Myles Jack 225 pounds, Jaylon Smith 229 pounds

JetBlue

Yet Darron Lee is considered undersized at 232.  They are all "undersized" by the traditional definition of LB but the game has changed and all three of them fit the new type of linebacker/safety hybrid.  Since both Jack and Smith are hurt, Lee was the best choice to fill a real need.  Like most rookies, he will need to get stronger but the one thing he has that you can teach or coach is SPEED.  I can see it now Thunder (Mauldin) and Lightning (Lee).  Add Bruce Carter and we have dramatically upgraded the speed at this position. 

24 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yet Darron Lee is considered undersized at 232.  They are all "undersized" by the traditional definition of LB but the game has changed and all three of them fit the new type of linebacker/safety hybrid.  Since both Jack and Smith are hurt, Lee was the best choice to fill a real need.  Like most rookies, he will need to get stronger but the one thing he has that you can teach or coach is SPEED.  I can see it now Thunder (Mauldin) and Lightning (Lee).  Add Bruce Carter and we have dramatically upgraded the speed at this position. 

Would be awesome if the Jets somehow found a way to draft Kentrell Brothers and add him to the group of ILB's. 

It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't get off a block. I trust the coaches will use him accordingly, but he is not a prototype 3-4 ILB. I don't think the game has changed in that regard. Offensive linemen aren't getting smaller and weaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Lee said he was much bigger today than he was at the Combine.

Greg Gabriel former scout said has frame to hold 250

10 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

What really sucks is Myles Jack is the exact player we wanted and envisioned with speed and ability to cover at LB. Im really surprised we didn't consider him. His knee condition must be absolutely terrible. 

Must be since he completely fell out of the first round

6 hours ago, The Troll said:

It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't get off a block. I trust the coaches will use him accordingly, but he is not a prototype 3-4 ILB. I don't think the game has changed in that regard. Offensive linemen aren't getting smaller and weaker.

We don't have a problem with Oline getting to the second level with 3 players demanding double teams. We have a problem with coverage, and pursuit. 

This is not Rex Ryan's defense anymore. This new 3-4 has certainly changed that much. A bunch of teams are doing it including Arizona. 

10 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I don't think speed is the name of the game for Mauldin

Enviado de meu XT1563 usando Tapatalk

Hence why I said "THUNDER" for Mauldin ;-) to Lees "Lightning".  Read slower next time. 

9 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

There's no way Myles Jack is 225 pounds. Only thing about this pick that bothers me is profootballfocus said he really wasn't very good in coverage, but they also told my Kyle Wilson was. So we'll see I guess

He may have gained weight since the season ended, but this was listed weight.  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=myles%20jack%20height%20weight.  No comment about Jaylon Smith being 229 llbs? If he was healthy he would have been a top 15 maybe top 10 pick.  By the way anyone who says Lee was not very good in coverage has lost all credibility. 

3 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We don't have a problem with Oline getting to the second level with 3 players demanding double teams. We have a problem with coverage, and pursuit. 

This is not Rex Ryan's defense anymore. This new 3-4 has certainly changed that much. A bunch of teams are doing it including Arizona. 

Glad someone else gets it. 

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

What really sucks is Myles Jack is the exact player we wanted and envisioned with speed and ability to cover at LB. Im really surprised we didn't consider him. His knee condition must be absolutely terrible. 

It is not healed and until he recovers fully he has value but its risky, he will probably go in late 2nd or 3rd but who knows, I have a torn meniscus and it is a major

deal, He also has other damage, he might have totaled the knee, there lies the concern,  you draft him on a wing and a prayer, probably goes today at some point and probably to us.

8 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Simply said, Mac picked another Aaron Maybin. A guy that is very quick, yes, but will never be able to make that transition to the pros. The pick is garbage.

Maybin is not the same player at all, at least watch him play in pre season before you make your judgement, this guy can fly and he can squeeze through

creases and get to the db.   MAC/Bowles are good at picking LBs, any great 3/4 D is defined more by their L backers than anything else, we need 2 more.

14 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Simply said, Mac picked another Aaron Maybin. A guy that is very quick, yes, but will never be able to make that transition to the pros. The pick is garbage.

Well, Maybin tried to rush the passer as an OLB at 230.   This guy is going to try to range sideline to sideline at 225, so not quite the same thing.

I've never seen him play, and I'm not a GM, but I wasn't thrilled.

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I don't get it Shock; if you liked Jack why are you so down on Lee?  They are VERY similar players and if Jack was healthy there is no way he would have been available at 20. Even Lee was projected to go before 20.  We got good value at a position of real need.  

35 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Based on what?  Maybin was a 230lbs DE.  Lee is a LB in the mold of Bobby Wagner, LaVonte David, and Malcom Lee.  And that's the position he's going to be playing in the NFL.

10 hours ago, The Troll said:

Patrick Willis 6'1 240

Navorro bowman 6'0 240

Oh but Lee is a shrimp, SOJ

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

Maybin was taller, and had more production in college. Just because one failed doesn't mean the other will too though.

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Ya. If he's down to 225 that means he's lost 20lbs of cartilage since the combine. 

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Any time you hear the word degenerative... be afraid!!  That's why CC Sabathia's knees are about 108 while the rest of him is 35.

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Based on what?  Maybin was a 230lbs DE.  Lee is a LB in the mold of Bobby Wagner, LaVonte David, and Malcom Lee.  And that's the position he's going to be playing in the NFL.

Idk if people will ever discover that a 3-4 edge rusher is not the same position as a Will, which is not a Mike. I guess we should have tried Coples at Will before we let him go. 

Also Bowels 3-4 is not Rex' 3-4, which is not Mangini's 3-4 Those who remember Vilma failing remember Mangini's read and react straight up 2 gap. 

I can see this kid being like an extra player on the field compared to DD. I think we always have a free man or two between Lee, Pryor, and Skrine. They all have overlapping capabilities and can each drop and read the play or blitz at any time.  

Archived