Round One - Biggest Reach / Biggest Steal

jamesr

OK, so who is your biggest reach of Rd 1 / who's your biggest steal?

REACH - I'm going with Eli Apple; a lot of people thought he'd be a reach for us at 20, G-Men took him at 10. Cue the predictable headlines about "Big Apple" ... 

STEAL - loathed to say it, but Miami made out like bandits with Tunsil dropping

Reach - Karl Joseph.      Ss was the biggest need for the Raiders , and there was no way he would have made it to there second round pick. Still he probably went a little early than he should have. Probably figure they can still get the defense lineman in the second round.

Steal- Tunsil That was great luck for the Dolphins that he dropped to them.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Eli Apple is a Revis clone and far from a reach . Fish made out like bandits, but I'm not sure that Miami is the best place for that kid .

Eli Apple looks more like a Kyle Wilson clone from the tape they where showing. He grabs on every play and never turns his head

Reach - Elliot to Dallas - you have the best OL in the league.  Any RB should be able to eat behind that line.  You dont go wasting top 5 picks on an irrelevant position.  They better be next generation type talent.

Steal - Tunsil to the Dolphags. 

Apple is not a reach.

Phins did get a great potential talent, the "steal" part is TBD and depends on the kid and how he moves forward.  He dumps the juvie stuff, it's a likely huge steal.  He gets suspended as a rookie, and heads down the Manziel path of delinquency, not so much.

Far too early to say (as always).

45 minutes ago, JiF said:

Reach - Elliot to Dallas - you have the best OL in the league.  Any RB should be able to eat behind that line.  You dont go wasting top 5 picks on an irrelevant position.  They better be next generation type talent.

Yeah, the Elliot pick I definitely did not get at all.  While widely regarded as a top level talent, the pick seems to go completely against what the Cowboys have been doing for years now, building a dominant OL and you can plug just about any RB behind them to find great success.  Very strange.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, the Elliot pick I definitely did not get at all.  While widely regarded as a top level talent, the pick seems to go completely against what the Cowboys have been doing for years now, building a dominant OL and you can plug just about any RB behind them to find great success.  Very strange.

I would have taken him off the board all together the second I saw him wearing a half shirt under his blazer.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Reach - Keanu Neal

Steal - Tunsel

Neal was such a shock.  Even us Gators fans who got to watch him.  He's fun, he's exciting, he's fast and he hits hard.  But never, ever, did I think i was watching a 1st round talent.

Hargraveas and Bullard on the other hand...

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

REACH - I'm going with Eli Apple; a lot of people thought he'd be a reach for us at 20, G-Men took him at 10. Cue the predictable headlines about "Big Apple" ... 

That was my 2 right off the bat.

When you get a guy who could have gone #1 overall at 13 or whatever, that's a steal.  And seriously, he smoked pot in college and took money, and then told the truth about it.  Wow, a guy smoking pot in college, I shudder at the thought.  Good he gets slapped now, and slap some sense into him, that's a steal for the Fish.

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

I agree with both. I just hope that dope head Tunsil starts hanging out with Ricky Williams again. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Eli Apple is a Revis clone and far from a reach . Fish made out like bandits, but I'm not sure that Miami is the best place for that kid .

Eli Apple will never be Revis and Tunsil smoked weed (WOW!) and defended his mother from an attacker.Whats being in Miami have to do with it. BTW good  for him for defending mom.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Some claim Elliot is the best RB prospect to come out in years. Luck of RBs. They were hell bent on Bosa though. But after the SD pick, it was either Ramsey or EZ. Ramsey is more of a safety n I'm not sure you go S with the 4th overall pick. If a scrub behind that OL can look like Demarco, imagine what a Luck-like prospect can do.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yea - watched the draft w/ 2 Cowboy fans...to say the least they weren't very happy

5 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Some claim Elliot is the best RB prospect to come out in years. Luck of RBs. They were hell bent on Bosa though. But after the SD pick, it was either Ramsey or EZ. Ramsey is more of a safety n I'm not sure you go S with the 4th overall pick. If a scrub behind that OL can look like Demarco, imagine what a Luck-like prospect can do.

The Luck of RB's.  I dont even know what that means.

Here's a list of 1st round RB's since 2010.

Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson, Mark Ingram, CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best.

lol

It's a bad pick. I could keep going. And they'd all be pathetic except for one year when AP and Beast mode went in the first.

RB's in the first, in recent history, are a disaster. 

Just now, JiF said:

The Luck of RB's.  I dont even know what that means.

Here's a list of 1st round RB's since 2010.

Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson, Mark Ingram, CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best.

lol

It's a bad pick. I could keep going. And they'd all be pathetic except for one year when AP and Beast mode went in the first.

RB's in the first, in recent history, are a disaster. 

That's why I said, he's the best prospect to come out in years. Luck of RBs (of course you know what that means!). 

Just now, j4jets said:

That's why I said, he's the best prospect to come out in years. Luck of RBs (of course you know what that means!). 

Was he?  He was rated higher than Gurley?  Richardson?  IDK about that.  I dont even think he's better than Henry.

6 minutes ago, peebag said:

Yea - watched the draft w/ 2 Cowboy fans...to say the least they weren't very happy

I live out here.  Most Cowboy fans I talk to are very excited.  

RB can excel pretty fast, they have maybe 2 more Romo years, with that O Line, and D McFadden as the back up, they may run for 22-2500 yards.  That defense will be the best rested unit in the league.

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I live out here.  Most Cowboy fans I talk to are very excited.  

RB can excel pretty fast, they have maybe 2 more Romo years, with that O Line, and D McFadden as the back up, they may run for 22-2500 yards.  That defense will be the best rested unit in the league.

It all hinges on an old oft-injured qb.  Who's the 2nd qb on that team?

Elliott is a perfect example of a guy who was a "first round pick" 2 months ago, then become a top 15 pick, then became a top 10 pick, then became the 4th pick. The hype machine catapulted him into the pick where he got drafted not the football reasons.

he seems to me like a really safe pick, he will block, catch, run inside, etc... but he is not a game changer like Gurley could be, like AP was, etc... and i would argue you dont take a RB in the top 5 in todays NFL anyways...3-4 years ago you had good running backs falling out of the 1st, last year RB's made a comback...this could be the pick that pushed people back into not drafting RB's high.

all this, and not to mention that the cowboys have a dominant line...and should be able to make due without spending the 4th pick on a RB

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Was he?  He was rated higher than Gurley?  Richardson?  IDK about that.  I dont even think he's better than Henry.

Girly was rated up there too. He didn't exactly disappoint. And TRich sucks, yeah but you always have busts. 

1 hour ago, peebag said:

oh, it all hinges on keeping Romo upright.  It's Russian Roulette, but what is there other choice.

Backup is... Matt Moore? 

2 hours ago, peebag said:

Zeke will do a lot to keep Romo alive this year ... a real threat at RB is a good thing to keep the pressure off your QB.

2 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Falcons and Giants are both huge Reaches

Dolphins Steal of the century

I think Dallas getting the OT as an UDFA was better value.

Projected to be a 1st rd. pick, ex-girlfriend and baby-mama gets killed 2 days before draft.... cleared of all charges after draft, Dalls gets a very good OL

Archived