So far, I love this draft

jett

Call me crazy! Go ahead! Do it. . Maybe I'm sipping the kool-aid, because I will like whatever Maccagnan picks just because he's our gm and I support the Jets. And believe it or now, I'll take his word over all of you guys here, no offense. But even despite that, I actually like the picks a ton. 

1. It's not sexy, but we needed Lee bad. I think he's a very safe pick and will be a fan favorite. 

2. Hackenberg, well potential is always nice, and I like what I see. I like qbs who didn't player on great teams, just look at every Alabama qb ever or Ohio state qb. You can't tell if they're good. This guy could be real deal. Maybe. 

3. Jenkins, my favorite pick in this draft by far. I think he will be a stud. I really so. 

4. I'll admit, I don't know much about the cb but Mel and Todd like him so I guess that's good. 

5. Like the upside on the lineman, could be a sleeper. 

And the two 7 round picks, who knows what they could be. Maybe a punter? 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

OK. You're crazy and I'll add that you must be on crack. The Lee pick is f*cking garbage.

Not sure how Lee is garbage, consider he is the new prototypical linebacker for this league and was picked in many mocks to go between 10-15.

3 hours ago, jett said:

Call me crazy! Go ahead! Do it. . Maybe I'm sipping the kool-aid, because I will like whatever Maccagnan picks just because he's our gm and I support the Jets. And believe it or now, I'll take his word over all of you guys here, no offense. But even despite that, I actually like the picks a ton. 

1. It's not sexy, but we needed Lee bad. I think he's a very safe pick and will be a fan favorite. 

2. Hackenberg, well potential is always nice, and I like what I see. I like qbs who didn't player on great teams, just look at every Alabama qb ever or Ohio state qb. You can't tell if they're good. This guy could be real deal. Maybe. 

3. Jenkins, my favorite pick in this draft by far. I think he will be a stud. I really so. 

4. I'll admit, I don't know much about the cb but Mel and Todd like him so I guess that's good. 

With you all the way Buddy. Lee is going to be great in this defense. Big fast stout up front quick as hell at the next level led by Lee.

4 hours ago, jett said:

I will like whatever Maccagnan picks just because he's our gm 

Stopped reading after this line, I mean at least your honest but I bet you would have said the same thing after idziks drafts and then try to deny it after the fact.  

You cant just blindly love a draft because you trust the gm, unless that gm has helped win you a Super Bowl and even then it's ok to be skeptical when a 4th round pick like suckenberg is taken in the 2nd round......

we as fans have a right to question our gm because they aren't infallible by any means and it doesn't take a professional to point that out.

Here's why I don't mind the Hackenberg pick-20 years from now if he manages a storied HOF career I don't think one scout today would be shocked. He has those tools. Conversely if he busts out royally and is out of the league in 3 years I don't think one scout today would be shocked. He has those questions. Given how poorly our 2nd rounders have fared over the years, this is a coin I'm willing to flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 20 Darron Lee
  • Video
    Video Video Highlights
  • What he brings: in.gif

One of the better space linebackers in this class, Lee is a rangy run defender who shows fast eyes and quality recognition skills. His best value as a prospect comes on third down, during which he has the athleticism to matchup in zone or man coverage. He is an underrated blitzer. While he is undersized and will never be a strong point-of-attack defender, Lee is an ideal fit for today's game and should quickly develop into an impactful weak-side linebacker. -- Kevin Weidl

How he fits: in.gif

Lee is an excellent value at this point. Though he doesn't appear to be an ideal fit for the Jets' scheme, he has the potential to develop into an effective weakside inside linebacker in New York's base 3-4 scheme and the Jets have a need there with Demario Davis signing with the Browns this offseason. At the very least, he has the range and athletic ability to make an immediate impact on third down. -- Steve Muench

• Video
    Video Video Highlights

Hackenberg is a tough evaluation. On one hand, his size, arm strength and the potential he showed as a freshman make him an intriguing Day 2 prospect. Plus, while you don't want to make excuses, his porous pass protection and average receiver play factored into his subpar production the past two seasons. On the other hand, his underwhelming tape, career completion percentage (56.1 percent) and ball placement are significant concerns.

The Jets have a pressing need at quarterback considering Ryan Fitzpatrick remains unsigned, Geno Smith isn't the long-term answer and Bryce Petty may never develop into a starter. In addition, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is capable of unlocking Hackenberg's considerable upside, so Hackenberg could be the long-term answer. However, he developed plenty of bad habits the past two seasons and he needs a lot of work; ideally he doesn't start this year. -- Steve Muench

•  
  • Video
    Video Video Highlights

Jenkins is a better football player than athlete whose game is predicated on physicality and toughness. He has a thick and compact build with longer arms. He is at his best when setting the edge as a run defender. Jenkins doesn't have exceptional initial quickness or bend as a pass-rusher, but he has quality speed-to-power element and is relentless in this area. He has a chance to add depth and push for a starting role in a few years, ideally as a 3-4 outside linebacker. -- Kevin Weidl

The Jets fill one of their most pressing needs by taking Jenkins, who is an excellent fit at outside linebacker in their base 3-4 scheme. Calvin Pace is a 35-year-old unrestricted free agent, Trevor Reilly isn't an impact player and they need to add depth as well as competition for Lorenzo Mauldin, who flashed as a rookie last year. -- Steve Muench

