**** OFFICIAL 2016 DRAFT: Round 2 + 3 discussion ****

Integrity28

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chirorob said:

Browns trading down again?  Crazy talk.  I bet they pick up a 2018 draft pick.  No joke, they have 2 1s, 2 2s and 2 3s next year, and an extra 2 in 2018.  Go down 4 spots, pick up a 2 or 3 in 2018.

I read that the Browns actually want to add ~4 more picks in this draft before it's done. They're on pace to make 15 picks!

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I read that the Browns actually want to add ~4 more picks in this draft before it's done. They're on pace to make 15 picks!

You look at what they are doing.  Instead of taking a question QB at 2, they have parlayed that into... however many picks over the next several seasons. 

If they even draft average, with that many picks, they could really improve that team in 2-3 years.

Just now, chirorob said:

You look at what they are doing.  Instead of taking a question QB at 2, they have parlayed that into... however many picks over the next several seasons. 

If they even draft average, with that many picks, they could really improve that team in 2-3 years.

Yup, it makes sense. 

Coming into this draft, my hope was that we could get first round value for Mo - meaning a 1st rounder or multiple 2nd rounders. Since that doesn't look like it'll happen, I'm hoping there's an opportunity for us to trade back to add 1-2 more picks this year.

Unless someone drops to us that is too good to believe... then run to the podium.

If possible, an O-Lineman in the 2nd.  Maybe another LB if the right player (for Macc/Bowles) is there.

Another QB prospect in the 3rd (Cook?  Stanford QB?) if possible, to replace either Fitz (if he refuses to resign reasonably) or Geno (If Fitz resigns).

IMHO, we are sitting pretty in the 2nd round - there will still be a lot of value at 51 and we can go OL, WR, pass rusher, CB or even TE or S if a really good player drops to us.  Assuming Cook is gone, I don't think we'd take a QB. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Shon Coleman from Auburn....an OT who can play guard too.

Just now, win4ever said:

I think the Jets will make a trade today, just not sure if it's up or down, lol.   I can see them moving up in the 3rd, if a QB drops.  

There's a lot of good talent available in the 2nd. I want them to hit big, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing them move back a bit in R2 in order to add pick(s) this year. This is a pretty deep draft from everything I've read. Starting caliber talent can be had all the way into R3 at some positions.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

There's a lot of good talent available in the 2nd. I want them to hit big, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing them move back a bit in R2 in order to add pick(s) this year. This is a pretty deep draft from everything I've read. Starting caliber talent can be had all the way into R3 at some positions.

Would you take Jaylon Smith in the 2nd?  3rd?  Where do you think he goes?

There is still a ton of talent left on the board, a couple surprising guys.  

18 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Would you take Jaylon Smith in the 2nd?  3rd?  Where do you think he goes?

There is still a ton of talent left on the board, a couple surprising guys.  

If Jaylon Smith is available when we pick in R2, then I'd try to trade back without leaving R2, and add a 4th or 5th in doing so. Then I'd consider him in R2. 

I wouldn't take Jaylon, unless I figured out a way to add an additional pick to use on another player and sort of cancel out the lost year from Jaylon. 

Draft insider Tony Pauline talking about who the Jets could be drafting tonight and a QB they like not named Cook or Hackenberg

Q: The Jets still have big needs at edge rusher and offensive line. Do you think those are positions they will target in Rounds 2 and 3?

A: I would expect the top pass rushers (Kamalei Correa of Boise State and Noah Spence of Eastern Kentucky) to come off the board quickly in Round 2. It may be a situation where they acquire a pass rusher in day three (Victor Ochi of Stony Brook, James Cowser of Southern Utah). There will be talent on the offensive side at their disposal today.

Q: Any names you think make the most sense for the Jets in Rounds 2 and 3?

