The New England Patriots select

Jetster

Christian Hackenberg

Just imagine. Now imagine everything what would have been said by the media.

I'll start: Belichick knows something we don't folks. Obviously his relationship with Bill Obrien gives him inside info on Christian. Amazing, while everyone else is sitting on their hands clamoring for the glamor picks the Patriots find their future in the 2nd round. Brilliant!

Mike Mayock

40 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Christian Hackenberg

I'll start: Belichick knows something we don't folks. Obviously his relationship with Bill Obrien gives him inside info on Christian. Amazing, while everyone else is sitting on their hands clamoring for the glamor picks the Patriots find their future in the 2nd round. Brilliant!

Mike Mayock

There is a difference between both teams, and it doesn't have anything to do with media bias .   

The Fact is the Patriots have their franchise Qb already Tom Brady, and the Jets are still searching.

The Patriots can roll the dice on a young Qb ( be patient ) because there is no pressure on that Qb to save the franchise.( even though Brady will miss the first four weeks - deflated balls)

The Jets need to find their franchise Qb some where( only Super Bowl- had a franchise Qb) , and probably the toughest position for talent evaluators to figure out.( no exact science or Brady wouldn't have lasted to the sixth round).

The Jets Gm going to be under heat until he finds that Qb.( again unfair because that position a lot of luck is involved ). 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Christian Hackenberg

Mike Mayock

So that we have a point of reference, please post what Mayock said about the Patriots selection of Brissett.  Thankee.  

Hackenburg is the definition of the ultimate wildcard. He can be an elite franchise qb for 10+ years or he will wash out of the nfl in just a few. There really is no middle ground with this guy from what I have seen. 

5 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

There is a difference between both teams, and it doesn't have anything to do with media bias .   

The Fact is the Patriots have their franchise Qb already Tom Brady, and the Jets are still searching.

The Patriots can roll the dice on a young Qb ( be patient ) because there is no pressure on that Qb to save the franchise.( even though Brady will miss the first four weeks - deflated balls)

The Jets need to find their franchise Qb some where( only Super Bowl- had a franchise Qb) , and probably the toughest position for talent evaluators to figure out.( no exact science or Brady wouldn't have lasted to the sixth round).

The Jets Gm going to be under heat until he finds that Qb.( again unfair because that position a lot of luck is involved ). 

Pressure? You make it sound like Macc is trying to be better than Gil Brandt in his heyday. Macc has to be better than Pat Kirwin, Terry Bradway, Mike Tannenbaum. Bill Parcells (most of his success was with free agents). We went 10-6 in his 1st year as GM, he needs to be given at least 3 years to evaluate. Taking Lee leads me to believe we have a GM & coach that work together and can communicate. If Mo plays next year, people are SERIOUSLY underating the 2016 defense. With speed in that 1st 15 yards from the LOS, 2nd year in the defense for Mauldin, Leo, Gilchrist, Skrine, Reilly,  3rd for Calvin, healthy Revis, the additions this year, really excited. Bring on the season.

50 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

So that we have a point of reference, please post what Mayock said about the Patriots selection of Brissett.  Thankee.  

Have no idea...just having some fun with the reactions here to Hackenberg. Cracks me up hearing all this sh*t about his footwork...blah...blah...blah. Anyone remember the footwork video that was viral after Sanchez was picked? AWESOME FOOTWORK!  Marks feet were light lightning, dude was moving through raised string blocks like a championship hopscotch player. But he can't call a play, change a play, run through a progression to save his life. But his footwork...amazing. Let's hope Chan can get Christian to move around well enough to use that arm & mind of his to slice & dice defenses.

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

Hackenburg is the definition of the ultimate wildcard. He can be an elite franchise qb for 10+ years or he will wash out of the nfl in just a few. There really is no middle ground with this guy from what I have seen. 

Which is perfect.  You give him a year to sit, you play him 1-2 years, and move on if he isn't.  This is the PERFECT way to do this.  Keep drafting them until you find the right one.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Christian Hackenberg

Mike Mayock

You would have seen endless  split screen video of Brady and Hackenberg tapping the sides of their helmets while changing up plays at the line of scrimmage.

25 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Have no idea...just having some fun with the reactions here to Hackenberg. Cracks me up hearing all this sh*t about his footwork...blah...blah...blah. Anyone remember the footwork video that was viral after Sanchez was picked? AWESOME FOOTWORK!  Marks feet were light lightning, dude was moving through raised string blocks like a championship hopscotch player. But he can't call a play, change a play, run through a progression to save his life. But his footwork...amazing. Let's hope Chan can get Christian to move around well enough to use that arm & mind of his to slice & dice defenses.

