Bryce Petty: odd man out if Fitz returns?

Sperm Edwards

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan didn't mention second-year QB Bryce Petty when discussing the team's quarterback plans for 2016.

"Hopefully if we can re-sign Ryan (Fitzpatrick) and we have Geno (Smith), kind of go from there and see how we do," Maccagnan said. He also wouldn't rule out playing rookie Christian Hackenberg this season. If the Jets get Fitzpatrick back in the fold, and keep Smith, then that leaves no room for Petty, whom the Jets used the No. 103 overall pick on just last year.

The GM reiterated that the team would like to re-sign Fitzpatrick and that the draft did not affect their plans regarding the veteran quarterback. That makes sense, given what Maccagnan said about hoping to develop quarterbacks and because Hackenberg is widely seen as somewhat of a project.

If the Jets can't re-sign Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith would become the favorite to start the season at quarterback for the Jets.

"We're kind of excited to see what Geno can do coming back," Maccagnan said.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I think they'd carry 4 QBs before cutting him even if he was still noticeably behind Geno and they ideally don't want Hackenberg to see the field this year (though they won't rule it out if Fitz doesn't return). That said, though it's in our best interest for Petty to develop, this puts a huge hole in the prior interpretation that he already sees Petty as a solid #2 QB. When a team has a solid #2 QB, the GM doesn't throw out the idea that 3 other people - and only those 3 other people - including a failed starter and a high-risk 2nd round rookie, might start for the team this year.

Hopefully he has a kick-ass camp and their opinion of him changes. But this glaring omission doesn't bode well for the team's opinion of Petty.

Petty will get a fair shot in camp to be the #2 QB  Just like Geno will get a fair shot to be the #1 QB .  What was said is that Fitzpatrick would be the starting QB going into camp if he comes back . The same thing was said about Geno Smith last year and the coaching staff didn't waver. Geno got hurt and Fitzy got off to a hot start . IMO, If Petty can't beat out Geno, his best bet to remain a jet is Injured reserve for the year .  FItzy and Geno will both be on 1 year contracts.

I promised I wouldn't post the "$hit eating grin" pic again (until it's actually announced Geno is starting), but feel free to imagine it being right here.

35 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I like Petty but am ok with this plan of action, show me something in year 1 or we move on, same with Hack

Considering most QBs hit their peak at 25-26 years old, this makes perfect sense.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Considering most QBs hit their peak at 25-26 years old, this makes perfect sense.

So you think they should have used that 2nd round pick to trade for Glennon? 

or are you willing to wait 5 years for Hack to hit his peak?  and then Fitz could sign a nice big 5 year deal :)

19 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I promised I wouldn't post the "$hit eating grin" pic again (until it's actually announced Geno is starting), but feel free to imagine it being right here.

"Kind of" 

Just now, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

So you think they should have used that 2nd round pick to trade for Glennon? 

or are you willing to wait 5 years for Hack to hit his peak?  and Fitz could sign a nice big 5 year deal :)

I'm willing to wait more than 1 year to weigh just how much potential is going to be realized.

The rest of this response is a wet fart.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm willing to wait more than 1 year to weigh just how much potential is going to be realized.

Agree on the first point only, I would not expect him to reach his potential in 1 year but I have to see something, right? a spark, some indication that he can reach his potential?

if Mac saw one of those signs, why draft Hack with #51, can't say he was BPA and if he saw nothing why not cut bait and move on?

7 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree on the first point only, I would not expect him to reach his potential in 1 year but I have to see something, right? a spark, some indication that he can reach his potential?

if Mac saw one of those signs, why draft Hack with #51, can't say he was BPA and if he saw nothing why not cut bait and move on?

Pats needed a QB.  Can't think of any better pick for them other than a guy who successfully ran a Pats-like offense well his freshman year.  If we didn't take Hack then, he wouldn't have made it to the 3rd.

He may not have been BPA, but don't think Macc had any question he was BQA.  No one else worth grooming after him.

