Offensive Line?

varjet

What do we think the plan is here?

The bad news is that the Jets have not invested premium draft picks successfully since 2006.

The good news is that Brick and Mangold were home run picks, and Mangold is still playing.  

The other good news is that Jets signed Carpenter to a fair second contract and he is performing better than he did with the Seahawks.

I think given that the Jets were picking 20 and teams generally put priority on OL, it was tough to justify the BPA as being an OL when the Jets picked.

But I think the choices are to allocate valuable FA $ there like they did with the DBs and WRs, pick OL much more in next year's draft, and perhaps seek trades and more FA pickups (perhaps players cut) to strengthen the unit.

If they want to develop Hackenberg, they can't put him behind that line.  

I'm not sure whether there was a plan to pick up OL earlier in the draft and it didn't pan out or if it just wasn't a draft priority. 

Overall I do not think OL is the highest priority. We have a few young players on the depth chart that may be promising players. We may not have as great of a need to draft as it appears right now. Gailey's system also uses other players to block so the need for an elite OL is lessened here. My hope is that after this offseason the team feels the defensive side is pretty well set and we can focus more on OL and maybe pick up another strong player or two. 

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

What do we think the plan is here?

The bad news is that the Jets have not invested premium draft picks successfully since 2006.

The good news is that Brick and Mangold were home run picks, and Mangold is still playing.  

The other good news is that Jets signed Carpenter to a fair second contract and he is performing better than he did with the Seahawks.

I think given that the Jets were picking 20 and teams generally put priority on OL, it was tough to justify the BPA as being an OL when the Jets picked.

But I think the choices are to allocate valuable FA $ there like they did with the DBs and WRs, pick OL much more in next year's draft, and perhaps seek trades and more FA pickups (perhaps players cut) to strengthen the unit.

If they want to develop Hackenberg, they can't put him behind that line.  

Maybe they are planning on playing Hackenbergs strengths. I heard he had a pretty horrific offensive line and was pretty good at getting sacked in college.

I have a feeling we tried to move up for a few lineman in the draft but the cost was probably a bit much. Rumor was we tried to move up for Tunsil.

Archived