Passing on Lynch

BowlesMovement

I am not going to lie, I wanted Lynch, and was really hoping they were going to take him there. After thinking about it, its not because I think he is going to be good, its because it would have meant they are thinking he is going to be good, and that would have been exciting. All I can assume is they are not high on him, and if that is the case, better to pass on him and go a safer route. For all we know they might have a deal in the works for Glennon, or they may like Hackenberg better, or even Cook. So while I am disappointed they passed on him, I still trust that they have a plan for the QB position that will be made clear by tomorrow at the latest. Keep in mind, the day a regime makes a high draft pick on a QB is the day the clock starts ticking on them. Its easy for us to say take a chance, but its not our livelihoods that are on the line. You very rarely get the opportunity to pick two QB's high in the draft.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

I am not going to lie, I wanted Lynch, and was really hoping they were going to take him there. After thinking about it, its not because I think he is going to be good, its because it would have meant they are thinking he is going to be good, and that would have been exciting. All I can assume is they are not high on him, and if that is the case, better to pass on him and go a safer route. For all we know they might have a deal in the works for Glennon, or they may like Hackenberg better, or even Cook. So while I am disappointed they passed on him, I still trust that they have a plan for the QB position that will be made clear by tomorrow at the latest. Keep in mind, the day a regime makes a high draft pick on a QB is the day the clock starts ticking on them. Its easy for us to say take a chance, but its not our livelihoods that are on the line. You very rarely get the opportunity to pick two QB's high in the draft.

This was the same exact sentiment I had. I was disappointed at first. I even felt like there were OTHER players on the board (not named Lynch) that may have been better selections. But I pretty much realized that Mac looked very closely at QBs leading up to the draft, particularly Lynch. He did his homework. He weighed the pros and cons and OBVIOUSLY did not believe he was worth the gamble. I'm fine with that. I'll be upset if Lynch turns out to be an absolute stud. But we probably won't even know for sure until 2-3 years from now. What I DO know for sure is that Lynch is a project with high upside. The Jets could very well draft a stud QB next year or the year after that. Someone that is LESS of a gamble. Who knows.    

Lynch was the smart pick with MUCH greater upside than our pick at a more important position and the biggest need this team has is at QB

he took a garbage college team and made them relevant -he is BIG , can throw and can run

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Pretty sure Macc and the scouts gave him a 3rd or 4th round grade so he would have been a huge reach for us if thats true.  One things for sure, I'd say every Jet fan will be watching Lynchs career and we'll know how good of a scouting department we have in a couple years!

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This was the same exact sentiment I had. I was disappointed at first. I even felt like there were OTHER players on the board (not named Lynch) that may have been better selections. But I pretty much realized that Mac looked very closely at QBs leading up to the draft, particularly Lynch. He did his homework. He weighed the pros and cons and OBVIOUSLY did not believe he was worth the gamble. I'm fine with that. I'll be upset if Lynch turns out to be an absolute stud. But we probably won't even know for sure until 2-3 years from now. What I DO know for sure is that Lynch is a project with high upside. The Jets could very well draft a stud QB next year or the year after that. Someone that is LESS of a gamble. Who knows.    

our pick is not game ready to come in and dominate-even our own coach said he needs to add weight and tackle better and is a back up for a year or two in so many words to a guy that frankly is not good

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

We simply don't know if that's true...We don't know the way these guys think yet.  How do they value QB? They may be Rex like and think they can win with sub-par QB play and a strong defense.  They certainly seem to be satisfied with Fitzpatrick - and that's a worry for me. 

4 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Pretty sure Macc and the scouts gave him a 3rd or 4th round grade so he would have been a huge reach for us if thats true.  One things for sure, I'd say every Jet fan will be watching Lynchs career and we'll know how good of a scouting department we have in a couple years!

Based on what?

9 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

and we can add him the list of qbs we should have never passed on

the jets have not had a franchise qb since I started going as a kid in 1975

Lynch was worth the risk-we are not winning anyways this year -sad but true

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

We simply don't know if that's true...We don't know the way these guys think yet.  How do they value QB? They may be Rex like and think they can win with sub-par QB play and a strong defense.  They certainly seem to be satisfied with Fitzpatrick - and that's a worry for me. 

