Grade the Pick: Darron Lee

Sarge4Tide

Draft Grade  

141 members have voted

1. 1. I would give the Darron Lee pick a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

What grade do you give the Jets for their selection of Ohio State LB Darron Lee  with the 20th pick in the NFL Draft?

Bowles and company have a vision of what they want to do with Darron Lee.  Let's wait to see what that is before you're ready to grade this player.

Bruce Carter and Darron Lee should give much need speed and coverage ability from inside Lb's.( that is big time upgrade there).

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Drafting a Nickel LB is not my idea of a great pick. 

What are you smoking?

He's projected to be a backup for Henderson. That's what Bowles said.

So, in the first round the jets drafted a backup to a guy that should be a backup himself.

We drafted a third string shrimp

same old jets

We did this exercise predraft and Lee was in the conversation.  I gave it a C then and I'll give it a C now.

It's just a meh pick.  He could be a good player.  Hell, he could be great.  But the value...there are other guys who do the same thing, just as well and could have been had much later. 

a D and being generous

He will be this years D Millner or last years D Smith

Elway showed once again why he is a genius -he knows more about qbs than anybody  and has a ring as a gm-there is not way you can convince me otherwise that we should have not taken Lynch

13 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

C+.  The pick filled a need, but the most glaring need - a QB , was not addressed.  At least not yet.  If the Jets draft a QB in the 2nd round, this pick becomes an A.

Lynch was the pick he was standing there waiting for us-not that I am saying lynch will be marino but I had the same feeling watch the jets pass on him

Elway is a genius and got the best qb in the draft and this is the PERFECT spot for Lynch

2 hours ago, no psls said:

Can he step on the field before we grade him ?

NO.

This is over reaction day.  For me, I don't like it, he's a big safety.  But, since I don't know how to actually evaluate talent, I hope I'm wrong and he's a stud.

I gave us a B. Too early to give out any As yet. He was predicted by many to be going earlier than 20. He fits a big need of this team. There is little downside with this guy. It is highly doubtful that he will be a bust. He should contribute in 2016 and be a player who improves. He is not a home run if that's what you were looking for. Just a really good football player which is what we needed. At worst he will be a good role player. And have a five year plus career.

Gave it a B+. He will be a good player for us in a position of need. After watching some tape on him he does not pop off the screen like you would hope but this was the 20th selection in the draft.

Imagine if myles jack drops to our second round pick, Lee and Jack as our ilb's would be an amazing tandem

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I gave us a B. Too early to give out any As yet. He was predicted by many to be going earlier than 20. He fits a big need of this team. There is little downside with this guy. It is highly doubtful that he will be a bust. He should contribute in 2016 and be a player who improves. He is not a home run if that's what you were looking for. Just a really good football player which is what we needed,

yes he has all of the makings of another gholston

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

No I don't think so. Gholston was more of a combine freak. The Jets did a poor job evaluating him in terms of having a pro football motor and heart. This guy was an outstanding player on the field. I think Bowles can get a lot out of him even this season. He should be a contributor right away in that scheme. 

32 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

What are you smoking?

So, in the first round the jets drafted a backup to a guy that should be a backup himself.

same old jets

Great analysis. Really some good points there. Now pass the barf bag. 

I gave it a B+. I would have given it a B if not for Bowles being the Jets coach. He will know exactly how to use Lee. 

Lee has a number of things he needs to work on. He needs to get stronger, work on his tackling, and continue developing his pass rush and coverage skills. 

But the fact that there was a lot of great talent on the board (including Lynch) and the Jets STILL went with Lee actually makes me feel much better about the pick. It shows how highly they regarded him compared to all the other great talent. And it shows me that they really didn't believe Lynch WAS the guy.  

