Great Draft: The future is Now

Cyberjet

Can't say enough about the Jets management. There is cohesion of vision and discipline. The Jets in 3 rounds have drafted their future LBs and their QB. Yes Hackenberg is their future but more importantly he will make Petty a better QB. Let's hope Fitz sees and embraces the vision and becomes their mentor. Very happy with the Jets. 

5 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

If Hackenberg is the future why is it more important that he make Petty a better QB?

Because the draft is a roll of the dice. Petty appears to be a viable plan B. At worse if he shows signs of NFL potential he becomes a (and I hate putting it this way) valuable commodity.

Arguably, Mac addressed our three biggest needs with his first three picks, and arguably each is a BPA high floor high ceiling pick as well.  

Mac so far has been a man of his word.  He's mentioned in the past that he believes that OL picks should come in the later rounds of the draft.  I like that he is consistent.

He's a career scout, he likes Hack, the 18yo 5 star recruit who mastered a pro style offense, that's good enough for me.

If D. Smith comes into his own this year then Mac will be hailed as a genius for sure.

(side note on their 40's: Lee 4.4, Hack 4.7, Jenkins 4.65)

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Arguably, Mac addressed our three biggest needs with his first three picks, and arguably each was a BPA high floor high ceiling pick as well.  

Mac so far has been a man of his word.  He's mentioned in the past that he believes that OL picks should come in the later rounds of the draft.  I like that he is consistent.

He's a career scout, he likes Hack, the 18yo 5 star recruit who mastered a pro style offense, that's good enough for me.     

If my memory is correct both Boles and Mac stated the Jets need to get younger and faster. With 6 draft picks not every need can be fully addressed without a lot of luck. Jets have a young D line and young safeties now some young Lb's, Cornerback needs addressing. At QB 3 young prospects to fight it out. Recievers and O-line need to be at some point focused on. I would be very happy with this draft if a quality Punter ca be found in this draft.

39 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

If Hackenberg is the future why is it more important that he make Petty a better QB?

Why does one have to suck for the other to be great. My outlook: Mac filled the room with QBs, may the best man lead us to the SB.

Draft a QB every year until you find one.

1 hour ago, Mo Lew said:

I think it's about creating competition. Rather than putting all of their eggs in one basket  (ie - a QB selected in the first round), they bring in guys who need a little work, but have lots of potential. 

Petty and Hackenberg both have the physical attributes of an NFL starting QB. Letting them both develop and compete increases the chances of us finding a competent starter.

A healthy and fair competition should bring out the best in all participants. Hackenberg and Petty should push each other to be the best they can be and in the end, hopefully a franchise QB emerges.  I intentionally didn't mention Geno because he is a hot pile of garbage that inspires no one.  Hopefully his days here are numbered.

Hackenberg should not see the field for at least 2 years. We need to sign Fitz to 2 year contract with an out option year 2, dump Geno and let this kid sit,learn and regain his confidence. He is already shellshocked from taking sacks in college, can you imagine how we will be with JJ watt bearing down on him. I applaud Mac for sticking with his guy, but I am just bitter because I wanted Lynch. Hack needs Fitz as a mentor, not Geno or Petty, it's always good to have a veteran for these young QB's

1 hour ago, Mo Lew said:

I think these guys answered this question better than I could. It is about the culture the competitive environment. I really feel if the Jets can get Fitzpatrick they will have the ideal environment for Petty and Hackenberg to develop. In my opinion Hackenberg will prevail but Petty can develop into a strong candidate also. Love the LBs they drafted. Barring injury and with Maudlin and the vets this is going to be great.

9 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

A healthy and fair competition should bring out the best in all participants. Hackenberg and Petty should push each other to be the best they can be and in the end, hopefully a franchise QB emerges.  I intentionally didn't mention Geno because he is a hot pile of garbage that inspires no one.  Hopefully his days here are numbered.

That's just a flat out lie! Geno inspires people....to punch him in the face. 

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Arguably, Mac addressed our three biggest needs with his first three picks, and arguably each is a BPA high floor high ceiling pick as well.  

If D. Smith comes into his own this year then Mac will be hailed as a genius for sure.

Mack loves drafting super young too I've noticed.  Almost all of his picks are like 20yr olds turning 21 in their rookie season.  

Good observation. He drafts hungry character football players who have the potential to mature emotionally and physically. You actually can see their philosophy based on who and what type of player they draft. Bowles and Mac make a great tandem - at the very least there is chemistry between the two.

