A reactionary pick from a Front Office that thinks there very close to Playoffs/Superbowl.

Shockwave

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look, Lee seems like a nice kid and his numbers look swell. Great. Yippee. The point is, we drafted more defense. More. Defense. Over the past 10 drafts, the Jets have had 11 first round picks. 10, yes, 10, have been used on defense. That's the point. Our offense is old and it has no blue chip prospects at any position coming up to replace the guys that aren't going to be here after next season. That's bad. Really, really bad. OLB is a need, sure, but the entire other side of the ball needs players. The defense is in a totally different stratosphere when it comes to that aspect.

Think about that. 10 out of 11 picks, defense. In an offensive era to boot. Enough already with this.

And unfortunately..due to the mistakes of the past FO we STILL have needs on the defensive side of the ball. 

Everyone bashing this pick like we don't need to get younger and faster at his position. Not to mention he is graded the best cover LB in the draft. 

I don't know about you guys, but having a LB that can cover seems like a commodity to me, especially playing in a division with the Pats.

Its not a sexy pick by any stretch..but fills a legitimate need and gets us a younger and faster at a position that's been dominated by Pace for years. I like Pace, but he can't cover.

OT isn't something needed to be addressed in round 1, plenty stud OL go deeper in the draft. 

Just trust the process guys, I have no reason to doubt anything Mac has done so far. Go Jets!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's fun having small LBers when your offense is killing people, like Seattle and Arizona. When your offense is average, those small LBs get crushed, hurt, and then everyone gets fired.

Can't wait to watch him try and cover Gronk.

Gronk will just give him a head slap and the little guy will end up in the 3rd row of the stands.

Can't believe the Jets passed on Lynch for this guy.

Hell, the Pats has a better 1st round pick than the Jets.

6 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

To be fair, Bryan Thomas was a speedy tweener type that everyone was furious over drafting, but he wound up being a solid player for a long time. 

Bryan Thomas was 6'4, 266 with a 4.47 40 yard dash. His combine was up there with Mario Williams and the all time greats. 

Lee played most of last season around 220-225 and is maxed out on his frame. 

7 hours ago, jetrider said:

No. Maccagnan said days ago he and Woody & Co are on the same page about not having to win it all this year. Don't expect any miracles that guys like Elway pull off.

If you read through the initial post which you clearly didn't you'll notice that the Jets are:

-Are the oldest team in the league. 

-Signed MORE 30 year olds this offseason. 

-Trade aware more draft picks then they acquire

-Use up ALL of their cap space. 

Im sure most of the people on this board would agree that actions speak louder then words. So Mac can say whatever he wants but this is a VERY win now team. With Brady gone 4 games Its playoffs or bust this year.....

6 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

There's a reason Mac is the GM is we are all just a bunch of shmucks thinking we know more than him and posting it on a message board.

These are always my favorite post on the board. People said the same thing about: Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and all of their GM's. How did that work out for them? 

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'll have to say that I dont know much about Lee. I havent looked his direction throughout the offseason. I watched two games on draft breakdown and it wasnt like I was watching a guy who popped off of the screen. I will say that I only saw two games while still watching the draft. 

I love his speed, but I dont like his weight. This is the same problem that I had with Floyd. However, Macc made it clear that we were going to get faster and more athletic. I think Miles Jack would have fit the bill, but for the fact that I really know nothing on Lee I cant criticize the man, whether positively or negatively. 

I have to say that im not upset about the pick, probably because I was more concerned about the Jets forcing the issue and drafting Lynch. When we didnt draft him I felt relief about that rather than excitement for the actual pick. 

I simply dont know who Darron Lee is....but we will have all the time to look at college games and listen in at OTA's. I know one thing, if he's expecting to play the weak side and "seal the edge" he's going to need some weight. Either that or Mauldin will play that role. 

I dont have much of an opinion on the pick. Im hearing alot of good things online, but I tend to take that with a grain of salt. All of these guys are "the man" at this point so its hard to tell by twitter feeds and highlight vids. 

You are right though, it "depends on how we look at it" which will depend whether people like this pick or not. We'll have to see. 

Very Fair post. 

Ive been following the draft for 15 years now and I think the thing to separate is "who you like" with your reaction to the pick. Because the chances of your team drafting the players are like picking lotto. 

While Im not the biggest fan of Lee - He could work in the right system and my goal was to point out why he was the pick more then Hating/Loving Lee as a prospect. People just have the tendency to hate on anyone that doesn't LOVE/WORSHIP every move we make. 

Our defense clearly had a huge weakness covering RB's and having scrambling QB's take advantage of us. Lee is a means to address that and I actually foresee us getting at least 1 more LB tonight. So this is just the start of Bowles addressing what he clearly told us he would address...

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

And, by the way, it's a very smart strategy.

For years we've had old, slow LB's who run out of gas late in the season.  Get some young guys in there with fresh legs who can make tackles in January for a change.  We've got enough beef up front to compete and we've got enough coverage out back to compete; it's the middle of the field that's been our soft spot; let's focus on that for once. 

