**** OFFICIAL 2016 DRAFT: Round 1 discussion ****

Integrity28

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Did you not watch last year? WE had a top ten offense last year?

We did.  Now we have no QB, older RBs, injury prone LT.  Our offense is piecemeal end togther.  What other team in the NFL goes year after year plugging the only position on the field that really matters using old washed up scrubs.  The offense has nothing to build on.  How many years does Marshall have left?  

Im sorry but if a defensive genius HC can't manage a great defense with 6 first rounders already on the team, to go along with high priced free agents in Skrine and Gilchrist, then maybe he's not a genius. M

Macc has mishandles this offseason terribly.  It's absurd that the FO is going at this with the minuet of making a SB run with a team that is worse than last years team (a non-playoff team for the fifth year in a row) at QB, RB, LT, NT and we draft a back up ILB.  OK, I guess we will all see what Macc has up his sleeves for the offense, but at this point I'm skeptical that they have any clue at all.

1 minute ago, artemusclyde said:

WEAKNESSES: Leaner-than-ideal features for the position with a narrow torso and maxed out build. Physical mindset with pop in his hands, but lacks ideal play strength to consistently unglue himself from blocks. Stonewalled and engulfed by offensive linemen and needs to improve his take-on technique to stay clean and gain body position.

Straight from CBS

I just finished my film review, and here are my notes

STRENGTHS: Above-average range, speed and athleticism. Unlocks his hips to instantly accelerate and close. Makes himself skinny and shoots through gaps on the line of scrimmage. Needs to do it more consistently, but flashes violence in his hands to punch, lock out and keep himself free from blocks.

Explosive tackler and doesn't need a runway, striking low and leading with his shoulder. Performs with an instant reactor and diagnoses play speed well. Quick-minded, recognizing tendencies and play-calling trends.

Smooth hips to turn and run in coverage. Agile pass rusher to blitz, stunt and loop. Adequate bulk and has worked hard to fill out his frame (was a 195-pound high school senior). Self-assured presence on and off the field with a competitive swagger that seems to shine when the lights are the brightest.

Versatile experience as a blitzer, run defender and cover man - often lined up across from the slot receiver in coverage. Durable and started every game the past two seasons with consistent production. Will contribute right away on special teams.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think the problem is that you are viewing him as a pass rusher. I am visioning him as an overall LB, blitzing and coverage

Nope, an ilb will be expected to take on olinemen. You can't keep your ilb free forever, eventually they'll be expected to take on an olinemen in the 2nd level and be expected to shed him.

2 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

WEAKNESSES: Leaner-than-ideal features for the position with a narrow torso and maxed out build. Physical mindset with pop in his hands, but lacks ideal play strength to consistently unglue himself from blocks. Stonewalled and engulfed by offensive linemen and needs to improve his take-on technique to stay clean and gain body position.

Straight from CBS

One question; have you seen him play? Second question; do you think Bowles and Mac know anything about this players strengths and weakness or did they forget to contact CBS and get their opinion? 

5 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

You honestly seriously can't be expecting Clowney to set the world on fire after being out a year of football and also being a relatively raw prospect.

When you draft a "freak" like that number 1 overall, yeah, that's EXACTLY what you expect.  I would AT LEAST want to see more than what he's shown.  He isn't living up to his draft status. I'll agree that it's way to early to start calling him an all time bust, but if they didn't have Watt lighting it up on that defense, there would be A LOT more talk on the fact that he's done basically nothing.

Just now, artemusclyde said:

Nope, an ilb will be expected to take on olinemen. You can't keep your ilb free forever, eventually they'll be expected to take on an olinemen in the 2nd level and be expected to shed him.

$LB

3 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Straight from CBS

But he's fast :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

We did.  Now we have no QB, older RBs, injury prone LT.  Our offense is piecemeal end togther.  What other team in the NFL goes year after year plugging the only position on the field that really matters using old washed up scrubs.  The offense has nothing to build on.  How many years does Marshall have left?  

Im sorry but if a defensive genius HC can't manage a great defense with 6 first rounders already on the team, to go along with high priced free agents in Skrine and Gilchrist, then maybe he's not a genius. M

Macc has mishandles this offseason terribly.  It's absurd that the FO is going at this with the minuet of making a SB run with a team that is worse than last years team (a non-playoff team for the fifth year in a row) at QB, RB, LT, NT and we draft a back up ILB.  OK, I guess we will all see what Macc has up his sleeves for the offense, but at this point I'm skeptical that they have any clue at all.

And that is where your thinking is wrong. This has nothing to do with winning the SUper Bowl this year. This has to do with the future.

13 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Except the Jets don't give a rats ass for offense.  We spend 1st rounders on defense 7 years in a row still trying to "shore up" our defense.

all the while we have 30 something's at every skill position, no OL, and no QB.  If it's a passing league, why aren't we trying to compete?  What's are offense gonna look like this year?  Or. Worse, next year when we have no pipeline of talent on offense what so ever?  

Yup we don't care about offense, the team that was a top 10 offense last year.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

When you draft a "freak" like that number 1 overall, yeah, that's EXACTLY what you expect.  He isn't living up to his draft status. I'll agree that it's way to early to start calling an all time bust, but if they didn't have Watt lighting it up on that defense, there would be A LOT more talk on the fact that he's done basically nothing.

