Inside Christian Hackenberg's exhaustive NFL prep: He's 'a slam dunk'

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bassmaster2 said:

I think he could be a good QB and he can,t be worst than turnover Fitz with a weak arm 

We'll see.  31 TD's. 15 INT's, almost 4,000 yards and 10 wins would be great from Hack.  We'll see if he can "suck" that badly.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We'll see.  31 TD's. 15 INT's, almost 4,000 yards and 10 wins would be great from Hack.  We'll see if he can "suck" that badly.

What about the 3 picks in the Bills game with the playoffs on the line,playoff what matters in the NFL

Just now, Tinstar said:

You are a hard person Beloved .  I love that quality . One should hold firm to what one believes .         

There was one HC he did well with, right? That HC likely spoke well of him (and shared this opinion with Maccagnan at some point). He had a veteran QB on his roster for cheap, wanted a young QB, and Hackenberg would have been easy for him to draft of he wanted him. Did his biggest advocate + current HC want Hackenberg, or did he risk his career on Osweiller instead? 

Elway/Kubiak didn't want him either, instead going with Lynch. 

How many teams were even looking for a round 2 QB in the first place? 

So either they had him rated higher than basically anyone else in the league, any commentators, and any draft sites or "experts" as well...or they reached because he's a QB. 

Again, I'm just going by what is said (not just here). It seems early to have taken him, indicating it was a pure need pick. They were going QB there no matter what and that's why they wouldn't even wait to see if there were any trade offers to recoup a 5th that it turns out they really wanted/needed.

If he's a hit, no one will remember any of this. All anyone will remember is the Jets knew better than everyone else for a change, which would be 100% awesome. 

23 minutes ago, bassmaster2 said:

I think he could be a good QB and he can,t be worst than turnover Fitz with a weak arm 

I'm not at all an advocate for Fitzpatrick, and even I'll acknowledge that isn't even close to being accurate. He can be a LOT worse than Fitzpatrick, who - despite all the shortcomings - has managed to stick around for over a decade in a pass-first era NFL. He's a lower-level starter (among those who aren't in there due to pure "potential") and/or a top-notch backup. Let's see if Hackenberg is still in the league as long as Brady Quinn was before we start anointing him as anything more than a huge draft day mistake.

I think he's got more going for him than some people are crediting, but what do I know I never saw a single full game of his.

If you think Hackenberg was drafted too early, then what do you think about where Jacoby Brissett was drafted .  I posted this before, and I will yet again. I had an interest I  certain QBs from this draft ;

Carson Wentz  who I had rated as the beat pure prospect at the position 

Connor Cook who I believe suffered from his perceived  reputation  based on his non captaincy at MSU and what happened with Archie Griffin

Christian Hackenberg who I saw as the most astute prospect with old school NFL franchise QB skills .

Jacoby Brissett who exhibited the toughness displayed by Big Ben in the pocket and the skill set in a pro style scheme that needed developmental time.

All these prospects need to sit and learn the pro game while fixing the issues in their game that the college level doesn't have the time to fix .  IMHO, the most mentally advance was Hackenberg followed by  Wentz, but Hack was abused  . Kid needs a year of healing, forgetting and reprograming .

I had no interest in any of the others . 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There was one HC he did well with, right? That HC likely spoke well of him (and shared this opinion with Maccagnan at some point). He had a veteran QB on his roster for cheap, wanted a young QB, and Hackenberg would have been easy for him to draft of he wanted him. Did his biggest advocate + current HC want Hackenberg, or did he risk his career on Osweiller instead? 

Elway/Kubiak didn't want him either, instead going with Lynch. 

How many teams were even looking for a round 2 QB in the first place? 

So either they had him rated higher than basically anyone else in the league, any commentators, and any draft sites or "experts" as well...or they reached because he's a QB. 

Again, I'm just going by what is said (not just here). It seems early to have taken him, indicating it was a pure need pick. They were going QB there no matter what and that's why they wouldn't even wait to see if there were any trade offers to recoup a 5th that it turns out they really wanted/needed.

If he's a hit, no one will remember any of this. All anyone will remember is the Jets knew better than everyone else for a change, which would be 100% awesome. 

What is your opinion of Eli Manning ?

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There was one HC he did well with, right? That HC likely spoke well of him (and shared this opinion with Maccagnan at some point).

Im not trying to be difficult, but do we really think in their one year together, they spent time speaking about Christian Hackenberg? I just don't get why, he wasnt a draft option before this year, so I just don't see why this would come up. Not saying it didnt, and if it was said somehwere that they spoke about him, I missed it and I am wrong, but short of that, I don't see why any discussion of Hackenberg between these two makes a lot of sense.

