Hackenberg & Petty

jett

Does anyone think the Hackenberg pick was because of their (lack of) belief in Petty? Or they just fell in love with Hackenberg and couldn't resist. I think since he believes in picking a QB every year I'd say it's not an indictment on Petty.  That even if Petty showed a ton of potential, he still hasn't proven anything and he would have still picked him. I know a lot of people don't like picking qbs every year and especially when they are considered projects, but I love it. Take them all in my opinion.  One of them will eventually be good right? 

What do you guys think this pick means for Petty. They don't believe in him? They didn't like what they saw? Or just another potential quarterback. 

More competition.  I guess they may feel Petty could be a longer term development and Hackenberg they believe has a very short turnaround from a development standpoint maybe.  I don't see them giving up on Petty yet though.

I don't think this is any indictment on Petty. He was a 4th round pick. It would be silly for them to think their 4th round pick would be the franchise quarterback since it is so rare.

I have no problem with the Hackenberg pick. I thought it was smarter taking a gamble on him in the second round than drafting Lynch in the first. 

11 minutes ago, jett said:

Does anyone think the Hackenberg pick was because of their (lack of) belief in Petty? Or they just fell in love with Hackenberg and couldn't resist. I think since he believes in picking a QB every year I'd say it's not an indictment on Petty.  That even if Petty showed a ton of potential, he still hasn't proven anything and he would have still picked him. I know a lot of people don't like picking qbs every year and especially when they are considered projects, but I love it. Take them all in my opinion.  One of them will eventually be good right? 

What do you guys think this pick means for Petty. They don't believe in him? They didn't like what they saw? Or just another potential quarterback. 

I think it means we have a smart GM.

He knows that our chances of having a QB prospect become a franchise QB just doubled. 

No harm in taking a QB every year until you strike gold. This year's pick came in second round. Though it was a little bit early for my taste, I won't knock Mac for this pick. Maybe not the place but I hated Jets fans more this year than any other year. I am not a Mac/Bowles homer and I learned my lesson hard. I won't praise any GM/Coach combo until I see the sustained success. That said, I won't kill them for any pick they made during the draft. We are armchair GM's here. Win or lose, we will still go to our miserable jobs and enjoy being armchair GM's year after year. These guys know they will be gone if they don't make the right choices in short term. I am seeing a lot of negativity towards Mac for the pick he did or he didn't. Cool down Jet fans. Give the men some breathing room. If they don't achieve, we will have a lot of time to sh*t on them. 

Petty was an old rookie and Hackenberg is actually a young one. There is a 4 year difference.

Dont know if indictment of Petty, but Hackenberg is on a different developmental track than Petty.

If Fitz signs, I think Geno and Petty will be fighting for a roster spot, if they had belief in Petty they would have waited for the 3rd round to take another project QB, Hack was a desperate reach (Mac let his emotions get in the way), hope it works out

I know Petty went to the hockey game with Decker, Mangold and Fitz but Faneca was at dinner with Mangold when he was cut for big ugly

The new York Jets have 3 young QBs on the roster but only 1 with actual NFL playing time experience . Smith is 25, Petty is 24 and Hackenberg is 21  .  Even if we should resign Fitzpatrick, one of these players should end up on injured reserve unless we can work out a trade for either Petty or Smith . 

17 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

If Fitz signs, I think Geno and Petty will be fighting for a roster spot, if they had belief in Petty they would have waited for the 3rd round to take another project QB, Hack was a desperate reach (Mac let his emotions get in the way), hope it works out

I know Petty went to the hockey game with Decker, Mangold and Fitz but Faneca was at dinner with Mangold when he was cut for big ugly

Hackenberg may not work out, but it was anything but a 'desperate reach.' The Jets scouts, coaching staff and GM all studied this guy for months, gave him a personal workout, and had clearly reached a consensus that he was the pick they wanted. They let Lynch pass by, which would have been the desperation reach, and took Hackenberg with a late second because they weren't going to let him dangle late into the third. Not to mention that Mac was a director of scouting, so he certainly was in play in making his own assessment. LIke it or hate it, it was a quick, decisive pick that indicated they had no doubts about who they wanted.

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Hackenberg may not work out, but it was anything but a 'desperate reach.' The Jets scouts, coaching staff and GM all studied this guy for months, gave him a personal workout, and had clearly reached a consensus that he was the pick they wanted. They let Lynch pass by, which would have been the desperation reach, and took Hackenberg with a late second because they weren't going to let him dangle late into the third. Not to mention that Mac was a director of scouting, so he certainly was in play in making his own assessment. LIke it or hate it, it was a quick, decisive pick that indicated they had no doubts about who they wanted.