Yeah he isn't living up to his draft status yet, but it does show that you can recover from microfracture surgery as seen by Clowney. As for Clowney, I imagine he'll eventually start putting it together, assuming he stays healthy of course.

Man, I thought I was upset about the fact that the Jets have been ignoring offense for over a decade, but these softcore blowjob highlight reels of our 10th defensive player drafted in 10 years really has me thinking otherwise. When we're fielding one of the worst offenses in history in 2018 I'll be sure to reference these bookmarked videos for comfort.

1 minute ago, artemusclyde said:

Yeah he isn't living up to his draft status yet, but it does show that you can recover from microfracture surgery as seen by Clowney. As for Clowney, I imagine he'll eventually start putting it together, assuming he stays healthy of course.

I do too, but he would would also be considered an extreme outlier who was fortunate to be so young and filled with freakish talent when he had the surgery.  Myles Jack's situation is much closer to Da'Quan Bowers than Clowney.  I completely understand why we (and everyone else) passed on the kid.

Pryor isn't very big and does just fine around the line of scrimmage. I understand he is a safety but this kid will be starting in nickel formations which is pretty much our standard flying around all over the place. This is the type of player that Bowles loves to have he's versatile where you don't know if he's blitzing or covering until it's too late. Think of all the times Skrine was successful coming off the edge on delayed blitzes. Even when they saw him coming it didn't matter because of the speed mismatch. I was deflated when we picked him but only because I wasn't familiar with him but after some time reading about him and watching him I've come around to it. We do need some players on O tomorrow though.

This kid just sounds like a good pickup in the 2nd round to me.  That's where you take a undersized inside linebacker with a lot of SPEED.

I can't wait until tomorrow though, now that all the good QB's have been taken I think we can cross that position off the list and eventually give in to the Fitzpatrick factor.

God forbid it's gee-no.

Anyway I am hoping for Derrick Henry tomorrow, a true bellcow who might mix in really well with Forte and Powell. 

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Another one who has never seen him play... :rolleyes:

First two plays gets stonewalled by the olinemen. Happens consistently throughout this game. He practically did nothing the entire game. Also gets stonewalled pretty much any time an olinemen touches him, ineffective blitzer.

3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

You're only skeptical because so many on here are diverting you from trusting your instincts.  Mac is totally clueless.  He's making Idziot look like Einstein. Again, for the 20th time, Fitz totally bailed his azz out last year. And NOBODY saw that coming, not even Fitz.  Mac's draft last year was mediocre at best.  He overpaid for the secondary and this year's budget is a disaster. He STILL hasn't figured out what to do with the QB position. Now he drafts a smurf with the 1st round pick with players with bigger upsides at positions we are desperate for.    I don't like where this is heading - not one bit.        

Just now, Powpow said:

You're only skeptical because so many on here are diverting you from trusting your instincts.  Mac is totally clueless.  He's making Idziot look like Einstein. Again, for the 20th time, Fitz totally bailed his azz out last year. And NOBODY saw that coming, not even Fitz.  Mac's draft last year was mediocre at best.  He overpaid for the secondary and this year's budget is a disaster. He STILL hasn't figured out what to do with the QB position. Now he drafts a smurf with the 1st round pick with players with bigger upsides at positions we are desperate for.    I don't like where this is heading - not one bit.        

Yes the NFL GM of the Year is totally clueless.

1 minute ago, rillo said:

He's going to have to take on linemen playing ILB. Also, he played with a bunch of other 1st rounders at OSU. 

Again, like I said you have never seen him play. You also don't know what schemes Bowles will use to keep lineman off of him.   Not comparing the two but when Ray Lewis was drafted alot folks thought he was undersized.  That is what your Dlineman is for; to occupy blockers so that the linebackers can make the plays.  How many times did yo see Ray Lewis taking on an Offensive lineman?  Hardly ever. 

6 minutes ago, rillo said:

He's going to have to take on linemen playing ILB. Also, he played with a bunch of other 1st rounders at OSU. 

ok and he will be playing behind one of the best defensive lines in NFL - You one of those guys who think our line sucks because we lost Harrison? We still have Wilkerson, Williams, Richarson, the guy we signed from steelers (who the steelers wanted to resign). Whats the issue he will have with our team? What's the difference between Ohio State and our line? All first rounders on our line. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Yes the NFL GM of the Year is totally clueless.

Hahaha NFL GM of the Year that's some funny sh*t.  Lets replay the year and have Fitz play like he usually plays and we go 2-14.  Blind Luck.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Again, like I said you have never seen him play. You also don't know what schemes Bowles will use to keep lineman off of him.   Not comparing the two but when Ray Lewis was drafted alot folks thought he was undersized.  That is what your Dlineman is for; to occupy blockers so that the linebackers can make the plays.  How many times did yo see Ray Lewis taking on an Offensive lineman?  Hardly ever. 

This is an excellent point!

Just now, JetBlue said:

WHAT?! NO OFFENSIVE PLAYERS! THAT IS AN OUTRAGE! 

I'll enjoy watching our Defense demolish people. Spence coming off the edge while Lee is flying all over the place fu*king people up. 

Archived