Welcome to the Jets Jordan Jenkins

Maxman

61.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true77. Jordan Jenkins, LB, Georgia, 6-2 5/8, 259 (4.80)

His work against Vandy alone this past season was intriguing -- 11 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and two sacks -- but overall his play shows an understanding of the scheme he plays in. He's tough, smart and will play right away.

Seems like s solid pick. We are used to having one of the older and slower LB groups out there. The Jets just added two young and fast guys to Mauldin and the other guy (I can't remember his name) that came on late last season as well. 

We now have a middle aged stalwart in Harris to go with a young group of high character, hard working young bucks.  I at least see the plan here. 

Decent pick, but Kendall Fuller was still on the board. That would have been a great pick. He was a 2nd round CB and we need a guy to put across from Revis and keep Skrine in the slot. I do like this guy, but Lee should be playing OLB to begin with. I'm not even going to go into our second round pick. Really unhappy with the way Maccagnan has managed the draft so far.

STRENGTHS: Jenkins, who proudly wears the captain "C" on his jersey, stood up on both sides of the line of scrimmage in the Bulldogs' versatile 3-4 scheme, often putting his hand on the ground as a defensive end in four-man fronts. He is heavy-handed to extend and the point of attack and set a hard edge, seeing through blockers to track the ball and make plays.

Has flexible joints and lateral quickness to cross the face of the tackle, penetrating the backfield vs. the run to make stops. Perhaps most impressive about Jenkins' game given his 'tweener frame is his strength at the point of attack. For a player with his size, Jenkins shows good power to lock-out and create a pile, as well as the balance to string plays out wide.

WEAKNESSES: 'Tweener frame and not a twitchy rusher. Has been a productive pass rusher over his career, but he doesn't possess elite agility and closing speed. Questions about scheme fit; played in a two- and three-point stance at Georgia, but does he lack the strength to star at end in a 4-3 or the coverage skills as a linebacker in a 3-4?

IN OUR VIEW: A hybrid edge rusher, Jenkins played in both a two- and three-point stance in Georgia's base 3-4 scheme and was listed as a linebacker at the Senior Bowl.

He is an athletic mover who can get upfield quickly with burst, using his heavy hands to extend and beat up blockers with his limbs. Jenkins is best attacking the pocket, but at linebacker, his change of direction skills and awareness will be challenged in space.

4 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Decent pick, but Kendall Fuller was still on the board. That would have been a great pick. He was a 2nd round CB and we need a guy to put across from Revis and keep Skrine in the slot. I do like this guy, but Lee should be playing OLB to begin with. I'm not even going to go into our second round pick. Really unhappy with the way Maccagnan has managed the draft so far.

Lee is a 3-4 ILB not OLB, only OLB in the 4-3

18 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Lee is a 3-4 ILB not OLB, only OLB in the 4-3

If he put on 10 lbs he'd do well at OLB. Mauldin weighs 243, Lee weighs 232 that's an 11 lb difference. Why spend a 1st round pick on a guy who you're gonna have at 3rd string ILB? He's an outstanding athlete and is capable of playing OLB and ILB in a 3-4. He ran a 4.47. He could probably play safety.

Just now, NYJetsVets91 said:

If he put on 10 lbs he'd do well at OLB. Mauldin weighs 243, Lee weighs 232 that's an 11 lb difference. Why spend a 1st round pick on a guy who you're gonna have at 3rd string ILB? He's an outstanding athlete and is capable of playing OLB and ILB in a 3-4. He ran a 4.47. He could probably play safety.

He will beat out Erin Henderson for starting job. They will also use him in certain blitzing schemes.

3 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

If he put on 10 lbs he'd do well at OLB. Mauldin weighs 243, Lee weighs 232 that's an 11 lb difference. Why spend a 1st round pick on a guy who you're gonna have at backup ILB? He's an outstanding athlete and is capable of playing OLB and ILB in a 3-4. He ran a 4.47. He could probably play safety.

They don't start rookies, even Leonard Williams was worked in slowly. They didn't draft Darron Lee to be Erin Henderson's backup, he's just going to start there because he's a rookie.

Holy moly, how do some of you not understand this?

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

They don't start rookies, even Leonard Williams was worked in slowly. They didn't draft Darron Lee to be Erin Henderson's backup, he's just going to start there because he's a rookie.

Holy moly, how do some of you not understand this?

I completely understand it - but until he puts on 10-20lbs he's not gunna be an every down pass rusher which some people assume he will be off the bat - im explaining what he will be as a rookie

1 minute ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

I completely understand it - but until he puts on 10-20lbs he's not gunna be an every down pass rusher which some people assume he will be off the bat - im explaining what he will be as a rookie

Yea, they don't want him to gain 20 pounds. 

I recall an article I think was in the Daily News about Mac going to Georgia's Pro Day to check out Floyd and the article kept mentioning how impressive Jordan was.   Not surprising that he pick him at all.  He will be a good fit for our defense. 

1 hour ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

We have MacDougle and Milner (don't laugh; he could surprise us all) to compete for that position along with Marcus Williams.

1 hour ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

He is not a pass rusher in that sense. He is more a blitzer and he can do that from both inside and outside.  He is truly an all around, sideline to sideline player. 

3 hours ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Like i said they drafted him to be, at least for now, an ILB - I wasn't making it up 

honestly dont know how this ended up on this specic topic LOL

Jenkins is Calvin Pace jnr. Edge setter good football IQ, not flashy very solid like the pick.

Lee is the new NFL coverbacker/Hybrid. He won't play conventional LB, he will spend all his time covering backs, TE's and slot guys. He will occasionally Blitz.

1 hour ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Like i said they drafted him to be, at least for now, an ILB - I wasn't making it up 

honestly dont know how this ended up on this specic topic LOL

I know they drafted him to be an ILB, I watched the post draft press conference. I just don't agree with it.

Ah okay - misunderstanding on my part - I do think in time they will utilize him in different roles on the defense, the man just needs to put on 10-20lbs of muscle. You know who was undersized and they had similar things to say about him like they saying about darron lee? Ray Lewis - and we all see how that turned out. How many offensive lineman did he really have to go up against in his career? not many. I think with his speed he will be utilized on passing downs... and eventually become an every down LB. So much potential. I'm very happy with the pick 

3 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Ah okay - misunderstanding on my part - I do think in time they will utilize him in different roles on the defense, the man just needs to put on 10-20lbs of muscle. You know who was undersized and they had similar things to say about him like they saying about darron lee? Ray Lewis - and we all see how that turned out. How many offensive lineman did he really have to go up against in his career? not many. I think with his speed he will be utilized on passing downs... and eventually become an every down LB. So much potential. I'm very happy with the pick 

Yeah I remember Bowles saying that he would play outside a bit, and eventually be a 3 down back. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the pick I had us taking him in a mock I did like 3 months ago. I think he'll be a play maker for us whether he's playing ILB or OLB.

Archived