4 Defense. He ran a 4:88 forty yard dash.  Late 4th to early fifth

21.  D.J READER - CLEMSON - 6:3 330 lbs - At Clemson he was just a run stopper. He is a typical NT.  Early 5th

22.  NILE LAWRENCE - STAPLE - 6:1  320 lbs  At Florida St. He was the same as D.J was at Clemson. He was a run stopper and again play NT in the NFL.      Ealy 5th to mid 5th.

23.   ANTHONY  ZEITEL - PENN ST. -  6:4 285 lbs What Matt Ionnidis was at Temple Anthony was at Penn St. He was a leader an energy bunny. Not as talented as Matt but don't tell him that.  Could play DE and  is pretty fast for his frame. He ran a 4:81 at the combine and has run 4:68. He is a riser and he deserves a thumbs up. ?  Probably go 5th in this draft but would not be mad iff he goes late 3rd.

24.  DEVAUNTE SIGLER - JACKSONVILLE ST. - 6:3 300 lbs  I liked what I saw when I watched his team advance to the championship game against North Dakota St. . Needs to be coached up and get stronger. He has good instinct.  Late 5th to early 6th.

25. VINCETE VALENTINE - NEBRESKA - 6:4 330lbs - Should of stood in college but he is a space eater and will play NT. Needs to get stronger.  At 330 LBs and only doing 17 reps is not good. I remember when I was lifting and I was 150 lbs lighter I was way stronger and not a future pro football player. So hit the weight room.  Late 5th to late 6th

26.  CONNOR WUJCIAK - BOSTON COLLEGE -  6:2  292 lbs  Had a good year for his college and looks the part of a DT in a 4/3 defense. He is an effort type player and will work to get better.   Late 5th to late 6th 

27. GREG MILHOUSE - CAMPBELL - 6:1 295 lbs - It is hard to rank or review a player when they play for a real small college but I YouTube him and he has an explosive coming off the ball. He runs a 4:91 forty and he is strong enough with a 26 reps on the bench.  He looks like a keeper and basically needs to get coached up. Have to give him a smiley face.? which means I like what I saw. Who knows what round he will be picked.  Could be 4th to early 7th.

28.  JUSTIN ZIMMER - FERIS ST.  - 6:2 3/4  302 lbs - Like Milhouuse needed to go to YouTube to see this players highlights. After looking at it he does not look 302 lbs. If he is moving that fast with that weight than this guy is a definite riser. He has a J.J Watt look about him. Need to see more of him.  He looks like he could play DE and runs a 4:90 in the forty.  Have to not only give him a smiley face but a thumbs up.??

These are my 28 that should be drafted as DTs in this draft.  Next is my DE

1.  JOEY BOSA  - OHIO ST -  6:5 270 lbs  He is no J. J Watt. He is more of a combo of Long and Mathews. Top 5-8 pick.

2.  SHAQ LAWSON - CLEMSON -  6:3  270  4:62 in the forty was impressive. He is the real deal.  Top 10 pick

3.  EMMAUNUEL OGBAH - OKLAHOMA ST. - 6:4 275 lbs - He needs to play every down. He is a JPP type of player. His 4:56 is outstanding.  Top 15 pick 

4.  JONATHAN BULLARD - FLORIDA -  6:3 285 lbs  I like him a little better than Dodd because he plays the run and pas and is good at both. Dodd is more of a pass rusher. Bullard was one of the most impressive defensive player this year in the regular season.  Should go between 20 - 25. 

5.  KEVIN DODD -  CLEMSON -  6:5 278 lbs -  He did have Reader in the middle and Shaq on the other side. He is a good football player though.  25 to 30  in the first but will probably go lower.   1st round.

6.  CARL NASSIB - PENN ST - 6:7 280 lbs - He deserves a first round grade. He actually played way better than BOSA this year and at that height I could see him bulking to a 295 frame and who knows he has the same drive as JJ Watt. He runs a 4:76 forty. He gets my thumbs up because of his drive to be better.?        

These are my First round draft worthy after performance and talent.

