Where will the money come from?

CanadaSteve

Everyone seems to be asking.

Thought I would put this in one spot so people can discuss.

Obviously, the first one is Mo Wilkerson.  If they could get him signed long term (if they choose to), they could probably free up about $5 million of his $15.7 million tag.  Then, over the next two years, have a higher base salary.  Revis' number is just devastating, but it is what it is for another 2 years

The Jets currently have 79 players under contract right now WITHOUT 7 draft picks and all UDFA's (well, technically the seven picks are in this at a price of $450,000 each.)  There is a lot of camp fodder that can be cut that can add up to $3-4 million dollars.

Brandon could be approached, but that will mean pushing money into 2018....not a great idea.

Same with Decker.  He could get more guaranteed money in 2017, which is a little more reasonable.

Breno is another tough one.  He would save $5 million right off the bat, and get us almost half-way to Fitzpatrick money, but are we ready to hand the keys to rookies?

Kenbrell Thompkins: Considering we drafted a WR, and picked one up as a UDFA, this would make sense to cut him and save $1.7 million

Nick Folk:  Again, an easy $2.7 million, BUT will one of the 2 kickers drafted be good enough?  Or what would Bullocks price be?

Geno Smith:  If we get Fitzpatrick, he would save $1 million, but that means Hackenberg or Petty is the back-up if Fitz goes down.

Any ideas or insights?

Trade milliner for a stack of pancakes (short stack of course); save his guaranteed salary (2+ million).

Even with a short term deal without the benefit of splitting bonuses; there is a way to pay Fitz less this year for guaranteed money next year (not ideal)

But I would guess that most will come from either trading; releasing or signing Mo.

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

All the whiny complainer kept begging for Revis last year, well now you got him.

And we're going to suck the next 2 years

Come on now, if they missed on the 2nd round QB, it's going to be even longer than 2 years.

9 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

I think we all need to start accepting the reality that Geno may be our starter for the season on paper come TC. Pray for a Petty or a Hack victory in the qb battle this year

eh, I don't need to accept anything... I'm hoping the Jets are a winning, contending football team next year. Whatever combination of players it takes to achieve that, I'm fine with.

I wonder if the Fire Idzick crowd sit at home feeling happy that they accomplished some great goal.

Or do they realize they forced the organization to make a super bowl push when the team was a good 3 years away from that, only pushing this team further into mediocrity.

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Obviously, the first one is Mo Wilkerson.  If they could get him signed long term (if they choose to), they could probably free up about $5 million of his $15.7 million tag.  Then, over the next two years, have a higher base salary.  Revis' number is just devastating, but it is what it is for another 2 years

The Jets currently have 79 players under contract right now WITHOUT 7 draft picks and all UDFA's (well, technically the seven picks are in this at a price of $450,000 each.)  There is a lot of camp fodder that can be cut that can add up to $3-4 million dollars.

Brandon could be approached, but that will mean pushing money into 2018....not a great idea.

Same with Decker.  He could get more guaranteed money in 2017, which is a little more reasonable.

Breno is another tough one.  He would save $5 million right off the bat, and get us almost half-way to Fitzpatrick money, but are we ready to hand the keys to rookies?

Kenbrell Thompkins: Considering we drafted a WR, and picked one up as a UDFA, this would make sense to cut him and save $1.7 million

Nick Folk:  Again, an easy $2.7 million, BUT will one of the 2 kickers drafted be good enough?  Or what would Bullocks price be?

Geno Smith:  If we get Fitzpatrick, he would save $1 million, but that means Hackenberg or Petty is the back-up if Fitz goes down.

Any ideas or insights?

I say hit Decker since he's signed into 2018 along with cutting Kenbrell Thompkins and Nick Folk. That should do the trick and free up enough cash to sign all of the rookies. 

We swung and missed on the "Tag-and-Trade" with Wilkerson, we dont need to rescind his tag in order to sign Fitz since we really dont need Fitz at the money he's requesting. Let Wilk play on the tag replace Folk with one of the two kickers, the handful of WR's we picked up should be able to make cutting Thompkins a good thing and lets attack the season.

Put the ball in Geno's hands and sign a back up in FA and put Hackenberg at #3 while placing Petty on the practice squad. Geno will be playing for his career and a future contract with an NFL team since this is his last year under his rookie contract. Most people disagree that Geno could be good even in a contract year...the funny thing is both of Fitz "best seasons" were in contract years. 

