Inside Christian Hackenberg's exhaustive NFL prep: He's 'a slam dunk'

JETSfaninNE

This kid needs to be taken apart and put back together. But I'm not also gonna solely Penn State and Franklin on his performance. I'd personally love to hear O'Brien talk about him honestly. I know he wouldn't because he wouldn't wanna knock his former school or his successor. But it's obvious O'Brien got more out of him as a freshman than Franklin did his next 2 years in school.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

From January through mid-March, Christian Hackenberg’s introduction to the NFL would begin every morning at 5:30 at Jordan Palmer’s Southern California home.

Palmer, an eight-year NFL veteran, spent 2 ½ months preparing Hackenberg for life in the pros, which Palmer says the 21-year-old the Jets selected in the second round on Friday is ready for.

“He’s going to be confident enough to be the face of the franchise for the Jets when that time comes for him,” Palmer said Saturday. “In the meantime, he’s going to be a guy that’s going to get in line and learn and be humble. I think it’s a great fit.”

Palmer met Hackenberg at an Elite 11 camp when Hackenberg was in high school. He watched his college career at Penn State, where Hackenberg was a star under Bill O’Brien as a freshman then struggled as NCAA sanctions took their toll on the Nittany Lions’ roster and the transition from O’Brien to James Franklin stunted Hackenberg’s growth.

Palmer worked with Hackenberg last year before his junior year then took on a more official role after Hackenberg left college in January to prepare for the NFL. They started by watching every college snap Hackenberg took and dissected what went right and wrong.

“There’s a franchise player in there,” Palmer said. “He showed it his freshman year and he was put in a very difficult situation the last two years. The first thing is pulling that out.”

The Jets took North Carolina State cornerback Juston Burris in the fourth round Saturday and tackle Brandon Shell from South Carolina in the fifth round, a pick they traded for with Washington. All of the attention still was on their second-round pick, though, because of how polarizing the Hackenberg pick is.

Hackenberg’s mechanics suffered at Penn State as he played behind a porous offensive line that got him sacked 103 times. He began to look at the pass rush instead of downfield and had trouble setting his feet without getting hit.

There were plenty of reasons for his struggles, but Hackenberg had to sit back and listen to the critics pick him apart in the pre-draft process. He could not blame the offensive line or Franklin without sounding like he was making excuses and shifting the blame.

All he could do was take it.

“He’s just been a dartboard for three months,” Palmer said. “Now, all of that is irrelevant. He’s a Jet.”

Hackenberg rented a house down the street from Palmer and they began to work a week after his college career ended. They would do classroom work in the morning, then go to the field after breakfast. After lunch, Hackenberg would work with a personal trainer, then he would have 3-5 hours of film study at night.

Palmer had Hackenberg watch film like NFL quarterbacks do. They adopted the Cardinals, where Palmer’s brother Carson is the quarterback. As the Cardinals prepared for playoff games with the Packers and Panthers, Hackenberg watched each team’s last five games on Monday, their base pressures on Tuesday, sub-package pressures on Wednesday, third-down calls on Thursday and red-zone situations on Friday. Before the game, Hackenberg would compare notes with Carson.

“We literally knew more about the game than anybody watching it,” Jordan said.

After the Cardinals lost in the NFC Championship game, they broke down the Broncos before the Super Bowl. Then they studied the 2015 seasons of Carson and Jacksonville’s Blake Bortles and the rookie season of the Colts’ Andrew Luck. Hackenberg would have to give Jordan Palmer a report every morning off his film study, and Palmer would try to teach him about the coverages he did not recognize.

“He’s just obsessed with football,” Palmer said. “He loves it. I think it’s a slam dunk. For me, all this negative stuff is hysterical to me because so many people are so wrong.”

Palmer said all of the issues Hackenberg has dealt with in college makes him ready for New York.

“To have to deal with the amount of adversity he dealt with, he is well-equipped to take on you and your colleagues and the fan base and AFC East, too,” Palmer said. “He is in a good position to do that.”

Source: https://t.co/bnQvZ7tg0H

I hope we keep hearing more of these type of stories about him, Jets might have finally, after so many years caught a freaking break at the most important position.

You think Geno puts in this kind of work?