•  
  • Video
    Video Video Highlights

A big and physical cornerback that fits well within the Jets' press-man scheme. He also shows above-average ball awareness and does a nice job of turning, locating and timing his jumps playing the ball. Finally, he also is a physical run defender that will set the edge and uses his size and length well to secure and finish tackles. He has a chance to add depth and push for a starting job down the road. -- Kevin Weidl

• From WAS

• Video
    Video Video Highlights

Shell is a four-year starter with a prototypical frame for a right tackle prospect who comes with upside due to his raw athleticism. However, his tape doesn't come close to matching Shell's talent, and a history of shoulder injuries is reason for concern, easily making him a high-risk-high-reward prospect. -- Kevin Weidl

• Video
    Video Video Highlights

A team captain, Peake missed almost all of the 2013 season after tearing his ACL in a practice and he appeared in just seven games after tearing his meniscus during the 2014 preseason, so durability is an obvious concern. He has an above-average blend of size and speed and he's underrated after the catch. His hands are inconsistent but he flashes the ability to pluck the ball out of the air and has a wide catching radius (34-inch arms and a 35 ½-inch vertical). -- Steve Muench

39 minutes ago, LunAticcalm said:

Stopped reading after this line, I mean at least your honest but I bet you would have said the same thing after idziks drafts and then try to deny it after the fact.  

You cant just blindly love a draft because you trust the gm, unless that gm has helped win you a Super Bowl and even then it's ok to be skeptical when a 4th round pick like suckenberg is taken in the 2nd round......

we as fans have a right to question our gm because they aren't infallible by any means and it doesn't take a professional to point that out.

Want to know why? Cuz he knows more than you and I. And everybody else. So I trust him. I don't trust you

4 hours ago, jett said:

YOU SURE YOU A JET FAN. EITHER THAT OR YOU DON'T KOOW ANYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

12 minutes ago, Larz said:
  • 20 Darron Lee
  • Video
    Video Video Highlights

One of the better space linebackers in this class, Lee is a rangy run defender who shows fast eyes and quality recognition skills. His best value as a prospect comes on third down, during which he has the athleticism to matchup in zone or man coverage. He is an underrated blitzer. While he is undersized and will never be a strong point-of-attack defender, Lee is an ideal fit for today's game and should quickly develop into an impactful weak-side linebacker. -- Kevin Weidl

Lee is an excellent value at this point. Though he doesn't appear to be an ideal fit for the Jets' scheme, he has the potential to develop into an effective weakside inside linebacker in New York's base 3-4 scheme and the Jets have a need there with Demario Davis signing with the Browns this offseason. At the very least, he has the range and athletic ability to make an immediate impact on third down. -- Steve Muench

You pay for insider?

3 hours ago, #bman said:

Great Draft. And yes, I haven't watched any of these guys play! But I know one thing, Mac and Bowles and the rest of the scouts know FAR FAR FAR FAR more than anyone here.

not enough FARS

29 minutes ago, jett said:

Want to know why? Cuz he knows more than you and I. And everybody else. So I trust him. I don't trust you

It's not about trust, I don't believe idzik purposely made bad picks in order to torpedo his career or that mac doesn't believe he is making the right pick every round. It's the FACT that he doesn't know better than everyone else and we have to hope as fans that he gets more right then wrong.

that said when a fan can see a bad pick and points out legit reasons for it being bad I listen, I don't bury my head in the sand and say "Mac knows better than you".  I'm an adult who understands that hitting on every drat pick is extremely unlikely so some of these guys were mistakes. 

5 hours ago, Mainejet said:

OK. You're crazy and I'll add that you must be on crack. The Lee pick is f*cking garbage.

Garbage? He fills one of this teams biggest needs...speed on defense. Last season we were weak covering RBs catching passes out of the backfield as well as covering TEs. I think he was a solid pick.

23 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Garbage? He fills one of this teams biggest needs...speed on defense. Last season we were weak covering RBs catching passes out of the backfield as well as covering TEs. I think he was a solid pick.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Darron_Lee_Youll_Feel_My_Energy/7ef4dc35-1667-42a7-b114-21f737d3321e

Not sure how to embed this here, but he's definitely well spoken and comes across as a very likable guy.  I love the speed he brings to the defense.

9 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I thought Maccagnan didn't draft for need. That he was Mr. BAP. I've been reading this for over a year now. Try to find a pick that wasn't drafted purely for need. Hell, we even drafted a freaking punter

Nothing wrong with assigning need to picks, as pure BAP is mindless stupidity. But I am through listening to this nonsense idea of, "Ooh he's a scout by trade so he just drafts the best player he can get regardless of position," that keeps getting shoveled around.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I thought Maccagnan didn't draft for need. That he was Mr. BAP. I've been reading this for over a year now. Try to find a pick that wasn't drafted purely for need. Hell, we even drafted a freaking punter

Nothing wrong with assigning need to picks, as pure BAP is mindless stupidity. But I am through listening to this nonsense idea of, "Ooh he's a scout by trade so he just drafts the best player he can get regardless of position," that keeps getting shoveled around.

I honestly don't think scouting is an exact enough science to have a pure BAP mentality. If one guy is an 89 and another is an 88, is there really any difference in the scouts view? I mean if the 88 is at a position of need, the 89 should be selected almost every time, as long as the position warrants the pick. 

Archived