Mac on WFAN there

MetsJets1962

Just caught the very end of it so will probably grab the podcasts tomorrow but I always enjoy listening to him talk. Comes across as very intelligent and measured. Be interesting to hear the whole interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

listening to mccags, he's honest but doesn't reveal much.  he'll say they looked into trading up for tunsil, but doesn't say what they offered.  did they offer a 2nd, or 3rd, or a player?  so saying they had interest in the 1st pick, again, doesn't say much, but b/c he admits something, anything, he's treated well by the media.  good strategy.

Caught the interview. Basically Mac 'likes' all of our QBs. Craig pressed him on Geno and his response was a little back handed. Forget the exact wording, but it wasn't a ringing endorsement. He did say Geno had been thrown in the fire as a young player and that he has the skills to be a good NFL QB.  He 'hopes' to have Fitz back. Claims that they haven't been focused on Mo and his contract with the draft, but now they'll turn their attention back to him. Said that Lee was the kind of player the Jets were looking to add this offseason - he mentioned they where interested in Mark Barron in FA - and that he's still 21, so they see tons of upside. He admitted they thought he'd be gone by the time they were on the clock. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I was about to post a sarcastic comment about how coming across as intelligent should be a given considering he's a GM, but then I got flashbacks to that mid season Idzik press conference a couple years back.

You mean the one in which Idzik stated that the Jets, as then currently constructed, had more than enough talent to win!!!

And Mac as several posters pointed out above says a lot but reveals nothing. 

Mac speaks in generalities and does not use the media to send messages to the players.  He is sort of the antithetical GM we have had out here for the Jets and we just have to hope that his plan takes us to the promised land.....

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I was about to post a sarcastic comment about how coming across as intelligent should be a given considering he's a GM, but then I got flashbacks to that mid season Idzik press conference a couple years back.

No question, one of the greatest sports-related cluster fuks I've ever seen.  The fun begins at approx. :20 in the video below.

"At the end of the day.....................................................................................................................................................................

Mac is not anything like John Idzik."

Recap of above:

1. Would've traded up for an OT

2. Were locked on a LB

3. Would've traded down and left Hackenberg on the board (?)

Meanwhile, Elway was sweating golf balls and jumped five picks to snipe Lynch. He couldn't wait five more picks.  

Just now, jetrider said:

Recap of above:

2. Were locked on a LB

Meanwhile, Elway was sweating golf balls and jumped five picks to snipe Lynch. He couldn't wait five more picks.  

elway saw himself in lynch and went for it.  end of story.

7 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Recap of above:

2. Were locked on a LB

KC and AZ both were heavily interested in Lynch.  AZ HC likened Lynch to Carson Palmer.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

KC and AZ both were heavily interested in Lynch.  AZ HC likened Lynch to Carson Palmer.

I had been thinking all along that if the Jets passed on Lynch, I expected AZ to take and groom him to replace Palmer.  In fact,  I would not have been surprised if they (or KC) took Hackenberg in round two, I bet the Mac was thinking along the same lines....

Mac said that Geno has the skills to be a good NFL QB.  This is like when parents talk to reporters after their son has been arrested for the 10th time and they say "he really is a good person"

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I had been thinking all along that if the Jets passed on Lynch, I expected AZ to take and groom him to replace Palmer.  In fact,  I would not have been surprised if they (or KC) took Hackenberg in round two, I bet the Mac was thinking along the same lines....

i could see the draft room discussion.  like hack, can't wait till 3rd round.  i wonder which qb they would have taken if they had traded back and then hack was drafted.  cook in the 3rd?

Mac is doing what GM's do about players like Geno that the whole world knows is a pile of festering garbage but yet he can't outright come out and admit that, so he strokes the guys ego a little and says nice and encouraging things........but behind the scenes is working like a maniac to re-sign Fitz so he can hand Smith his walking papers. 

13 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Mac said that Geno has the skills to be a good NFL QB.  This is like when parents talk to reporters after their son has been arrested for the 10th time and they say "he really is a good person"

"He has just made some mistakes and hangs with the wrong crowd."

"With the right people around him..."

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

47 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

"He has just made some mistakes and hangs with the wrong crowd."

"With the right people around him..."

giphy.gif

listening to him on wfan now.  said lee was the last of 2nd tier of players they had ranked and didn't want to trade back.  insisted he didn't target hack in the 2nd specifically, it depended on how the draft unfolded.  jenkins will play lb in 3/4.  went out of his way to complement geno and say they could carry 4 qbs.  burris fit system and could play safety at times if needed.  brandon shell will start off at RT he thinks, will let bowles decide.  francesa didn't know he was related to art shell.  considered him in 4th round.  mainly did it b/c traded future pick for college player, not veteran.  assumes he will get a comp pick or two next year.  francesa said quigley was terrible to mccags.  awkward to say the least.  

The   Francesa  interview was more of the same.

They love there 2 young QB's wants to see where they are at in camp.

About smith's future.  He's starting QB till Ftiz gets in

It is possible they carry 4

won't talk about Ftiz's contract.  No deadline

Blah blah blah

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

A fair interview by Francessa....even he knows that the circus left town last year.

i think mccags is willing to spend time with him to help that cause.  plus he's likely been informed of the ny audience, so he can reach some jet fans through his show

8 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

A fair interview by Francessa....even he knows that the circus left town last year.

I agree.  As much as I hate Fat Mike and seldom listen to his show he did a fairly fair job 

23 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Francesa is such a superior interviewer than most when he is fair it is not even close.  He is very subtle. 

Early on he questioned Mac about Fitz, felt some resistance, skillfully moved on, and then later asked Mac about whether or not there was a time by which it would be too late to sign Fitz.

But the key was Francesa had already gotten Mac to say in the earlier part of the interview that Fitz could essentially miss a great deal of camp and still be ok.

It was a good interview and he got his answer of a 4  player QB competition with the best players playing in the their competitive order and that the Jets would carry 4 QB if needed. 

Why carry 4 QBs?

Answer = Because you need developmental QBs that you are constantly grooming to be eventual starters.......

Nice interview. 

5 hours ago, MetsJets1962 said:

Just caught the very end of it so will probably grab the podcasts tomorrow but I always enjoy listening to him talk. Comes across as very intelligent and measured. Be interesting to hear the whole interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many "at the end of the day" did you hear?

Funny how fans really think that these GM's are being honest with them and giving the information that to be quite frank, needs to be kept from the public.  Remember he is still in negotiations with Fitz, and he isn't going to throw horrible players like Geno under the bus in public. I do hope that Hackenberg doesn't become his Geno--if thats the case we will be looking for a new GM in a couple of years.

Archived