Let's play Devils Advocate.

Tony The Wiz

Let's play Devils advocate. If Hackenberg was not the pick in the 2nd, then who there left in the draft would you have picked. Thinking of the talent left and our deficiency in some positions I would like to hear what player would you have picked when watching this draft. Would it be another QB or any other position. I have a short list.  Cook QB, Boyd WR, Alexander CB or Fuller CB.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Let's play Devils advocate. If Hackenberg was not the pick in the 2nd, then who there left in the draft would you have picked. Thinking of the talent left and our deficiency in some positions I would like to hear what player would you have picked when watching this draft. Would it be another QB or any other position. 

Deion Jones, Austin Hooper, Leonte Caroo

30 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Let's play Devils advocate. If Hackenberg was not the pick in the 2nd, then who there left in the draft would you have picked. Thinking of the talent left and our deficiency in some positions I would like to hear what player would you have picked when watching this draft. Would it be another QB or any other position. 

I prefer an alternate Devil's Advocate question:

If the Jets passed on Hack in the 2nd, where would Hack have been picked and by whom?

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the Jets passed on Hack in the 2nd, where would Hack have been picked and by whom?

I had the Pats in the Jetnation mock draft, and picked Hackenberg with one of their 2nd rounders.

8 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Patriots or Cowboys in the third or 4th round.

If the 3rd.... Jets would not have been able to grab him w/o trading up around 5 or 20 spots.

NE had the #60 & #78 pick. Not sure about Dallas, but obviously they pick way before the Jets in every rd.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

He wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round....

9 hours ago, Mainejet said:

He wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round....

I think that's pure fantasy, as is talk that the dreaded Pats would have taken him.  The Pats already have a QB to develop, and Hack is not the kind of player Belichek would pick.  This belief is pure Jets Fan inferiority complex, the same silliness that gets bandied about every time we cut anyone...."oh noes, Beli is going to sign him now and make him an all pro!"

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I think that's pure fantasy, as is talk that the dreaded Pats would have taken him.  The Pats already have a QB to develop, and Hack is not the kind of player Belichek would pick.  This belief is pure Jets Fan inferiority complex, the same silliness that gets bandied about every time we cut anyone...."oh noes, Beli is going to sign him now and make him an all pro!"

Hack isnt but Brissett is?

Explain. 

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

I could easily see any of the teams looking to groom an eventual replacement such as San Diego, Steelers, Buffalo (before their later pick), perhaps Miami, Oakland (before Cook), Cleveland, New Orleans, Detroit.  Really lots of possibilities for teams to draft him late round 2 or top 19 picks of round 3, who would be willing to sit Hack with a clipboard in his hands for a couple of years.  

I can't blame Mac at all for not wanting to chance losing Hack by waiting until the bottom third of round 3.

Going into the second round was hoping for Spriggs, Whitehair, Martin, Bell.  In that order.  Two GMs thought that's the way we should have went and jumped in front of us for Spriggs and Martin.

im trying to warm up to Hackenberg but I do think he went at least a round too early.  That said, NE usually drafts guys 1-2 rounds early so they may have taken him at the end of the second round.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

I could easily see any of the teams looking to groom an eventual replacement such as San Diego, Steelers, Buffalo (before their later pick), perhaps Miami, Oakland (before Cook), Cleveland, New Orleans, Detroit.  Really lots of possibilities for teams to draft him late round 2 or top 19 picks of round 3, who would be willing to sit Hack with a clipboard in his hands for a couple of years.  

I can't blame Mac at all for not wanting to chance losing Hack by waiting until the bottom third of round 3.

12 first round picks in the 2013 draft teams did not excercise their options. TWELVE! We're talking about the 51st pick in the draft. Go after WHO YOU WANT in the draft, this VALUE BS is getting ridiculous.

Hackenberg wasn't making it past the 2nd round. He would be the perfect QB to sit and learn behind Tom Brady. The Jets were aware of that and probably drafted him a little earlier than they would liked. Either way I am still happy with the pick.

11 minutes ago, Blaq218 said:

Hackenberg wasn't making it past the 2nd round. He would be the perfect QB to sit and learn behind Tom Brady. The Jets were aware of that and probably drafted him a little earlier than they would liked. Either way I am still happy with the pick.

I could see AZ picking him up. Carson Palmer was awful in the Playoffs and I bet Bruce Ariens would have snapped him up in the second round to groom for a year or two. 

14 minutes ago, Blaq218 said:

if the patriots had drafted him the pick would have been lauded for belichick's genius.

Archived