Start Hackenberg - Geno \ Petty fight for the # 2

Maxman

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Let's go. Start Hackenberg. Keep the game plan simple. Stress that he just has to avoid turnovers. Let him learn on the job.

Geno and Petty fight it out for the # 2 spot.

The only way you bring Fitzpatrick back is if he takes under 5 million per year. No need to overpay the future is here.

Let's make the future now.

Worse thing we can do Max....this was always a two-three year plan.  Hackenberg  HAS to sit for a year, take a rest from the physical beating and the mental beating his mechanics and confidence took.  We then need to completely shore up the O-line in 2017 and give him another solid weapon before he ever takes the field.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Let Hackenberg compete for the job.

If he outplays Geno and Petty if Fitz doesn't sign, let him start.

It actually sets up well for him since we already know Geno sucks and has an IQ of a thimble and Petty is just as unproven as Hack is.

Just thought of a good headline...

Geno is no Hack.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

So you're saying Marshall and Decker shouldn't have a hard time adjusting from Fitz to Hack?

I think the biggest adjustment might for Devin Smith, he might have to catch balls on the run instead of a standing position.  

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

It will show them that if you work hard and became a pro bowl player the Jets want you on their roster.

Having these 3 quarterbacks and having to type their names over and over again on the forum is getting to be a lot of work.

So let's call them "Ha", "Pe", and "No"

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Having these 3 quarterbacks and having to type their names over and over again on the forum is getting to be a lot of work.

So let's call them "Ha", "Pe", and "No"

SAR I

Good call. But is this one of those times "No" really means yes?

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Let's go. Start Hackenberg. Keep the game plan simple. Stress that he just has to avoid turnovers. Let him learn on the job.

Geno and Petty fight it out for the # 2 spot.

The only way you bring Fitzpatrick back is if he takes under 5 million per year. No need to overpay the future is here.

Let's make the future now.

I actually do not think that this is a bad idea at all. I think its possible too based on what the Jets see out of their QB's in mini camp and OTA's.

1 hour ago, Flushing Roots said:

Let Hackenberg compete for the job.

If he outplays Geno and Petty if Fitz doesn't sign, let him start.

It actually sets up well for him since we already know Geno sucks and has an IQ of a thimble and Petty is just as unproven as Hack is.

Which is why a competition defeats the purpose. Either sit him or he has to be way beyond Geno, Petty...meaning that he literally doesnt have to sit. Winning a competition against a guy most already think is dumb doesnt mean that he should start. It just mean we have bad quarterbacks. 

It wouldn't surprise me if hack is able to win the job outright in camp, the kid has aptitude but given the tough schedule the first six weeks I'd rather not throw him to the wolves right away. Let geno or fitz go out there and take the beating for going 1-5 or 0-6

5 hours ago, slats said:

I really have no fear about letting Geno start this year. As you said, he's in the final year of his deal. Maybe he turns it on after a year on the bench and something to prove. Maybe. I feel pretty good about Gailey and Marshall and Forte helping him along to a decent season. Maybe the Jets'll even want to keep him! Imagine that! Or maybe he plays we'll  enough to get a top backup QB type contract, netting the Jets a third or fourth round comp pick. 

Hackenberg got so beat up in college, and it appears that he got some crappy coaching, too. I strongly prefer he sit and learn as a rookie. He needs to relearn some fundamentals and get his confidence back. Let's please give him a chance to do that. 

I see no advantage to sitting Hackenberg. He is in many ways the anti-rookie QB. Great football mind, used to a pro style offense, "mechanical" issues way overblown, student of the game, team captain, battle hardened and a Chan Gailey offense and solid defense.

7 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You guys are wrong with the sit two years.   He ran a full out pro offense as a true freshman.  Which means he learned how in just the summer after high school.   He will be ready this year.   If he needs anything it's little time. Like half a season. That's it. 

TOTALLY DISAGREE.

8 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Ideally I wouldn't give play him a single down in the next two seasons.

Fitz will resign. There's a long way to go in negotiations. No one's said they're moving on without the other and both parties know it's the best fit. Makes even more sense with a project like Hackenberg on board.

