Inside Christian Hackenberg's exhaustive NFL prep: He's 'a slam dunk'

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Tru dat!! How dare dese mofos try to look for a positive spin on a drafted QB for the Jets!!! Don't dese dumb mofos understand what being a Jet fan is all about? Thanks to you and @dbatesman for clearing things up for us and putting us in our place with the right perspective n all that kind of stuff.

Were I the one playing preemptive thread police, or offering any concern about what others think about the pick, instead of the reverse, this nonsense might be meaningful...

oh well

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First, I'd be surprised if they never did. Maccagnan's job was to scout teams and I can't believe he'd simply skip out on PSU and never talk about the players on that team with his HC, most notably the QB, mere months after he was last coaching them. I'd say there's even a good chance he called him up asking his opinion again (after it was obvious Houston wasn't going to take him after bringing in Osweiller). Unless they're mortal enemies or never got along or something. Hard to imagine Maccagnan not getting along with anyone, though.

"shrugs" I guess its possible.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Were I the one playing preemptive thread police, or offering any concern about what others think about the pick, instead of the reverse, this nonsense might be meaningful...

oh well

Hmmmm, not exactly sure what this blabbering is supposed to mean, but werd!

Seems like Maccagnan likes developmental QBs will all the tools.  Make sense he would prefer Hackenberg to Cook.  The guys they have brought in have big arms and all the tools.  Petty seems to have a pretty big arm, Hackenberg.  Even Heaps was physically all there.   I think Heaps and Hackenberg were the top HS QBs in the country their respective years.  The vets he brings in are another story.  Fitzpatrick is limited, Flynn and Hoyer aren't very physically imposing either.  It will be interesting which one Gailey and Bowles choose to work with.  If you believe all the QB whisperer sh*t, you'd think Gailey would be happy with these three, but they will probably bring in a mid-tier vet scrub like Hoyer or FItzpatrick.

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems like Maccagnan likes developmental QBs will all the tools.  Make sense he would prefer Hackenberg to Cook.  The guys they have brought in have big arms and all the tools.  Petty seems to have a pretty big arm, Hackenberg.  Even Heaps was physically all there.   I think Heaps and Hackenberg were the top HS QBs in the country their respective years.  The vets he brings in are another story.  Fitzpatrick is limited, Flynn and Hoyer aren't very physically imposing either.  It will be interesting which one Gailey and Bowles choose to work with.  If you believe all the QB whisperer sh*t, you'd think Gailey would be happy with these three, but they will probably bring in a mid-tier vet scrub like Hoyer or FItzpatrick.

Hoyer has already signed with the Bears.

Fitz will be back, like the terminator he is.

31 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Hoyer has already signed with the Bears.

Fitz will be back, like the terminator he is.

Haven't kept track, but I am thankful. Was talking about a type more than a specific dude.  At this point, I kind of hope that they save the $8-10M and just roll with these stiffs.

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Because I want to know what you think  of the player .

I think he's smart, has all the tools, and while he certainly has his flaws, in the right circumstances can be the QB for a winner (and not merely a winner that is able to scheme around & hide his ineptitude).

From all of the stuff I have read about Hackenberg over the last few days, what stands out more than anything to me is the kids work ethic.  This kid WANTS to get better and WANTS to achieve his maximum potential and seems very determined and focused to become a productive NFL QB.  Lets hope he, with the help of the Jets staff, can put it all together and become a legit franchise QB.  And if he doesn't, it wont be for lack of trying. 

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think he's smart, has all the tools, and while he certainly has his flaws, in the right circumstances can be the QB for a winner (and not merely a winner that is able to scheme around & hide his ineptitude).

Actually, he reminds me of Roethlisberger. Even if he's half that good, I think we have our franchise QB.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was more concerned with 16 mil-a-year Revis being unable to cover anything and getting burned all day long by a bad QB, WR's dropping easy catches that would have won the game and both our RB's, on who the O depended, being hurt.

Still, I'll take a 31TD, 4,000 Yard, 10 win year every year if I can get it, and bank that whomever is putting up those numbers will win that Bills game next time.....if the entire team doesn't let him down again.  Be it Fitz, or some potential eventual Hack.

Don't know how many yards Revis was responsible in that game but know that the entire defense gave up only 185 or so yards through the air.

As easy as it is to blame Revis due to what he makes, he didn't cost us the game.  I'll sign up for 185 in the air every week of 2016 right now. 

