Myles Jack 225 pounds, Jaylon Smith 229 pounds

JetBlue

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Jaylon Smith's playing weight, before the injury was 243. He lost 20 pounds because he wasn't able to work out his lower body. 223 was not his playing weight and it certainly wasn't 229. He'll regain that weight quickly. He's already beasting in the weight room.

Is this going to happen before the microfracture knee surgery?

What really sucks is Myles Jack is the exact player we wanted and envisioned with speed and ability to cover at LB. Im really surprised we didn't consider him. His knee condition must be absolutely terrible. 

I can assure you with 100% certainty that just about every team in the nfl did in face consider Myles Jack yesterday. No one wanted to risk a first round pick on a guy who could be one bump away from never seeing the field again before he ever even sets foot on an nfl field. He will probably go early in the second

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, The Troll said:

It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't get off a block. I trust the coaches will use him accordingly, but he is not a prototype 3-4 ILB. I don't think the game has changed in that regard. Offensive linemen aren't getting smaller and weaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but we're not strictly 3-4 and he couldn't have landed with a better defensive line. He should be pretty free to make plays. 

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

Holy crap I forgot about Carter. This is a much better defense than last year...if they're keeping Mo.

The front 7 is ridiculous, the talent and depth on the line and at ILB now is excellent. We need Mauldin to develop his game though, if he could provide the edge rush we need...wow.

40 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The front 7 is ridiculous, the talent and depth on the line and at ILB now is excellent. We need Mauldin to develop his game though, if he could provide the edge rush we need...wow.

Yep, if Mauldin can be even a poor mans Suggs it's over they'll be dominant.

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I don't get it Shock; if you liked Jack why are you so down on Lee?  They are VERY similar players and if Jack was healthy there is no way he would have been available at 20. Even Lee was projected to go before 20.  We got good value at a position of real need.  

Hardly, Jack is a prototypical linebacker, Lee is a blown up safety who is extremely hesitant/second guesses his reads and plays scared. Guy plays with hardly any aggression at all.

56 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Hardly, Jack is a prototypical linebacker, Lee is a blown up safety who is extremely hesitant/second guesses his reads and plays scared. Guy plays with hardly any aggression at all.

So I want to get this straight; you are a better talent evaluator than Bowles, Mac and the ENTIRE SCOUTING STAFF???  Okay I just wanted to clear that up. 

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

So I want to get this straight; you are a better talent evaluator than Bowles, Mac and the ENTIRE SCOUTING STAFF???  Okay I just wanted to clear that up. 

Practically every big board out there has Jack and Smith above Lee. Only concern's are their knees, and considering the team with the doctor who did surgery on Smith just took him, I'm inclined to believe his knee will be fine hence the disappointment with taking Lee.

11 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Practically every big board out there has Jack and Smith above Lee. Only concern's are their knees, and considering the team with the doctor who did surgery on Smith just took him, I'm inclined to believe his knee will be fine hence the disappointment with taking Lee.

But the guy can't play for at least a year and the difference between Smith, Jack and Lee is not as big as you are making it out to be.  In fact, it will be interesting to see who actually has the best career; of course health, scheme etc. are all factors.   All things being equal, I rather take the guy with two good legs but that is just me.

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

But the guy can't play for at least a year and the difference between Smith, Jack and Lee is not as big as you are making it out to be.  In fact, it will be interesting to see who actually has the best career; of course health, scheme etc. are all factors.   All things being equal, I rather take the guy with two good legs but that is just me.

The difference is actually pretty huge, both Smith and Jack can take on blockers and are more of a prototypical lb then Lee is. Lee is a new age lb/s hybrid and struggles with shedding blocks, their's a large gap between them, Smith and Jack are complete while Lee's main strength is against the pass, he will struggle against the run.

In the run game, Darron Lee shows two different sides of himself. When playing in the box, Darron Lee struggles with basically everything. He struggles diagnosing plays, he struggles shedding blocks, struggles bringing down the ball carrier and all in all doesn’t show a single good trait. In traffic, Darron Lee becomes useless as his athletic ability goes away and his playing strength is awful, as teams can run him over. When playing near the edge, at will linebacker, guarding the flat and outside zone, Darron Lee shows his NFL projection. He has no problem diagnosing plays, showing good instincts bursting up to the line of scrimmage making tackles. His sideline to sideline speed is outstanding, and no one will get the edge on Darron Lee, unless he is blocked. He also shows consistent tackling, all tough his angles are usually bad and with need of improvement. He recognizes plays well, and plays his assignments to perfection even if his execution isn’t the result you want. His discipline in his assignments and ability to know where to be if it’s either a run or pass play is very impressive. Darron Lee is a space player, who won’t be reliable to set the edge near the line of scrimmage as he can’t shed blocks, but when he is roaming free he shows good aggressiveness and instincts. He won’t have any success as a mike-linebacker or as a sam-linebacker.