Ok, so if Fitz signed the offer 2 months ago, do you think Hack is still the pick in the 2nd?

I think Petty was more of a number two when he was drafted I don't know that he was ever the long term plan. I do think that if Hack comes along in camp and the coaching staff is comfortable we probably won't draft a QB high again. He's the first one we've drafted in a while that can be a star from the neck up and the neck down. It is very possible that in the future Hack will be the number one with Petty as the two. I love Petty as a person and both of them seem to be leaders. It's just hard to develop a QB for the future when he has to sit for two+ years and is already pretty old.

Just play either this year at this point. There's no sitting and developing anymore in the league...teams barely practice with pads on anymore. The amount of real reps backups get is minimal. The NFL needs a developmental league...

Just now, Matt39 said:

Just play either this year at this point. There's no sitting and developing anymore in the league...teams barely practice with pads on anymore. The amount of real reps backups get is minimal. The NFL needs a developmental league...

In my opinion, instead of playing actual live games in Europe, why not have a developmental league there like when they had NFL Europe? The NFL gets to expand and young players have a chance to develop. Some high profile rookies would actually have a chance to develop and may draw the interest of NFL fans in Europe. Seems like a win-win. 

35 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The new York Jets have 3 young QBs on the roster but only 1 with actual NFL playing time experience . Smith is 25, Petty is 24 and Hackenberg is 21  .  Even if we should resign Fitzpatrick, one of these players should end up on injured reserve unless we can work out a trade for either Petty or Smith . 

If we resign Fitz, I'd keep Geno (cheap experienced back up still on rookie contract) and Petty as the Top 3 QBS active & IR Hackenberg.

If his mechanics & footwork are as "BAD" as analysts state, let alone OMNISCIENT Jets Nation message board forum posters, there's no reason for him to even SNIFF the field and make him Redshirt his rookie year. Let the rookie work the entire year working out the kinks and let his body recover from the blows he's absorbed the last 2 years and let him RIP in 2017 and compete for the job. 

If Petty showed any capability of being the starter in the immediate future, it's hard to fathom a GM willingly using the 51st overall pick on another quarterback with how many pressing needs this team has. Petty didn't look particularly impressive last year and if the franchise was that high on him going into 2016 I think we would have heard about it by now.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If Petty showed any capability of being the starter in the immediate future, it's hard to fathom a GM willingly using the 51st overall pick on him. Petty didn't look particularly impressive last year and if the franchise was that high on him going into 2016 I think we would have heard about it by now.

Link:

Finding a backup for Fitzpatrick is a priority given his frequent struggles, and rookie Bryce Petty could be that guy. Maccagnan discussed his development in the past year since being drafted out of Baylor, and he sounds excited, yet wary, of his potential.

"We're really excited about working with Bryce this offseason, and this is going to be a very, very important offseason for him in his development," Maccagnan said. "I think he’s the type of kid who’s going to hopefully fulfill and achieve that. And we’ll get a better feel for where he’s at in the preseason next year and we’ll kind of measure that compared to where he was as a rookie to see how far he’s come along."

Smith was the backup in 2015, but the Jets didn't show much confidence in using him when needed. In fact, they elected to play with a one-handed Fitzpatrick under center rather than turning to Smith.

23 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Ok, so if Fitz signed the offer 2 months ago, do you think Hack is still the pick in the 2nd?

My .02, absolutely.  I like Fitz and would love to have him back on the roster.  That being said, you can't allow a 32 year old stopgap QB to alter your draft strategy.  They need a long term answer and Fitz isn't it.

In all honesty, I'd love to see Fitz come back and then get beaten out by any of the kids on the roster.  It'll basically mean somebody stepped up and started to produce like an NFL QB and not what we'd become accustomed to over the previous six or seven seasons.

Having Fitz means there's a QB on the roster who has proven he can execute an effective offense.  Without him, it's one guy who has been a complete disaster, and two guys who have never taken a snap in an NFL game.

5 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Link:

Finding a backup for Fitzpatrick is a priority given his frequent struggles, and rookie Bryce Petty could be that guy. Maccagnan discussed his development in the past year since being drafted out of Baylor, and he sounds excited, yet wary, of his potential.

"We're really excited about working with Bryce this offseason, and this is going to be a very, very important offseason for him in his development," Maccagnan said. "I think he’s the type of kid who’s going to hopefully fulfill and achieve that. And we’ll get a better feel for where he’s at in the preseason next year and we’ll kind of measure that compared to where he was as a rookie to see how far he’s come along."

Smith was the backup in 2015, but the Jets didn't show much confidence in using him when needed. In fact, they elected to play with a one-handed Fitzpatrick under center rather than turning to Smith.