7.   SHILOQUE CALHOUN - MICHIGAN ST. -  6:4 251 lbs - good pass rusher but needs to get stronger and add weight for the running game. Needs about 10 to 15 lbs.   Early 2nd o mid 2nd 

8.  BRONSON KAUFASI - BYU - 6:6  2:85 lbs - One of my favorite players this year. Another energy bunny and I watched him play not only football but basketball in the NIT tournament.  He only going to get better and with his frame he will easily be between 295 to 300 lbs and gain strength. Watch this player down the road. Another thumbs up player ? Mid 2nd to late 2nd

9.  CHARLES TAPPER - OKLAHOMA - 6:3 271 lbs - Two in a row for me as another favorite player. I love his effort but needs to do that in every game. Could be a better pro than college. His athletic ability is outstanding with his 4:56 forty at the forty. Thumbs up?  Late 2nd

10.  JASON FAINAIKA - UTAH - 6:2 271 lbs.  Had a very good year and a great combine. GHe is fast and strong with a 29 reps in the bench press.   Early 3rd

11.  MATT JUDON -  GRAND VALLEY St.  6:3 275 lbs - Division 2 player that showed he belongs with the big boys. Just say 4:73 and 30 reps in the bench at 275 lbs means he is a riser. Watch him he has something to prove.  Early 3rd to mid 3rd

12.  JAMES CROWSER - SOUTHERN UTAH -  6:3 250 lbs Another small conference player who was the MVP of it and looks like a slightly smaller version of Clay Mathews with his locks. He is an effort maker. Late 3rd to early 4th

13.  RONALD BLAIR - APPALACHIAN ST. -  6:2 285 lbs Another player who was MVP for his conference. Looked good at the combine and obviously was very productive this year.  Runs 4:85  and has a 32 reps in the bench. Shows you what kind of athlete he is. Another one you should watch.  Late 3rd early 4th

14.  DEAN LOWRY - NORTHWESTERN -  6:6  296lbs - When I watch him he doesn't seem to weigh 296 lbs  Ran a 4:86 and benched a 30 reps in the 225 bench press. I would move him up but I seen film where he just doesn't push the blocker toward the QB. He doesn't get pushed around but I want to see him drive that blocker. His body and athletic is a first round but what I see is an early 4th but could move up.

14.  RON THOMPSON - SYRACUSE  6:3 255 lbs - Good player but needs to be a little stronger but has the body.

15.  ROMEO OKWARA - NOTRE DAME -  6:5 265 lbs - Seen a lot of him and he is a solid player.  Not a star but he will be there when you need him.   Late 5th early 6th 

16.  DREW OTT - IOWA -  6:4 275 lbs  - He was injured and wanted to come back to college but the NCAA said no. Look he is a football player period. He lays everything out on the field .  Late 6th to early 7th 

17.  LAWRENCE THOMAS - MICHIGAN ST - 6:3  286 lbs - he had a good year.   Late 6th to early 7th

My last DE  that I will rank is someone I don't know anything about except what I saw at the East West Shrine game.

18. EBUKA ONYEMATA - MANITOBA , CANADA.   He is 6:4 300 lbs and what they say is after coaching he will be a very good player. So for that reason I give him a smiley face. ? Who knows another JPP.

Before I go to the next list I want to give a thumbs down to this player SHAWN OAKMAN ??  What a waste of talent. 

NOW FOR MY HYBRID EDGE RUSHERS - Combo OLB/DE

1. LEONARD FLOYD -  GEORGIA -  6:5 1/2   He could of been a top 5 pick in my book only if he had played every down this year. It seemed like sometimes he took plays off but when he goes all out he is a terror.  I moved him up from a week ago to the  12 - 16 in the first. I did have him as a late first but he is to talented.

2. NOAH SPENCE  - EASTERN KENTUCKY - This is the toughest 1st round grade for me. He has explosive speed off the edge in the All star game but than the combine he was alright. Than you have him transferring from Ohio St. I give him a late 1st like 29-32.

3. KAMALEI CORREA - BOISE ST. -  6:3 245 lbs Total opposite of Spence. I know what I am getting epwith this player.  He is moving up the draft after the combine. Was a first team in 2014 and a 2nd team in 2015.  Early 2nd 

4.  JOSHUA PERRY - OHIO St -  6:4 255 lbs Had a real good year this year.  Has good speed and has run a 4:58 forty. Mid 2nd

5.  KYLE FACKRELL - UTAH ST  - 6:5  245 lbs - all mountain first team. He had a great year and showed you at the combine that he was athletic enough. He runs a 4:72 so he has speed but he needs to put on at least 10 pounds of muscle and get stronger. His reps was only 16 at his pro day. Average for a OLB/DE. Late 3rd

6.  YANNICK NGAKOUE - MARYLAND -  6:2 252 lbs  All big ten first team in 2015 for a bad team tells you something. Looking at his athleticism with his 4:75 forty and 26 reps in the bench he is a riser in my book. Give him a thumbs up for being this kind of player this year.? I see him going late third.

