With Hackenberg on Board, Will Fitz Return Doom Geno?

JetNation

Geno Smith

By Glenn Naughton

Immediately after selecting Penn State Quarterback Christian Hackenberg in the second round of the NFL draft, insider Ian Rapoport addressed the current status of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and it appears the Jets are still making an effort to re-sign Fitzpatrick, but it’s entirely possible that their contract offer may go from two seasons to just a one-year deal.

Should Fitzpatrick return, it would make for a crowded quarterback depth chart with Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Hackenberg and last season’s fourth-round pick, Bryce Petty rounding out the group.  Smith, of course, would be the lone signal caller who was not brought in by the current regime.

Come opening day, it’s unlikely the Jets will carry four quarterbacks, and as most coaches and General Managers lean toward keeping “their guys”, it  may be that Geno Smith has played his final game as a New York Jet.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
5oezhVHft1s

Click here to read the full story...

I stick by my prediction, Fitz is out. Geno has the job by default with Bryce and Hack given every opportunity to take the job. Unlike Lynch Hack has the mental smarts to start right away if he earns it. But he has to earn it. We have 3 young QB's that all have potential. I think the plan is to let them battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I stick by my prediction, Fitz is out. Geno has the job by default with Bryce and Hack given every opportunity to take the job. Unlike Lynch Hack has the mental smarts to start right away if he earns it. But he has to earn it. We have 3 young QB's that all have potential. I think the plan is to let them battle.

Interesting. I would think they would rather have Fitz be the guy this season and help show the two younger guys the right way to be a professional. Say what you want about his play on the field but I have not heard very much about his preparation and leadership being in question. Geno on the other hand was handed the starting job and lost the team to the degree of getting his jaw broken and barely a word of support was spoken outside of BM. 

Significantly different clubhouses with just that choice. I would think Macc would prefer to groom his two young guys with an actual pro over whatever Geno is. 

34 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Could be but I think Geno or Petty will be cut should Fitz comes back. If I had to pick one Geno is a goner. Hack or Petty would get picked up off the practice squad. Just my opinion

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. I would think they would rather have Fitz be the guy this season and help show the two younger guys the right way to be a professional. Say what you want about his play on the field but I have not heard very much about his preparation and leadership being in question. Geno on the other hand was handed the starting job and lost the team to the degree of getting his jaw broken and barely a word of support was spoken outside of BM. 

Significantly different clubhouses with just that choice. I would think Macc would prefer to groom his two young guys with an actual pro over whatever Geno is. 

Bingo!!! The youngsters can at least learn a little bit about preparation/execution in a pro offense rather than a "blind leading the blind" scenario.

No, we have two young QBs and a guy they can't wait to get rid of.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Funny that the Jets are "comfortable" with Geno starting, but drafted a QB in round 2 and STILL want Fitz to come back.  

The thing that the Jets are most comfortable with is not overpaying for average talent. That sums up the Fitzpatrick negotiations so far. Fitz is a better bet than Geno next year but the margin isn't wide enough to give Fitz 10 million plus.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Bingo!!! The youngsters can at least learn a little bit about preparation/execution in a pro offense rather than a "blind leading the blind" scenario.

Add to that our QB coach was a TE coach I'm pretty sure. One of the only coaching hires that confused me. 

It would be much more beneficial to have Fitz in the room for a year or so I think. 

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

The thing that the Jets are most comfortable with is not overpaying for average talent. That sums up the Fitzpatrick negotiations so far. Fitz is a better bet than Geno next year but the margin isn't wide enough to give Fitz 10 million plus.

Yeah I think Macc was counting on losing Wilkerson's 15 mil from the ledger. 

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah I think Macc was counting on losing Wilkerson's 15 mil from the ledger. 

I think they are now of the mindset that the best offense is a shut down defense.

Lock up Mo long term, bring down his cap # and let's go. :)

Archived