NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, April 29, 2016, 7:52 AM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A
SHARE THIS URL
Laremy Tunsil of Ole Miss holds up a jersey with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.JON DURR/GETTY IMAGES

Laremy Tunsil of Ole Miss holds up a jersey with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets tried to trade up for Mississippi tackle Laremy Tunsil during his controversial draft-day slide on Thursday night. The asking price proved to be too steep.

Tunsil, arguably the top non-quarterback prospect this year, went into free fall after a short video of him taking a bong hit with a gas mask surfaced on his Twitter account shortly before the start of the draft.

One year after Mike Maccagnan landed arguably the top player in the draft (Leonard Williams), he made a play for the ultra-talented Tunsil when his stock started to plummet.

Tunsil, regarded as a plug-and-play left tackle, ultimately landed in the AFC East when the Dolphins selected him with the No. 13 pick.

A pair of tackles (Notre Dame's Ronnie Stanley and Michigan State's Jack Conklin) were drafted before Tunsil final heard his name called.

He later told reporters that a hacker posted the two-year-old video on his social media account. He also admitted that he took money from an Ole Miss coach.

The bizarre night capped a surreal few days for Tunsil, whose step-father filed a lawsuit against the player earlier in the week for defamation of character and an alleged attack last summer.

The Jets are looking to upgrade their offensive line. They traded for Denver's Ryan Clady weeks ago after D'Brickashaw Ferguson's retirement.

Tunsil would have been the steal of the first round.

Gang Green drafted Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee with the No. 20 pick.

It's not just the marijluana issue. He also admitted to taking money from an Ole Miss coach (after asking them for it). Which means he could be leaving Ole Miss and bringing down the entire program (kind of like Reggie Bush did with USC). He was asked about it and told the truth. Maybe he's too honest! Probably the Jets are better off without him.I'll take Lee.

In a way, I'm glad they didn't give up the 'high' asking price. Yes, he is the steal of the draft considering the risk/reward and the fact that he was considered to be the top prospect in the draft. BUT, I think MOST teams passed on him (especially early) because of his injury history more so than the twitter pick. Its absolutely critical that your LT is durable. I think teams were scared away that Tunsil was going to be another one of those great players that's constantly hampered by injuries. The twitter pic did not help. But I think its the injuries that made him slide. I would have absolutely hated it if we traded up, giving up a lot of assets and ended up with a dominant LT that couldn't get on the field due to injury.  

But I like that Mac is the type of GM that inquires about moving up as soon as he seen a top prospect slide. I also like that he is the type of GM that does not fold and give up more than he was originally willing to give up. 

Lee was a gutsy pick b/c he is a high risk/high reward type of player. The risk being that he never finds a true position in the NFL and end up being a situational player. The reward being that he is one of the top athletes in the draft and can turn into a versatile LB that can do it all- blitz, cover, drop into zone, shoot the gaps in vs the run.  I think it helps that Bowles is head coach and obviously believes he will find a place for Lee. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Mehta referred to Lee as an "edge rushing presence" last night in a since-deleted tweet, so we can pretty safely ignore anything he says.

really?  He called Lee an "edge rusher"?  How did we get so fortunate to have this ignorant, know-nothing beat reporter?  

At least know who the 1st round class is Manish Doofus.

On 4/29/2016 at 10:11 AM, Larz said:

Listening to everything on the radio, glad we didn't get him

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Really? Long term character concerns here?  I am seriously asking...

On 4/29/2016 at 9:57 AM, Beerfish said:

We 'try' to do a fug of a lot.  How about we actually pull something off for once.

See the problem is to trade up or down you need a willing partner.. The only one's that can trade up or down without a problem are armchair Jet gm's.. :(

Well, he should've landed the trade. Tunsil would have been a great addition to this OL. Instead, they took a useless shrimp that will NOT help this defense at all. So by standing pat, he essentially f*cked up royally. He also did not select a TE, and TE was a huge NEED. As Westhoff has said so eloquently, a TE is what allows you to beat cover 2.

Yeah, this draft has serious questions all around and those questions have as much to do with what they did do as it does with what they didn't do. I can't give this draft any better than a C- at best. He selected players that are clearly not fit for this defense, he chose a QB with huge question marks, he completely ignored the TE spot.

