Welcome Darron Lee !!!!

Larz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Deone Bucannon at 210-15 lbs played OLB for the Cards. Not sure why Lee couldn't do the same along with play ILB on Nickle situation.

I really think he is going to be all over the field.

As long as this means that Harris never has to cover a running back on a wheel route again I can live with the pick. :)

Same size as Lavonte David, just faster

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lavonte-david?id=2532828

David, who plays in a different scheme has been a league-leading tackler since he was drafted four years ago

2015: 3rd most tackles in NFL

2014: 3rd most tackles in NFL

2013: 5th most tackles in NFL

2012: 8th most tackles in NFL

By all accounts, Darren Lee will be the Jets version of Deon Buchanon, the Cardinals $LB; a hybrid nickle LBer.  Oh yeah, we play in a nickle defense like 80,000% of the time, sooo. 

Very happy with this pick - we could have gone a number of ways with the guys who were on the board at the time, but no complaints about Lee, none at all. Hopefully we won't have to endure lead-footed LBs being beat on wheel routes any more!

And I like how Bowles isn't anointing him as anything yet ... I know a lot of people want a 1st rounder to start straight away, but just because Bowles said he'll initially be behind Henderson does NOT mean that's the line up for Sept. What he's doing is making the rookie earn his playing time - as they all should. Rex got killed for handing over starting jobs before the pick was even made, this is refreshing that there's no entitlement based on draft position, you earn your playing time. Plus, given how often we're in a nickel D anyway, I'm sure he'll get plenty time early on to show what he can do.

Day 2 will be interesting ... still would love to have more than one Rd 2 pick, but other than trading Mo I don't see us ending up with another. I'm sure there'll be plenty options, it'll be interesting to see which way they go. My guess is OL.

So here is some actual game tape (not highlights) on Daron Lee: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/darron-lee-vs-alabama-2014/

He's definitely not a stack and shed type of LB, but when he plays decisively, he can close in a hurry

Lots of experience in coverage

former QB prospect, so he may still fill out in time and gain some additional weight. He is also still learning to play LB. 

Looking ahead, it will be interesting to watch the team pair Lee with Taiwan Jones as our linebackers of the future. 

7 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The guys a good player and gives us speed on defense something we've badly been lacking. Many mocks had him going to Atlanta at 17. Zierling had him going to the Giants at 10. Casserly didn't have him going in the 1st round.

I guess Mac realized "Old Man Charlie" is losing his marbles and doesn't feed him and "Inside Info"

6 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Shazier comp is perfect.

Trying to wrap my head around why people wouldn't like this pick , and thinking they just don't know anything about him.

Hes not lining up on the LOS, think D. Davis but 100x better

Well.... that blew your whole argument!

7 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Shazier comp is perfect.

Trying to wrap my head around why people wouldn't like this pick , and thinking they just don't know anything about him.

Hes not lining up on the LOS, think D. Davis but 100x better

Ah I agreed with you until you typed that last sh*t 

6 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

There are plenty of players at that size in that position with success in the NFL right now.  I also think we'll see more 4-3 this year with keeping Wilk around.

Also he went from 197-232 in college, I fully expect him to put on another 10-15lbs of muscle with a year in a NFL conditioning program.

He put on 15-20 lbs for the combine, I doubt he'll put on another 10-15 on top of that for at least 3-4 years.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I guess Mac realized "Old Man Charlie" is losing his marbles and doesn't feed him and "Inside Info"

Casserly was acting a little goofy during the week when he was on the air. But he was fun and entertaining a lot more than some of the ex-players on NFLN. As for Lee he wasn't a home run pick but probably going to be a solid contributor. And hopefully better than this. He fits the need we all talked about during the season: a linebacker with speed who can cover. He admits himself his weakness is the running game and dealing with blocks. 

Only the front office knows how they are going to use Darron Lee, but from the outside looking in, I don't get the pick.  Speed, I get, but not much else.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/darron-lee-vs-notre-dame-2015/

29 seconds in...WTF...the defense has him contained, step up, and show a transfer of power.  Yet, he gets moved back while his teammate has him by the foot.  

48 seconds in...OMG...he has a free shot on a WR beginning to turn up field, who has already been slowed by his teammate, and he literally bounces off the WR.

1:33 in...LOL...it is a pretty safe bet he was drafted for coverage right? (WR makes a great catch, but he still blew right by Lee)

2:14 in...MEH...he moves down the line well (albeit, maybe the blocker is pushing him back a bit), and he gets loose to make the weak tackle.

2:58 in...PHEW...he crashed hard, and got the sack, luckily.  Nice play, but has to take a better angle.  (His speed, again, I get)

4:42 in...OK...he reads the WR screen, blows by the would be tackler, and brings the WR down.  Nice play.

10:02 in...AYFKM...Kerry Rhodes comes to mind.  He is a linebacker right?

10:31 in...TREND...becoming pretty evident to me.  

10:37 in...Finally...Sticks his nose in to make a hit.  

13:42 in...PROPS...Blitzes and shows the closing speed.  

All in all, I just don't get it.  JMO.

Archived