SAR I

Im not killing this pick for this reason. How many years have we watched Rex and his dinosaur LB's be the slowest part of our team? Our LB needed to be addressed big time. While I would have preferred we addressed this type of position with middle round picks the pick could still be a great one if we are remaking the LB core this year. 

Two things I would really like to see to go along with this pick:

1. Resign Mo longterm immediately. Lee ONLY works if we have guys upfront to protect him. We need Mo here. 

2. Continue revamping the LB core with 1-2 more draft picks in the next few rounds. I think the Jets will be targeting Noah Spence or Yannick Hgakoue tonight. 

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Ugh you are probably right. Vilma was pretty awesome before his knee gave out, but I can't imagine this kid being him. For once I'd like a guy who scores touchdowns.

Vilma probably goes too 5 in 2016 I guess

Yeah. Like I said, I'd have taken Treadwell there, and I get that ILB is never going to be an easy pick to love. I just think people are majorly underrating Lee, who's one of the two or three best athletes in this class at any position. We all want to look more like Denver and Carolina and Seattle and Arizona on defense. Well, this is how we get there.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah. Like I said, I'd have taken Treadwell there, and I get that ILB is never going to be an easy pick to love. I just think people are majorly underrating Lee, who's one of the two or three best athletes in this class at any position. We all want to look more like Denver and Carolina and Seattle and Arizona on defense. Well, this is how we get there.

ILB is kind of an oversimplification. Everybody plays the same defense now. It's not like ten years ago when it was either cover 2/4 or 2-gap and teams wanted one or the other kind of player so supply was abundant and the position got devalued. Everybody needs three-down guys now. Carolina for example has had success prioritizing this kind of player recently.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

thing is defense always wins SB's no matter what era. So there's that

Then why, after winning a SB with poor QB play, then losing Trevathan and Jackson in FA, did the Broncos trade up for a QB instead of picking a nice, safe ILB or DE/DT? Lack of vision? Or do they realize the minuscule likelihood of winning another SB without an x-factor at QB? And the reality is even I'll grudgingly admit right now they have a better starting QB than we've got even with Lynch holding a clipboard. 

I don't know which guys were ranked where. I just think in general ILB is a position too easily/cheaply filled in free agency to burn a mid-1st round pick on it. Yeah if he turns into Luke Kuechly this is an absolute steal. Mighty big if, though.

Denver won with defense, sure. They also got Marshall and Trevathan with 5th and 6th round picks. Now we didn't necessarily need to wait that late on the position, but round 1 is the other end of that extreme. 

11 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

ILB is kind of an oversimplification. Everybody plays the same defense now. It's not like ten years ago when it was either cover 2/4 or 2-gap and teams wanted one or the other kind of player so supply was abundant and the position got devalued. Everybody needs three-down guys now. Carolina for example has had success prioritizing this kind of player recently.

You know what I mean. Non-edge LB.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You know what I mean. Non-edge LB.

Right. Which I would submit is a premium position now. Williams kind of reflects this too as a guy who's elite against the run and doesn't have to come off the field after second down. You need the talent and the versatility. We've been trading those off for what seems like forever. Guys like Vilma on one hand and Pace on the other.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Bryan Thomas was 6'4, 266 with a 4.47 40 yard dash. His combine was up there with Mario Williams and the all time greats. 

Lee played most of last season around 220-225 and is maxed out on his frame. 

It is now 2016 not 2001 in case you missed it.

9 hours ago, Jolot said:

How come the best player on our board is never offense ? 

Those complaining about taking lee and wanted a wr don't seem to realize that any wr we would have drafted would have played behind Marshall and decker. And battle for catches with  enunwa, Amaro and whoever we draft at tight end. 

As for devin smith,  it's not his fault he is a deep threat on a team with a qb that can't throw deep.

Draftinga wr in that spot didn't make much sense eventhough I loved  Treadwell.  I'd be very happy settling for Boyd in the 2nd to groom behind decker. 

17 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Right. Which I would submit is a premium position now. Williams kind of reflects this too as a guy who's elite against the run and doesn't have to come off the field after second down. You need the talent and the versatility. We've been trading those off for what seems like forever. Guys like Vilma on one hand and Pace on the other.

No, it's not. If it was a premium position a player of that position would have been taken higher than 20.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Those complaining about taking lee and wanted a wr don't seem to realize that any wr we would have drafted would have played behind Marshall and decker. And battle for catches with  enunwa, Amaro and whoever we draft at tight end. 

As for devin smith,  it's not his fault he is a deep threat on a team with a qb that can't throw deep.

Draftinga wr in that spot didn't make much sense eventhough I loved  Treadwell.  I'd be very happy settling for Boyd in the 2nd to groom behind decker. 

The Jets ran more 3 WR sets than anyone else and had to give Kenbrell Thompkins significant looks at the end of the season. Basically, in today's NFL a nickle corner and a 3rd WR are pretty much starters. The Jets desperately need a third wideout target that isn't Decker and Marshall. Forte will help, but they need a guy on the outside and Devin Smith isn't that guy.