3 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Hackenberg should not see the field for at least 2 years. We need to sign Fitz to 2 year contract with an out option year 2, dump Geno and let this kid sit,learn and regain his confidence. He is already shellshocked from taking sacks in college, can you imagine how we will be with JJ watt bearing down on him. I applaud Mac for sticking with his guy, but I am just bitter because I wanted Lynch. Hack needs Fitz as a mentor, not Geno or Petty, it's always good to have a veteran for these young QB's

So we need the weak armed journeyman scrub who said he'd rather retire than play for $8-9 million to be a mentor? Enough with the fitz nonsense

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

So we need the weak armed journeyman scrub who said he'd rather retire than play for $8-9 million to be a mentor? Enough with the fitz nonsense

Time to move on from Fitz. Let the tough D win the games and pray that Geno does not have to win too many

-I still hope Fitz returns. Of the 4 QBs, Fitz is the only one that makes us a legit playoff team in 2016-17

-I think petty is closer to being a pro than hackenberg

-hackenberg combine misses were freakin awful. 

-I like that Mac has created a legitimate competition for the QB1 job. Both petty and  hackenberg will be working hard. Their spots on the  depth chart will be earned. 

Factoring in where Hackenberg was selected, his exceptional start to his college career in a pro style offense, then change of coaches and school scandal along with a terrible O line and receivers, you can see why he was not as productive as he was early at Penn State. Credit to Mac for making this tough pick that knew would be highly criticized. Could have taken the easy way out. He knew he liked the QB and didn't risk losing him. Pound for pound, factoring in all the variables, Hackenberg has the potential to be our greatest pick ever.   

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Factoring in where Hackenberg was selected, his exceptional start to his college career in a pro style offense, then change of coaches and school scandal along with a terrible O line and receivers, you can see why he was not as productive as he was early at Penn State. Credit to Mac for making this tough pick that knew would be highly criticized. Could have taken the easy way out. He knew he liked the QB and didn't risk losing him. Pound for pound, factoring in all the variables, Hackenberg has the potential to be our greatest pick ever.   

Hi Cop... good to see you posting here.  But your post will likely get crucified by the know-it-alls who insist that they know Lynch is the superior choice they are done, I'm sure any Cook protagonists, if any, will chime in.  

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Why does one have to suck for the other to be great. My outlook: Mac filled the room with QBs, may the best man lead us to the SB.

Draft a QB every year until you find one.

This is exactly what I believe is the plan for the next year or two when we let them battle it out and see what we got.

The plan for this season is however, not so clear. I don't want either as backups.

25 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Time to move on from Fitz. Let the tough D win the games and pray that Geno does not have to win too many

So Geno is the starter?   We still need a viable backup (especially considering Geno isn't a viable starter).  Petty?  Hoyer?

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Did he really say that about olineman being late round picks?

Interesting

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Hi Cop... good to see you posting here.  But your post will likely get crucified by the know-it-alls who insist that they know Lynch is the superior choice they are done, I'm sure any Cook protagonists, if any, will chime in.  

Good to see you as well.  I think with every pick  there is a certain element of shock. But once the dust settles and you read into the pros and cons, it seems the Hackenberg pick is not as bad as assumed.  Many publications had us talking him in  the second round.  Factor after his freshman year he was projected to be the next great quarterback you can see why he's production so drastically dropped with national school scandal, horrendous offense of line, and poor receivers. Again, on paper, there is so much potential for him to turn it around. How can you not be hopeful and excited? 

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL, what do you want people to do? Lie just so they agree.

It's all opinions at this point. Hackenberg has a sh*t load he needs to overcome but I hope he does it. I think we need to make the situation perfect for him in the next season or so, which means Fitz over Geno for sure, something which is going to happen IMO.

I guarantee you that when Hackenberg eventually does play I'll be one of the guys defending him early on. Hopefully he's good enough that I'll be in the majority.

32 minutes ago, cant wait said:

34 minutes ago, cant wait said:

You don't think Hack would benefit learning under Fitz for a year ? Have you seen our schedule especially the first 7 games. You want Geno starting next year ? I don't. Hack needs at least 2 years to sit and learn. I don't want Fitz any longer than a year but I  definitely  don't want to see Geno touch the field next year. 

5 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Can't say enough about the Jets management. There is cohesion of vision and discipline. The Jets in 3 rounds have drafted their future LBs and their QB. Yes Hackenberg is their future but more importantly he will make Petty a better QB. Let's hope Fitz sees and embraces the vision and becomes their mentor. Very happy with the Jets. 

Homer much?

Archived