14 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

I think we all need to start accepting the reality that Geno may be our starter for the season on paper come TC. Pray for a Petty or a Hack victory in the qb battle this year

Unless Hack is Wilson he shouldnt be part of the starting QB discussion. That should be more out of the question than Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I say hit Decker since he's signed into 2018 along with cutting Kenbrell Thompkins and Nick Folk. That should do the trick and free up enough cash to sign all of the rookies. 

We swung and missed on the "Tag-and-Trade" with Wilkerson, we dont need to rescind his tag in order to sign Fitz since we really dont need Fitz at the money he's requesting. Let Wilk play on the tag replace Folk with one of the two kickers, the handful of WR's we picked up should be able to make cutting Thompkins a good thing and lets attack the season.

Put the ball in Geno's hands and sign a back up in FA and put Hackenberg at #3 while placing Petty on the practice squad. Geno will be playing for his career and a future contract with an NFL team since this is his last year under his rookie contract. Most people disagree that Geno could be good even in a contract year...the funny thing is both of Fitz "best seasons" were in contract years. 

Unless between camp and the trading deadline in Nov a team loses a important lineman and are desperate then we may get a top pick for Mo.. I would love to see Mac and Mo sign a deal that would satisfy both but world peace may be easier to attain at this point.. The Jets and Mo don't seem to have a future so I don't see the value of spending 15.7 million on a player whose team isn't exactly bowl bound in 2016.. Yes the same could be said for Revis but that deal can't be undone now..

39 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Trade milliner for a stack of pancakes (short stack of course); save his guaranteed salary (2+ million).

Even with a short term deal without the benefit of splitting bonuses; there is a way to pay Fitz less this year for guaranteed money next year (not ideal)

But I would guess that most will come from either trading; releasing or signing Mo.

there is NO cap savings cutting Millner this year, but they did not pick up his fifth year option, so I would say unless he pulls a Revis this year and plays lights out, he is gone.

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We already have enough to sign rookies....its a matter of finding the vet QB many want.

31 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I wonder if the Fire Idzick crowd sit at home feeling happy that they accomplished some great goal.

Or do they realize they forced the organization to make a super bowl push when the team was a good 3 years away from that, only pushing this team further into mediocrity.

Not sure what you are talking about here.  The Jets had to spend a ton of money to hit the floor last season, and some good players just to be respectable.  They got LUCKY with the 10 wins, and had to see what happened.  I think this was always a three year rebuild, and we are in season two of said rebuild.  Lot's of money again for next season (as I am sure they planned), with three (hopefully) solid drafts and good F/A signings.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Any ideas or insights?

Just cutting Breno, and Folk after June 1 will save 7.75 mil I wouldn't offer any more than that. 

Then we could offer an extra year or two to Marshall, Decker, Skrine, or Gilchrist, and lower this year's cap hit. 

I don't see any problem getting cash if we want to take it from the next year or two. 

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

All the whiny complainers kept begging for Revis last year, well now you got him.

Mr. 11% cap space. Totally flies under the radar 

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Unless between camp and the trading deadline in Nov a team loses a important lineman and are desperate then we may get a top pick for Mo.. I would love to see Mac and Mo sign a deal that would satisfy both but world peace may be easier to attain at this point.. The Jets and Mo don't seem to have a future so I don't see the value of spending 15.7 million on a player whose team isn't exactly bowl bound in 2016.. Yes the same could be said for Revis but that deal can't be undone now..

I agree in general, what I dont agree with is cutting Wilk and saving that money only to give it to Fitzpatrick. I'd rather have Wilk play on the tag than give Fitzpatrick 9-15 million dollars.

What I dont really agree with is teh bowl bound part. This team was a playoff team last year, no doubt about it. I believe we got better this year having Geno Smith at QB, a guy who adds the deep threat dimension to the offense, we have Darron Lee, a sideline to sideline guy that can stay clean the majority of snaps given the defensive line AND could be a tremendous A-gap blitzer with that speed. Jenkins to take over pace position and Mauldin a year under his belt. 

The way I look at it, if you make the playoffs then anything can happen. Its a hard schedule, but these are the teams that you must be in order to be king of the hill. I think we're better than we give ourselves credit for, even without Fitz. 

I will most certainly acknowledge the fact that Im basing my feelings on what Geno did last training came in a new system. Now with him being in the system for a year and not having to look over his shoulder in a contract year I think we could be pleasantly surprised by how we play this year. 

We need to win some games this year, and paying Wilk on a tag just to have him one more year vs cutting him for Fitz.....I'd take Wilk. However, if something happens and for some freak reason a quality guy is released then cut Wilk and make the deal. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree in general, what I dont agree with is cutting Wilk and saving that money only to give it to Fitzpatrick. I'd rather have Wilk play on the tag than give Fitzpatrick 9-15 million dollars.

