This is the Jettiest Draft of All Jet Drafts

The Troll

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

He'll get consumed on blocks. He can't help a 3-4 defense.

I thought the whole point of a strong 3-4 DL was to absorb those blocks, allowing the LBs to make the plays?

"Welcome to Jet World.  Please, take a ticket and enjoy the ride.  What son?  How long does it last?  Well, that all depends.  For me, it's been a careening cluster fuk since the 1968 season.   But, hey, maybe you'll get lucky with this year's draft class.  What?  Who did you say?  Oh, okay.  In that case, you'll be on here for longer than you might hope.  Here, have a soda and a bag of peanuts."

Jets fans are a fickle bunch.

Just three months ago, everyone was talking about how we needed two new starting LB's because we were so old. 

The Jets draft two LB's that fit that mold, and everyone is bitching that we used two picks on such a thing.

Mind-boggling.

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Jets fans are a fickle bunch.

Just three months ago, everyone was talking about how we needed two new starting LB's because we were so old. 

The Jets draft two LB's that fit that mold, and everyone is bitching that we used two picks on such a thing.

Mind-boggling.

Seriously.  I'm sure all fans are like this tbh.  But it's funny how certain fans are about picks when GMs and scouts spend months on this stuff.  Also it's equally funny when there are "draft grades" the next day from the magazines and Kuiper/McShay types.  How can anyone know until the tires hit the pavement so to speak.

Hackenberg ruined the draft, IMO. Drafting Darron Lee and Jenkins is fine because it seemed last year that the defense on most plays was stout, but the LBs were way too slow to finish the plays, particularly against the Bills. That should no longer be an issue. The corner in the fourth is predictable because it's clear that Bowles has no use for McDougle or Milliner. Bowles was a scrappy overachiever DB and wants all of his players to be scrappy overachievers, similar to Mangini. 

The Hackenberg pick makes or breaks this regime, and I suspect he's someone that Maccagnan has wanted for a long time because he looks the part. The organization had to shoot its shot this year on the position because they couldn't find themselves in Year Four still poking around for veteran cast-offs, but I didn't think they were going to shoot their shot from half court with their off hand. Still grossed out by it, but I'm sure they'll do what they can to insulate the turd and give him a chance to grow some balls and some mental toughness. Worst case scenario, they'll fire Bowles and bring in Bill O'Brien in two years.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Hackenberg ruined the draft, IMO. Drafting Darron Lee and Jenkins is fine because it seemed last year that the defense on most plays was stout, but the LBs were way too slow to finish the plays, particularly against the Bills. That should no longer be an issue. The corner in the fourth is predictable because it's clear that Bowles has no use for McDougle or Milliner. Bowles was a scrappy overachiever DB and wants all of his players to be scrappy overachievers, similar to Mangini. 

The Hackenberg pick makes or breaks this regime, and I suspect he's someone that Maccagnan has wanted for a long time because be looks the part. The organization had to shoot its shot this year on the position because they couldn't find themselves in Year Four still poking around for veteran cast-offs, but I didn't think they were going to shoot their shot from half court with their off hand. Still grossed out by it, but I'm sure they'll do what they can to insulate the turd and give him a chance to grow some balls and some mental toughness. Worst case scenario, they'll fire Bowles and bring in Bill O'Brien in two years.

If Lynch is good and Hackenberg isn't this draft is every bit the boner as the Sapp and Marino drafts.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

If Lynch is good and Hackenberg isn't this draft is every bit the boner as the Sapp and Marino drafts.

I mean, what are the chances of that happening? Hahahahahahahsshaahshhahahahshshahaahahahahahahahahahahshshsaa

Was just thinking about the Cowboys drafting Ezekiel Elliot.  Maybe it makes more sense considering how good their OL is.  They can try to dominate time of possession.  I know that's not the way it's done in today's NFL but they can be an exception and maybe that will be a smart move.  ("zig when they zag").  Who knows.

5 hours ago, The Troll said:

1st round - Defensive player, because we aren't allowed to draft offense in the first round, I guess. Also, because of Vernon Gholston, we will never address a decade long problem on defense with a first round pick ever again.

2nd round - Developmental QB that won't be given time to develop.

3rd round - Try hard linebacker without elite athleticism.

4th round - Cornerback, in accordance with the team charter that one must be selected in the first four rounds every single draft.

5th and 6th round - No picks.

7th round - I assume they will draft a practice squad bound offensive lineman and then draft Tahj Boyd again with the last pick.

