This is the Jettiest Draft of All Jet Drafts

The Troll

1st round - Defensive player, because we aren't allowed to draft offense in the first round, I guess. Also, because of Vernon Gholston, we will never address a decade long problem on defense with a first round pick ever again.

2nd round - Developmental QB that won't be given time to develop.

3rd round - Try hard linebacker without elite athleticism.

4th round - Cornerback, in accordance with the team charter that one must be selected in the first four rounds every single draft.

5th and 6th round - No picks.

7th round - I assume they will draft a practice squad bound offensive lineman and then draft Tahj Boyd again with the last pick.

I can not believe we have gone another year without legitimately addressing an offensive line that has been outright ignored in the draft since 2006. The entire offense is old and the Jets injected zero youth into it through this draft. The Jets operate their franchise like it's a pay as you go phone. Dark, dark days are coming when we run out of minutes.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a pro bowl center and a prob bowl caliber guard (and am all pro LT if healthy). We have also been drafting lineman later in the draft last few years and trying to develop them... I don't get the argument unless you tell me that you know conclusively that Harrison, Dozier, Qvale, and winters are all crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, The Troll said:

1st round - Defensive player, because we aren't allowed to draft offense in the first round, I guess. Also, because of Vernon Gholston, we will never address a decade long problem on defense with a first round pick ever again.

4th round - Cornerback, in accordance with the team charter that one must be selected in the first four rounds every single draft.

7th round - I assume they will draft a practice squad bound offensive lineman and then draft Tahj Boyd again with the last pick.

I can not believe we have gone another year without legitimately addressing an offensive line that has been outright ignored in the draft since 2006. The entire offense is old and the Jets injected zero youth into it through this draft. The Jets operate their franchise like it's a pay as you go phone. Dark, dark days are coming when we run out of minutes.

Sadly I find myself in agreement for the most part.

Remember that we are a David Harris injury away from having a crap LB Corp. that has been addressed.

We need another developmental QB unfortunately and that has been addressed.

Revis is in decline, Miliner is a goner, so we have Skrine and Williams. We needed a CB too.

Either way we go, we hurt another part of the depth chart/future.

Just now, The Troll said:

Ugh, Jenkins has a 38" vertical and a better 10 yard split than Odell Beckham.  He's also 260 pounds.  That would be considered athletic.

5 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Remember that we are a David Harris injury away from having a crap LB Corp. that has been addressed.

We need another developmental QB unfortunately and that has been addressed.

Revis is in decline, Miliner is a goner, so we have Skrine and Williams. We needed a CB too.

Either way we go, we hurt another part of the depth chart/future.

it's easy to forget sometimes that mccags inherited a near barren roster of a 4-12 team that was run into the earth by the two previous gms.  it's not easy to replentish talent and it has to be at all positions.  

Addressing the OL was likely a priority in this draft. But for whatever reason they didn't. I am a little put off about this as well and I do think this could end up being a problem area in 2016. However, you cannot address every need in every draft. They didn't get to it. But IMO they'll still be looking to add an OL through FA maybe a late cut?

Next years draft OL will be top priority, no doubt.

We have a pro bowl center and a prob bowl caliber guard (and am all pro LT if healthy). We have also been drafting lineman later in the draft last few years and trying to develop them... I don't get the argument unless you tell me that you know conclusively that Harrison, Dozier, Qvale, and winters are all crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Pro Bowl center is entering his 11th year in the league. Our starting tackles are in their 8th and 9th years. One of them is terrible and the other one hasn't played in two of the last three years. And, no, I can't conclusively tell you that those players aren't all crap and you also can't tell me that they've done anything to suggest they aren't.

Ugh, Jenkins has a 38" vertical and a better 10 yard split than Odell Beckham.  He's also 260 pounds.  That would be considered athletic.

"He's a better football player than he is an athlete" - Mike Mayock

I like the pick. He's easily my favorite player that we've picked. But he still follows a pattern. The superlatives thrown his way sound an awful lot like the ones hurled at Maudlin last year. I'm not bashing the pick, but it fit my topic narrative.

6 minutes ago, The Troll said:

That Pro Bowl center is entering his 11th year in the league. Our starting tackles are in their 8th and 9th years. One of them is terrible and the other one hasn't played in two of the last three years. And, no, I can't conclusively tell you that those players aren't all crap and you also can't tell me that they've done anything to suggest they aren't.

Maybe they know a thing or two about their development thus LBs were more a priority than OL because THEY SEE them them every day.

It has been a...strange draft.

The Offensive Line being ignored is ridiculous but I do wonder what would have happened if Decker or Spriggs had stayed on the board. Still this was a pretty deep class and there's projected day one starters still on the board. 10 years without significant investment in the draft - I doubt any other team in the league has done that. 

I like the linebacker picks as stand alone players. Can see them both contributing significantly as soon as this season and for long after that. The issue is the quantity rather than quality of the defensive picks. We're badly reliant on some of our younger offensive players improving or that unit's going back to the historically awful standard it's only recently been removed from.

The Hackenberg pick is still pretty hard to comprehend. Forget about him as a prospect and just consider that so many of our moves (Forte, Clady and Keeping Mo) suggest we're trying to make the most of this window and win now. Makes sense considering the aforementioned issues approaching for the offence and with Marshall, Revis and Mangold getting up there. Mac must absolutely love this kid and he must eventually come good for this draft to be a success. Our QB situation becomes even more confusing and it seems now that our options are start to with Geno or to sign Fitz and have us be one injury away from throwing Hack or Petty to the wolves.

Ugh - You never know with drafts. Some of the lowest graded produce multiple all-pros and some of the highest produce absolutely nothing. 

Just now, The Troll said:

I like the pick. He's easily my favorite player that we've picked. But he still follows a pattern. The superlatives thrown his way sound an awful lot like the ones hurled at Maudlin last year. I'm not bashing the pick, but it fit my topic narrative.

Okay, but he's a good athlete and a better one than Mauldin.

Maybe they know a thing or two about their development thus LBs were more a priority than OL because THEY SEE them them every day.

They aren't secret weapons. Coaches talk during the offseason. If someone was showing marked improvement and impressing the front office, we would have heard about it already.

30 minutes ago, The Troll said:

If this isnt elite athleticism then I dont know what is. 

8 minutes ago, The Troll said:

They aren't secret weapons. Coaches talk during the offseason. If someone was showing marked improvement and impressing the front office, we would have heard about it already.

not from this FO. they keep everything close to the vest.  saying they have no need at any position tells everybody else where they are not going in the draft.

and that is exactily what they would be doing  

40 minutes ago, The Troll said:

It's amazing n unbelievable how we can not find an elite player with elite athleticism Ihad way through the third round. 

1 hour ago, The Troll said:

Funny and more accurate than some may like.

I too am dissapointed O-line wasn't addressed with young talent, but in fairness, who we have can go another 1-2 years just fine, so we have some time to get Tackles and a Center of the future before it's truly emergency.

1 hour ago, The Troll said:

Rep given for a most entertaining read.  You need to get in there and edit the 5th round, though.  You are the Jettiest.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Outside of Hackenberg it's hard to hate on this draft, IMO. We got pretty good value at positions of need.

BS. There should be HUGE concern about Darron Lee and whether he's the correct fit. Hackenberg happens to be one of the most encouraging picks.

Archived