Mac Should Be On The Phone All Night

SR24

Trying to find someone to take Mo for a 2nd rounder. Leave the 2nd round with Spence and Spriggs or Whitehair. Solidifies the Linebacker position while adding another stud Olinemen. Get a pure edge rusher in Spence, while Lee flies all over the field wreaking havoc. Can't beat it. 

Macc can't trade Mo because he has zero leverage.  We have to rework contracts to sign our rookies.  That means no money to resign Fitz or even bring in Hoyer.  No reserve in case of injury.  Every other GM in the league knows this.  His only other choice is to sign Mo long term and defer the cap hit to next year.  And since that is not happening, teams know he has no choice.  He is going to get fleeced Ina trade or he is going to rescind the tag.  There are teams (Jags) that are just sitting back and waiting for that.

this isn't going to end well for Macc.

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Trying to find someone to take Mo for a 2nd rounder. Leave the 2nd round with Spence and Spriggs or Whitehair. Solidifies the Linebacker position while adding another stud Olinemen. Get a pure edge rusher in Spence, while Lee flies all over the field wreaking havoc. Can't beat it. 

I like it. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This trade is bad and you should feel bad.

Hey lets trade our best player for a 2nd round pick since I cant pay him what he rightfully deserves since I screwed the budget up with overpriced talent, draft a smurf with our first round pick, and pray a journeyman QB comes back down to earth.  Party time.      

4 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Hey lets trade our best player for a 2nd round pick since I cant pay him what he rightfully deserves since I screwed the budget up with overpriced talent, draft a smurf with our first round pick, and pray a journeyman QB comes back down to earth.  Party time.      

I'm sure most people agree with this rant

8 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Do you ever say anything positive? Jesus. 

3 hours ago, Powpow said:

It's not a can't pay Mo. It's won't. There is a difference they can pay him and still save money on the cap this year. Obviously they don't want to. 

6 hours ago, Powpow said:

The problem is that they don't value him for the $ he wants. At this point the either

1. trade him and get what they can

2. take back the franchise tag (and hopefully get a 3rd in next year's compensatory pick)

3. hold him a year and waste 15 million (it is not like the jets are the broncos just needed von miller for one year to win the SB).

At this point, the choices aren't great. It seems that a 2nd (and maybe something else) would be better than the other 2 choices.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It's not a can't pay Mo. It's won't. There is a difference they can pay him and still save money on the cap this year. Obviously they don't want to. 

So they don't want to pay him yet he has a one year offer of $15.7M.  I think Macc over estimated the interest of other teams giving up their top picks for the right to pay Wilk.  No ones interested because Macc himself into a corner and can't do anything until the Wilk situation is resolved.   Rescind the tag and he'll be signed within 24 hours.

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

A 2nd rounder for Mo would be great..Not gonna happen though...this type of trade takes time as teams need to negotiate a deal with Mo first.

Mo will eventually be let go or resigned...no one is trading for him.

11 minutes ago, Pcola said:

So they don't want to pay him yet he has a one year offer of $15.7M.  I think Macc over estimated the interest of other teams giving up their top picks for the right to pay Wilk.  No ones interested because Macc himself into a corner and can't do anything until the Wilk situation is resolved.   Rescind the tag and he'll be signed within 24 hours.

Then they save the 16M and get a 3rd (likely) next year. Do we think that Mo will make enough of a difference this year to win it all? If not, we should use the money to sign players for the future.

The Cowboys are fielding trade calls for OG Ronald Leary.

Leary signed his second-round tender Thursday for the express purpose of arranging a trade. Dallas has yet to find an acceptable deal, but the Dallas Morning News' Brandon George said it is "very possible he's moved" before the end of the draft. Only 26 and with 35 starts to his name, Leary could fetch a Day 3 pick. Apr 29 - 1:10 AM

I know the Cowboys are loaded with OL talent. I don't know how good Leary is, or what kind of value he represents.

I'm just fishing for opportunities to make a player for players + picks trade with Mo.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

A 2nd rounder for Mo would be great..Not gonna happen though...this type of trade takes time as teams need to negotiate a deal with Mo first.

Mo will eventually be let go or resigned...no one is trading for him.

Likely to only get picks for next year (or players) after the draft, but agree, it is a long shot at this point.

20 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Sorry but trading Mo for a 2nd round pick is idiocy. If anything, if we lose him next year to FA, we will be compensated a 3rd. Enough of these dumb trade ideas. 

So a third round pick next year (we would hope) is better than a 2nd round pick this year?  Just asking

19 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Tagging him so that they don't lose him for nothing is not offering him a contract for 16 million. That's oversimplifying a complicated situation. Mac is not in a corner. He can just like Mo play for his outrageous tag or he can still try to move him or he could rescind the offer. He has lots of options. He'll do what's best for the team.

7 hours ago, Pcola said:

Macc can't trade Mo because he has zero leverage.  We have to rework contracts to sign our rookies.  That means no money to resign Fitz or even bring in Hoyer.  No reserve in case of injury.  Every other GM in the league knows this.  His only other choice is to sign Mo long term and defer the cap hit to next year.  And since that is not happening, teams know he has no choice.  He is going to get fleeced Ina trade or he is going to rescind the tag.  There are teams (Jags) that are just sitting back and waiting for that.

this isn't going to end well for Macc.

It could.

Sign Mo long term.  He's a brilliant talent and young still.