Honestly it isn't a terrible idea, he would only be 23 if that were the case.  Can you imagine.... But thats not to say I'm hoping he can quickly readjust his mechanics (He was doing it properly the first time, I can't see how this won't be fixed) I'd love to see him earn that starting position faster then that and take advantage of the offense that is here for the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I probably wouldn't start Hack until he personally approves of the coach, system, offensive line, and weapons he deems worthy to go to war with. Until then, it's just not fair to judge him.

LOL I will say one thing, you are very consistent in your posting! :)

I think you should put this in your signature.  Its a really really good quote lol

22 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

From worst pick in history to start him day 1 .Why do people say NY Football fans are knowledgeable ?

It's a matter of how quickly they evolve and are abel to digest and evaluate information ?

1 hour ago, Rexorcism said:

Resign Fitz in a few weeks at 8-9 mil a year for 2, trade or release Geno and Petty and Hack battle it out for the no 2.

That would make sense if this team was competitive with fitz but that's valuable cap space. If fitz can buy the young guys some time so they don't have to be rushed out before they are ready that's fine but 2 years is pushing it

That would make sense if this team was competitive with fitz but that's valuable cap space. If fitz can buy the young guys some time so they don't have to be rushed out before they are ready that's fine but 2 years is pushing it

I think it will have to be 2 years, Fitz won't sign for 1.

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

One playing and one as a security blanket best case scenario 

3 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

One playing and one as a security blanket best case scenario 

I get that, but until this team has a real established starter I would think its best to keep the roster as flexible as possible. Mo is still unsigned and you never know if the right trade might become available, that's a lot of dough to spend on a guy who's best case scenario is that he's a security blanket 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I probably wouldn't start Hack until he personally approves of the coach, system, offensive line, and weapons he deems worthy to go to war with. Until then, it's just not fair to judge him.

Kid might be a total bust at this point but playing behind that line would **** up anyones fundamentals. It's not like Temple had any NFL level talent that got drafted the last few days

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I really wish I didn't laugh at this post but I did.

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

I get that, but until this team has a real established starter I would think its best to keep the roster as flexible as possible. Mo is still unsigned and you never know if the right trade might become available, that's a lot of dough to spend on a guy who's best case scenario is that he's a security blanket 

I would think a 2 year deal that had little to no cap hit in year 2 could be worked out. Fitz knows going in this is the deal. This is why I believe he is looking for as much as possible. Just my opinion but Fitz in one year has done a great service to the organization. He has mentored Geno and Petty not just with X's and O's but in the lockeroom with teammates. I know winning had a lot to do with the chemistry and how players appeared to interact but I for one really enjoyed the excitement of last season. Thanks Fitz.

27 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Kid might be a total bust at this point but playing behind that line would **** up anyones fundamentals. It's not like Temple had any NFL level talent that got drafted the last few days

On the one hand, yeah, his circumstances sucked but on the other hand, he plays for the Jets now and his circumstances are always going to suck. 

Reality: they pay Fitz 2/$20m after trading Mo to the Eagles. They hide Hackenberg on the bench and pray to sweet Christ that he learns how to play quarterback by osmosis. After going 6-10 in 2016, they draft a corner to replace Revis at pick #8.

The 6-10 and picking a CB next year isn't that improbable but again they would miss out of a top 3 draft pick and another franchise QB...

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, yeah, his circumstances sucked but on the other hand, he plays for the Jets now and his circumstances are always going to suck. 

You're sort of missing the point. Past Jets QB draft picks were not used to playing on offenses like the Jets. Hackenberg is completely prepared for what he is about to endure.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hahaha I can't disagree there. I really didn't like taking him that early and you'll most likely be right about it but I'll try and be optimistic about him and Petty until they fall on their face. I appreciate the GM drafting any QB he believes can be the guy. If it was feasible I'd take a QB in every round till we finally have a franchise guy. Every other pick we make has essentially been a waste of time since Nameth anyway.

I am really pulling for Hack.  Hope he lights it up and is the QB for many years to come.  I think the last two second round QB picks for the Jets were Clemens and Geno.  Both killing it in the NFL now!  Sorry....I really do want Hack to do well.  Just trying to temper my own expectations.

Archived