I've long thought that Fitz coming back would mark the end of Geno, but there's some logic here. It's possible they believe that they can slip Petty onto their practice squad in year two, when most teams are settled at their QB positions, and are unlikely to steal him away to make him their #3 over someone they've been developing. Allowing Geno to play out his rookie contract allows the Jets to potentially get a comp pick for him down the road, too. I know the haters predict he'll be out of the league once he leaves the Jets, but it's much more likely that he'll sign a solid backup QB deal somewhere. Just look at Sanchez. Starting experience counts for something in this league. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan didn't mention second-year QB Bryce Petty when discussing the team's quarterback plans for 2016.

"Hopefully if we can re-sign Ryan (Fitzpatrick) and we have Geno (Smith), kind of go from there and see how we do," Maccagnan said. He also wouldn't rule out playing rookie Christian Hackenberg this season. If the Jets get Fitzpatrick back in the fold, and keep Smith, then that leaves no room for Petty, whom the Jets used the No. 103 overall pick on just last year.

Here is the full text of the quote:

"In a perfect world, you'd like to have give those guys a chance to sort of grow, develop, before you have to throw 'em into the fire," Maccagnan said on ESPN Radio Monday. "Hopefully if we can re-sign Ryan (Fitzpatrick) and we have Geno, kind of go from there and see how we do."

Link to the Daily News article is below that the half-quote is taken from is below.  My interpretation is that he is referring to both Hack & Petty when he says those guys need a chance to grow, develop..

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mike-maccagnan-doesn-rule-playing-christian-hackenberg-article-1.2622141

This is link to the radio podcast of the interview with Macc from the Michael Kay show if you want to hear it in his own words.  Around the 9 minute mark:

espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/playPopup?id=15448555

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Here is the full text of the quote:

"In a perfect world, you'd like to have give those guys a chance to sort of grow, develop, before you have to throw 'em into the fire," Maccagnan said on ESPN Radio Monday. "Hopefully if we can re-sign Ryan (Fitzpatrick) and we have Geno, kind of go from there and see how we do."

Link to the Daily News article is below that the half-quote is taken from is below.  My interpretation is that he is referring to both Hack & Petty when he says those guys need a chance to grow, develop..

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mike-maccagnan-doesn-rule-playing-christian-hackenberg-article-1.2622141

This is link to the radio podcast of the interview with Macc from the Michael Kay show if you want to hear it in his own words.  Around the 9 minute mark:

espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/playPopup?id=15448555

In context, when he said "those guys" he was specifically referring to rookie quarterbacks. Here's that quote including the paragraph preceding it:

Mike Maccagnan indicated Monday that his preference for rookie quarterbacks is to sit and learn at first, but left the door open for Christian Hackenberg to play this year.

Nice try, Lilith. ;) 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In context, when he said "those guys" he was specifically referring to rookie quarterbacks. Here's that quote including the paragraph preceding it:

Mike Maccagnan indicated Monday that his preference for rookie quarterbacks is to sit and learn at first, but left the door open for Christian Hackenberg to play this year.

Nice try, Lilith. ;) 

So, in other words, I did the same thing I accused the author of doing.  Sorry, my bad.  

Still think he is referring to both Petty and Hack as guys that can sit and learn.  I would be shocked if Petty is odd man out, but what do I know.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, in other words, I did the same thing I accused the author of doing.  Sorry, my bad.  

Still think he is referring to both Petty and Hack as guys that can sit and learn.  I would be shocked if Petty is odd man out, but what do I know.

Lol. No worries.

Like I said, I was just egging people on. Even if he was noticeably behind Geno, and they brought back Fitz, I think they'd still carry 4. I mean, unless he looked SO bad. 

There's another reason they could be leaking this, in which case we can expect more: they don't believe they'll be bringing Fitzpatrick back, and don't want fans to think they're merely ending up with Geno, who's not exactly a fan favorite right now, by suggesting they actually still like him. So in case that happens, they're talking him up now. Even if they believe it, it's still a good PR move to do this preemptively.

Anyone think the problem the Jets have is if Fitz returns it will be impossible to start anyone but him? I mean even if another QB on the roster is better. Fitz is just too popular in the locker room to bench.

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Anyone think the problem the Jets have is if Fitz returns it will be impossible to start anyone but him? I mean even if another QB on the roster is better. Fitz is just too popular in the locker room to bench.

Yup.  Not to mention the money that'll be "invested" (aka wasted) on him.  It'd be hard to justify starting one of the other three over him.