Got it.  FWIW, I agree with the thinking that if he can build off of the success he had in HS and early in is PSU career, he will be great.  If not, then you move on and he won't be the first (or last) second round pick a NFL team has wasted.  

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

And the we'd be posting how stupid they are etc etc 

How long have you been on here? Lol. If the Pats picked Hackenberg the miriad of posts on here of how we'll probably watch him carving up our defense from 2019-2027 would be epic. 

I can hear it now, "OMG, can't the Jets do anything right? Why couldn't they see he was misused? His line was awful, coaches terrible, we might as well forfeit the next 12 years to the Pats".

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Not anymore we're not . 

20 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

You would have seen endless  split screen video of Brady and Hackenberg tapping the sides of their helmets while changing up plays at the line of scrimmage.

That's too funny. Your so right, they would be going over anything that has the slightest semblance between them. For what it's worth I think college coaches do what's best for themselves, it's why you have these crazy spread offenses, with all of the changeover year to year, especially on the defensive side of the ball it's easy to exploit them. Not so in the NFL. 

So, Macc & the Jets brass took the guy with all of the measurable, NFL measurables. Guys like Russell Wilson are outliers. Brady, Brees, Rivers, Flacco, Luck,Manning, Rogers, 1st & formost are pocket QBs. Even the young guys, Carr, Bortles, Osweiller, Bridgewater, it starts in the pocket. Hackenbergs measurable are more like Phillip Rivers than Bridgewater, so his upside could be tremendous under the right tutiledge. We have to find a QB during Bradys demise. We have to.

Didn't bowels help the cardinals make it to the playoffs with three different starting qbs one season? It might be hard to understand but it is possible that we don't value the position as highly as other teams and instead are more concerned with building to our strengths. It's also possible that Chan really believes he can fix this kid and make him a solid starter. Honestly if we can get a Blake bortles or teddy bridgewater level of play out of him this will be a solid pick.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The media would cut NE more of a break on Hack because they have a franchise QB and as a result it is presumed that they know more about drafting QB than other teams. Most of the break would just be because they aren't desperate at the position.

NEP fans collectively would talk about how genius the move was and how this will be Brady's replacement. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Christian Hackenberg

Mike Mayock

This is pretty accurate and it's the same with Paxton Lynch. Every body was saying how the Jets shouldn't draft Lynch but he goes to the Broncos (albeit it's a better situation) and everyone praises the move saying Elway got it right. The fact is nobody knows until a few years pass. 

28 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's too funny. Your so right, they would be going over anything that has the slightest semblance between them. For what it's worth I think college coaches do what's best for themselves, it's why you have these crazy spread offenses, with all of the changeover year to year, especially on the defensive side of the ball it's easy to exploit them. Not so in the NFL. 

So, Macc & the Jets brass took the guy with all of the measurable, NFL measurables. Guys like Russell Wilson are outliers. Brady, Brees, Rivers, Flacco, Luck,Manning, Rogers, 1st & formost are pocket QBs. Even the young guys, Carr, Bortles, Osweiller, Bridgewater, it starts in the pocket. Hackenbergs measurable are more like Phillip Rivers than Bridgewater, so his upside could be tremendous under the right tutiledge. We have to find a QB during Bradys demise. We have to.

even goff and wentz.  they all have height.  guys like sanchez and geno start out with a reduced chance of success.

I actually liked the Qb they picked out of the 'after top 2 QB's' list.  As usual they picked who the hell they thought fits in their team with zero regard for overall ranking.  Most of their guys will be non entities.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I actually liked the Qb they picked out of the 'after top 2 QB's' list.  As usual they picked who the hell they thought fits in their team with zero regard for overall ranking.  Most of their guys will be non entities.

Agreed.  Except for Jones and maybe Thuney, all of their draft picks will be competing to make the roster only as game-day inactives.  The Patriots are no doubt hoping that at least a couple will be more competitive on the roster in 2017 and beyond.  

What are the odds that Mac knew Bellicheat had also picked O'Brien's brain on Hackenberg?

If there was a chance Belli would pounce at #60 or #78 before Jets went OTC at #83 may have forced Mac to take Hack earlier than most projected him to go?