So like I've already said unless they can add a lot more players through FA, this team is destined to have a top 10 in the 2017 draft. They'll be lucky to win 6 games.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Really? Long term character concerns here?  I am seriously asking...

going back to high school he is just a distraction/ scandal waiting to happen.  recruiting stuff, money stuff, drugs.  He made ole miss give his brother a full scholarship for instance

and now after getting his money I can completly see this guy getting fat and lazy, he is bust city to me

40 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, he should've landed the trade. Tunsil would have been a great addition to this OL. Instead, they took a useless shrimp that will NOT help this defense at all. So by standing pat, he essentially f*cked up royally. He also did not select a TE, and TE was a huge NEED. As Westhoff has said so eloquently, a TE is what allows you to beat cover 2.

Yeah, this draft has serious questions all around and those questions have as much to do with what they did do as it does with what they didn't do. I can't give this draft any better than a C- at best. He selected players that are clearly not fit for this defense, he chose a QB with huge question marks, he completely ignored the TE spot.

So like I've already said unless they can add a lot more players through FA, this team is destined to have a top 10 in the 2017 draft. They'll be lucky to win 6 games.

that useless shrimp has gotten 100% positive feedback from every source.  you are literally the only guy on planet earth butt hurt by the pick

I'm going with everybody else on this one, lol

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

It is rare to see a post that is completely wrong on so many points.  Congrats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/jets-tried-to-make-trade-with-giants-couldnt-get-it-done/

The Giants were happy to steal the Jets’ Snacks this offseason, but they didn’t want to go back for seconds.

The Jets admitted they were trying to trade upin last week’s draft to get to Ole Miss tackleLaremy Tunsil, but according to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, they failed to get a deal done with their co-tenants in MetLife Stadium.

The Jets offered the Giants their second-round pick to move up from 20th overall to the 10th spot.

The Giants hesitated, having already lost out on targets Jack Conklin and Leonard Floyd the two spots ahead of them. And they were afraid if they went back too far, they’d have missed on cornerback Eli Apple, who they took at No. 10.

If Tunsil had been off the board, the Dolphins might have gone with Apple at 13 given their need at cornerback. That would have left the Giants to pick from the next tier or corners, as the next one taken was Houston’s William Jackson, who went 24th to the Bengals.

There has been some cross-pollenation between the two franchises. This offseason, the Giants signed defensive tackle Damon “Snacks” Harrison in free agency. Others have worked for both franchises, from Don Maynard to Bill Parcells, but the two have never traded with each other.

There has also been the normal intramural squabbling between the two, going back to the design of their shared stadium, so perhaps it’s not a surprise they could get a deal done.

My take: The Giants are dumb and the Jets were willing to sacrifice drafting Hack for a LT. Interesting any way you slice it. I, for one, would have been okay with this trade for the Jets.

On 4/29/2016 at 8:30 AM, section314 said:

Wonder if New Orleans was target team? Maybe offered Mo, swap of picks, and maybe we get a 3-4? Saints took Rankin, right?

Been hearing it was the Giants.  Macc offered up 20th and 51st overall to take 10th overall.  Giants declined and took Eli Apple.  So silly, they probably would have gotten him at 20!

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

Been hearing it was the Giants.  Macc offered up 20th and 51st overall to take 10th overall.  Giants declined and took Eli Apple.  So silly, they probably would have gotten him at 20!

giants wanted their guy, jets wanted lee at 20 and didn't want to trade back.  it happens.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

giants wanted their guy, jets wanted lee at 20 and didn't want to trade back.  it happens.

Oh I'm still happy with it.  I think its silly of the Giants to have not taken the deal.  I'd be surprised if Apple wasn't going to be there.  But you are right, if they had any doubt, then stay where you are and take your guy.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

Oh I'm still happy with it.  I think its silly of the Giants to have not taken the deal.  I'd be surprised if Apple wasn't going to be there.  But you are right, if they had any doubt, then stay where you are and take your guy.

i understand not trading back, but taking apple at 10 was a reach.  of course there was no guarantee he'd be there at 20 anyway.

I'm glad we didn't draft him. Too many problems exposed at one time. But he handled it well on draft day, I thought. I know players have fallen based on rumors or revelations and other reasons but I don't recall things of this magnitude coming out just minutes before the draft. He's a kid and was teary eyed but overall he hung tough and it probably reflects well on him. He seems like the kind of player who on game day if things aren't going well could keep his composure. Plus he has top five ability. If he keeps his nose clean he should be a real good player but that's a big if.

Archived