KRL

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon Shell, OT, South Carolina 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 324. Arm: 34.75. 
40 Time: 5.322. 
Projected Round (2016): 4-6. 

4/26/16: Shell was a right tackle before moving to the left side in 2015 as the replacement for Corey Robinson. Shell was decent over the season and showed some movement in the ground game. However, he doesn't look like he has the feet for left tackle in the NFL. 

Shell should be a right tackle or guard, and probably is more of a third-day pick. He had a quality week at the East-West Shrine and worked out pretty well at the combine. Shell's a sleeper pick who could start out as a quality backup. 

8/15/15: Shell had a mixed junior year. His run blocking for Mike Davis was solid, but Shell has to improve his pass blocking for the NFL. He struggles in space and with speed rushers. It will be interesting to see if Shell improves as a senior and if the Gamecocks move him to left tackle to replace Corey Robinson. 

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016OT.php#JdwihHtQdyP3W8Y4.99

Rotoworld:

STRENGTHS
Tall with exceptional length. Uses long arms to help him snare sudden inside pass rush moves and redirect edge speed past the pocket. Doesn’t have great footwork for directional change, but finds way to get it done. Patient and relatively accurate on his climbs up to linebackers off of combination blocks. Uses wide frame to his advantage against linebackers. Tape shows natural power and core strength. Functional base blocker in run game but will stalemate more than he wins. Has been a starting SEC tackle for almost entire time at South Carolina.

WEAKNESSES
Starts with a sound kickslide, but immediately resorts to a hurried shuffle to try and catch up with edge rusher. Penalties come for rocking pre-snap for fear of being beaten. Plays with disconnect between hands and feet. Outside foot deadens as he begins to work shoot initial punch in pass pro. More chaser than controlled protector. Too sluggish out of stance to consistently handle stunts inside. Needs better hand placement. Hand strength unimpressive. Doesn’t possess body control of NFL starter.

DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 6

BOTTOM LINE
Shell doesn’t have the feet to play left tackle and doesn’t bend well enough to generate consistent leverage and push as a guard inside. With that said, he has size and length and a four-year starting history in a challenging conference. Add everything up, and Shell looks to be a third day selection as a right tackle only. He may be an eventual starter, but is better suited as a backup.

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top offensive linemen in the draft next week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

TACKLES

~ ~  10. BRANDON SHELL, South Carolina (6-5 ½, 324, 5.20, 3-4): Great nephew of Hall of Fame tackle Art Shell. "Obviously, he has the bloodline," one scout said. "He played really well at the East-West (Game). He's a right tackle. Just a big body." Played mostly RT before moving to LT in 2015. "Right tackle only," another scout said. "He's pretty steady." Has undergone surgery to repair a torn labrum in each shoulder. "Like him over Spriggs," a third scout said. "He's a big guy with some athleticism. He's competitive. He'll fight you. I don't know how smart he is (Wonderlic of 17)." From Goose Creek, S.C.

rest of above article : 

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-offensive-linemen-b99704554z1-376728371.html

Before the nancy flip out over giving up a 2017 pick... it's a pick that can be easily replaced in a trade down next year... also, we're going to be getting comp picks.

It's no big deal if they project this guy starting in the next 2 years.

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Before the nancy flip out over giving up a 2017 pick... it's a pick that can be easily replaced in a trade down next year... also, we're going to be getting comp picks.

We are not getting comp picks. And trade down obviously gets you some value back, but that doesn't mean change the fact we are trying to swing for the fences. We've used up all the 2016 resources and now digging into 2017. 

Now I don't dislike the pick. 

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Definitely, gotta free up some cash for Mo!

Agreed, if your Mac you've got to bite the bullett and try and get a deal done with Mo. 

You screwed the Pooch! Mo knows it, his agent and Mac himself.

Doesn't change the fact Mo doesn't want to risk another injury w/o having LT security.

Get the deal done, sign Fitz @ 2/$20 and get the ship back on course.

Definitely not a banner weekend, or month for that matter, for Mac

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed, if your Mac you've got to bite the bullett and try and get a deal done with Mo. 

You screwed the Pooch! Mo knows it, his agent and Mac himself.

Doesn't change the fact Mo doesn't want to risk another injury w/o having LT security.

Get the deal done, sign Fitz @ 2/$20 and get the ship back on course.

Definitely not a banner weekend, or month for that matter, for Mac

So if Hackenberg turns into a franchise QB and Lee turns into a pro bowler you will still think this was a bad weekend? SOJF logic

Would it be a better weekend if Macc caved into Fitz's demands and over-payed for Mo? Macc is playing things smart while SOJF's are being their usual impatient, short sided, selves. 

30 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, I'll take it, but I doubt this guy can start this season and I thought the point was to cut Giacomini so they could free up some cap space?