I want Fitz back, even with his poor game in week 17.  He know the O, had success and is a great model for our young guys.  

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Thank you .  Appreciate the insight . If I may, what do you think of Peyton ? Not the one from the last few yrs, but the Indy Peyton .

On 5/1/2016 at 9:11 PM, BowlesMovement said:

I know right! I mean who does this schmelkingberg think he is getting people to say good things about him!! F him and the horse he road in on, cuz da Iz di int pick him!

il_fullxfull.908366544_ktvz.jpg

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems like Maccagnan likes developmental QBs will all the tools.  Make sense he would prefer Hackenberg to Cook.  The guys they have brought in have big arms and all the tools.  Petty seems to have a pretty big arm, Hackenberg.  Even Heaps was physically all there.  

Tom Savage fits this mold as well

• 7 months later...
On 4/30/2016 at 9:29 PM, Jet in PA said:

NFL Draft 2016: Jets did homework on Hackenberg others didn't; now it's his turn to repay them

Christian Hackenberg has regressed from a quarterback projected in September 2014 by some folks as a possible No. 1 overall pick in this NFL Draft to disparaged by some much more recently as not worth drafting at all.

He has taken steps back for reasons we've discussed ad nauseam. Well, actually some people obsessed more with metrics and tape clips than actually watching whole games think there aren't any valid reasons. I've stated many times that Penn State's chronic offensive line dysfunction and an ill-suited coaching staff the last two years mean everything and have led to mistakes, bad footwork and subsequent inaccuracy that cannot be explained when taken out of their context.

Some people who look at tape do not recognize that gradual regression because they have not been here to witness it in person and feel all the forces at work. They see only many individual gaffes for which they cannot rationalize.

I can. I believe there's still a starting NFL quarterback locked inside Hackenberg. But I also believed he needed the right place and people around him to make that happen. There is maintenance to be done and anyone who must do it while in the NFL must be a very quick study. Hackenberg needed a little time and space.

Laremy Tunsil's bong video is college football reality

In the New York Jets, he should get at least a little bit of that time and the right people to nurture his game back to health. It could have gone the other way very easily with any of 20 or more franchises. But Hackenberg was fortunate enough to land in a good situation for him in New York. I ranked the Jets as his fifth-best possible landing spot a couple of weeks ago. I'm not going to say if he can't make it there, he can't make it anywhere. But his draft by the Jets with the 51st overall pick on Friday night is going to give him a shot.

In head coach Todd Bowles, the Jets have an accomplished defensive mind who pretty much leaves the ball-side scheming to low-ego, 64-year-old coordinator Chan Gailey, a two-time NFL head coach himself (Dallas, Buffao), though not an accomplished one.

But, as an OC, Gailey has been very good with young and marginal quarterbacks, particularly rehab jobs. Ryan Fitzpatrick progressed last year under his tutelage after struggling at times with the Texans under Bill O'Brien. Granted, the Texans had a lot fewer weapons for Fitzpatrick to use than the Jets have. More on that in a minute.

Gailey also was the man behind the remarkable one-shot ascent of Kordell Stewart when the Steelers went to the AFC championship in 1997 under Bill Cowher. When Gailey left, Stewart's career imploded.

There were also stints under Dave Wannstedt with the Dolphins and Herman Edwards with the Chiefs where Gailey was given extremely limited resources (Jay Fiedler in Miami, Tyler Thigpen in Kansas City).

Farther back, Gailey was quarterback coach for a young John Elway under Dan Reaves with the Broncos in the late '80s, a tenure that didn't go well but also is so long ago it hardly matters.

NFL Draft: Where Hackenberg ranks among Big Ten QBs

If you see a pattern here, it's that Gailey has almost always worked under defensive-minded head coaches and encouraged to run modest offenses. But he's adaptable. Since the Cowher days, he's jettisoned power ground stuff and run a rather basic spread offense where the O-line usually gets extra help in protection and the field stretches are mainly horizontal. Though it's not as much fun for the OC, that's not necessarily a bad thing for Hackenberg who won't be overloaded with endless super-genius variations as he might under an offensive-whiz head coach.

The QB coach is Kevin Patullo, a young 7-year NFL assistant who's worked extensively with Gailey at two prior stops in Kansas City and Buffalo.

