**** OFFICIAL 2016 DRAFT: Round 1 discussion ****

Integrity28

1 minute ago, rillo said:

You're right,  this guy played safety in college, and will be converted to a ILB and by all reports he has trouble fighting off bigger guys. What could go wrong? 

Never played safety.

I really can't understand how many football fans don't know who Lee is.

and comparing him to Maybin is just really dumb.

If you are even just a casual college football fan, you'd know how good of a pick this is.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Should of worded it better lol. He is a damn good blitzer and rusher.  I should have said that, with the role he'll play and the way he'll be used, he won't be your traditional pass rusher netting 15-20 sacks a year. He'll be a damn good player though.

agree, he is not going to put those numbers up.  I see him as more of a forced fumble, pick 6, playmaker

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Can I just ask, when did it become imperative in the NFL to have a "Deone Bucannon-type player" on your roster? Maybe I'm old school, but I still kinda think pass rushers and guys who score TDs are more important than tiny LBs.

I keep trying to imagine what this offense is going to look like in 2018 but I'll be honest every time I look at the depth chart my pee hole cramps up.

3 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

And plenty of other sources that have Jack rated higher then him. We passed on a future pro bowler for a guy that struggles to take on o linemen one on one.

Love Myles Jack but every single team in the league passed on Jack. Where there's smoke there's fire. There's obviously something to the knee injury, unfortunately..

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Everybody is getting caught up in measurables. The Jets took a good football player tonight. He produces, is constantly around the ball, and makes plays.

I agree.

And RutgersJets, who on offense should we have taken. All the good OL were gone, we don't need WRs or TE (Amaro)

1 minute ago, artemusclyde said:

And plenty of other sources that have Jack rated higher then him. We passed on a future pro bowler for a guy that struggles to take on o linemen one on one.

Jack if healthy was projected as the 1 pick in the draft.  In case you missed it, all 31 teams passed on him because of his injury.   And he is a linebacker not a lineman so he will not be taking on too many olineman one on one.  That is what the Dlineman is for.  I can promise when matched up one on one not too many Olineman will be able to stay with him because he has a tremendous burst  will be running right around them or in between.   

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

When the NFL became a passing league.

Except the Jets don't give a rats ass for offense.  We spend 1st rounders on defense 7 years in a row still trying to "shore up" our defense.

all the while we have 30 something's at every skill position, no OL, and no QB.  If it's a passing league, why aren't we trying to compete?  What's are offense gonna look like this year?  Or. Worse, next year when we have no pipeline of talent on offense what so ever?  

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Love Myles Jack but every single team in the league passed on Jack. Where there's smoke there's fire. There's obviously something to the knee injury, unfortunately..

A lot of teams passed on Eddie Lacy and we all saw how that worked out. As for Jack, he's a physical freak like Clowney is, have a good feeling he recovers from the surgery much like Clowney did.

Just now, Pcola said:

Except the Jets don't give a rats ass for offense.  We spend 1st rounders on defense 7 years in a row still trying to "shore up" our defense.

all the while we have 30 something's at every skill position, no OL, and no QB.  If it's a passing league, why aren't we trying to compete?  What's are offense gonna look like this year?  Or. Worse, next year when we have no pipeline of talent on offense what so ever?  

Did you not watch last year? WE had a top ten offense last year?

8 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Never played safety.

I really can't understand how many football fans don't know who Lee is.

and comparing him to Maybin is just really dumb.

If you are even just a casual college football fan, you'd know how good of a pick this is.

My fault, i thought he played safety. A small OLB that gets swallowed up by bigger linemen is not what you wanna hear. 

I find it interesting that the reviews on this guy are so mixed. Lots of love from some corners, lots of hate from others. I like it, I like adding speed on defense right now. But I'm confused by Todd Bowles comments about sitting him behind a guy like Erin Henderson, that sounds like a strange use for a 1st round pick.

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

everyone here sh*t themselves over the mauldin pick, but i loved it... everyone is stupid hahahahahahahhahahahaahaaaaaa

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can I just ask, when did it become imperative in the NFL to have a "Deone Bucannon-type player" on your roster? Maybe I'm old school, but I still kinda think pass rushers and guys who score TDs are more important than tiny LBs.

He's not.  He's 20lbs heavier and even faster.