I can not believe we have gone another year without legitimately addressing an offensive line that has been outright ignored in the draft since 2006. The entire offense is old and the Jets injected zero youth into it through this draft. The Jets operate their franchise like it's a pay as you go phone. Dark, dark days are coming when we run out of minutes.

Jets traded into the fifth round and got Brandon Shell, the great nephew of Art Shell. Or so I heard. You are gloomy Gus. 

It's amazing n unbelievable how we can not find an elite player with elite athleticism Ihad way through the third round. 

You aren't. That's my point. We refuse to spend a premium pick on something we haven't had ever. Ten years in a 3-4, ten years without a legitimate rush LB.

39 minutes ago, The Troll said:

You aren't. That's my point. We refuse to spend a premium pick on something we haven't had ever. Ten years in a 3-4, ten years without a legitimate rush LB.

Trust me, we've needed a pure pass rusher at OLB forever. But I think we haven't been in a position to grab one in the draft without having to reach. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but we have tried to address the position with veterans as we needed immediate impact. It's one FO/CS after the other. 

But to get pissed off about a cover LB or a 3rd OLB is not ideal either. We needed a cover LB forever as well just like how we need a QB and a pure pass rushing OLB. Did you enjoy watching David Harris try to cover the Steelers TE on that 3rd down play in the AFCCG a few years back that sealed the game? That happens far too often in our D n I'm Glad we addressed one of the elephants in the room. 

Trust me, we've needed a pure pass rusher at OLB forever. But I think we haven't been in a position to grab one in the draft without having to reach. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but we have tried to address the position with veterans as we needed immediate impact. It's one FO/CS after the other. 

But to get pissed off about a cover LB or a 3rd OLB is not ideal either. We needed a cover LB forever as well just like how we need a QB and a pure pass rushing OLB. Did you enjoy watching David Harris try to cover the Steelers TE on that 3rd down play in the AFCCG a few years back that sealed the game? That happens far too often in our D n I'm Glad we addressed one of the elephants in the room. 

I was pretty indifferent to the Lee pick. The speed, I love. But he's a questionable fit in a 3-4 defense. An ILB needs to be able to get off blocks. The scouting report on Lee identifies that as a weakness. So, I wasn't so hot on the pick to begin with. Taking Hackenberg in the second round is what tipped it over the edge for me. We passed on Lynch, who I didn't even want. But if we were going to take a developmental QB in the first two rounds, we should have gone for the gold. At least with Lynch, I'd have some optimism. 6 foot 7 with a Jesus arm. I can dig that. If Lynch turns into another Flacco, as a lot have suggested, and Hackenberg is just a Geno redux, Lee had better be Patrick Willis or it was a gargantuan ****-up.

Actually I think it's the least Jetty draft we've had in a while.  As opposed to the New York, Broadway, Headline grabbing, pleasing the entitled ticketholder draft mentality.  We have a real scouting technician as our GM drafting with a long term plan in mind and giving his coach the pieces he needs to succeed.  It's really a breath of fresh air.

6 hours ago, brothermoose said:

Actually I think it's the least Jetty draft we've had in a while.  As opposed to the New York, Broadway, Headline grabbing, pleasing the entitled ticketholder draft mentality.  We have a real scouting technician as our GM drafting with a long term plan in mind and giving his coach the pieces he needs to succeed.  It's really a breath of fresh air.

I'm ok with the draft but I don't understand the need to get on your knees n start blowing off the GM. Besides Leonard falling into his lap, he didn't draft anyone of impact with high picks. Let's hold our horses for now. 

6 hours ago, The Troll said:

I was pretty indifferent to the Lee pick. The speed, I love. But he's a questionable fit in a 3-4 defense. An ILB needs to be able to get off blocks. The scouting report on Lee identifies that as a weakness. So, I wasn't so hot on the pick to begin with. Taking Hackenberg in the second round is what tipped it over the edge for me. We passed on Lynch, who I didn't even want. But if we were going to take a developmental QB in the first two rounds, we should have gone for the gold. At least with Lynch, I'd have some optimism. 6 foot 7 with a Jesus arm. I can dig that. If Lynch turns into another Flacco, as a lot have suggested, and Hackenberg is just a Geno redux, Lee had better be Patrick Willis or it was a gargantuan ****-up.

The difference between the two QBs is that Lynch has a higher floor with a lower ceiling while CH has a very low floor but a much higher ceiling. His problems seem to be mechanical, which is easily fixable. The mental part of it takes years to fix. He had much better mechanicals his first year running the pro style offense but the new CS destroyed that for him. So I'm confident the pro style coaching can get the best out of him. If not, it's just the 50th pick. Not the end of the world considering it's a QB pick. 

Archived