Speaking of "reactionary" picks, if we drafted:

A QB = "Reactionary!" ZOMG!

a WR = BM is old n we drafted his backup = "Reactionary"

A RB = "Reactionary!" We drafted Ivorys replacement!

A DL = "Reactionary!" Mo or Snacks replacement!!

A secondary = "Reactionary!" CEOs replacement 

An OL = "Reactionary!" We have an OL group of guys up front!

A TE = "Reactionary!"

so basically, anyone we picked, could've been categorized as a "reactionary pick". Of course they are! Leonard was a reactionary pick. "Reaction" to the Deadskins blowing up the board! Can we lock this thread now? I just took a "mondo duke" on it. 

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Very Fair post. 

Ive been following the draft for 15 years now and I think the thing to separate is "who you like" with your reaction to the pick. Because the chances of your team drafting the players are like picking lotto. 

While Im not the biggest fan of Lee - He could work in the right system and my goal was to point out why he was the pick more then Hating/Loving Lee as a prospect. People just have the tendency to hate on anyone that doesn't LOVE/WORSHIP every move we make. 

Our defense clearly had a huge weakness covering RB's and having scrambling QB's take advantage of us. Lee is a means to address that and I actually foresee us getting at least 1 more LB tonight. So this is just the start of Bowles addressing what he clearly told us he would address...

This was my thought as well after I had a few to sit and ponder.

The Jets had alot of issues covering guys out of the backfield (Davis, Pace, etc) this should take care of that hopefully.

The Jets could have looked at WR (Treadwell, Doctson). The tackles were already gone, Lynch is another project.

We will see about Lee. Hopefully he is all pro for the next 10 years

Just now, Butterfield said:

For some teams he is, for others he is a moneybacker.  Depends on the scheme.  Deone Bucannon and Mark Barron say hello.

Neal is playing safety. Lee is playing Linebacker. Moneybacker sounds made up. Either way, it's not a premium position. That's QB, LT, and CB.

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

Gurley had the knee injury though, and Leonard Williams had a hell of a rookie year. Cant blame Mac for taking the #1 player in the draft man

I like Leo, just would rather have Gurley, water under the bridge, still pissed we went DE last year, some idiots even mocked us going DE this year
in the 1st.  Hope we Grab a TE and OLB today.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Neal is playing safety. Lee is playing Linebacker. Moneybacker sounds made up. Either way, it's not a premium position. That's QB, LT, and CB.

Nice, you dont even want to know how your own teams defense works? As for neal playing safety, again, depends on the team.  On the falcons, maybe.  But he has been spoken about as a potential $lb all offseason.

2 minutes ago, 77DRAFT said:

I like Leo, just would rather have Gurley, water under the bridge, still pissed we went DE last year, some idiots even mocked us going DE this year

Who needs an OLB when you have moneybackers!

And LOL at TE. This team needs to get better and younger on the offensive line. Period. That should be the focus of day 2.

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

Gurley had the knee injury though, and Leonard Williams had a hell of a rookie year. Cant blame Mac for taking the #1 player in the draft man

2 ways to look at this. 

First, have a friend who has ...somebody ...very close to him who works in the NFL office. He had occasion to talk someone very high up in said NFL office. Said NFL bigwig was at the combine, and noticed that teams are continually fixated on "measurables" of NCAA players rather than looking at their scouting, whether a player can actually play NFL football. One player was basically forced to jump for 7 different teams. The NFL has tried and failed to have the combine act as the one measurable tests for everyone,but teams instead obsess over their one specific meeting and testing. Perhaps you can defend this pick as relying on scouting. BUT...

2nd point; watched enough OSU games to know other offenses keyed on Bosa(who is gonna be a beast and will make a lot of draftniks who knocked this pick look very dumb) and the rest of their talented DL. So who was blocking this guy-a small TE? a pulling guard?, none of whom are gonna play in the NFL.  In the highlights I have seen doesn't seem he was often matched up against some 6'5" 325 lb tackle who can moves like a cat, nor some 6'5" 280 TE. In fact, looked like teams kinda left him alone. That is not gonna happen on Sundays. Sorry, but a 6'1" LB no matter how fast he is is gonna be an issue.Lee looks like a safety, This defense hasn't stopped even a  middling TE forever, and a 6'1" LB is gonna look like a cat chasing a ball of wool,  to say nothing of the tackles he will have to get off of to do anything. 

Having said all that, hope I'm very wrong.

4 hours ago, stoicsentry said:

Hmmm... sure tackler and good in coverage sound like 2 things you might want to have in a MLB.

I watched a pair of games since the pick and from what I saw, it is an overstatement to call Lee a "sure tackler".  There were multiple broken tackles and missed tackles by him as well as solid ones.  He was the fastest defender out there, obviously.

seems like we draft OL every year and no results, wouldn't mind a T in the 2nd but anything beyond the second

would be too big a risk for our scouts,  I'm ready for Quayle who they like and Harrison, especilally if Fitz is back there,

Fitz wants 16 mil ? Lets give the o line he deserves, where is turn style these days ?

Archived