Their's a good analyis of his weakness. Taken from: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/4elshh/charlies_scouting_reports_5_darron_lee/

8 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

The difference is actually pretty huge, both Smith and Jack can take on blockers and are more of a prototypical lb then Lee is. Lee is a new age lb/s hybrid and struggles with shedding blocks, their's a large gap between them, Smith and Jack are complete while Lee's main strength is against the pass, he will struggle against the run.

In the run game, Darron Lee shows two different sides of himself. When playing in the box, Darron Lee struggles with basically everything. He struggles diagnosing plays, he struggles shedding blocks, struggles bringing down the ball carrier and all in all doesn’t show a single good trait. In traffic, Darron Lee becomes useless as his athletic ability goes away and his playing strength is awful, as teams can run him over. When playing near the edge, at will linebacker, guarding the flat and outside zone, Darron Lee shows his NFL projection. He has no problem diagnosing plays, showing good instincts bursting up to the line of scrimmage making tackles. His sideline to sideline speed is outstanding, and no one will get the edge on Darron Lee, unless he is blocked. He also shows consistent tackling, all tough his angles are usually bad and with need of improvement. He recognizes plays well, and plays his assignments to perfection even if his execution isn’t the result you want. His discipline in his assignments and ability to know where to be if it’s either a run or pass play is very impressive. Darron Lee is a space player, who won’t be reliable to set the edge near the line of scrimmage as he can’t shed blocks, but when he is roaming free he shows good aggressiveness and instincts. He won’t have any success as a mike-linebacker or as a sam-linebacker.

Their's a good analyis of his weakness. Taken from: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/4elshh/charlies_scouting_reports_5_darron_lee/

Okay my turn.  This is from Turn on the Jets.    This was their scouting report before the draft: 

2016 NFL Draft – Darron Lee Scouting Report

1Darron-Lee-1024x518.jpg

A former star high school quarterback, Ohio State’s Darron Lee has the athleticism that NFL teams are desperate for at the linebacker position. Could he be the answer to the Jets lack of speed in the front seven?

Player Card

• Name: Darron Lee
  • School: Ohio State University 
  • Position: LB
  • Height: 6’1″   
  • Weight: 232
  • Career Stats: 146 Tackles, 27 TFL, 11 Sacks, 3 FF, 3 INT

Workout Results

• 40 Yard Dash: 4.47 seconds
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.20 seconds
  • 3 Cone Drill: 7.12 seconds
  • Vertical Jump: 35.5 inches
  • Broad Jump: 133.0 inches
  • Bench Press: 17 reps of 225lbs

Strengths: Athleticism jumps off the screen while watching Lee play. Had the fastest 40 yard dash time by a linebacker at the combine and only seven wide receivers had faster times. Quick feet and loose hips allow him to change direction on a dime. Plays sideline to sideline and has impressive closing speed on the ball carrier. Understands offensive concepts and is quick to diagnose and react to what the offense is doing. Uses his first step quickness to shoot gaps and cause havoc in the backfield before the play can develop. Able to use his athletic ability to avoid blockers. Flashed the ability to use his hands to shed blocks. One of the better linebackers in pass coverage as he often lined up in the slot in nickel and dime situations. Can turn and run with almost anyone in man coverage. Looks comfortable while backpedalling and has no issues planting his foot and breaking on the ball. His ability to get skinny and shoot gaps makes him a dangerous inside blitzer. Also can cause havoc as an edge blitzer and has some decent pass rushing moves. Offers great versatility and can play all over the field.

e3544f4e0ad162b51f077f44e8039914.gif?140

J2HVmNL.gif

Weaknesses: Doesn’t have the ideal size for playing linebacker in the NFL, probably can only play on the weakside at this point in time. Due to his lack of natural strength, he has a tendency to try and get around blockers instead of taking them head on resulting in easy blocks and huge holes for the ball carrier. Will need to improve his ability to take on blockers at the point of attack, he often was completely swallowed by offensive lineman when they got their hands on him. Can use some refining in his block shedding technique and needs to use his hands more. Needs to improve his overall balance and body control. Often is to aggressive and will overrun the ball carrier. Tackling needs to be cleaned up as well. Only has two years of experience playing linebacker so he is still developing the necessary instincts to play the position.

