http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16723/deone-bucannon

That team went through 4 QB's (Palmer, Stanton, Lindley & Thomas) and still
won 11 games because of Bowles scheme.  After years of having "elephants"
at the LB position we are finally addressing the problem.  In addition
during Lee's rookie year he'll help us tremendously in special teams  

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not hate. When this franchise hasn't had a quarterback since Namath, whom I have seen play and win the Superbowl, you can't pass up what many are predicting as the next or even better Rothlesberger. I get the fact he has to sit, and also get the fact we need speed linebackers. Those can come in next years draft. Even with Lee and the rest of who they pick, I believe 2016 is a regression year due to the schedule. You can't pass on a guy who has the (here's the word) potential to be the franchise QB for the next 12 years. 

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

Know Bowles history.  Back in 2014 ARZ lost multiple front seven players
at the start of the season (Abraham, Dockett & Washington) but he had
an overabundance of secondary talent.  So to cover up for that deficiency
Bowles converted Deone Bucannon to a "speed LB" to attack the multiple
spread offenses opponents were running:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16723/deone-bucannon

That team went through 4 QB's (Palmer, Stanton, Lindley & Thomas) and still
won 11 games because of Bowles scheme.  After years of having "elephants"
at the LB position we are finally addressing the problem.  In addition
during Lee's rookie year he'll help us tremendously in special teams  

At first I was disappointed in the pick then when I heard that Mac/Bowles see him as an ILB I started to feel better.  I guess for now we just have to believe our brain trust knows what they are doing.  They certainly are selecting the players they want.  Go Jets!

Dear all you Dumb ass Bastads,

2015 All Pro Linebackers:

Navarro Bowman 6'0 240

THomas Davis 6'1 235

Luke Kuechly 6'3 235

Bobby Wagner 6'0 240

Derrick Johnson 6'3 245

Now take these numbers and go to the directly shove them up your ass button and repeat until the word, undersized, is erased from your jetnation vocabulary, regarding NFL linebackers.

I like the pick considering all of the OT's were off the board, only question will be how much better Lee will be compared to Cravens or Jones who will be there for our second round pick.  I think Lee will be great in coverage and he has an eye for the ball (interceptions), should be fun to watch, his Mom is the local newscaster so he is used to the spotlight and he just turned 21, could be a 12+ year player...

Can see the argument for WR but Coleman must have been their guy to pair with Petty

I think fans would have been equally split on Lynch

47 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

It's not hate. When this franchise hasn't had a quarterback since Namath, whom I have seen play and win the Superbowl, you can't pass up what many are predicting as the next or even better Rothlesberger. I get the fact he has to sit, and also get the fact we need speed linebackers. Those can come in next years draft. Even with Lee and the rest of who they pick, I believe 2016 is a regression year due to the schedule. You can't pass on a guy who has the (here's the word) potential to be the franchise QB for the next 12 years. 

You don't use the first round to pick a QB at 20 who might need a year OR two to sit.  You pick that guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

12 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I like the pick considering all of the OT's were off the board, only question will be how much better Lee will be compared to Cravens or Jones who will be there for our second round pick.  I think Lee will be great in coverage and he has an eye for the ball (interceptions), should be fun to watch, his Mom is the local newscaster so he is used to the spotlight and he just turned 21, could be a 12+ year player...

Can see the argument for WR but Coleman must have been their guy to pair with Petty

I think fans would have been equally split on Lynch

Jet Lee is going to be a star here for a long time. 

52 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

At first I was disappointed in the pick then when I heard that Mac/Bowles see him as an ILB I started to feel better.  I guess for now we just have to believe our brain trust knows what they are doing.  They certainly are selecting the players they want.  Go Jets!

Where did you think he would play if not ilb?

this is a great pick.  all those plays we watch where rbs run wild, where qbs scramble and there's no jet lbs who can catch him - lee is that guy.  all those times where the jets don't have speed in the middle of the field to get off the field on 3rd down - lee is that guy.  

49 minutes ago, KRL said:

And for the "size police" here are some measurables:

Jonathan Vilma (NYJ/NO) 6-1 230

Luke Kuechly (CAR) 6-3 235

Thomas Davis (CAR) 6-1 235

The argument is going to be "Vilma didn't fit the 3-4", which is horse, but fans during the Mangini era truly bought into the notion that a coach has to have "his players" before he can install "his system", rather than scheming around the talent you do have.

Mangini and Tanny purging the few decent players back then is what ultimately led to Favre, to Rex, to Sanchez, to Idzik... and to bottoming out. All one big chain reaction.

Guys like Bobby Wagner, Thomas Davis, Ryan Shazier are the future of this pass happy league. We have the big boys up front. Does anyone remember how Ray Lewis struggled when Ngata & a couple other guys on their line went down. Of course LBs need the big boys to keep those 315LB behemoths off of them. When you get ranked on most top 100 lists from 15-20 you are one athletic mo-fo. The only reason fans are crying is again it wasn't a sexy pick but who could possibly say we didn't have the need for speed at LB?

The Best Olineman were gone. Many 1st round WRs fail, just ask Patriot fans. Why would Paxton Lynch have a better chance to be better than Kyle Petty? (Petty is big, strong, can move, and has a strong arm). 