43 minutes ago, bassmaster2 said:

What about the 3 picks in the Bills game with the playoffs on the line,playoff what matters in the NFL

I was more concerned with 16 mil-a-year Revis being unable to cover anything and getting burned all day long by a bad QB, WR's dropping easy catches that would have won the game and both our RB's, on who the O depended, being hurt.

Still, I'll take a 31TD, 4,000 Yard, 10 win year every year if I can get it, and bank that whomever is putting up those numbers will win that Bills game next time.....if the entire team doesn't let him down again.  Be it Fitz, or some potential eventual Hack.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I was more concerned with 16 mil-a-year Revis being unable to cover anything and getting burned all day long by a bad QB, WR's dropping easy catches that would have won the game and both our RB's, on who the O depended, being hurt.

Still, I'll take a 31TD, 4,000 Yard, 10 win year every year if I can get it, and bank that whomever is putting up those numbers will win that Bills game next time.....if the entire team doesn't let him down again.  Be it Fitz, or some potential eventual Hack.

Fitz lost both Bills games the first one with the lame ass pass to Kellen Davis and the second with the 3 INTs. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Generally a good post, but that last bit?  No one, and I mean no one, evaluated Hack as having "the highest ceiling".  That's pure after-action fantasy.  

In almost every draft evaluation, media hot air, and the like I saw/read, Lynch ws the QB pegged as the highest ceiling.  Hack, when discussed, was a 2nd round prospect and the talk focused on years ago and his potential not met almost exclusively.

He was the #1 High School prospect in the land and at one point was the #1 NFL prospect in the land.  He has the highest ceiling because he always has and nothing really changed that until the typical nitpicking began.  Lynch like Goff and Wentz became hot names when all the draftniks started their annual ranking/analysis campaigns of look at me and my hot take on the "film" I watched.  

Hack has been the guy since he was 15 years old.  That really never changed until this year.  He's an exciting prospect and the warning labels are real (which is why he was so scrutinized and draft stock fell) but I'm good with it because I do subscribe to the draft one till you got one mentality. By no means was this what I expected or what I would have done but I really can't fault the attempt.  And honestly, I'd probably say that about any QB taken anywhere because nothing else matters. The odds are against him but the odds are against every QB.

Mayock said it at one point during the draft, rounds 1-2 are for QBs because there are only a handful of guys taken past the 2nd who have given a team a run of elite type seasons.  

I kind of compare this pick to Alshon Jeffrey.  At one point the clear cut best WR prospect but a down year and some conditioning issues put the scare on teams and the Jets drafted up in the 2nd to take the hot name who was created during the draft process, Stephen Hill instead of Jeffery. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

He was the #1 High School prospect in the land and at one point was the #1 NFL prospect in the land.  He has the highest ceiling because he always has and nothing really changed that until the typical nitpicking began.  Lynch like Goff and Wentz became hot names when all the draftniks started their annual ranking/analysis campaigns of look at me and my hot take on the "film" I watched.  

Hack has been the guy since he was 15 years old.  That really never changed until this year.  He's an exciting prospect and the warning labels are real (which is why he was so scrutinized and draft stock fell) but I'm good with it because I do subscribe to the draft one till you got one mentality. By no means was this what I expected or what I would have done but I really can't fault the attempt.  And honestly, I'd probably say that about any QB taken anywhere because nothing else matters. The odds are against him but the odds are against every QB.

Mayock said it at one point during the draft, rounds 1-2 are for QBs because there are only a handful of guys taken past the 2nd who have given a team a run of elite type seasons.  

I kind of compare this pick to Alshon Jeffrey.  At one point the clear cut best WR prospect but a down year and some conditioning issues put the scare on teams and the Jets drafted up in the 2nd to take the hot name who was created during the draft process, Stephen Hill instead of Jeffery. 

Great F'n post, JiF gets it!

2 hours ago, bassmaster2 said:

Let's give the QB a chance to play before the Jets fans kill him , the Jets need a QB in the worst way maybe he the next great QB who knows , no one can predict the furture , Fitz sucks he proved it in the Bills game. 

Literally laughed out load reading this.

If the Bills game proves that "Fitz sucks" then what do you think Hackenberg has proven in the last two years?

You can sort of see that a lot of effort is being made by the people trying to be optimistic about this pick.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

The fact that Mac worked for the Texans where Bill O'Brien was the HC and Hack's HC with Penn st must have factored into drafting him.. Also the Jet staff went to see Hack on Pro day and came away impressed..Time will tell if Mac was right on Hack or was really on the wrong track..;)

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The fact that Mac worked for the Texans where Bill O'Brien was the HC and Hack's HC with Penn st must have factored into drafting him.