7.  TYRONE HOLMES - MONTANA -  6:2 255 lbs   Was not invited to the combine but watched him and he is raw. Liked what I saw on film and he has the attributes with a 4:59 in the forty and strong with an impressive 28 reps in the bench press.  I have him moving to the late 4th.

8.  VICTOR  OCHI -  STONY BROOK  - 6:1 246 lbs - Another small college kid who has some talent. He is raw and needs to be coached up.   6th round

9.  DADI NICKOLAS - VIRGINIA TECH- 6:3 235 lbs -  Needs to get stronger and bulk up but he has heart. Sometimes he is stupid on the field but it was his sack that got his team in the bowl game and went over to Frank Beamer and you know he said this was for you. I like him so we will see. He could go from 5th to 7th 

10.  STEPHEN WEATHERLY - VANDERBILT-  6:4 267 lbs - Was not on the pre season senior bowl list but here he is at the combine. That shows you he is a worker and has drive.  At his weight he ran a great time in the forty. He ran a 4:61 and has ran a 4:43 in his history. 5th to 7th 

These are my top 10 Hybrids. Now for MIDDLE LINEBACKERS      

1. REGGIE RAGLAND - ALABAMA  -  6:1 250.  4:62 forty Top MLB in draft and only First rounder.   20 to 25 1st round

2. KENTREL BROTHERS - MISSOURI - 6:0  245lbs He was the bright spot for Missouri. A mid 2nd 

3. TYLER MATAKEVICH - TEMPLE -  6:0 238 lbs - A tackling machine. Love the way he plays the game. A thumbs up ? A late 2nd and he deserves it.

4. SCOOBY WRIGHT 111 -  ARIZONA ST.  - 6:0 240 lbs . Another tackling machine. If it wasn't for his injury he could of been a first rounder.  See him in the early 3rd 

5. JARED NORRIS - UTAH -  6:1 245 lbs - He is just what I want my MLB to be. He is a tackler and a finisher. I like him more than other experts. He was out a couple of games and Utah wasn't the same.  Late 3rd

6.  BLAKE MARTINEZ - STANFORD -  6:2 238 lbs.  He has some good speed at 4:62 in the forty  late 3rd early 4th

7. B. J. GOODSON - CLEMSON -  6:1 242  Also a fast Lb at 4:62 in the forty late 3rd early 4th

8. NICK VIGIL -  UTAH ST -  6:2 240 lbs  What I said about Norris goes also to Nick. I liked his brother last year and this year no different with him. He is a player and has som hops to with a 4:62 in the forty.   Early 4th

9.  JOSH FOREST - KENTUCKY -  6:3  250 lbs  I like him since I watched and he looked good. Most experts have dropped him down because of his combine. H e ran a slow 4:91 and he did a low 11 reps in the bench.  I think he is  a run stopping MLB. I have him in the mid to late 4th

10. NICK KWIATKOSKI - WEST VIRGINIA-  6:1 241 lbs - In the line like Norris and Vigil. A tough kid who puts his nose in the middle. 

A little slower than Vigil but he is good. Late 4th 

11.  ANTONIO  MORRISON - FLORIDA -  6:1 235 lbs - Great production from him this year which made Florida good.  Early 5th

12.  IAN SEAU - NEVADA -  6:2  250 lbs  This kid is good and we all know who his father is.  Early 5th 

13.  DOMINQUE ALEXANDER - OKLAHOMA- 6:0 232 lbs   A little light for MLB so he needs to bulk up. He ran a slow 4:76 for his weight.  Mid to late 5th 

14.  STEVE LONGA - RUTGERS -  6:1  245 lbs  Real good LB and ran a 4:71. Too bad he was with Rutgers. Late 5th

15.  STEVEN DANIELS - BOSTON COLLEGE -  5:11  245lbs - a run stopper. Watch him man that position and he sticks his head right in the middle. He be an NFL MLB.     Late 6th 

16. ELANDON ROBERTS - HOUSTON -  5:11 234 lbs  After watching him in the bowl game he is a player. He may move to safety. 6th round.    That is my 16 that should be drafted.