You have to be a special athlete to be looked at as a top 20 pick (before the draft). The Jets picked another "football player", a high production guy. Finally, we have a regime who does this. It's hilarious reading these posts, it's like fans forget that there are tons of 1st round busts in the NFL. The real value comes tonight & tomorrow, but Lee will be a solid Jet with many fans arriving to MetLife wearing his Jersey. Picking at 20 that's alright with me.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The smallish linebacker is the new way linebackers are built in this NFL. Macc said last night that he knows that he needs to gain a bit of weight. So I just dont know why people hate this so much

People don't hate this pick, just  a few posters who crave the "wow" factor are a little critical. Most insiders and those that cover the NFL and the Jets seem to like the pick.

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

You don't use the first round to pick a QB at 20 who might need a year OR two to sit.  You pick that guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

But you pick an undersized ILB - that the HC came out and said will be used only as a nickel LB and may eventually develop into a 3 down player?

1 minute ago, JiF said:

KRL is the crying police around here.  He determines who you're allowed to bash, whine or cry about.

I'm super excited about a shrimp S/LB hybrid at 20 because you cant find those guys in every round. 

The first thing Mayock said about the pick   " every time I watched OSU tape # 43 was all over the field." I know you hated Lynch..who would you have taken there? This guy is a good player. 

Harris is still a heck of a LB but he is a liability in coverage.  I love Mauldin but he has a ways to go before being anything more than a pass rusher.  Henderson by default is a starter.  Lee brings many options to the defense and is built more like the the modern LB"s of today.     It's a good pick at the 20th spot.  

As for Lynch doesn't it seem like we passed on dating the ugly girl only to find out that the coolest guy in school asked her out?    Let's see if Elway reached or is a genius.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

And for the "size police" here are some measurables:

Jonathan Vilma (NYJ/NO) 6-1 230

Luke Kuechly (CAR) 6-3 235

Thomas Davis (CAR) 6-1 235

LOL. Too much truth here. But let's face it, Bowles knows nothing about how to construct a defense. Compared to the defensive geniuses on this board, he's a short, light puppy.

Just now, section314 said:

The first thing Mayock said about the pick   " every time I watched OSU tape # 43 was all over the field." I know you hated Lynch..who would you have taken there? This guy is a good player. 

I didnt hate Lynch.  He made a lot of sense to me at #20.  I hated the idea of trading up for him.  So, yes, I would have taken Lynch (or one of the WR's).  Lee might be a good player but its my opinion you could have found that skill set in every single round more specifically, I think players like Cravens, Wright, Brown, Jones, Morrison would have been a better pick in the later rounds because I dont really see a significant drop off.  I get that he's an exceptional athlete and all that but IDK man...just seems like something we could have had later and taken a more important positoin there. 

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

LOL. Too much truth here. But let's face it, Bowles knows nothing about how to construct a defense. Compared to the defensive geniuses on this board, he's a short, light puppy.

And Bowles faced these guys quite a few times out West so he knows what can be done with these smaller yet quicker LB's.

Lee is now a Jet. Get used to the Jets picking situational players. Most teams throw right now. Teams will have to improvise as per the schedule. Teams like Dallas will run and win a great deal of games as opponents will not be able to stop the run with smallish players.

Two down players are now a big part of the modern day NFL

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

KRL is the crying police around here.  He determines who you're allowed to bash, whine or cry about.

I'm super excited about a shrimp S/LB hybrid at 20 because you cant find those guys in every round. 

This is my concern.  I think he'll ultimately be a nice player to have, but could we not have gotten a similarly quick, undersized linebacker in the 3rd round?  Perhaps not as good, but will the difference be as significant as the other talent we could have brought in?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I didnt hate Lynch.  He made a lot of sense to me at #20.  I hated the idea of trading up for him.  So, yes, I would have taken Lynch (or one of the WR's).  Lee might be a good player but its my opinion you could have found that skill set in every single round more specifically, I think players like Cravens, Wright, Brown, Jones, Morrison would have been a better pick in the later rounds because I dont really see a significant drop off.  I get that he's an exceptional athlete and all that but IDK man...just seems like something we could have had later and taken a more important positoin there. 

Fair points.You know I liked Su'a Cravens too. I actually thought we might pick William Jackson. I would love to ask MaC if Ryan Kelly had been there if he would have taken him? Tonight will be interesting....lots of good players left. Feel terrible for Jack.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

This is my concern.  I think he'll ultimately be a nice player to have, but could we not have gotten a similarly quick, undersized linebacker in the 3rd round?  Perhaps not as good, but will the difference be as significant as the other talent we could have brought in?

See my other response in this thread.  There are 5 guys to be had in the 2nd/3rd round who bring the exact same thing to the table.  Maybe not the athlete Lee is but I don think the drop off would be significant at all.

There is no agrument in today's NFL that Lee's skill set is important.  That type of player who can stay on the field on running and passing down is crucial...but its the value of the pick there that isnt sitting well with me. 

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But you pick an undersized ILB - that the HC came out and said will be used only as a nickel LB and may eventually develop into a 3 down player?

Look at the alternatives. A QB who needs to sit for a year and a WR who will be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Neither one will get as much playing time as Lee this year

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Who though? What other talent?

Archived