Start Hackenberg - Geno \ Petty fight for the # 2

Maxman

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

It's also possible that there isn't much benefit, and will only delay some needed on-field lumps. There are QBs with whom that's a good thing (Peyton) and some that maybe isn't (Sanchez, Geno). But there's no provable way of saying that a QB was ruined (let alone permanently ruined) by starting him too early. Not unless he suffers a career-altering injury, I guess.

And no I have not seen him play other than a bunch of clips (both good and bad). Like I just said to 'fish, it's my understanding that will not improve my opinion of the pick.

I think Carr is a pretty good example, maybe not definitive but he was actually regressing and you could see his poise just disintegrating with every hit. I suppose it may have been who he was playing early with as much as it was him playing early. I would like to see what the statistics are. I'd genuinely expect significant improvement, especially beyond the elite prospects, for those who sit a year. I don't see how you couldn't improve at least a little but obviously some will more than others. 

I said this in another thread. If for no other reason - Hackenberg just needs a year without getting hit - He's been brutalized in college football and I think it's had a serious effect on him physically and mentally. I think he actually deserves the break.

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

I think Carr is a pretty good example, maybe not definitive but he was actually regressing and you could see his poise just disintegrating with every hit. I suppose it may have been who he was playing early with as much as it was him playing early. I would like to see what the statistics are. I'd genuinely expect significant improvement, especially beyond the elite prospects, for those who sit a year. I don't see how you couldn't improve at least a little but obviously some will more than others. 

I said this in another thread. If for no other reason - Hackenberg just needs a year without getting hit - He's been brutalized in college football and I think it's had a serious effect on him physically and mentally. I think he actually deserves the break.

Sorry, David Carr was not ruined specifically because they started him as a rookie. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Start Hack???????????????????

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will Jets fans ever learn!!!!

We started an inexperienced Sanchez when everyone in the ENTIRE NFL including his own College HC said he wasn't ready. He had one year of college experience recall.

We put Geno Smith in from a Spread Offense when he wasn't ready yet and now act as if it was surprising when he failed...

Now a QB with ability who clearly needs significant fundamental work is being clamored to start!!!

What a joke!!

Indeed some of the same folks out here who are now calling for Hack to start are some of the very same people who will be cursing Hack when he inevitably fails due to being rushed, saying "stop the excuses, Hack stinks", he had a great Dee, great Wrs, good OL, running game, good OC, he was babied by the simplistic game plans and that the Jets organization doesn't know what they are doing, 51 years and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blah...Blah....blah

Start Hack?

Really!!!!!

Ugggg and Good Grief !!!!!

Ban.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Let's go. Start Hackenberg. Keep the game plan simple. Stress that he just has to avoid turnovers. Let him learn on the job.

Geno and Petty fight it out for the # 2 spot.

The only way you bring Fitzpatrick back is if he takes under 5 million per year. No need to overpay the future is here.

Let's make the future now.

Trolling your own site for clicks. Shameless 

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Let's go. Start Hackenberg. Keep the game plan simple. Stress that he just has to avoid turnovers. Let him learn on the job.

The only way you bring Fitzpatrick back is if he takes under 5 million per year. No need to overpay the future is here.

So I guess you're ready for the Jets to go 2-14, right? In a QB driven league, you want to throw a young prospect to the wolves with no regard for proper development? No tutelage from an experienced vet like Fitz? Are QB's disposable in your mind? The only QB that's being developed properly in that bunch would be Bryce Petty.

"Hack is going to be a great NFL quarterback," Breneman said. "He's going to be really good.

"There was not a better ... for all of the (stuff) that Penn State went through, and all the (stuff) that Hack went through and we went through, there was not anyone that fought for Penn State or fought for our team harder than Hack did."

Breneman praised Hackenberg's intelligence and leadership, saying that, when the signal caller spoke, the entire team listened.

"There was no one that commanded the team and the huddle like Hack could," Breneman said.

"I see some stuff where people criticize his leadership, but there is no one that did more. Think about where Penn State would be if he didn't go there."

And that is why Breneman believes the team that takes Hackenberg will not regret it.

"They don't pay me the big bucks to make the call, but I think he will (be a first-round pick)," he said. "He will probably sit behind someone for a year or two, but when he gets his shot he is going to be really good."

