Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

The better analogy is ,your boss gives you 5 idiots to work with  and then you can't perfom because everyone around you is screwing up. You still show up to work eveyrday , on time but your work suffers - that's what Hackenberg had to deal with. 

I agree

• Thumb Down 1

Kid got dealt a pretty sh#tty hand the last 2 yrs...

Hopefully the line, coaching, program issues play a bigger part than not...

The odds are against him (and many of his own teams fans too)...

I trust Mac, Gailey because I want to (for now)...

CH has some great qualities, hopefully he pans out.

How great would that be?!

I'll remain optimistic.

Go Jets!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Yes, it does matter. In the NFL, he's not going to feel pressure within two seconds every play. His receivers will almost always make the correct reads. His footwork won't be changed weekly.

Actually he will see substantial pressure in the NFL and had 2 years of failing to beat the same in college. Moreover he will likely play in Gailey's offense which excels in the shotgun and spread scheme. The same scheme Hackenberg couldn't do in college. I understand your believing in him but I'm just saying you should temper your expectations.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

David Carr. 117 times sacked from 2004-2005. 

and david carr was pretty damn good in college. the texans were complete idiots for what they did to him. just goes to show you can't be good with absolute sh*t protection. look at brady......he doesn't look so good anymore when he starts getting sacked and hit a lot in a game

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The better analogy is ,your boss gives you 5 idiots to work with  and then you can't perfom because everyone around you is screwing up. You still show up to work eveyrday , on time but your work suffers - that's what Hackenberg had to deal with. 

100%. your boss asks you to build a house and then gives you 5 guys who don't know how to read a tape measure

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, elgoman said:

Actually he will see substantial pressure in the NFL and had 2 years of failing to beat the same in college. Moreover he will likely play in Gailey's offense which excels in the shotgun and spread scheme. The same scheme Hackenberg couldn't do in college. I understand your believing in him but I'm just saying you should temper your expectations.

Yes he will... but, not every play and not as bad as his o-line was.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, elgoman said:

If you think he'll see even close to that amount of pressure, you're delusional.

• Upvote 2

Hackenberg wasn't pressured on "every" play. PFF explains this much in their analysis.

Watch tape... don't read stats... PFF doesn't tell the whole story... don't be lazy ... watch the kids tape.

• Thumb Down 1

On April 30, 2016 at 8:03 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

GMs fall in love with prospects all the time. It could be his undoing, no matter how good you think he is. And being a cut above other GMs in Jets history is like winning a participation ribbon at a three legged race event for the blind. 

You were OWNED....you are embarrassing yourself.....move on to another topic maybe you will get lucky and be right there

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Hackenberg wasn't pressured on "every" play. PFF explains this much in their analysis.

Taking purposeful exaggerations and trying to argue against them by implying the exaggerations were meant to be literal. Nice.

Of course not every bad throw was the OL fault. Just substantially more than any QB I've ever seen at any level.

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So now you want to equate James Franklin's offensive scheme with that of Chan Gailey. Go find some Vanderbilt fans and ask them about Franklin, now add in a program stripped to the core by defections after the Sandusky/Paterno and you can't compare anything about the current PSU squad to any pro team. 

Franklin elevated the Vanderbilt program and Jordan Rodgers, a fringe NFL talent, performed better in Franklin's system than in his last coach's. This implies Franklin's system is fine.

Franklin elevated the Vanderbilt program and Jordan Rodgers, a fringe NFL talent, performed better in Franklin's system than in his last coach's. This implies Franklin's system is fine.

That damn EP system. Brady and Manning are clueless!

That damn EP system. Brady and Manning are clueless!

5 minutes ago, elgoman said:

Franklin elevated the Vanderbilt program and Jordon Rodgers performed well in Franklin's system.

Vanderbilt had the most predictable offense easily of any SEC team . Franklin reminded me of Rex who would run his scheme regardless of the talent on his team or the what the opposition did. It had the feel of arrogance of this is what I do - now I dare you to beat it.  Sure there were still some decent players that came thru the program - I think you meant Jordan Matthews but that was in spite of Franklin's system not due to it. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2016 at 0:55 AM, Irish Jet said:

While Hack may have played in pro-systems and have pro-attributes he is anything but "pro ready".

This guy needs time. I'll bet he doesn't play a down this season. 

I said more pro ready than Lynch who half the board wanted at 20. He does have stuff to work on and I doubt he sees the Field this year too. 