Ehhh, they have shown interest in Glennon, they tried to trade up for Goff, there is no reason to think they believe they can win with a sub-par QB, none. And if they were so satisfied with Fitzpatrick, he would be signed by now.

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

Ehhh, they have shown interest in Glennon, they tried to trade up for Goff, there is no reason to think they believe they can win with a sub-par QB, none. And if they were so satisfied with Fitzpatrick, he would be signed by now.

We don't know how serious they were....They did a lot of looking around but never came close to doing anything.  They were never closely tied to anyone...That could very well be just noise, PR - BS.  

I'm not saying they think that way, but it is a worry.  It's not like there isn't recent history of this team thinking that way.

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

This. ^^^

The draft, and general construction, of the 2016 Jets is far from over.

Satisfied with Fitz?? They haven't signed him and he's threatening retirement. Hardly seems satisfied to me.

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

our pick is not game ready to come in and dominate-even our own coach said he needs to add weight and tackle better and is a back up for a year or two in so many words to a guy that frankly is not good

HA! Not true at all. I guarantee you Bowles can't wait to see how he can utilize Lee. I don't care what he said last night at the draft. He is an old school coach and Lee will have to EARN playing time. He DOES need to wrap up better and add strength. That doesn't mean he will be a 'backup for a year or two'. Just watch, Lee has good field awareness and there's no reason to think he will struggle in our defense. Not with OUR D-line. Bowles will use him THIS season plenty. And Lee will make an impact. You will probably see him mostly on passing downs, either falling back into coverage or coming in on a blitz. But I GUARANTEE YOU he will be used early and often this season. Especially with th elack of speed the Jets have at the LB position. Pryor and Lee will be absolute terrors for opposing offenses on that side of the field.     

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Please tell me where he said this?  I just watched the press conference from yesterday and Bowles was directly asked about the weight and said no, we don't want him to be 240, we drafted him at his weight for a reason.  He also said that he will play the Mo LB position, will start in Nickel and develop into a 3 down back.  He also said he will be lining up at OLB and other positions on the field.  This is all Bowles speak for "I'm going to use the sh*t out of this 21 yr old player and make him a pro bowler"

13 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Lynch was the smart pick with MUCH greater upside than our pick at a more important position and the biggest need this team has is at QB

he took a garbage college team and made them relevant -he is BIG , can throw and can run

The words "Lynch" and "smart" should not be used in the same sentence, let alone the same clause.

and your OPINION that he would have a "MUCH" greater upside is nothing more than speculation. Yet you announce it as though it's fact.  Please. Spare us from the didactic preaching.  

He seems to have a decent skillset.  Much like Petty.  But another guy who has to sit and learn?  Then in 2017 when another Lynch/Petty is available, grab him too?  Using 4, 5, 6... roster spots on developmental QBs we don't give a fair shot too anyway?

I would've been very disappointed with a Lynch pick mainly because we already have two young developing QBs and wasting a 1st on another would've been nuts.  

Now if we grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd I'll be psyched because I think that'd mean no Fitz and Geno starts.

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

Satisfied with Fitz?? They haven't signed him and he's threatening retirement. Hardly seems satisfied to me.

Not sure how many times we've heard Mac say that resigning Fitz is his top priority...They've looked at a lot of guys..spoke to many...but kept going back to the same story - it's all for show.  Fitz will be a Jet and always was going to be.

Mac knows it and Fitz knows it..

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Please tell me where he said this?  I just watched the press conference from yesterday and Bowles was directly asked about the weight and said no, we don't want him to be 240, we drafted him at his weight for a reason.  He also said that he will play the Mo LB position, will start in Nickel and develop into a 3 down back.  He also said he will be lining up at OLB and other positions on the field.  This is all Bowles speak for "I'm going to use the sh*t out of this 21 yr old player and make him a pro bowler"

^ What he said. Bowles is salivating like Rex used to salivate every time we took a D-lineman in the first round. 