It's all speculation at this point.... just hope he turns out to be a decent LT solution @ the QB spot

3 hours ago, AFCEastFan said:

Got it.  FWIW, I agree with the thinking that if he can build off of the success he had in HS and early in is PSU career, he will be great.  If not, then you move on and he won't be the first (or last) second round pick a NFL team has wasted.  

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What are the odds that Mac knew Bellicheat had also picked O'Brien's brain on Hackenberg?

If there was a chance Belli would pounce at #60 or #78 before Jets went OTC at #83 may have forced Mac to take Hack earlier than most projected him to go?

It's all speculation at this point.... just hope he turns out to be a decent LT solution @ the QB spot

That is certainly possible.  And while the Patriots ordinarily do not use their first pick on someone who is not expected to contribute right away, other teams couldn't rely on that usual approach to predict what they might do here since originally their first two picks were back-to-back.  

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Didn't bowels help the cardinals make it to the playoffs with three different starting qbs one season? It might be hard to understand but it is possible that we don't value the position as highly as other teams and instead are more concerned with building to our strengths. It's also possible that Chan really believes he can fix this kid and make him a solid starter. Honestly if we can get a Blake bortles or teddy bridgewater level of play out of him this will be a solid pick.

No, I think he values it as much as everyone else does.  Let's face it, he finds a franchise QB, the team wins a lot, he has a long term job.

I think there was no way he was getting one of the top 2, and he likes this kid.  Some years, you have a Flacco or Big Ben, or Rogers fall to the teens or even early 20s.  Some years, you don't.

9 hours ago, AFCEastFan said:

He couldn't have commented on a Patriot first round pick, that was taken away for cheating. 

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

I get your point but Hackenberg can't throw to the flat- he has a habit of sailing it or throwing into the turf- that footwork is important, but ur right- not in a vacuum

10 hours ago, David Harris said:

I get your point but Hackenberg can't throw to the flat- he has a habit of sailing it or throwing into the turf- that footwork is important, but ur right- not in a vacuum

Not having to shoulder the load initially allows Christian to focus on the coaching he'll be given & through repetition allow him to work on his feet regarding each and every type of throw. I'm sure if he has trouble in the flat it's the 1st thing they'll work on with him. That's the problem with college coaching, Obrien comes from the Patriots (with Belichick they are incredibly detailed teachers), he leaves & now it's the offense that matters not "how you get it done". I'm pretty sure the new offense had very few Pro aspects & was dumbed down to make it easier for everyone (including defensive coaches). I've seen clips where it's literally a jail break to the QB over & over where Christian has NO CHANCE. You can even look at Sanchez with the Jets to see how pressure starts forcing the QB into very bad habits. Remember Sanchez throwing off his back foot, throwing and ducking, not setting up & rushing his flat throws. He went from playing behind a stellar line to guys like Ducasse & Winters, Wayne Hunter, doings Oles while he was getting DRILLED by guys like Von Miller.

Unlike Sanchez or Geno, word is that Christian will work his azz off, take to coaching, study, immerse himself in the playbook and that he's VERY SMART and picks things up quickly. At 6'-4" 230 pounds and a strong arm who can make all the throws that tells me he's got a chance. That's all we can ask for, I'm more optimistic about this guy then I've been for any QB the Jets have had since Pennington.

19 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I think if they didn't view the position that highly there wouldn't have been any attempt to move up to #1, then after that try to move up to #2, then after that try to move up to take a LT, then after that take a QB that was only projected to go in round 2 if there were at least 4 other QBs already taken. 

They just didn't ante up enough to move up to #1/#2 because of two reasons: (1) they didn't think they were getting enough value for Mo, and would have had to cough up enough extra in draft picks to render his value at a 2nd rounder or less; (2) while they probably saw Hackenberg as below Goff/Wentz, they didn't see him as [a pair of #1 picks + Mo + whatever else] less than Goff/Wentz and did see him above Lynch. The likelihood is that they could have traded down and still drafted him, or that he'd have been there in round 3, but they liked him enough that they weren't willing to risk that (for better or worse, which time will tell). 

The year before they were also exploring what it would take to move up to #2 for Mariota, once it became obvious he wasn't going to slip to us at #6. Anyway, it seems that they value the position plenty. Maybe not as much as the Eagles or Rams, I'll grant you, since they're behaving like they're willing to throw away 3 seasons just to take a chance on Goff/Wentz (unless they really hit on lower picks, it could take until 2019 until they realize above-average performance out of more than 2-3 draft picks from 2016+).

Archived