Projection: A scheme versatile linebacker that is good against the pass and can rush the passer? I think just about every NFL defensive coordinator will be pulling for their team to pull the trigger on Lee, resulting in him being a Top 25 pick.

http://turnonthejets.com/2016/04/2016-nfl-draft-darron-lee-scouting-report/

I underlined his weaknesses because I know he needs to get better in several areas.  The good thing is he knows it too and is ready to put in the work. The kid is super bright and a high character guy that I think will grow on a lot skeptical fans. 

Bottom line is he has only played the position for two years and is still improving; he is far from a finished product. I think he is going to flourish playing under Todd Bowles. 

30 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Okay my turn.  This is from Turn on the Jets.    This was their scouting report before the draft: 

2016 NFL Draft – Darron Lee Scouting Report

1Darron-Lee-1024x518.jpg

A former star high school quarterback, Ohio State’s Darron Lee has the athleticism that NFL teams are desperate for at the linebacker position. Could he be the answer to the Jets lack of speed in the front seven?

Player Card

• Name: Darron Lee
  • School: Ohio State University 
  • Position: LB
  • Height: 6’1″   
  • Weight: 232
  • Career Stats: 146 Tackles, 27 TFL, 11 Sacks, 3 FF, 3 INT

Workout Results

• 40 Yard Dash: 4.47 seconds
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.20 seconds
  • 3 Cone Drill: 7.12 seconds
  • Vertical Jump: 35.5 inches
  • Broad Jump: 133.0 inches
  • Bench Press: 17 reps of 225lbs

Strengths: Athleticism jumps off the screen while watching Lee play. Had the fastest 40 yard dash time by a linebacker at the combine and only seven wide receivers had faster times. Quick feet and loose hips allow him to change direction on a dime. Plays sideline to sideline and has impressive closing speed on the ball carrier. Understands offensive concepts and is quick to diagnose and react to what the offense is doing. Uses his first step quickness to shoot gaps and cause havoc in the backfield before the play can develop. Able to use his athletic ability to avoid blockers. Flashed the ability to use his hands to shed blocks. One of the better linebackers in pass coverage as he often lined up in the slot in nickel and dime situations. Can turn and run with almost anyone in man coverage. Looks comfortable while backpedalling and has no issues planting his foot and breaking on the ball. His ability to get skinny and shoot gaps makes him a dangerous inside blitzer. Also can cause havoc as an edge blitzer and has some decent pass rushing moves. Offers great versatility and can play all over the field.

e3544f4e0ad162b51f077f44e8039914.gif?140

J2HVmNL.gif

Weaknesses: Doesn’t have the ideal size for playing linebacker in the NFL, probably can only play on the weakside at this point in time. Due to his lack of natural strength, he has a tendency to try and get around blockers instead of taking them head on resulting in easy blocks and huge holes for the ball carrier. Will need to improve his ability to take on blockers at the point of attack, he often was completely swallowed by offensive lineman when they got their hands on him. Can use some refining in his block shedding technique and needs to use his hands more. Needs to improve his overall balance and body control. Often is to aggressive and will overrun the ball carrier. Tackling needs to be cleaned up as well. Only has two years of experience playing linebacker so he is still developing the necessary instincts to play the position.

Projection: A scheme versatile linebacker that is good against the pass and can rush the passer? I think just about every NFL defensive coordinator will be pulling for their team to pull the trigger on Lee, resulting in him being a Top 25 pick.

http://turnonthejets.com/2016/04/2016-nfl-draft-darron-lee-scouting-report/

I underlined his weaknesses because I know he needs to get better in several areas.  The good thing is he knows it too and is ready to put in the work. The kid is super bright and a high character guy that I think will grow on a lot skeptical fans. 

Bottom line is he has only played the position for two years and is still improving; he is far from a finished product. I think he is going to flourish playing under Todd Bowles. 

Pretty good report, would disagree about the quick to react part though, from what I've seen, he tends to get hesitant/not play like he's the fastest guy on the team, for lack of a better words. Basically, he'll read the play, but you don't see him sprinting down to the line of scrimmage to get involved in the play, seems content to let his team mates make a play rather then getting involved. Bowles will probably fix that though, cause he'll definitely yelled at for pulling sh*t like that.

Archived