We had a pretty good haul this draft. Not great but good. My grades.

Jetsfan80

9 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Love the Lee and Jenkins picks.  The haters are going to be looking stupid this fall.

I can't wait to see Lee in the middle, Jenkins and mauldin on the outside for the next 5 years and hopefully more, if they all turn out to be good, we'd be housing one of the best defenses in the leather for a long time

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

I can't wait to see Lee in the middle, Jenkins and mauldin on the outside for the next 5 years and hopefully more, if they all turn out to be good, we'd be housing one of the best defenses in the leather for a long time

Don't leave out free agent signing Bruce Carter who bring much needed experience along with excellent speed. 

14 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Love the Lee and Jenkins picks.  The haters are going to be looking stupid this fall.

I was watching some clips of Georgia football and I swear this guy was more productive than Floyd and always around the football. 

disagree with the overall B+. Hackenburg was the worst pick of the draft and pretty much ruined my Friday. NOTHING on his film or in his evaluations leads me to believe he will succeed in the NFL. no accuracy, no leadership, plus I have heard through the grapevine that he loves smoking the weed. Cardale, Dak, Cook I thought were all better options early, with Vernon Adams or Brandon Allen my late round sleepers. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/08/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg/

trading a 4th for Shell seemed odd as well. 

Peake seemed to have some off-field stuff, but could be a steal. 

and I do love the new LB core. C+ draft.

14 minutes ago, 19andOhWait said:

disagree with the overall B+. Hackenburg was the worst pick of the draft and pretty much ruined my Friday. NOTHING on his film or in his evaluations leads me to believe he will succeed in the NFL. no accuracy, no leadership, plus I have heard through the grapevine that he loves smoking the weed.

4 minutes ago, sligoker said:

Hackenberg an A?  Your reasoning makes no sense.

My reasoning makes perfect sense.  If Hackenberg sucks, it means our front office sucks too and needs to go.  And all of this is meaningless.  Every bit of it.  Like, it will be pointless caring about the Jets until Woody Johnson dies and sells the team. 

But if they nailed the pick, they're the geniuses who finally found us a QB.

The line has been drawn in the sand, gentlemen.  That pick is what will define this regime and the Woody Johnson ownership. 

Oh that makes sense.  Its really not about Hackenberg's skill set, its all about whether we have good management.  That makes no sense to me either. I thought you were analyzing the quality of the players that we drafted.  Still don't understand an A for a guy like him.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:31 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

1.20:  Darron Lee, LB, Ohio St.

GRADE:  B

2.51:  Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn St.

Grade: A

3.83:  Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia

Grade:  A

4.118:  Juston Burris, CB, NC State

Grade:  B+

5.158:  Brandon Shell, OT, South Carolina

Grade:  C+

7.235:  Loc Edwards, P, Sam Houston St.

7.241:  Charone Peak, WR, Clemson

OVERALL 2016 DRAFT GRADE:  B+

Darren Lee.  Seems like a nice kid but I don't like little LB's.  Would rather have taken Lynch here.  Grade D - for passing on Lynch.

Hackenberg.  Seems like a reach by Mac. He could have waited until round 3 to grab him.  No other QB was taken until rd 3 by the Pats who scooped up Brisset which was a very strange pick seeing how they have Garapolo in the wings and forfeited their #1 pick.   Coleman, Mckenzie or Whitehair would have been better value.   Grade D - for reaching. But I do like Hackenberg and believe he has the chance to be special under the right tutelage.     

Jenkins. Where he was slated to go.  But an A?  Its not like he fell and we were lucky he was there. And he's a middle of the road LB.   Grade B

Burris.  Where he was slated to go. Decent value pick but we have enough corners. One of the RB's available would have been better value.  So much for BPA theory.  Grade  B - 

Shell.  hated we gave up our 4th to take this guy in the 5th.  He's nothing more than depth if that.  And we have enough of the same.  Grade D for trading up a round.

Edwards. A punter. Really.  Hackett went undrafted. This guy would have too.  Grade F

Peake. This is where you take a guy like this.  Great risk pick. Could be a steal and if he bombs, so what.    Grade A  

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Is Darron Lee good? I just went through this and ummm ok. What's the plan with this guy? He's not a 3 down linebacker obviously.