A: They have had a lot of contact with Joseph Haeg of North Dakota State and Caleb Benenoch of UCLA this week (calls to players and agents). Both are versatile blockers that can play right tackle or guard and even some left tackle. Nick Vannett, a tight end from Ohio State, is another guy they like (scouted him hard at the Senior Bowl, brought him in for an official 30 visit), and if they take him in Round 3, he would immediately be the only complete tight end on the roster.

Q: General manager Mike Maccagnan has played it coy about quarterbacks. Do you think he takes another one, either Friday or Saturday? Christian Hackenberg's name has been mentioned quite a bit. Your thoughts on him maybe landing with the Jets?

A: I expect Hackenberg to be off the board by the 45th pick. Chicago, Miami, and Dallas have a lot of interest. One player the Jets like is Jeff Driskel of Louisiana Tech, who's a last-day pick with a big arm. But I don't know if he's any sort of upgrade over Bryce Petty.

I'd be cool with Ochi or Cowser in the day 3. Especially Ochi, as I've seen him play in person and the kid will be a steal for anybody who drafts him.

I just puked in my mouth at the thought of Jeff Driskel though

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If Jaylon Smith is available when we pick in R2, then I'd try to trade back without leaving R2, and add a 4th or 5th in doing so. Then I'd consider him in R2. 

I wouldn't take Jaylon, unless I figured out a way to add an additional pick to use on another player and sort of cancel out the lost year from Jaylon. 

Yeah, I keep going back and forth on him.  On one end, he's such a rare talent that I really don't want to miss out, but also have to deal with value.  I watched some tape of Lee, and I watched tapes of Smith, and he just jumps out so much more that I want to pair them up, but also feel like it's such a risk with his injury.  From personal experience, nerve damage in the legs recover the fastest in about 6 months, and one year is the "line in the sand" for recovery according to a couple of doctors I've talked to.  It's a bit concerning that they already ruled him out for all of next year.  After 6 months, the recovery is minute aspects, so it's hard to project how much he'll recover in the next two months.  

Assuming Jack is off the board, you have Spence, Jaylon Smith, Michael Thomas (Ohio State), and Spriggs (and assume no trade options are satisfactory), who would you pick?  

To me, Spence is the BPA.  But Thomas or Spriggs brings an upgrade to the offense, which needs help.  

Jaylon Smith has a damn peroneal nerve injury with foot drop; the odds of that fully recovers to the extent he can play in the NFL are certainly no better than 50:50 and may take at least a year if not longer. If what I'm reading is true, my opinion as a Doctor is that's a big risk to take.

45 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, I keep going back and forth on him.  On one end, he's such a rare talent that I really don't want to miss out, but also have to deal with value.  I watched some tape of Lee, and I watched tapes of Smith, and he just jumps out so much more that I want to pair them up, but also feel like it's such a risk with his injury.  From personal experience, nerve damage in the legs recover the fastest in about 6 months, and one year is the "line in the sand" for recovery according to a couple of doctors I've talked to.  It's a bit concerning that they already ruled him out for all of next year.  After 6 months, the recovery is minute aspects, so it's hard to project how much he'll recover in the next two months.  

Assuming Jack is off the board, you have Spence, Jaylon Smith, Michael Thomas (Ohio State), and Spriggs (and assume no trade options are satisfactory), who would you pick?  

To me, Spence is the BPA.  But Thomas or Spriggs brings an upgrade to the offense, which needs help.  

If these are the options available. I take Spence. 

Our defense would be ridiculous. However, I have to wonder if there's a TE, QB or CB that could be taken in that spot too.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If these are the options available. I take Spence. 

Our defense would be ridiculous. However, I have to wonder if there's a TE, QB or CB that could be taken in that spot too.

Yeah, I really want to help out the offense, but the best players dropping seem to be defensive guys.  I know Mackensie Alexander, the corner from Clemson dropped, but I don't know if I believe in him enough.   He fits in perfectly in terms of coverage scheme that we run, and can blanket WRs, but size might be a concern.   

Archived