19 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I completely agree. I am hoping that they liked Cook or Hackenberg better and address what is their most glaring need in the 2nd round tonight. The Jets brass has been so tight lipped on the QB situation despite all of the rumors, innuendo and speculation which hopefully means that they have a plan and will execute it. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not sure how many times we've heard Mac say that resigning Fitz is his top priority...They've looked at a lot of guys..spoke to many...but kept going back to the same story - it's all for show.  Fitz will be a Jet and always was going to be.

Mac knows it and Fitz knows it..

I'll believe it when I see it.  The only thing I think we can assuredly agree on is the scouting team did not feel Lynch is a franchise level QB, or else he would have been rated higher and picked at 20.  Only time will tell and admittedly it will hurt if he does become one for DEN. 

That's fine for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Unless it's a QB, the overall #20 pick needs to be an immediate starter and impact player.

If not, it's a totally wasted pick.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

Unless it's a QB, the overall #20 pick needs to be an immediate starter and impact player.

How many 1st rounders are immediate impact players?  If a rookie can contribute, and have some good snaps, that's good.  A top 5 player you hope can have an impact.

He will probably play, and be in the rotation, and should be full time year 2 after Harris and Henderson leave.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

all black or all white, eh? 

1st, I think he will start by mid season at the latest and probably right away. 2nd, it's not a start or "totally" wasted pick.  That's just bullsheet. And you know it.

10 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

What an enormous crock of sh*t.  Easley, Garropollo, Brown, Richards, Jamie Collins, McCourty, Dobson, Dowling (well yes he was a totally wasted pick), Vereen, Cunningham, Spikes, Chung, Merriweather....

All totally wasted picks under your premise.  None of them were immediate starters AND impact players. 

16 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Aaron Rodgers was a total waste of a pick. 

46 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Good post. 

It's hard, we fans want that excitement, that spark of hope that we're acquiring a difference maker at the most vital position on the field, our Manning, our Brady, our next Namath.

Given how weak our QB's have been for the vast majority of our existence, it only further stresses our...deficiency.  So much so that I think it causes us to over-react, and over-value any number of possible "answers".  And when we fail to get those answers, we're dissapointed.  we feel an opportunity may have been missed, and we (often) lament previous (hindsight) missed opportunities.

But we simply have to have faith, no matter how hard, that our Front Office and Coach know best for them, and have a plan.  When we reach the point where we don't trust in that, we should want them replaced.  Till then, faith is the only real option.

If they passed on Lynch, we have to presume they had good reasons, and a plan for the QB position for the future.  

4 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I was fine with passing on him.....but not gonna lie, it stung a bit more knowing that elway was cool with trading up for him.....legitimizes Lynch a bit more

It does.  had Lynch slid to the second and been picked by Cleveland, I won't lie, it's be comforting.  Elways knows his stuff, and that move made me waver in my feeling that Lynch was not a good choice for us.  But I still think he wasn't the right guy, too much time required to make him ready IMO in our system.  If Elways does better, well, good on him and good on Lynch.  I expect Lynch to sit 2 years behind Sanchez or someone else before he starts.  But who knows...

41 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Elway drafted Osweiler.  And then let him go.  I'm not saying Elway doesn't have a better eye for the position than most, but he's by no means fail proof just for the fact he was a QB.  Hell, Ron Jaworski is a former QB and supposed "draft analyst" and he raved up and down Kellen Clemens was the best QB of his draft.  Our scouting staff clearly did not feel Lynch was a franchise caliber QB.  Neither did CLE or BUF, who both are starved for a QB as well, nor NO who is going to need one in just a couple years (in a perfect spot to let him sit and be groomed).    We'll know in a few years, and it will hurt if he becomes a top 15 QB and we're still searching. 

Weird, I quoted @JOJOTOWNSELL but somehow BowlesMovement came up??

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Yeah, I read his post wrong.  Just figure Tx has something stupid to say. :)

even with the "unless it's a QB" qualification, his post is STILL stupid. Frankly, it's just not true. 

He has one purpose.. and it's not to discuss.. it's to incite and irritate.  

Osweiller was no big deal in college. But Lynch is a similar player in terms of size, etc. The contract he got was crazy, like he won the lottery considering his lack of experience or accomplishment. I have nothing against Lynch but glad we passed on him. I'll take Lee over him.

Archived