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Jack if healthy was projected as the 1 pick in the draft.  In case you missed it, all 31 teams passed on him because of his injury.   And he is a linebacker not a lineman so he will not be taking on too many olineman one on one.  That is what the Dlineman is for.  I can promise when matched up one on one not too many Olineman will be able to stay with him because he has a tremendous burst  will be running right around them or in between.   

He'll be expected to occasionally shed blocks as a linebacker. 

Just now, stoicsentry said:

I find it interesting that the reviews on this guy are so mixed. Lots of love from some corners, lots of hate from others. I like it, I like adding speed on defense right now. But I'm confused by Todd Bowles comments about sitting him behind a guy like Erin Henderson, that sounds like a strange use for a 1st round pick.

Maybe wants to limit the pressure on him in the NY market?  If he outperforms Henderson, great!  Otherwise let the guy have some time to adjust w/o hearing/reading "bust".

1 minute ago, stoicsentry said:

Bowles doesn't believe in handing anyone anything.  He isn't going to promote a guy who hasn't earned nothing the starting role.  Its how you want your HC to bring in new players.  Im positive you will see a lot of Lee this year.

2 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

A lot of teams passed on Eddie Lacy and we all saw how that worked out. As for Jack, he's a physical freak like Clowney is, have a good feeling he recovers from the surgery much like Clowney did.

1. Jack is nowhere near the freak Clowney is.

2. Clowney, post surgery, has 4.5 career sacks on a D-Line featuring J.J. Watt and he can't stay healthy. Now he may change that, but that is looking like a bust of a pick 2 years in.

They said they gunna play him opposite harris at ILB... which makes sense... he's a 4-3 OLB, 3-4 ILB. I'm not mad at the pick at all - in his 3 yrs in college he went from 197lbs to 232... to me that says he's seriously hitting the weights so he will get bigger. He needs another 20-30lbs... to be considered ideal. The instincts are there, the high motor is there, and the kid ran a friggin 4.47 40... tells me he is freakishly athletic. I trust Macc - and I'm looking forward to watching this kid on sundays. I wish more Jets fans focused on the positives.  He's only 20 years old (will be 21 in 3-4 months i believe?)... Expect good things. 

I mean honestly, I don't understand the hate for the guy.

I really don't.

John Randle was undersized as a DT, and he's in the HOF. Wayne Chrebet was undersized as a WR and he's in the Jets Ring of Honor.

Size to me has nothing to do with it. If he's fast, the size disadvantage is negated.

3 minutes ago, stoicsentry said:

The hate is coming from folks who really have no idea who the guy is, never saw him play and pissed that the Jets didn't draft "their guy".  

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Maybe wants to limit the pressure on him in the NY market?  If he outperforms Henderson, great!  Otherwise let the guy have some time to adjust w/o hearing/reading "bust".

I can understand that, but for God's sake, he's the #20 overall. He better find a way to beat out Erin Henderson.

Just now, Mogglez said:

1. Jack is nowhere near the freak Clowney is.

2. Clowney, post surgery, has 4.5 career sacks on a D-Line featuring J.J. Watt and he can't stay healthy. Now he may change that, but that is looking like a bust of a pick 2 years in.

You honestly seriously can't be expecting Clowney to set the world on fire after being out a year of football and also being a relatively raw prospect.

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

What tapes are you watching???? 

WEAKNESSES: Leaner-than-ideal features for the position with a narrow torso and maxed out build. Physical mindset with pop in his hands, but lacks ideal play strength to consistently unglue himself from blocks. Stonewalled and engulfed by offensive linemen and needs to improve his take-on technique to stay clean and gain body position.

Straight from CBS

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

they passed on lynch.  it happens.  I have to think they just thought a guy who lost to south dakota state in the big dakota bowl wasn't all that

to answer your question, about 2 years ago.

Just now, artemusclyde said:

WEAKNESSES: Leaner-than-ideal features for the position with a narrow torso and maxed out build. Physical mindset with pop in his hands, but lacks ideal play strength to consistently unglue himself from blocks. Stonewalled and engulfed by offensive linemen and needs to improve his take-on technique to stay clean and gain body position.

Straight from CBS

I think the problem is that you are viewing him as a pass rusher. I am visioning him as an overall LB, blitzing and coverage

Just now, artemusclyde said:

Straight from CBS

Sounds like a 5th round LB to me.

Archived