Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

1 hour ago, Jetmech said:

This time last year Cook was considered a top 3 pick by many and look at him now. I believe Wentz was considered in the next tier yet he gets picked second...

You never know we these QB's...

August of 2015 Hackenberg was mocked as the first overall pick in just about every way to early mock drafts.  Just like Watson is now.

27 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Agreed. Stats don't tell the full story with this guy.

christian-hackenberg-hits-guy-on-sidelin

tt0llY9.gif

INT_9.0.gif

Miss.gif

Hack-Pick-Six.gif

HASHTAG FRANCHISE

First clip he was being hit and threw it away. A SMART football play. Two of those were just great coverage. The others? Every QB makes mistakes sometimes.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, elgoman said:

QBs drafted in the late 2nd, with small hands, below 60% completion and low Adjusted Yards per Attempt numbers have historically never become real franchise QBs. The only statistical franchise QB trait Hackenberg possesses is his #1 recruit status. Is that enough?

Again, the stats are usually a pretty decent indicator, but sometimes they lie.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Pats would never take a QB who barely completes half of his passes.

Hackenberg smelled to me like exactly the kind of pick Belichick would have made. And walked away from in a heartbeat if he didn't pan out. got to be something of a contrarian to succeed in this or any business. Happy with Hack!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Again, the stats are usually a pretty decent indicator, but sometimes they lie.

In this case the chance the stats are lying is very low. The number of modern franchise QBs who performed like Hackenberg, were drafted where he was, with small hands, etc is virtually 0. Every other QB on our roster, Geno and Petty both, have a higher statistical chance of being franchise QBs than Hackenberg does.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

3 minutes ago, elgoman said:

In this case the chance the stats are lying is very low. The #1 of modern franchise QBs who performed like Hackenberg is like 1.

No, it's actually pretty high. He makes the right reads and the right audibles. His supporting cast just constantly had him under pressure, and his receivers were rarely where they were supposed to be. Did he have some bad throws? Sure, every QB does.

7 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

First clip he was being hit and threw it away. A SMART football play. Two of those were just great coverage. The others? Every QB makes mistakes sometimes.

You know what? You're absolutely right. You know what else? Was O.J. really that bad of a guy? Everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes the glove lies.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, elgoman said:

In this case the chance the stats are lying is very low. The number of modern franchise QBs who performed like Hackenberg, were drafted where he was, with small hands, etc is virtually 0. Every other QB on our roster, Geno and Petty both, have a higher statistical chance of being franchise QBs than Hackenberg does.

Geno missed throws because he was inaccurate. Hack missed them because he was usually being hit.

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

You know what? You're absolutely right. You know what else? Was O.J. really that bad of a guy? Everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes the glove lies.

We all know the glove didn't fit, stop lying to yourself

#freeOJ

• Thumb Down 1

38 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

tt0llY9.gif

INT_9.0.gif

Miss.gif

Hack-Pick-Six.gif

HASHTAG FRANCHISE

Cant really argue with this. 

Precisely why this guy shouldnt see a professional football field for atleast a year. Im okay with the pick though, because mentally he has it. For all the things we've said about Chan Gailey, we'll most certainly need him to develop this kid. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Cant really argue with this. 

Precisely why this guy shouldnt see a professional football field for atleast a year. Im okay with the pick though, because mentally he has it. For all the things we've said about Chan Gailey, we'll most certainly need him to develop this kid. 

I can show you clips of Brady and Manning making two bad throws.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

So, Hackenberg is the Jets franchise QB for years to come without even taking 1 snap in the NFL?

It must be April.

He is also crap; just like the rest of the draft; people will be discussing how everyone is a either the next HOF player or a total bust - now comes the really long period with just a few OTAs to keep us occupied for another 3 months ...

28 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

tt0llY9.gif

INT_9.0.gif

Miss.gif

Hack-Pick-Six.gif

HASHTAG FRANCHISE

Its just as easy to pull up a few gifs of Hack going through his progression, making beautiful reads and executing the throw. And it is even easier to pull up film of the offensive line completely falling apart on him.

I would bet his learning curve will be even shorter than expected b/c he's already been working on his footwork and release which showed at his pro day and a big reason why the Jets were so impressed. He may not get a shot to play this season, but it probably won't be because he's not ready. I expect him to get a grasp of the offense fairly quickly and his footwork isn't that bad when he's under center (rather than in shotgun).

Hacks hand size is fine. Gimme a break.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

No, it's actually pretty high. He makes the right reads and the right audibles. His supporting cast just constantly had him under pressure, and good receivers were rarely where they were supposed to be. Did he have some bad throws? Sure, every QB does.

Hackenberg makes good reads presnap but that is only half the battle in the NFL. Most backups can make good presnap reads; what separates them is postsnap, execution and playmaking ability. Hackenberg fails in these respects. Even when he wasn't under pressure Hackenberg missed throws. When he was under pressure he basically fell apart. That's not what NFL QBs do.

