punter.. Tom Hackett ~ ~ ~

kelly

The Jets didn’t have a punter entering the NFL draft last Thursday.So, on the third day of said draft, they took one. Then, they proceeded to sign another.This summer, one of the Jets most intriguing positional battles will be for the team’s starting punting job. As of right now, there really isn’t much of a favorite between the “selected” Lachlan Edwards, or UDFA signee Tom Hackett.

Jets Wire has already talked a bit about Edwards, so here’s a little background on Hackett :

During his four-year career at Utah, Hackett developed into one of the better punters in the country. He averaged 45.2 yards per punt on 242 career punts, including a career-high 48 as a senior last year. Twice Hackett won the “Ray Guy” award, given to the nation’s top punter. Only one other player has ever accomplished that– Patriots kicker Ray Allen.

Here’s what NFL.com had to say about him :

Amongst the influx of Australian kickers into college football, Hackett is the lead dog. Hackett is competitive and confident and has shown the potential to succeed as a base punter, but his combine performance will be extremely important in his attempt to convince NFL general managers and special teams coaches that he can transition away from the rugby style with success.

Wanna see Hackett in action ? We found a highlight video of him during his college days. You can watch it below  :

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/03/watch-new-jets-punter-tom-hacketts-highlight-video/

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

I watched his Highlight Reel, I've never seen anything like it before. He could very well revolutionise punting in the NFL. 

LOL

I agree.  Can't help but wonder if they have theballs to let him do that Aussie style kick on the run option.  or if they are going to make him kick in a traditional NFL fashion. 

I hope they turn him loose to see what happens.  Really put a new dimention on the punting game

Aussie Rugger, I presume?

If so, Fake Punt is always a thing, because Ruggers can take hits and can run, generally.

But damn that kick motion is sloooooow.  NFL speed may be a real issue.

Meh, anything better than Quigley Down Under is fine by me.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Aussie Rugger, I presume?

If so, Fake Punt is always a thing, because Ruggers can take hits and can run, generally.

But damn that kick motion is sloooooow.  NFL speed may be a real issue.

Meh, anything better than Quigley Down Under is fine by me.

I know this was posted already, but if you haven't seen it, it is really fun to watch.

Only 7 touch backs all year.  

47 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

is that gonna be a problem in the pros, running to the right all the time?

I the high light tape he bangs it real well out of the traditional NFL punting style about half the time.

I have never seen anything like it at the NFL in terms of Hackett's style. Really pulling for both of them, hope it is a good competition and we keep the better one of the two.

All I would like to see is a upgrade over Quigley... he was a bum. Last year our special teams cost us some games.... Hopefully this year it can become a strength, 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah this was the one I saw. Awesome stuff.

Looks great. So... why waste a 6th rd pick on a punter that isn't this guy? Hackett could have been had in the 7th obviously. So why I ask you? Especially in a year when we didn't have a bunch of picks to throw around.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

I the high light tape he bangs it real well out of the traditional NFL punting style about half the time.

I saw that too.   But man, he can really make it just... stop.   Like a freakin wedge shot in golf.

I hate off season.  I'm so excited, about a possible punter.

3 hours ago, Colgateman said:

I like hackett as a person, but I want to see how his style works in the nfl. Against some of the faster guys he might get his shut blocked

Check out his punt that starts at the 3:50 mark.  He can punt like a regular punter. This guy looks incredible.   Not sure why we even drafted a punter w/ him as an option.  What amazes me is that Mangini and crew scoured the earth for players (e.g. "he hunts boar") but couldn't find any gems like this guy.

Of course, maybe I'm jumping the gun here (wouldn't be the first time).  We'll see.

59 minutes ago, section314 said:

Just a little strange that a guy this consistent wasn't drafted, isn't it?

Absolutely.  I assume there must be more to the picture.  A great punter is a very nice secret weapon.

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL

I agree.  Can't help but wonder if they have theballs to let him do that Aussie style kick on the run option.  or if they are going to make him kick in a traditional NFL fashion. 

I hope they turn him loose to see what happens.  Really put a new dimention on the punting game

Up and under kicks probably won't work all the well in the NFL lol 

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

Langeta was never drafted.

I was just looking that up and I think you're correct.  Looks like he was signed out of the USFL.  I really thought the Giants drafted him but I guess not.

I was just looking that up and I think you're correct.  Looks like he was signed out of the USFL.  I really thought the Giants drafted him but I guess not.

Yep, Giants got him from the USFL.

Next to Ray Guy, Landeta was probably the 2nd best punter in the NFL.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Looks great. So... why waste a 6th rd pick on a punter that isn't this guy? Hackett could have been had in the 7th obviously. So why I ask you? Especially in a year when we didn't have a bunch of picks to throw around.

Because McCagnan sucks.  Eventually you'll all come around to my thinking on this.  Takes some longer than others.

26 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Because McCagnan sucks.  Eventually you'll all come around to my thinking on this.  Takes some longer than others.

And some just are SOJFs who whine about whoever is in charge, dont have enough patience to see what they have or dont.  Just think everyone and anyone sucks.  

Requires no thought

37 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Predicting a Jet anything sucks is so easy. At GM though, he could completely suck and still be the best we've had in 20 years. 

Archived