Wednesday morning QB

Tinstar

Let me begin this by saying I would have taken Leonard Williams last yr at the pick we got him and twice on Sunday because he was the BPA and that's what you do.  With that said, I wonder what might have been if this team taken Gurley last yr and then taken Treadwell and Hackenberg this year . 

That is all . 

RB's are incredibly risky.  Sure, in hindsight Gurley would look like a great pick right now.  But he has an injury history.  And many RB's don't end up staying on the team that drafted them beyond their rookie deal.

So would you rather have Leonard Williams, who should have a long and successful career?  Or would you rather have Gurley for, potentially, only 4-5 years?  Tough call.  Gurley could be a "transcendent" RB on the level of Adrian Peterson, but there's been far too many failures at the RB position, and in a passing league, spending an early 1st on one is dangerous.

I do not, for instance, envy the Cowboys when they took Elliott at 4.  Even if he is a top 5 RB as early as this year, that's not worth a top 5 pick. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Only stupid sh*tty teams take RB's in the first round, let alone the top 10. 

Gurley might help me win my fantasy championship next year... but he's not helping the Rams win dick.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

RB's are incredibly risky.  Sure, in hindsight Gurley would look like a great pick right now.  But he has an injury history.  And many RB's don't end up staying on the team that drafted them beyond their rookie deal.

So would you rather have Leonard Williams, who should have a long and successful career?  Or would you rather have Gurley for, potentially, only 4-5 years?  Tough call.  Gurley could be a "transcendent" RB on the level of Adrian Peterson, but there's been far too many failures at the RB position, and in a passing league, spending an early 1st on one is dangerous.

I do not, for instance, envy the Cowboys when they took Elliott at 4.  Even if he is a top 5 RB as early as this year, that's not worth a top 5 pick. 

+1 How many RB's are the reason a team got to and won a Bowl?? Other then Terrell Davis I don't know of any..

Seven running backs ran for more than 1,000 yards last season. There were double digit running backs to accomplish the same for every year going back to 2002. It's a different game now. The days of the bell cow, 3-down back are waning. There is no sense in drafting one high unless it's an other worldly talent like AP. Gurley is good but he's no AP. There is more value to drafting a solid running back in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds than ever before. Drafting one in the first round, nevertheless the top ten is a fool's errand. Which is why Jerry Jones did it.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Seven running backs ran for more than 1,000 yards last season. There were double digit running backs to accomplish the same for every year going back to 2002. It's a different game now. The days of the bell cow, 3-down back are waning. There is no sense in drafting one high unless it's an other worldly talent like AP. Gurley is good but he's no AP. There is more value to drafting a solid running back in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds than ever before. Drafting one in the first round, nevertheless the top ten is a fool's errand. Which is why Jerry Jones did it.

You forgot to mention of those 7, 1 went to the playoffs. 

As great as Gurley was, he did nothing to improve that offense.  The Rams were 29th in pts and dead last in yards.  

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

You forgot to mention of those 7, 1 went to the playoffs. 

As great as Gurley was, he did nothing to improve that offense.  The Rams were 29th in pts and dead last in yards.  

which is why they traded all those picks for goff, for better or worse.  

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Let me begin this by saying I would have taken Leonard Williams last yr at the pick we got him and twice on Sunday because he was the BPA and that's what you do.  With that said, I wonder what might have been if this team taken Gurley last yr and then taken Treadwell and Hackenberg this year . 

That is all . 

Inside of Gurly's knee closely resembles machaca con huevos in week 1 if the Jets pick him.  We would be hearing there's doubt whether he's going to be ready for 2016 training camp due to extended rehab.  It's the Jets, you know.  This is why we only take defensive players in the first round.

What might have been: Leonard goes onto have an all-pro career and Gurley either ends up on a different team, because who wants to give a running back his second contract at that type of money, or we're stupid enough to give him that second contract. Different game. Take the potential all-pro dlineman over the potential all-pro RB any day of the week. 

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Gurley should have been the pick RB position locked down for years.

I know you're old, Dude, but the days of RBs winning Heismans and getting drafted in the top five or ten are (or should be) long gone. It's a different game. The Jets signed Forte for three years, $12M. That's what a top RB is worth years down the road, how unlikely it'll be that Gurley or Elliot is worth their fifth year option. 

6 hours ago, Tinstar said:

That is all . 

And resign Mo?

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Gurley should have been the pick RB position locked down for years.

You mean if he fully recovered, he more than likely locks down the position for 3-5 years.  

Williams can lock his position down for years and year and years.  You get much more for your pick with anyone not playing the RB position

Archived