Resign Fitz to a reasonable deal.  I guarantee he'll take 10-12 mil for 2 years, and a long-term Mo deal makes that an option.

Draft a QB is the mid-rounds, like the smart, NFL ready guys like Cook (likely 3rd) or the kid from Stanford (likely 4th/5th).

I simply do not understand where the fanbase hatred of Mo comes from, and the seemingly universal desire to dump him like a bad habit.  He's very good, and worth big money, and a D-Line that has Sheldon, Mo, Williams available is an exceptional D-Line, and helps to protect players like Maudlin and the new kid Lee vs. the run, and allows them to exploit what they're best at, speed, persuit, pass rush.

Lets wait and see, but I reject out of hand the media-driven idea that Mo "must" be traded and that Fitz "won't" accept a reasonable deal.  

54 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Then they save the 16M and get a 3rd (likely) next year. Do we think that Mo will make enough of a difference this year to win it all? If not, we should use the money to sign players for the future.

So letting Mo play for $16M this year or rescinding the tag are good options?  We let him play out and next years tag is going to close to $20M.  

We dont have cap space to do anything.  Other GMs know this and are just waiting us out.

16 minutes ago, Pcola said:

So letting Mo play for $16M this year or rescinding the tag are good options?  We let him play out and next years tag is going to close to $20M.

I don't think that they are good options, but there are only three options IMO; pulling the tag and freeing up space (if there are real players that can help long term we can sign) or trading for anything better than the end of the 3rd next year are better IMO than paying the 16M and letting him walk the following year.

A lot of times the best choice is the lessor of the 3 bad choices.  That is why we don't have a lot of leverage; everyone knows that we are not likely to pay him this year and let him walk next year; no incentive for a big deal; but anything is better than nothing.

8 hours ago, Powpow said:

I lol'ed at this in class while these kids were testing.

the smurf thing got me

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Sorry but trading Mo for a 2nd round pick is idiocy. If anything, if we lose him next year to FA, we will be compensated a 3rd. Enough of these dumb trade ideas. 

So let me get this straight:  DON'T trade him for a second round pick, so we can wait next year and MAYBE get a 3rd round pick for him.

Got it....

9 hours ago, SR24 said:

would be a dream come true.  Both will go in the top half of round 2, so even if we land a 2nd for mo, I'm doubtful we can get both of them.  Would need to do something like Mo and our #51 to Tennessee for their #33 + #43 or #45. 

draft chart equivalent of 640 - 660 (basically giving Mo a round 1, pick 28/29 value... ironically right about where he was drafted originally.)

This will never happen, but I can dream.

so let me get this straight: I agree, trade wont happen.

If we take back the franchise tag, he will be signed quick, off our team and we save 15M this year off the cap.

If we keep him franchised, he plays for one last year and then we get a third rounder for him.

So in essence it boils down to this: We are paying 15M for an extra 3rd round pick next year.

At this point mo isn't  getting traded. I would love to trade him for a 2017 first round pick, but I don't think it will happen. The good news is he will play for a year and we will have space next year so all those Wilk or die fans can dream about us possibly signing him. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

no guaranty we would get a comp pick.  Jets will have a lot of money in 2017 cap for free agents and Mac could easily acquire more of them than we lose, yielding no comp picks for Mo.  Exactly the same as this year where we are destined to get ZERO comp picks for Snacks/Ivory/D. Davis.  Zero.

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It could.

Sign Mo long term.  He's a brilliant talent and young still.

Resign Fitz to a reasonable deal.  I guarantee he'll take 10-12 mil for 2 years, and a long-term Mo deal makes that an option.

Draft a QB is the mid-rounds, like the smart, NFL ready guys like Cook (likely 3rd) or the kid from Stanford (likely 4th/5th).

I simply do not understand where the fanbase hatred of Mo comes from, and the seemingly universal desire to dump him like a bad habit.  He's very good, and worth big money, and a D-Line that has Sheldon, Mo, Williams available is an exceptional D-Line, and helps to protect players like Maudlin and the new kid Lee vs. the run, and allows them to exploit what they're best at, speed, persuit, pass rush.

Lets wait and see, but I reject out of hand the media-driven idea that Mo "must" be traded and that Fitz "won't" accept a reasonable deal.  

keeping Mo and signing him to a long-term deal has always been my first preference and I think most fans preference as well.  

But it seems less and less likely with each passing day.  I'm starting to think that the FO doesn't find Mo to be as talented as the rest of us do.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

LIke Josh Norman

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

keeping Mo and signing him to a long-term deal has always been my first preference and I think most fans preference as well.  

But it seems less and less likely with each passing day.  I'm starting to think that the FO doesn't find Mo to be as talented as the rest of us do.

He should have been signed well before this got out of hand.

22 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I disagree, it seems more and more likely now that he was not traded as part of a Day 1 move.

While it's possible he could be moved tonight for a 2nd or 3rd or some trade-up deal, if he is still a Jet at midnight tonight, he'll be a Jet for all of 2016, and I believe, beyond.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I disagree, it seems more and more likely now that he was not traded as part of a Day 1 move.

While it's possible he could be moved tonight for a 2nd or 3rd or some trade-up deal, if he is still a Jet at midnight tonight, he'll be a Jet for all of 2016, and I believe, beyond.

I hope you are right.  (Not about 2016, but beyond).  I don't want him for just 2016.  A one year $16 million rental is just frivolous.  All-in with a long-term deal or let him go. now.

Archived