So pretty much what Warner Bros is saying about Zack Snyder right now.

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You don't sit as a matter of course anymore. That is true, but if you're not ready then it is detrimental for everyone. Sanchez and Geno were not ready. Maybe they never would have been, but if you have to dumb down the offense, and make them play safe then it will stunt their growth, and kill their confidence. 

They need a command of the offense, and need to build muscle memory so they can think about what they're seeing, and not about the play, or their mechanics.

Either Petty or Hack may be ready by week 1, or 8 or next year. I say we let them play preseason and allow their play to dictate who is going to start. 

1 hour ago, jett said:

Before the draft Mac said he felt that Petty could develop into a good backup. I think that about sums it all up.

2 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Petty and Hackenberg are both lotto tickets.  And so is every other QB you pick out of the 1st round.

So you are saying Jet's needed to pick him in the first round and he would stand a chance? Have been plenty of first round QB's that were busts. Draft is a crapshoot all you can do is try and make an educated guess. Will give front office pro's the benefit of being able to make that decision

31 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

So you are saying Jet's needed to pick him in the first round and he would stand a chance? Have been plenty of first round QB's that were busts. Draft is a crapshoot all you can do is try and make an educated guess. Will give front office pro's the benefit of being able to make that decision

I mean more like guys you pick in the top 10 are guys you are investing majorly into and expect some return.  Otherwise picking a QB is basically a lotto ticket.  You don't expect him to be a star, you just hope he'll figure it out

32 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yes, if they see him as their future franchise. QB's always get drafted higher than their board value.

Point taken, and I appreciate the consistantcy :) Cimini just posted a similar view

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60175/jets-gm-stakes-his-reputation-to-polarizing-qb-christian-hackenberg

I am just struggling to believe this was a calculated decision, Hack was a deer in the headlights QB in every OSU/PSU game I watched, 10 minutes of decent play in 3 games,  Clearly Mac knows more then I do, so let's hope he is right, Go Jets! 

2 hours ago, jett said:

Nope.

Not at all.

Everyone, except the a portion of our fanbase, expected Petty to be a multi-year project. Most college QBs take a couple years. The ones that never spend any time in a pro-style offense take even longer.

I think the Hackenberg selection is just like the Petty selection, but perhaps they don't envision Hack needing as long. Meaning, by next year they'll have true competition and a choice of Petty or Hack. If all goes as planned, one of them emerges. If we get really lucky, they'll both be good. If not, then it only cost us a 2nd and 4th to give TWO QBs a shot at making it.

It's sort of a moneyball concept. 

I say it all the time... QBs are currency in this league. With the concussion protocol being what it is, you absolutely have to be setup up to keep winning if your QB misses a few weeks with a concussion... rather than watching your season go down the tubes over it.

I have absolutely confidence that one, or both, of these guys is going to be a player for us. Future hall of famer? Nah... let's not get greedy... I'd settle for a home-grown winning QB that can help us win it all.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

If we resign Fitz, I'd keep Geno (cheap experienced back up still on rookie contract) and Petty as the Top 3 QBS active & IR Hackenberg.

If his mechanics & footwork are as "BAD" as analysts state, let alone OMNISCIENT Jets Nation message board forum posters, there's no reason for him to even SNIFF the field and make him Redshirt his rookie year. Let the rookie work the entire year working out the kinks and let his body recover from the blows he's absorbed the last 2 years and let him RIP in 2017 and compete for the job. 

I don't think you are allowed to IR a player simply for roster management/player development reasons.  If you have 4 healthy QB's on your roster, you either need to get rid of one or two of them or carry all 4.  Even Belichick has had to do that (when Brady was his #4 QB).  

3 hours ago, jett said:

Hackenberg is like a shiny new car but secretly has a transmission problem.  

5 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

I don't think you are allowed to IR a player simply for roster management/player development reasons.  If you have 4 healthy QB's on your roster, you either need to get rid of one or two of them or carry all 4.  Even Belichick has had to do that (when Brady was his #4 QB).  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7WnSinlodIcvbTTrhdwh

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's funny how Tannenbaum and Idzik are both morons but Maccagnan above reproach.

Had a football background and a Casserly endorsement. Casserly also should probably be put out to pasture. Maybe I'm wrong, I just get the sense we have a bunch of idiots who laugh at analytics running the show. Twitter has become a cesspool of idiocy, but you could literally follow a few of the smart ones and do a decent enough job in the draft. The Giants somehow managed to come away with a running back and tight end with upside...The Jets see offense as an annoyance. Its infuriating. Seventh round Clemson mongos dont count.

Archived