At least one guy out there think that he is:

New York Jets: B+

The Darron Lee pick has more thought to it than just “Jets got a LB”. What really happened is Todd Bowles got the X factor of his trademark defense. Darron Lee is Todds new Deone Bucannon. A tweener LB/S/weapon who’s ultra flexible and never comes off the field. Don’t be surprised if this cat leads the team in tackles. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2016 at 11:18 AM, dbatesman said:

I guess I'm trying to understand the thinking here. Like everyone else, I'm starved for a QB prospect that can give me even a modicum of hope in the future of this franchise. But I just can't make this fit. As far as I know, there's no precedent for a guy with Hackenberg's profile succeeding in the league. For him to hit, it would mean that 1.) everything we know about quarterback evals is wrong, and 2.) the Jets of all teams were the first to crack the code. What are the odds of one of those things being true, let alone both?

Gd that's good

I'm loving how many opinions have changed with the direction of the wind THO. Only got a couple pages in but there is lots of support for McGM and Bowels as like the smartest everz from multiple people who now see them as like the dumbest everz. Opinions change with new info, no doubt, but theres some strong words here.

On 5/2/2016 at 8:00 AM, dbatesman said:

Of course you do. But some guys are likelier than others to be the "wrong one," and a guy who has horrible stats and horrible film is pretty much the archetype. Say this pick was a wideout who dropped half the passes thrown his way, or a safety who ran a 4.9, or a guard who only managed 5 reps on the bench. Still giving it an A?

Look at how incredibly astute this post was (2nd post) and how many posters buttfumbled him right out the building... 

On 5/3/2016 at 11:26 PM, Dcat said:

At least one guy out there think that he is:

New York Jets: B+

The Darron Lee pick has more thought to it than just “Jets got a LB”. What really happened is Todd Bowles got the X factor of his trademark defense. Darron Lee is Todds new Deone Bucannon. A tweener LB/S/weapon who’s ultra flexible and never comes off the field. Don’t be surprised if this cat leads the team in tackles. 

Well, he was 2nd in tackles this year and had 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. But he's not big and slow like David Harris and your prototype 1986 style LBer therefore he will always suck in many Jets fans eyes. 

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Gd that's good

I'm loving how many opinions have changed with the direction of the wind THO. Only got a couple pages in but there is lots of support for McGM and Bowels as like the smartest everz from multiple people who now see them as like the dumbest everz. Opinions change with new info, no doubt, but theres some strong words here.

I'm sure I am guilty of some of that.  I am pretty sure that at this point I was still giving Maccagnan credit for knowing what he is doing.  Picking Hackenberg was an "I know better" move.  You had to give it some time to determine he didn't.  

Funniest part to me: how a few months after this overhaul of our linebacking corps with speed we were playing Sheldon Richardon at ILB and OLB.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm sure I am guilty of some of that.  I am pretty sure that at this point I was still giving Maccagnan credit for knowing what he is doing.  Picking Hackenberg was an "I know better" move.  You had to give it some time to determine he didn't.  

Funniest part to me: how a few months after this overhaul of our linebacking corps with speed we were playing Sheldon Richardon at ILB and OLB.

the hack pick was completely a 'i know more than you' pick.  it's been mccags' approach to the draft.  instead of going balls out and moving up or around to get his qb he's the guy sitting in the back of the room, slouched, thinking he can take his BAP every year and throw a few picks in the 2nd and 4th rounds and get the qb that other teams have to give up multiple #1 picks to get.  turns out he actually has to try a bit harder to get a good qb.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

the hack pick was completely a 'i know more than you' pick.  it's been mccags' approach to the draft.  instead of going balls out and moving up or around to get his qb he's the guy sitting in the back of the room, slouched, thinking he can take his BAP every year and throw a few picks in the 2nd and 4th rounds and get the qb that other teams have to give up multiple #1 picks to get.  turns out he actually has to try a bit harder to get a good qb.

I am also firmly convinced that the reason the Fitzpatrick thing dangled so long was that he felt Hackenberg was going to be able to start.  This is only a theory, but it has as much to support it as the "redshirt from day 1" and  "Woody made him make those picks and sign those guys" theories. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am also firmly convinced that the reason the Fitzpatrick thing dangled so long was that he felt Hackenberg was going to be able to start.  This is only a theory, but it has as much to support it as the "redshirt from day 1" and  "Woody made him make those picks and sign those guys" theories. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

woody didn't pick hack or petty.  woody didn't tell mccags not to trade up for watson or mahomes.  woody has his flaws but he wants a good qb here too and i've never read or seen any proof that he would have frowned upon taking one early on in a draft.  

Archived