3 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I think the bigger picture is how humble and dedicated Hackenburg is to improving. This is a player who did not get down on himself or think he was so good that he didn't need to reach out and get help. Personally, I am very impressed with this player  and everything I'm reading is positive and hopeful

i think some people would be delighted to see this young man out banging hookers and getting arrested. He seems like an extremely motivated, intelligent young man with a huge chip on his shoulder. I think that's a great combination.

This kid knows more about protections, and identifying Defensive fronts then Geno Smith already, if he can pick up the play book quickly (I think he can easily) he can compete to start day 1 IMO.  He knows when to do a hard snap count, use the info off the hard count to adjust in, and out of plays, and move protections, nobody has been this pro ready in that aspect since Andrew Luck.

Yes there is a bunch of foot work, and internal clock stuff he needs to clean up, but if he can he is a guy I can see strating day 1, and I think the Jets also see it, and are not ruling it out, if they thought he was 2 year project they don't take him 51st overall.

We are in uncharted waters...I can't think of any precedent that helps us figure out which way this thing goes.

The possibilities are titillating; a number one overall type guy, watch the video breakdown against temple,  Watch the Jon Gruden quarterback camp, read the article about him working every day with a former NFL quarterback this off-season combine that with his measurable's and reportedly great intangibles  and you really do see what the others see. How this kid could potentially be, really, true blue, really be our answer; our future franchise quarterback.  That gives me the feeling of  hope that I haven't had since drafting Mark Sanchez. 

But is he Brandon Carr already- A broken shell of his former self? Can you fix his lazy footwork and clean up those fundamentals that caused him to throw into the ground or bleachers on simple throws.

I think he really needs a break and opportunity to step back from being "the guy" and practice the fundamentals and get with professional NFL coaches to put him in the right system, a prostyle system. Let him take a breath and just simply learn and study the game of football. This is also a reason I really hope Ryan Fitzpatrick comes back to fill the mentor role for our your quarterback room  salary of $10 million a year would be worth it just for him to teach Hackenberg what he knows 

I have a 60% feeling that this kid actually will be our franchise quarterback and a good 

'

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Wow, so the guy Hackenberg paid to fix him thinks he's fixed? Was his QB coach not available to give a scouting report? What about his high school teammates? His mom maybe?

Yeah, it doesn't get more worthless then this and I've been going out of my way to defend this guy.

42 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

I never saw him play and I understand he had a porous offensive line, but the question for me is: with all those sacks, is he an immobile Kenny obrien type? Does he display mobility? 

He would literally be hit on his 2nd step on a 3 step block because a lineman got beat clean, wasn't missed protection, or free blitzer, his OLINE Would Just Flat Out whiff, AND He would be sacked before He even Knew what Had Happened. 

6 hours ago, Larz said:

I have to admit one of the things I like most about him is the adversity thing and toughness.  in this town, you need both.

Yeah, seeee....New Yawk's a tough town and being the QB of the New Yawk Jets requiahs guts, seeeee.

Really, +1. Crappy draft prospect as he is, he stood and fought when no others would. Where the hearts of perhaps lesser men failed and retreated, he took a stand and faced the oncoming hordes. His heart has been hardened, forged by the flames of struggle and anguish. Perhaps this will be all the difference, and young Hackenberg will rise to quarterback the Jets. 

My narrative of choice is that this sh*tshow franchise will wander into a QB through the dumbest way possible. Geno Smith, 2nd round pick on Hackenberg, and Ryan Fitzgerald as the guy who might start over either has to at least qualify.

6 hours ago, gEYno said:

As opposed to now, when we have a thread for every video or article that suggests it's all someone else's fault and boyitellya he's gonna be swell.

Tru dat!! How dare dese mofos try to look for a positive spin on a drafted QB for the Jets!!! Don't dese dumb mofos understand what being a Jet fan is all about? Thanks to you and @dbatesman for clearing things up for us and putting us in our place with the right perspective n all that kind of stuff.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's The Geno Smith Story, part II. ;) 

Ehhh, there were a few people who thought Geno was never going to be an NFL QB, but nothing like this. Most Jets fans were excited for the Geno pick, claiming such great value because some were predicting him to go 1 overall. The level of hate and confidence in the sucktitude for Hackenberg already is far more than anything anyone said about Geno.