1. He is one of the best pure athletes in the draft, period.

2. He is a great scheme fit. Bowles is going to have fun using him in all kinds of scenarios- dropping into zone coverage, blitzing, man coverage on TEs, shooting the gaps on run plays, letting him roam as a spy. When you have a great S/LB hybrid you can absolutely terrorize the offense regardless of what they do. And if Lee can improve all of his skill sets, he could be an effective 3 down LB.

3. He is a playmaker. Regardless of his size, fit or whatever Lee is a defensive playmaker and he did just that for the Buckeyes the whole time he was there- starting as a freshman. He has that playmaker awareness and knack for always being around the ball. This is a guy that will fly all over the field and always get himself involved in the play.

4. He's not a 'raw' talent. He may have difficulty transitionig to the NFL and of course Bowles isn't going to hand him the starting spot over a veteran on draft day. Lee will have to WORK for it. But I have absolutely no doubt Bowles already has plans for Lee to make an impact in the 2016-17 season. Lee was very productive in college and has the field awareness to come right in and play. He's not going to go out there and look lost on the field.       

So 'third string shrimp'? I don't think so. What a moronic comment. You sir are the weakest link, goodbye. 

33 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

What are you smoking?

same old jets

I too am furious that prior to training camp and 13 seconds after he was selected, we didn't just anoint him the starter like that idiot up in Buffalo used to do as soon as a guy was drafted.

I am so-so on the pick myself, but to call it a failure because Bowles didn't name him the starter over Henderson immediately after he was picked is insanely illogical.

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Great analysis. Really some good points there. Now pass the barf bag. 

I gave it a B+. I would have given it a B if not for Bowles being the Jets coach. He will know exactly how to use Lee. 

Lee has a number of things he needs to work on. He needs to get stronger, work on his tackling, and continue developing his pass rush and coverage skills. 

But the fact that there was a lot of great talent on the board (including Lynch) and the Jets STILL went with Lee actually makes me feel much better about the pick. It shows how highly they regarded him compared to all the other great talent. And it shows me that they really didn't believe Lynch WAS the guy.  

1. He is one of the best pure athletes in the draft, period.

2. He is a great scheme fit. Bowles is going to have fun using him in all kinds of scenarios- dropping into zone coverage, blitzing, man coverage on TEs, shooting the gaps on run plays, letting him roam as a spy. When you have a great S/LB hybrid you can absolutely terrorize the offense regardless of what they do. And if Lee can improve all of his skill sets, he could be an effective 3 down LB.

3. He is a playmaker. Regardless of his size, fit or whatever Lee is a defensive playmaker and he did just that for the Buckeyes the whole time he was there- starting as a freshman. He has that playmaker awareness and knack for always being around the ball. This is a guy that will fly all over the field and always get himself involved in the play.

4. He's not a 'raw' talent. He may have difficulty transitionig to the NFL and of course Bowles isn't going to hand him the starting spot over a veteran on draft day. Lee will have to WORK for it. But I have absolutely no doubt Bowles already has plans for Lee to make an impact in the 2016-17 season. Lee was very productive in college and has the field awareness to come right in and play. He's not going to go out there and look lost on the field.       

So 'third string shrimp'? I don't think so. What a moronic comment. You sir are the weakest link, goodbye. 

the bolded is funny

I also like the fact that because there was lots of great talent on the board as you put it and we took this guy that he must be just amazing

we passed on Lynch -the broncos run by a hall of fame qb and just won a ring as gm traded up for LYNCH the guy we should have taken

A or B for the player I guess, but a big fat F for the pick. This front office gives zero ****s about the long game. This is not what the team needed and this offseason has done nothing but served to dig us deeper into the hole that we're going to be in at the end of 2017.

Look at this ******* roster. Jesus. Like 5-6 players that you can say are here for the long haul and not one of them is a blue chipper on the offensive side. Some seriously dark days ahead.

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

They both went to Ohio State.

They are both African-American men.

They both have an "L" in their last name.

That's about where the similarities end so by your analysis there have probably been 500 other Gholston's in the last 10 years.

Archived