The depth on the OLine is such that I don't see any way they could cut Breno regardless. They have to make sure the new left tackle actually sees the field.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

A future 4th round pick usually has a present 5th round pick value. And maybe the Jets had him evaluated higher. 

i imagine they had a 4th round grade on him and figured they may as well do it this year so next year he's ready to compete for a starting spot.  

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So if Hackenberg turns into a franchise QB and Lee turns into a pro bowler you will still think this was a bad weekend? SOJF logic

Would it be a better weekend if Macc caved into Fitz's demands and over-payed for Mo? Macc is playing things smart while SOJF's are being their usual impatient, short sided, selves. 

2/$20 is not caving in to Fitz demands. 

Getting Mo signed and not playing under $15m tag helps the team, and could help trading Mo next yr. if it is reasonable to both sides.

You're talking to the wrong dude if you think I'm part of the SOJF model.

I support Mac with his picks, but there is no getting around the fact he misplayed his hand on a few fronts.

Go back to 1 Jets Drive, get on the phone and get these things resolved. I don't want this $h!+ dragging into camp

Trading away picks is pattern for Maccagnan, we are obviously just a player or two away from the tickertape parade ...

An o lineman with a famous name, a wonderlic score comparable to that other Jet legend Vlad Ducasse, who has had surgery twice for a torn labrum , one on each  shoulder.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i imagine they had a 4th round grade on him and figured they may as well do it this year so next year he's ready to compete for a starting spot.  

Sometmes you can get a functional OL in the 7th round. A lot of linemen picked late can stick on a team. It's good value but looks like they preferred this guy to someone in the 7th. We'll still probably take one I would guess. 

I don't really get the 4th round pick of Juston Burris. Not so much b/c of the prospect. He's got good size and good coverage skills. He was probably one of the top guys on their board in the 4th. But unless they cut or trade someone, he will be the 7th CB on the depth chart. Maybe that's ok, last year they carried 7 into the season. But I felt like this was the perfect opportunity to take an O-lineman, maybe even move up for someone they liked. I know they ended up moving back up to the 5th for an o-lineman, I just don't get why CB was the pick in the 4th.

Just now, PepPep said:

I don't really get the 4th round pick of Juston Burris. Not so much b/c of the prospect. He's got good size and good coverage skills. He was probably one of the top guys on their board in the 4th. But unless they cut or trade someone, he will be the 7th CB on the depth chart. Maybe that's ok, last year they carried 7 into the season. But I felt like this was the perfect opportunity to take an O-lineman, maybe even move up for someone they liked. I know they ended up moving back up to the 5th for an o-lineman, I just don't get why CB was the pick in the 4th.

Who cares? They got an OL later. Why bitch?

16 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Trading away picks is pattern for Maccagnan, we are obviously just a player or two away from the tickertape parade ...

An o lineman with a famous name, a wonderlic score comparable to that other Jet legend Vlad Ducasse, who has had surgery twice for a torn labrum , one on each  shoulder.

so you object to trading for marshall.  you're alone on that one.

25 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Both Milliner and McDougle need to show something this year, or they'll be gone. We currently have three guys who'll definitely be here competing for playing time, after that - a whole lot of questions.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Not so sure about that.  If I'm reading this right from Jason's site the comp picks were cancelled out by FA signings

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

16 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Both Milliner and McDougle need to show something this year, or they'll be gone. We currently have three guys who'll definitely be here competing for playing time, after that - a whole lot of questions.

I completely understand that Revis is no spring chicken and the Jets have a lot of question marks at CB. But when you look at the depth, it doesn't make sense to cut anybody, not for a 4th rd. rookie. Revis is Revis, you're not trading or cutting him. M. Williams is coming off a great season and deserves a shot to start opposite Revis. Skrine was recently signed to a large contract with the notion that he would continue to improve. The Jets are not cutting or trading him. The Jets have an option on Milliner next season, he is finally healthy and this is a put up or shut up year for him, the Jets are not going to cut or trade him, it simply doesn't make sense. Furthermore, for a 6th overall pick, he have little to no trade value due to his history of injuries. McDougle was only recently drafted, he has some nice upside and never got a chance to show it due to injury last season. The Jets are not going to give up on him before he even gets a chance get on the field for extended reps. Then there is D.Morris. He is a speedster that Mac knows from Houston, he was signed specifically to bring depth and play special teams, which he excels at. Why would the Jets sign him to address the dire need on special teams coverage and then cut him? 

Like I said, they can carry 7 CBs into the season like last year. But my point was that Burris will be a 4th round pick buried 7th on the depth chart. That may be fine, CBs need time to develop. I just don't really get why the Jets go for him in the 4th. It would make more sense to me to stick with the CBs we have, maybe sign someone after cuts are made or as an UDFA to keep on practice squad or deep on the bench and develop. Next year, we will know what to do with Milliner, whether M.Williams is a legit starter, and what McDougles role may be. Depending on how things play out, next year CB may be a position we look at relatively early in the draft.

Archived