What I dont really agree with is teh bowl bound part. This team was a playoff team last year, no doubt about it. I believe we got better this year having Geno Smith at QB, a guy who adds the deep threat dimension to the offense, we have Darron Lee, a sideline to sideline guy that can stay clean the majority of snaps given the defensive line AND could be a tremendous A-gap blitzer with that speed. Jenkins to take over pace position and Mauldin a year under his belt. 

The way I look at it, if you make the playoffs then anything can happen. Its a hard schedule, but these are the teams that you must be in order to be king of the hill. I think we're better than we give ourselves credit for, even without Fitz. 

I will most certainly acknowledge the fact that Im basing my feelings on what Geno did last training came in a new system. Now with him being in the system for a year and not having to look over his shoulder in a contract year I think we could be pleasantly surprised by how we play this year. 

We need to win some games this year, and paying Wilk on a tag just to have him one more year vs cutting him for Fitz.....I'd take Wilk. However, if something happens and for some freak reason a quality guy is released then cut Wilk and make the deal. 

To me a team is a playoff team when they make the playoffs..In 2008 the Pats went 11-5 and didn't make it yet in 2002 we won the East at 9-7 thanks to tie breakers..I'm not saying cut Mo and give the money to Fitz I rather see Gee-No too in that case.. Of course in a perfect world the Buc's would give us a 1st and MG for Mo but alas this is not a perfect world..:)

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

To me a team is a playoff team when they make the playoffs..In 2008 the Pats went 11-5 and didn't make it yet in 2002 we won the East at 9-7 thanks to tie breakers..I'm not saying cut Mo and give the money to Fitz I rather see Gee-No too in that case.. Of course in a perfect world the Buc's would give us a 1st and MG for Mo but alas this is not a perfect world..:)

Then I guess what I should say is that based on the talent we had we should have been a playoff team. You're right, you are what your record says you are and we had 2 different opportunities to secure our playoff position (beat Texans and/or Bills). It didnt happen. However, looking at a top 5 defense and the #1 WR duo and a 1,000 yard rusher this team is literally knocking on the door....LOUDLY. lol 

It would be no question if Macc did the right thing and traded for Glennon though. We cant have it all I guess! lol. 

I'll preface this with the fact I liked Fitz.

My solution-do nothing.  Fitz does not take us from whatever we are at the moment to SB contender.  If we're a SB contender as it is right now (I don't think we are), Fitz doesn't put us over the top.  The guy has never been in the playoffs, how can you possibly expect he can have any kind of SB acumen if we get to the playoffs?  I mean really, if we make the plyoffs does anyone say "hey, they have Ryan Fitzpatrick look out folks!"? 

We have 3 young QB's, as much as it pains me to say it in regards to Geno, thy all have potential (even if Geno's is really only as a #2).  Signing Fitz for 2 years does nothing but at best make us arguably slightly better at the expense of putting off whether or not our future is currently on the team.  There are guys who need time to sit and learn the pro game (ie Petty), and there are guys who are likely mentally there already (Hackenberg), or have had some experience already and need to show whether it translates on the field (Geno).  I feel like we would be bending backwards to make room to sign a guy for more than he's worth to the team and frankly to the league.  Nobody else in the league wants Fitz as their starter.  Just because of the fact that on paper he "would" be our starter does not make him worth starter money.  Certainly nowhere near what he's asking allegedly, and probably not even what we're offering allegedly.  If we pay this guy the money being floated around as the number by both sides and one of the young guys outplays him in camp (something that Geno apparently did last year according to all reports and coaches, which disgusts me to say), then it goes down as the worst signing of the year. 

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

there is NO cap savings cutting Millner this year, but they did not pick up his fifth year option, so I would say unless he pulls a Revis this year and plays lights out, he is gone.

That is why I said trade; his salary is guaranteed, but if he is traded, the team that gets him would take the cap hit.

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:
2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

That is why I said trade; his salary is guaranteed, but if he is traded, the team that gets him would take the cap hit.

OOPS.....missed the trade part.  Thought you said cut.  My bad!

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Any ideas or insights?

Cut Revis, Miliner, and Breno. No brainer. 

9 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

All the whiny complainers kept begging for Revis last year, well now you got him.

Our cap situation is actually going to improve a good bit next season. I am still happy we got Revis back and I hope he plays his last game in a Jets uniform.

Archived