Bryce Petty: odd man out if Fitz returns?

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:06 PM, RSJ said:

Anyone think the problem the Jets have is if Fitz returns it will be impossible to start anyone but him? I mean even if another QB on the roster is better. Fitz is just too popular in the locker room to bench.

Not so much impossible to not start him, but just that it's impossible to swallow the fact that logic said before signing him that he's probable to not be the best QB on the roster.  Fitz had a career year.  As much as his career could mirror a guy like Rich Gannon who also put it all together late in his career, it's also quite likely and even more probable that his career mirrors a guy like Tommy Maddox.  PIT signed Maddox to a raise prior to drafting Big Ben.  That was a move that proved futile. 

Who in their right mind thinks Fitz is gonna put up 30 TD's and almost 4000 yards next season?  No one with any kind of sense of reality can reasonably expect that.  Reasonably speaking he is probably going to put up 25 TD's or so with about 18 INT's at best.  That's Geno-like numbers, so in that case why sign Fitz for all those millions when we can get the same thing out of Geno for free, and when Geno falters it gives a prime opportunity to give a young guy the reigns. 

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Not so much impossible to not start him, but just that it's impossible to swallow the fact that logic said before signing him that he's probable to not be the best QB on the roster.  Fitz had a career year.  As much as his career could mirror a guy like Rich Gannon who also put it all together late in his career, it's also quite likely and even more probable that his career mirrors a guy like Tommy Maddox.  PIT signed Maddox to a raise prior to drafting Big Ben.  That was a move that proved futile. 

Who in their right mind thinks Fitz is gonna put up 30 TD's and almost 4000 yards next season?  No one with any kind of sense of reality can reasonably expect that.  Reasonably speaking he is probably going to put up 25 TD's or so with about 18 INT's at best.  That's Geno-like numbers, so in that case why sign Fitz for all those millions when we can get the same thing out of Geno for free, and when Geno falters it gives a prime opportunity to give a young guy the reigns. 

stats are inflated now.  last season there were 11 qbs who threw 30 or more tds, and 2 who threw 29.  rothlisberger threw 21 missing at least 4 games and parts of others, so he could easily have done it also.  that's nearly half the qbs in the nfl at or near 30 tds.  and this excludes andrew luck who missed most of the year, and flacco who missed 6+ games.  so while we as jet fans are amazing this could happen on our team, it's happening all around the league.  and just wait, mariotta and winston will join the conversation soon as well.  

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

Mac's phrasing on the Kay show made me do a doubletake.  Petty at first seemed like an afterthought.  And then there was the "I assume" comment on whether Bryce Petty would be the #2 if Fitz doesn't return.  Maybe they do want to stash him on the practice squad, or they just don't think much of him beyond a potential #2 in the long run.

I think you are right and I also think Mac is a truth teller of sorts.  He has two QBs Fitz and Geno who have played and performed in NFL games so they have to be ahead until Petty even performs in preseason.  He can't just be placed anywhere.

Hack is a bigtime gamble so he has put his chips there as well.

But it would be insanity to draft Petty in round 4 and not even give him a legitimate shot at the qb job or at least the back-up gig.  The truth is people who just waste picks like that aren't GMs for long.

If Geno's the starter and they don't acquire a vet Qb then you'd have to assume it would be Hack. Right now he's aleady rated over Petty. And is definitely in terms of the future the front runner to be our starting Qb. Of course that could change in training camp if Hack is totally clueless. 

I think just about every scout in the NFL probably feels to a man that if Hackenberg had Bill O'Brien as his coach all 3 years and a decent OL, he'd probably be the concensus #1 QB and probably considered day 1 ready.  I think a fair share of scouts, Jets most obviously, feel that Hack can be returned to form with good protection and a pro offense.  The big question is how long they feel that will take to bring him back to form.  If Hack shows that he is picking up quickly in camp I could easily see them plugging him in day 1.  The future is now, and Hackenberg's problem is not the mental game, it's the determination of whether he is shell-shocked or not.  If they deem that he is then he may never reach his potential again. 

Archived