I keep seeing this, and I don't get it. Myabe you are being sarcastic, but I just don't see why in the one year they worked together they would have discussed a player who was not even draftable? Seems rather random. This year they are enemies, so I don't see how they hell they could have the discussion this offseason.

22 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I keep seeing this, and I don't get it. Myabe you are being sarcastic, but I just don't see why in the one year they worked together they would have discussed a player who was not even draftable? Seems rather random. This year they are enemies, so I don't see how they hell they could have the discussion this offseason.

I said they may have had a QB conversation when they were together with the Texans.. BTW Fitz said he learned more about his position in 1 year from Bill O'Brien then he did in all his time before..  http://247sports.com/Bolt/Ryan-Fitzpatrick-praises-Bill-OBrien-and-Texans-coaching-staff-38939186

2 hours ago, jetrider said:

This is the same Jordan Palmer who couldn't hold a job on any QB depth chart for the six teams that dumped him in six short years?

Don't the Jets do similar homework/evaluation for every player they sign? The success rate is what it is.

Thing is Palmer is the one Hack has bin working with. As far as being able to lach on with a team it has nothing to do with his ability to work with QB's and help prepare them for the next level. Have no knowledge as to how good he is at it. That said it is what he is doing and his opinion carries some weight.

55 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

The Jets' top football man has been eyeing the Penn State passer for months, according to one scouting source. It probably goes back even further. Maccagnan and Hackenberg's first college coach, Bill O'Brien, overlapped for a year with the Houston Texans. You have to be naive to think that Hackenberg's name didn't come up in conversation around the water cooler. Hackenberg played his best ball for O'Brien, in 2013, so you have to assume he praised him in discussions with Maccagnan.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60175/jets-gm-stakes-his-reputation-to-polarizing-qb-christian-hackenberg

Just now, C Mart said:

The Jets' top football man has been eyeing the Penn State passer for months, according to one scouting source. It probably goes back even further. Maccagnan and Hackenberg's first college coach, Bill O'Brien, overlapped for a year with the Houston Texans. You have to be naive to think that Hackenberg's name didn't come up in conversation around the water cooler. Hackenberg played his best ball for O'Brien, in 2013, so you have to assume he praised him in discussions with Maccagnan.

OK, just seems kind of random to me, but whatevs....

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

you don't think the Dir of College Scouting wouldn't go to a highly regarded QB prospects HC to bend his ear? Yes, it may be a couple of years before he's draft eligible but that's what these scouts do...They look into the future..And you don't think that while Mcc or one of his scouts were at a PSU game Hackenberg's freshman year they didn't notice CH while scouting other players for that years draft?

Just now, Irish Jet said:

I give it 18 months before you absolutely despise this kid.

Hard pressed to despise NFL rookies basically kids who made it to the NFL 

Easier to dislike journeyman bums who have been with many NFL teams and have accomplished nothing in the NFL 

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Hey Mac traded for Fitz who was with the Texans 1 year, guys on the staff coaching or scouting do have conversations with each other about many things..You don't think it may have been brought up to Mac that O'Brien may have said; I think Hack can make it in the Pro's he showed me ability when I had him but the program at Penn St now is in the toilet?? Then Mac and company liked what they saw at Pro day with Hack??

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hard pressed to despise NFL rookies basically kids who made it to the NFL 

Easier to dislike journeyman bums who have been with many NFL teams and have accomplished nothing in the NFL 

18 months. I wont forget.

16 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Wow, so the guy Hackenberg paid to fix him thinks he's fixed? Was his QB coach not available to give a scouting report? What about his high school teammates? His mom maybe?

We need negative guys like you....not. No wonder you have a drunken slob cartoon character for an icon. The report was a positive take on Hack and if he is successful you'll be eating your words.

3 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Im not trying to be difficult, but do we really think in their one year together, they spent time speaking about Christian Hackenberg? I just don't get why, he wasnt a draft option before this year, so I just don't see why this would come up. Not saying it didnt, and if it was said somehwere that they spoke about him, I missed it and I am wrong, but short of that, I don't see why any discussion of Hackenberg between these two makes a lot of sense.

First, I'd be surprised if they never did. Maccagnan's job was to scout teams and I can't believe he'd simply skip out on PSU and never talk about the players on that team with his HC, most notably the QB, mere months after he was last coaching them. I'd say there's even a good chance he called him up asking his opinion again (after it was obvious Houston wasn't going to take him after bringing in Osweiller). Unless they're mortal enemies or never got along or something. Hard to imagine Maccagnan not getting along with anyone, though.

Archived