12 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Geno missed throws because he was inaccurate. Hack missed them because he was usually being hit.

This isn't right. While Geno only had middling ball placement (some of that we see now was just footwork issues), he was more accurate than Hackenberg at most every area of the field. Hackenberg missed throws not because of pressure, but because he was inaccurate and couldn't make time in the pocket.

51 minutes ago, King P said:

Cal's O-Line was even worse than PSU's, and Goff did just fine.

Love how all the excuses are rolling in for Hackenberg. I'll assume this is just posters trying desperately to talk themselves into this pick

What was Goff's win \ loss record as a starter?

Not everyone hates the pick. Mac has spent his life watching and evaluating football talent. He likes the pick obviously.

• Upvote 2

the guy went to penn state specifically for bill o'brien's tutelage.  as a freshman running the patriots offense, he completed 59% of his passes for 20 tds and 10 picks, while doing all the presnap reads, etc. that are required in the nfl.  as a freshman, he was leaps and bounds ahead of where paxton lynch will be, nfl iq wise, in 2 years.  the guy was made for a pro offense.  if you put lynch in that type of offense in college his stats would likely have suffered.  

2 key things to developing qbs in the nfl are coaching and scheme fit.  the jets failed at coaching offensive players under rex, tanny and idzik, so no qbs had a fighter's chance to succeed.  this regime at least has a plan in place on how to coach.  they drafted petty knowing he was a major project b/c he was coming out of the same type of simple offense that lynch ran.  hack could conceivably be starting by the end of 2016.  anyone who read the article on what he's been doing this offseason knows he's been breaking down nfl film hours a day, scouting reports, etc. of jordan palmer's brother's games.  the guy is not only supremely talented (go watch 2013 penn state highlights, looks like andrew luck), he is supremely motivated.  this is the first time i can remember the jets actually drafted a qb who 1) has elite physical tools, 2) has the work ethic (based on early indications), and 3) isn't an idiot.  i wouldn't be surprised if there are whispers in training camp that he's mastered the offense better than geno and petty by the start of the season.  he's had a headstart, even after the past two years where he clearly should have transfered.

• Upvote 1

Ok, now we're on the other extreme.  This usually happens with the draft, go from why the heck did we pick Jalen Saunders to I think we have our version of Devin Hester in a few days.   

Hackenberg has potential, but right now, that's all he has.  He needs to work on touch, footwork, a new system, and forgetting some of the bad habits he learned at PSU before he becomes a starting QB let alone a franchise QB.  These things take time, he doesn't spend 3 weeks learning to forget what he has done for two years and suddenly become Russel Wilson.  He was projected to be a No. 1 pick, not if he comes out now, I would take him No. 1.  Those projections were made under the assumption that he was going to progress under O'Brien and correct some mistakes.  Not only did he not progress, he regressed, alas why even picking him in the second was so highly frowned upon.  Our best case scenario is that he comes back to his progression level as a freshman, and then we take the time to develop him in a way that James Franklin did not at PSU.  

To me, this is a Year 2 pick.  If he progresses, then top tier QB prospect.  If not, hello to first round QB next year.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

At college level, sure you might find a few, but I don't think it's a game you want to play.

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Its just as easy to pull up a few gifs of Hack going through his progression, making beautiful reads and executing the throw. And it is even easier to pull up film of the offensive line completely falling apart on him.

I would bet his learning curve will be even shorter than expected b/c he's already been working on his footwork and release which showed at his pro day and a big reason why the Jets were so impressed. He may not get a shot to play this season, but it probably won't be because he's not ready. I expect him to get a grasp of the offense fairly quickly and his footwork isn't that bad when he's under center (rather than in shotgun).

Hacks hand size is fine. Gimme a break.

It certainly isn't just as easy, but yes there's good to go with the bad. 

He isn't ready to play. Or anywhere close. 

7 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Sure you can show Brady and Manning making bad throws, but what you cant show is Brady/Manning having 3 consecutive years of declining completion percentage with the highest being 59%

I dont know why you feel the need to damage control by responding to everyone who doesnt think that this is a great pick. Its a good pick, but its mostly based on the fact that his mind is great when it comes to processing whats happening on the field quickly presnap.....but even with that the guy has issues once the ball is snapped. 

You can acknowledge that without resorting to damage controlling and talking about bad clips of Brady/Manning....because I bet if those GIF's were of Geno Smith I highly doubt I'd see you running to justify those GIF's. 

There's a difference between supporting your position and damage controlling. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

At college level, sure you might find a few, but I don't think it's a game you want to play.

It certainly isn't just as easy, but yes there's good to go with the bad. 

He isn't ready to play. Or anywhere close. 

You're right. It's EASIER to find plays where he makes the perfect read.