If Fitz comes back and Geno doesn't get traded/cut I imagine Petty (or maybe Hackenberg) is going to have a "shoulder injury" and get put on IR sometime in late August. The old Erik Ainge trick.

4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yes. Which is part of the reason I don't want him back. Personal popularity with the team, Bowles would never bench a popular guy, and just the humiliation unless his replacement is instant lights-out.

It's why I said over a month ago my top offer would be $7M. Not $9M, not $10-12M. At $7M it's still low enough I wouldn't be sick over him making that much as the #2 if/when it came to that. And there wouldn't be any pride/ego issues for the HC/FO because it is just top backup money.

But mostly I just want the best young QB with an actual future to start as soon as possible. That won't happen if Fitz is here until/unless he gets injured again (in which case again, even if for a different reason, it's a huge waste of a signing). 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The GM reiterated that the team would like to re-sign Fitzpatrick and that the draft did not affect their plans regarding the veteran quarterback. That makes sense, given what Maccagnan said about hoping to develop quarterbacks and because Hackenberg is widely seen as somewhat of a project.

If the Jets can't re-sign Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith would become the favorite to start the season at quarterback for the Jets.

This article is obviously intended to get clicks. Geno would be the favorite according to whom? This speculation is inserted between quotes to make it seem as though it came from Mac.

He quotes Mac saying they're excited to see what Geno can do but completely ignores the fact that he says he's looking forward to seeing Petty's progression only seconds later. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is 0% to gain keeping Geno in his last contract year here.

Now there's an idea.  Way to think out of the box!  You're suggesting to extend Geno now?

It could work.  Get him for 4 additional years @5mil per.  We'd have a huge advantage paying our franchise QB so little.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes. Which is part of the reason I don't want him back. Personal popularity with the team, Bowles would never bench a popular guy, and just the humiliation unless his replacement is instant lights-out.

It's why I said over a month ago my top offer would be $7M. Not $9M, not $10-12M. At $7M it's still low enough I wouldn't be sick over him making that much as the #2 if/when it came to that. And there wouldn't be any pride/ego issues for the HC/FO because it is just top backup money.

But mostly I just want the best young QB with an actual future to start as soon as possible. That won't happen if Fitz is here until/unless he gets injured again (in which case again, even if for a different reason, it's a huge waste of a signing). 

I totally agree with you. I think this years schedule sets up perfectly to start out with Geno. If he plays great, then awesome. If he doesn't then Hack or Petty will be in there at some point. If you sign Fitz and he struggles, it will cause a problem the whole year. Fans, the media and players in the locker room will be blaming it on the tough schedule. It will be at least week 8 before the coaching staff can even put in Geno to evaluate him. Ok, sorry. I am done hijacking your thread now.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is 0% to gain keeping Geno in his last contract year here.

There is a 0.000001% worth to keeping Petty and continuing to develop him.

Cut Geno, keep Petty.

Outside of a potential comp pick. 

If Petty's shown them nothing, or they think they can slip him onto their practice squad, it makes some sense to hold onto Geno for a year. 

No way they can afford to use a roster spot on a 4th QB. I think Geo will have to be way ahead of Petty, if it's close Geno goes. Jets might try to put Petty on the practice squad, but he might be picked up off it. If Petty has an upside (we don't know for sure) would hate to see him as Danny Woodhead get cut and have his talent show up in another uniform 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Honestly I think they'd carry 4 QBs before cutting him even if he was still noticeably behind Geno and they ideally don't want Hackenberg to see the field this year (though they won't rule it out if Fitz doesn't return). That said, though it's in our best interest for Petty to develop, this puts a huge hole in the prior interpretation that he already sees Petty as a solid #2 QB. When a team has a solid #2 QB, the GM doesn't throw out the idea that 3 other people - and only those 3 other people - including a failed starter and a high-risk 2nd round rookie, might start for the team this year.

Hopefully he has a kick-ass camp and their opinion of him changes. But this glaring omission doesn't bode well for the team's opinion of Petty.

Yep.  They'll carry 4 QBs.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The title of this thread is the dumbest I've ever seen. There's NO way the Jets cut Bryce Petty. NO way. They have not seen what Bryce can do, but they sure as hell have seen what Geno can do. Geno is either the starter by default or he's a goner after the Jets resign Fitz. GUARANTEED.

Archived