Most Jet internet posters are more worried about their street cred than whether or not the team does well, so its pretty clear we are going into Hackenbergs Jet career with a whole bunch of haters hoping for him to fail. Pretty cool, good fan base we have.......

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Ehhh, there were a few people who thought Geno was never going to be an NFL QB, but nothing like this. Most Jets fans were excited for the Geno pick, claiming such great value because some were predicting him to go 1 overall. The level of hate and confidence in the sucktitude for Hackenberg already is far more than anything anyone said about Geno.

Most Jet internet posters are more worried about their street cred than whether or not the team does well, so its pretty clear we are going into Hackenbergs Jet career with a whole bunch of haters hoping for him to fail. Pretty cool, good fan base we have.......

lol you have a short memory.

Look, I don't have a dog in this race (in terms of being right or wrong) with regards to Hackenberg. I'm happy if any young Jets QB doesn't stink. I'd be thrilled beyond belief if Smith turned his career around. I'd be happy if Sanchez came back and tore it up and I never liked him any more than you've liked Geno. But you have to admit there are a LOT of red flags for a kid taken in the 2nd round. More than Geno had. More than Clemens had. Probably more than Petty as well (who was raw coming out of college because of his team/offense, not kind of sh*tty in college because of it). 

That said, he's just a baby. He's 21. People can get better than they were at 21, unless you're talking about erectile rigidity (sans pharmacological intervention). So I hope he does. I do have a concern not just that he is a bust waiting to happen, but that Maccagnan got the lowdown on him from a coach who knew what he was - or what he thought he was turning into - not necessarily what he is. Also I don't like that he didn't take all the time he could have before making the pick. That bugs the f*** out of me. 

10 hours ago, Colgateman said:

IT's Official I love christian sackenberg

that penn state program being a sh*t show was a blessing in disguise jets family, we finally have the chosen one

If I was a prospective college QB I would never want to go to Penn State.  Of course, Paterno was gone when Hack went, right?  Well, he was a Penn kid.  When I used to watch college football before it began to bore me out of my mind, I used to ask myself where does Penn State get these guys?  

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

We are in uncharted waters...I can't think of any precedent that helps us figure out which way this thing goes.

The possibilities are titillating; a number one overall type guy, watch the video breakdown against temple,  Watch the Jon Gruden quarterback camp, read the article about him working every day with a former NFL quarterback this off-season combine that with his measurable's and reportedly great intangibles  and you really do see what the others see. How this kid could potentially be, really, true blue, really be our answer; our future franchise quarterback.  That gives me the feeling of  hope that I haven't had since drafting Mark Sanchez. 

But is he Brandon Carr already- A broken shell of his former self? Can you fix his lazy footwork and clean up those fundamentals that caused him to throw into the ground or bleachers on simple throws.

I think he really needs a break and opportunity to step back from being "the guy" and practice the fundamentals and get with professional NFL coaches to put him in the right system, a prostyle system. Let him take a breath and just simply learn and study the game of football. This is also a reason I really hope Ryan Fitzpatrick comes back to fill the mentor role for our your quarterback room  salary of $10 million a year would be worth it just for him to teach Hackenberg what he knows 

I have a 60% feeling that this kid actually will be our franchise quarterback and a good 

'

Yup. Agreed. What is interesting from looking at some  of the tapes posters have put up is that his footwork is actually very good in the traditional drop back out of the pocket. As pointed out he just looks lost in the shotgun and his timing is all off. There's work to be done, of course, but he's got the sharpness, the resilience, and the big arm to be something special. I think he went higher than needed, but I understand why the Jets went for him in the late second. They see him as their QB of the future. If the Broncos traded up into the first for Lynch, who has to learn a pro style offense from the ground up and is not particularly smart, we did the right thing.

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

'

Good post, ironically Fitzpatricks's value just went up with this pick!