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Vanderbilt had the most predictable offense easily of any SEC team . Franklin reminded me of Rex who would run his scheme regardless of the talent on his team or the what the opposition did. It had the feel of arrogance of this is what I do - now I dare you to beat it.  Sure there were still some decent players that came thru the program - I think you meant Jordan Matthews but that was in spite of Franklin's system not due to it. 

Jordan Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers' brother, put up 8.2 AY/A in Franklin's system. That's higher than Hackenberg ever put up, even in Hackenberg's first year. We'll see next year how well McSorley, Hackenberg's successor, plays. However in the short backup time I saw McSorley, he was way more productive than Hackenberg. The Penn State receivers magically started catching.

11 minutes ago, elgoman said:

I'm not quite sure what you are alluding to here.  Jordan Rodgers played 2 seasons at Vandy, both with Franklin, so I'm not sure how you use him to compare systems.  Second, his best season was a sub 60% TD rate, with 15TD and 5 INT.  This is with Jordan Mathews as his No. 1 WR, Chris Boyd as his No 2 (He would have been a 3rd round type talent, but he was caught in a rape case), and Zac Stacy as a running back.  None of them recruited by Franklin btw.  

If you go by systems, Austin Carta-Samuels who played for Franklin and then played the year after, he marginally improved after Franklin left.  

Franklin has one of the worst offensive systems I've seen, it's worse than Rex.  

8 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Hackenberg is not our franchise QB. Making statements like that is pure idiocy. Nobody knows. He might end up being the one but declaring him the savior is as stupid as Pats fans thinking Brady didn't ask to deflate the balls. 

Obviously just an educated guess. Has a higher chance than any QB we've had for a long time.

• Upvote 2

I know it's hard to believe. You look at the stats and see the low completion percentage and overthrows.  You see a guy with bad footwork. How could he possibly be even a decent QB?

Stats don't always tell the full story. If you actually break down the game film, you'll see that he's really not that inaccurate. Most of his incompletions are due to pass rush, drops, and batted down balls. His footwork? After O'Brien left, the coaches kept making him switch his stance, making it awkward for him.

This is a kid that ran a pro-style Erhardt Perkins offense as a freshman. He makes the right reads, his audibles are immaculate, and he's very intelligent. Don't blame him for poor line play, and wide receivers that make the wrong choices on choice routes.

When you look at his plays, don't look at the yards gained. Those don't tell you anything. Look at the reads, the audibles, the progressions. If you do, you'll see that he's the most pro-ready QB in this entire draft. And our franchise quarterback.

Well, thats a relief. When will we win our SB Championship? So glad one if us knows all this stuff...

2 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Obviously just an educated guess. Has a higher chance than any QB we've had for a long time.

Hi PCP. This I can agree you with. But the thread title is pretty bad imho. I hope you are right and we have our franchise QB. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I know it's hard to believe. You look at the stats and see the low completion percentage and overthrows.  You see a guy with bad footwork. How could he possibly be even a decent QB?

Stats don't always tell the full story. If you actually break down the game film, you'll see that he's really not that inaccurate. Most of his incompletions are due to pass rush, drops, and batted down balls. His footwork? After O'Brien left, the coaches kept making him switch his stance, making it awkward for him.

This is a kid that ran a pro-style Erhardt Perkins offense as a freshman. He makes the right reads, his audibles are immaculate, and he's very intelligent. Don't blame him for poor line play, and wide receivers that make the wrong choices on choice routes.

When you look at his plays, don't look at the yards gained. Those don't tell you anything. Look at the reads, the audibles, the progressions. If you do, you'll see that he's the most pro-ready QB in this entire draft. And our franchise quarterback.

Kool-Aid-Oh-Yeah.jpg

There are days, as a Jets Fan, where I feel like I've living in a pure fantasy land, utterly detached from reality.

This is one of those moments.  Ignore everything and look at "tape" as if we were Pro scouts, i.e. an excuse to loudly procliam the most positive optimistic interpretation possible, ignore all the stats and production because they mean nothing.  

Clearly, he just needs.....wait for it, because we all know it's coming........a "fair chance".

Disagree in even the slightest form, and the already fervent masses will negrep you through the floor.  A year from now, half of those same fervent will try and tell us how they doubted Hack from the get go.  

Never change Jets Fans, never change.  Today Hack is beloved Christ.  Tomorrow the loathed Goat.   Rinse, repeat.