The Lee pick reminds me of

k-met57

John Vilma

Polarizing pick in terms of fan reaction. Turned out to be a great pick at 12.

We badly needed some speed and coverage ability between the DL and the back end. Now lets go get some OL help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously. Everyone on the defense is oversized. It works pretty well to take on blockers, and make tackles as long as no one misses. When someone does miss, or gets blocked out we get seriously burnt.

Lee is going to clean up in this D getting all the tackles with help from his big friends. He'll be overrated very soon. 

Vilma was neither a great pick nor a great player. He was one of the most overrated players we've had in the past 20 years. Hopefully this kid doesn't get blown up & taken out of plays by lone fullbacks, or dragged past the first down marker while still getting credit for his precious tackle stat.

I'm sure Lee will be a solid player at worst. It's the position that I object to. ILB is a position we could get a really good starter in free agency for the same or less than we gave to Skrine (or Harris, for that matter). Then use the 1st round pick on the type of player that (in his prime) never reaches free agency (or if he does, he costs twice that or more). 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Reminds me of picking Calvin Pryor with Derek Carr and Bridgewater still on the board.

Every team that has won the super bowl the last 5 years has won it of its defense.

im fine with spending all of ours first on defense and getting good offensive players later in the rounds, just like Seattle.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Reminds me of picking Calvin Pryor with Derek Carr and Bridgewater still on the board.

yup, and we all got lectured about BPA that night also…can't be reaching for those project QB's and all.

Vilma was neither a great pick nor a great player. He was one of the most overrated players we've had in the past 20 years. Hopefully this kid doesn't get blown up & taken out of plays by lone fullbacks, or dragged past the first down marker while still getting credit for his precious tackle stat.

I'm sure Lee will be a solid player at worst. It's the position that I object to. ILB is a position we could get a really good starter in free agency for the same or less than we gave to Skrine (or Harris, for that matter). Then use the 1st round pick on the type of player that (in his prime) never reaches free agency (or if he does, he costs twice that or more). 

If we could have gotten a really good starter in free agency we would have, considering this is a huge gap for us. The biggest blown plays we have had recently have been because our LB are slow and can't cover RB's catching the ball, QB's rolling out etc...

Don't discount that the name of the game with Lee is speed. Its really hard to get a veteran in free agency who doesn't have wear and tear on him and isn't starting to slow down. You want young explosive kids at your speed positions.

Also Vilma was not overrated, but you can make the Curtis Martin argument with him I guess. To each their own.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

beat me to it, since when was Vilma some super stud? My lasting memories of him are him getting blown up by running backs on a regular basis. He was average.Above average on a good day.

im fine with spending all of ours first on defense and getting good offensive players later in the rounds, just like Seattle.

8 straight years of using a 1st round pick on defense, you'd think the Jets defense would be better than the '86 Bears and '00 Ravens.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

8 straight years of using a 1st round pick on defense, you'd think the Jets defense would be better than the '86 Bears and '00 Ravens.

Given that our last 1st rounder on offense was Sanchez, can you blame us for staying away since? :D 

4 minutes ago, bergenjets said:

How long have the Jets been getting torched in the slot/by TEs. It's about time they did something about it.

He will be a blessing when it comes to those fast and shifty rb's we will face this year along with those scrambling qbs ( im looking at your wilson and taylor).

The memories of being torched by TE's comes from rex's time here. I do not remember being dominated by a TE last year besides Gronk, but he dominate everyone.

8 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Every team that has won the super bowl the last 5 years has won it of its defense.

That's a great philosophy but we are not getting any returns on our later picks.  Last 2nd round pick that did anything positive was David Harris, 10 drafts ago.

The jury is still out on last years picks but Seattle gets a return almost immediately from their draft class.  And they don't use first rounders on defense every year for a decade.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You don't address the situation by avoidance.

I'm just glad the Jets passed on Lynch.

Interestingly we've spent more 1st rounders on offense than the Patsies in the last 10 years - Solder is "it" as far as NE is concerned.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Did you fear his ability to hold a clipboard for the next two years? :D 

Ok and if he ends up starting for Denver before the end of this season, Macc and his staff of scouts should be fired.  Right?

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

Ok and if he ends up starting for Denver before the end of this season, Macc and his staff of scouts should be fired.  Right?

If he starts and does well, then I'd be pi$$ed at our guys for passing him up. I wouldn't say fired, but it would definitely be a major black mark.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Quick to diagnose and flow to the ball. Has unusual ability to find the most efficient routes to the ball. Has athleticism and flexibility to contort his body and succeed through difficult tackle angles. Plays with loose hips, quick feet and desired agility of an NFL weak-side linebacker. Former high school quarterback with the change of direction and speed to be a rangy playmaker. Comfortable in space and excels there. Has plus man cover talent. Willing to stand in and take on blockers with a leveraged strike if his gap is being threatened. Capable gap blitzer with ability to get skinny through the holes.

WEAKNESSES

Smallish linebacker. Play strength doesn't come close to matching puffed up listed weight. Balance issues at point of attack could plague him over his NFL career. Has the body type of a big safety. Tape shows few authoritative tackles. Involved in too many arm and shoestring tackles. Comes flying in and fails to come to balance at times. Charged with 21 missed and five broken tackles over the last two seasons. Always at size disadvantage and will have to learn to slip more blocks. Can get better at finding targets in zone coverage.

NFL COMPARISON

Zach Brown

BOTTOM LINE

Lee's level of NFL success might very well be tied to scheme fit and his ability to add more muscle to his frame. His athletic traits and ability to make plays should make him a starter, but he won't unlock his full potential unless he gets strong enough to handle the rigors of an NFL linebacker.

Archived