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He would literally be hit on his 2nd step on a 3 step block because a lineman got beat clean, wasn't missed protection, or free blitzer, his OLINE Would Just Flat Out whiff, AND He would be sacked before He even Knew what Had Happened. 

i mean we can't blame every sack on the o-line....but yeah they were awful. i think its in the temple video where they rush 2 and still get to hackenberg like lightning. that o-line was all time awful.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Just how inept was his O-line? Against Northwestern in 2014, linemen Brian Gaia and Andrew Nelson wound up blocking each other on a key 4th-and-1 play that was stuffed for a two-yard loss. And against Temple in 2015, the Owls, on a 3rd-and-15, rushed only two players against six blockers—and still sacked Hackenberg in less than three seconds.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Look, I don't have a dog in this race (in terms of being right or wrong) with regards to Hackenberg. I'm happy if any young Jets QB doesn't stink. I'd be thrilled beyond belief if Smith turned his career around. I'd be happy if Sanchez came back and tore it up and I never liked him any more than you've liked Geno. But you have to admit there are a LOT of red flags for a kid taken in the 2nd round. More than Geno had. More than Clemens had. Probably more than Petty as well (who was raw coming out of college because of his team/offense, not kind of sh*tty in college because of it). 

That said, he's just a baby. He's 21. People can get better than they were at 21, unless you're talking about erectile rigidity (sans pharmacological intervention). So I hope he does. I do have a concern not just that he is a bust waiting to happen, but that Maccagnan got the lowdown on him from a coach who knew what he was - or what he thought he was turning into - not necessarily what he is. Also I don't like that he didn't take all the time he could have before making the pick. That bugs the f*** out of me. 

I don't have a short memory, I remember the Geno draft quite well. He acted like a whiny prick, and it was a sign of things to come. Even with that, most Jet fans were happy with the pick, and thought it was good value. Plus, most saw it as the end of Sanchez, so that alone made most people like the pick. The detractors were nowhere near as strong.

The odds are that Hackenberg won't be a great QB, because there are about 5 of them on the planet at any point in time. But that doesn't mean the fan base has to take their morning dump on him and declare him crap before he ever makes a pass either.

Its one thing to say you don't think it's a good pick, or you don't think it will work out, it's another to take it to the level that many Jets fans are taking it too.

as for not taking their allotted time? A bit nit picky no? If they had him rated higher than Lynch, who went almost a round higher, and knew they wanted him, and we're not going to trade him, who gives a crap how long they took? These guys spend months talking to other teams and know what trades are possible before, and had been on the phone. He was their guy, they took him. If he doesn't pan out, it won't be because they made the pick in 10 seconds.

You pretty much never said a negative word about Rex or Idzik during their time here, and have plenty to say about Bowles and Mac. That's cool, it's your prerogative and all, but it just feels agenda-ish.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That said, he's just a baby. He's 21. People can get better than they were at 21, unless you're talking about erectile rigidity (sans pharmacological intervention). So I hope he does. I do have a concern not just that he is a bust waiting to happen, but that Maccagnan got the lowdown on him from a coach who knew what he was - or what he thought he was turning into - not necessarily what he is. 

Well said Sperm, +1

Let's give the QB a chance to play before the Jets fans kill him , the Jets need a QB in the worst way maybe he the next great QB who knows , no one can predict the furture , Fitz sucks he proved it in the Bills game. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sorry but think you are a little short sighted into how much evaluation went into this pick. I'm sure he and Jets scouts and coaches spoke with Palmer as to where he was and where he is now also what he could become. At the same time they used tape and current workouts to evaluate where he is as a posed to where he was. After evaluating Palmers opinion and their own evaluation a decision was made. If you believe that this did not happen then really no true evaluation was done. I just think Mac looked at the big picture and relied on all parties to make his decision.

All of this talk about preparation and excuses for less than ideal circumstances is great. I could almost get excited about the pick. Just one thing. He is inaccurate. Just about anything else can be fixed. You can't fix inaccuracy. When the Jets are someday serious about getting an NFL quality QB, they will use a first round draft choice to pick one. Or they can keep picking guys in the second and fourth rounds and hope they will find the next Tom Brady.

9 hours ago, gEYno said:

As opposed to now, when we have a thread for every video or article that suggests it's all someone else's fault and boyitellya he's gonna be swell.

This is what happens when demand for your product is inelastic to its quality. People are not only arguing that, well, he can't put the ball where it's supposed to go, but it's gonna be okay because feelings but throwing temper tantrums at anybody who doesn't find this especially persuasive. The Jets know their target market, which for the most part is not composed of people who are interested in employing rational measures to try to win football games.