So many good players in this draft. Just MLB I left out Joe Shimidt, Zeek Bigger, Cassonove Mckinzey and James Burgess.

My final list is OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

1. JAYLEN  SMITH - NOTRE DAME -  6:2 225 lbs - look he will drop but he was the best OLB in this draft. He was a top 5 pick. Where will he go in this draft only the doctors know. I say the third round is about where but you have to be a good team so it won't hurt you.

2. DARREN LEE - OHIO ST. -  6:1 235 - I love this guy. His speed is incredible at 4:46 and he is a good tackler. He is a first rounder easily and his value is around 20 to 25.

2. MYLES JACK -  UCLA - I hate ranking a player over someone that played all year. Jack is outstanding and has great talent. He could do everything even play running back but he is coming off an injury. Same as Lee at 20 to 25 

4. JATAVIOUS BROWN -  AKRON -  5:11 227 lbs - To be honest with you I did not know anything about him until the East West Shrine game. I have never seen a LB take over an all star game like he did and than he runs a 4:44 in the 40. He is my smiley face and thumbs up player. ??

5. SU'A CRAVENS - USC -  6:1 230 lbs - Could of played safety too. He is a good football player. Ball hawk.  Mid 2nd

6.  DEJON JONES -  LSU -  6:1  220 lbs -  He is fast at 4:54 but he has to play evert down. He has an upside but he has to challenge himself.  Mid to late 2nd.

7.  JOE SCHOBERT - WISCONSIN -  6:1 245 lbs - Typical Wisconsin LB. Hard nose and could move inside in a 4/3 or play either LB in a 3/4 . He is a hustler and never takes a play off.  Early 3rd

8.  JORDAN JENKINS - GEORGiA -  6:3 259 Lbs - He is a Calvin Pace LB. Has to go to 3/4 defense and be the pass rusher. Late 3rd

9.  ERIC STRYKER - OKLAHOMA -  5:11 227 - Another favorite of mine so I was rooting for him at the combine but it was not good. When he put up a 4:80 in the forty I winced but he has run  a 4:71 so that is a little better. Look the guy is a football player bar none. How many times he came off the edge and not only get the sack but cause a fumble. I like him and I had him ranked better but he is a tweeter for the NFL. I see him as 3rd round guy but his speed may bring him up to a early 5th. 

10.  TRAVIS FEENEY - WASHINGTON ST. -  6:4  230 lbs  with 4:1 speed. How did they not make this guy a receiver. FEENEY is a good football player period. 15.5 tackles for loss and 7 sacks.  Early 5th

11. BENIQUEZ BROWN - MISSISSIPPI ST. -  6:1 238 Lbs - The leader of that defense. Could play MLB and has good speed. Ran a 4:62 to 4:67. He had 99 tackles and he is a good athlete. He could move up the draft board. I like him and give him a thumbs up?  I like him in the 4th but I could see him go to the 5th. 

12.  DEVONDRE  CAMPBELL - MINNESOTA  -  6:4 235 lbs  - like this player, fast at 4:53   See him at late 5th

13. TERRANCE SMITH  - FLORIDA ST. -  6:3  235 -  Tough kid  and has an upside.  early 6th.

So many more players I could of put on this list 

Big fan of Dadi Nicholas. Played on the line last season even though he is undersized. And yes agree still played extremely hard. Real potential as stand up LB with burst and effort 

I'm also a big fan of Feeney. Actually I'm hoping the jets draft some speed athletes. I'm confident this staff can really coach up players. 

There is a safety I really want late. Doug Middleton. Really like his game and he's a jet fan. Unless the pats draft him in round 2

My final list is OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

1. JAYLEN  SMITH - NOTRE DAME -  6:2 225 lbs - look he will drop but he was the best OLB in this draft. He was a top 5 pick. Where will he go in this draft only the doctors know. I say the third round is about where but you have to be a good team so it won't hurt you.

2. DARREN LEE - OHIO ST. -  6:1 235 - I love this guy. His speed is incredible at 4:46 and he is a good tackler. He is a first rounder easily and his value is around 20 to 25.

tony, can you tell us more about Lee ?

Archived