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2016/04/former_penn_state_tight_end_ad.html

32 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If anything, I'm giving a huge "Yeah!" to Robinson.  What a leap/catch to snag that over-thrown ball.

It wasn't over thrown, the ball was just out of reach of the defender where only the receiver can make the catch. It was a nice catch!

2 hours ago, slats said:

Ugh, let's not destroy another young QB. I really don't care if Geno starts this season. Hackenberg, by all accounts, needs to have his confidence restored. Let's give him plenty of time to do that. 

But yes, absolutely no reason to overpay Fitz. 

What would be more of a boost to a young QB's confidence than winning the Super Bowl in his first year with the Jets. Think about it.

I will hang up now and listen to your response offline.

46 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If anything, I'm giving a huge "Yeah!" to Robinson.  What a leap/catch to snag that over-thrown ball.

Why do get the feeling the same dopey jet fans that laughed at me when I said Allen Robinson was better than Marquis Lee on JI are now the same clowns saying Hackenburg is the worst pick ever?

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Start Hack???????????????????

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will Jets fans ever learn!!!!

We started an inexperienced Sanchez when everyone in the ENTIRE NFL including his own College HC said he wasn't ready. He had one year of college experience recall.

We put Geno Smith in from a Spread Offense when he wasn't ready yet and now act as if it was surprising when he failed...

Now a QB with ability who clearly needs significant fundamental work is being clamored to start!!!

What a joke!!

Indeed some of the same folks out here who are now calling for Hack to start are some of the very same people who will be cursing Hack when he inevitably fails due to being rushed, saying "stop the excuses, Hack stinks", he had a great Dee, great Wrs, good OL, running game, good OC, he was babied by the simplistic game plans and that the Jets organization doesn't know what they are doing, 51 years and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blah...Blah....blah

Start Hack?

Really!!!!!

Ugggg and Good Grief !!!!!

It's almost like fans need a QB to curse out.

Why try this again when Hack has clear red flags that needs work? Because it worked out so well for Sanchez and Geno? 

I feel like we are all agreeing with my premise here. Save the money by not signing Fitz. That also shows other players not to mess with Mac Daddy in negotiations. Sign Mo long term, let's build the top defense in football.  And Hack can be a game manager as he grows. 

Let's go.

Just now, Maxman said:

I feel like we are all agreeing with my premise here. Save the money by not signing Fitz. That also shows other players not to mess with Mac Daddy in negotiations. Sign Mo long term, let's build the top defense in football.  And Hack can be a game manager as he grows. 

Let's go.

from your lips to Mac's  (and Mo's) ears.  :thumbup:

I'd like to start Hackenberg this year to, preferably similar to how the jags raised Bortles up. We have a lot of talent on this team on offense, and I'd like to get him some game experience with Forte, Powell, Marshall, and Decker. That's a stacked offense that can make a qb's job a lot easier.

Either way though, I'll trust in Bowles and Gailey to bring him up right.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Let's go.

Well, what does it show the other players when Mac Daddy caves and gives Mo 17 million per and 50 million guaranteed?

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Stop troll...  Oh hell.  Hi boss.

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, what does it show the other players when Mac Daddy caves and gives Mo 17 million per and 50 million guaranteed?

It will show them that if you work hard and became a pro bowl player the Jets want you on their roster.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, the play is actually made by Robinson more than Hackenberg, infact that whole offense was very dependent on Robinson that season.  However, the ball is actually underthrown here, both the CB and Robinson slowed down.  The CB makes the mistake of moving up too far ahead, and Robinson just plucks it out from over him.  

13 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, the play is actually made by Robinson more than Hackenberg, infact that whole offense was very dependent on Robinson that season.  However, the ball is actually underthrown here, both the CB and Robinson slowed down.  The CB makes the mistake of moving up too far ahead, and Robinson just plucks it out from over him.  

So you're saying Marshall and Decker shouldn't have a hard time adjusting from Fitz to Hack?

It's funny because after his freshman season Hackenberg was considered the consensus #1 overall pick of the 2016 draft for 1 reason, he ran the Patriots offense better than anyone not named Tom Brady.

If, IF he can get his confidence back kid can start day 1.

Archived