34 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Sorry but think you are a little short sighted into how much evaluation went into this pick. I'm sure he and Jets scouts and coaches spoke with Palmer as to where he was and where he is now also what he could become. At the same time they used tape and current workouts to evaluate where he is as a posed to where he was. After evaluating Palmers opinion and their own evaluation a decision was made. If you believe that this did not happen then really no true evaluation was done. I just think Mac looked at the big picture and relied on all parties to make his decision.

I don't doubt it at all. What of it? Palmer worked with him and he's known to be a smart kid. What's he going to say, that he's hopeless? 

His problems, allegedly, don't stem from the neck up in diagnosing plays and defenses. It's on the field. 

Again, I am not calling him a sure future bust or anything. I just don't believe he was the BAP on their board and with all the trades going around, that they didn't wait long enough to see what others would have offered. What if we could have picked up a 5th rounder for backing up a few slots and still grab him? What if a lot of things. A lack of patience after waiting all those months? What was the rush? 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't doubt it at all. What of it? Palmer worked with him and he's known to be a smart kid. What's he going to say, that he's hopeless? 

His problems, allegedly, don't stem from the neck up in diagnosing plays and defenses. It's on the field. 

Again, I am not calling him a sure future bust or anything. I just don't believe he was the BAP on their board and with all the trades going around, that they didn't wait long enough to see what others would have offered. What if we could have picked up a 5th rounder for backing up a few slots and still grab him? What if a lot of things. A lack of patience after waiting all those months? What was the rush

Maybe Just maybe you are wrong and he was the BPA on their board at that time. .  The  highlighted areas scream this don't you think

28 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

This is the same Jordan Palmer who couldn't hold a job on any QB depth chart for the six teams that dumped him in six short years?

Don't the Jets do similar homework/evaluation for every player they sign? The success rate is what it is.

58 minutes ago, bassmaster2 said:

Let's give the QB a chance to play before the Jets fans kill him , the Jets need a QB in the worst way maybe he the next great QB who knows , no one can predict the furture , Fitz sucks he proved it in the Bills game. 

I sure hope Hack "sucks" as bad as Fitz did last year.  That'd be great.

And I think we're all willing to give him a chance (as if we had a choice, right?) but when all we have to evaluate the pick thus far is the college resume, and that resume could be summarized as "potential, but a massive failure to achieve it because excuses" it's hardly wrong to discuss that fact.

This phase will be over the second he plays in preseason, then on he'll be judged by what he does as a Pro.

Here's the bottom line IMO, this kid got beat up more than any prospect that I can remember in a long long time.  I get why, the regression from his freshman year but you can't ignore the climate.  That stuff is huge in college.

He was once the #1 prospect in the country before guys like Goff and Wentz were household names.  Something made him that and clearly Mac thinks he can bring that back out of him.

Was he a reach?  Maybe.  Who knows really if they had another chance at him later.  The projections on him were the most inconsistent of any player.  

What I do know is, they took the kid with the highest ceiling and the lowest floor at the most important position in all of sports.  Is it a gamble?  Sure.  They all are.  But it's like lotto, you got to be in it, to win it.  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Here's the bottom line IMO, this kid got beat up more than any prospect that I can remember in a long long time.  I get why, the regression from his freshman year but you can't ignore the climate.  That stuff is huge in college.

He was once the #1 prospect in the country before guys like Goff and Wentz were household names.  Something made him that and clearly Mac thinks he can bring that back out of him.

Was he a reach?  Maybe.  Who knows really if they had another chance at him later.  The projections on him were the most inconsistent of any player.  

What I do know is, they took the kid with the highest ceiling and the lowest floor at the most important position in all of sports.  Is it a gamble?  Sure.  They all are.  But it's like lotto, you got to me in it, to win it.  

Generally a good post, but that last bit?  No one, and I mean no one, evaluated Hack as having "the highest ceiling".  That's pure after-action fantasy.  

In almost every draft evaluation, media hot air, and the like I saw/read, Lynch ws the QB pegged as the highest ceiling.  Hack, when discussed, was a 2nd round prospect and the talk focused on years ago and his potential not met almost exclusively.

Archived