About that weaponry: Hackenberg could not ask for a better squadron of disparate receivers who mesh together. In big, strong Brandon Marshall and 6-3 slot man Eric Decker, the Jets have a pair of proven Velcro guys with uncommon size. Put it in the area code and they go get it. In Ohio State grad Devin Smith, who under-performed last year then tore his ACL, they have a race car who can potentially stretch defenses if he comes around. The Jets spent the 37th overall pick on him last year, so they expect him to.

The offensive line performed very well a year ago – top 10 in both pass protection and run production – but there are some questions. It is getting old. Mainstay left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson retired three weeks ago. Seven-time Pro Bowler center Nick Mangold is graying. The Jets did not address those OL needs in the Draft on Thursday or Friday, taking outside linebackers Darron Lee (Ohio State) and Jordan Jenkins (Georgia) on either side of Hackenberg in the first and third rounds.

And then there's the nagging concern of Fitzpatrick and his contract impasse. He's holding out of OTAs and reportedly has not been in contact with GM Mike Maccagnan in a couple of weeks.

Of course, that can only get Hackenberg and would-be back-up Bryce Petty more work in the meantime. And with Hackenberg's draft in round 2, it appears the Geno Smith Era is over.

There is a reason the Jets believe in this pick. They have been interested in Hackenberg for a couple of years and clearly think they see something peripheral analysts do not. Maccagnan and director of college scouting Rex Hogan both attended PSU's pro day in State College last month and, by all accounts, Hackenberg threw the hell out of the ball as they watched.

What the Jets personnel saw presumably did not open their eyes but merely confirmed what they sensed was there all along. They've shown their faith. Now, it's Hackenberg's turn to validate it.

DAVID JONES: djones@pennlive.com

I am bumping up this thread because so many of us are quick to forget that Hack, if given the chance and improves for real, can be our franchise QB.

That Jets including Bowles and Mac went out and had a secret viewing of Hackenberg and thought that he was real deal.  

Some of us thought that Hack was going to the pick and we have to let Bowles have a chnce to get the guy under center whom he truly believes in!!! :) 

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I am bumping up this thread because so many of us are quick to forget that Hack, if given the chance and improves for real, can be our franchise QB.

That Jets including Bowles and Mac went out and had a secret viewing of Hackenberg and thought that he was real deal.  

Some of us thought that Hack was going to the pick and we have to let Bowles have a chnce to get the guy under center whom he truly believes in!!! :) 

So after all we've seen in 2016 you still trust Bowles and Macc.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So after all we've seen in 2016 you still trust Bowles and Macc.

In truth I was so disturbed by the current state of affairs that I had to step back see what the Jets were thinking during the off-season. The key is the Jets were clearly looking at Fitz as a hold the fort QB and then were putting all their chips in with Hack and then Petty being a wild card.

This is important, just because Fitz didn't play as well as supposed and the defensive players have gotten old in key positions (Revis) doesn't mean we should throw them out yet....

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

In truth I was so disturbed by the current state of affairs that I had to step back see what the Jets were thinking during the off-season. The key is the Jets were clearly looking at Fitz as a hold the fort QB and then were putting all their chips in with Hack and then Petty being a wild card.

This is important, just because Fitz didn't play as well as supposed and the defensive players have gotten old in key positions (Revis) doesn't mean we should throw them out yet....

Ryan Fitzpatrick did what he's done for the last 10 years in the NFL on 5 different teams, why did Macc and Bowles expect any different. 

Neither has what it takes to win us a Super Bowl. 

3 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Geno....LOL

Probably the worst QB in Jet history, maybe NFL history...

I can understand why you, a closet Pats fan loves him tho

What did Ryan Fitzpatrick win for us?   

NE is a damn good football team well coached and managed. 

You should try coming out of the closet it might help you post better here. 

What did Ryan Fitzpatrick win for us?   
NE is a damn good football team well coached and managed. 
You should try coming out of the closet it might help you post better here. 

You should fess up and admit your diehard love for Belidick, Fagboy, Gronk and your New England Cheaters.

Nobody is buying your baloney about being a Jet fan. Change your user name to Patsfan JW and be done with it

1 minute ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

You should fess up and admit your diehard love for Belidick, Fagboy, Gronk and your New England Cheaters.

Nobody is buying your baloney about being a Jet fan. Change your user name to Patsfan JW and be done with it

WRONG again as usual. 

Sadly fans like you exist and post on this message board. 

Archived