punter.. Tom Hackett ~ ~ ~

kelly

20 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

heard he bombed the interview process of the draft 

I'll bet he did.

That lil part in the tape where he talks about kicking the pig skin, and how easy the game is for him, probably really put off GM's 

Macc took 2 punters because just like at QB we've been sucking for too long at that position. This guy could be the difference between a couple of games for us, or the dude they picked in the 7th. May the best man win but this Hackett guy looks like he could be a weird phenom. I want a cocky punter, he's confident and from that film he can also just punt traditionally, but what a weapon when he's pinning teams deep punting from between the 40s. How many times have our punters kicked in to the endzone for a net gain of 20 yards? I watched Chargers vs Broncos once where the Charger punter changed the entire complexion of the game because of his tremendous punting. Anyone who says Macc hasn't tried to fix the STs hasn't been paying attention.

Just now, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Is he going to be able to take that many steps before punting as a pro? 

Only if there is a traveling violation in the NFL. I know that in the NBA they don't call traveling anymore, and you can take as many steps as you want.

51 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Macc took 2 punters because just like at QB we've been sucking for too long at that position. This guy could be the difference between a couple of games for us, or the dude they picked in the 7th. May the best man win but this Hackett guy looks like he could be a weird phenom. I want a cocky punter, he's confident and from that film he can also just punt traditionally, but what a weapon when he's pinning teams deep punting from between the 40s. How many times have our punters kicked in to the endzone for a net gain of 20 yards? I watched Chargers vs Broncos once where the Charger punter changed the entire complexion of the game because of his tremendous punting. Anyone who says Macc hasn't tried to fix the STs hasn't been paying attention.

Especially now Touchbacks start at the 25.

16 hours ago, flgreen said:

I the high light tape he bangs it real well out of the traditional NFL punting style about half the time.

I was going to say this very thing. He appears to still be both a good directional kicker and one who can make the ball backspin, even with a traditional style. Then again, it's a highlight reel, so maybe more of those bounced on into the end zone. But it appears he could go completely traditional as a punter and still be good. He seems to use the rugby/rules style for longer distance kicks. Maybe that could be the NFL approach. 

Apparently, the reason why Hackett wasn't drafted was his modest hang time, NFL teams think that may not translate to the NFL. Hackett certainly is more fun to watch, rugby style kicks. Edwards is 6'2" and has a booming leg and a long hang time, Hackett is slightly built 5'11" . Whether that is the reason Edwards has a longer hang time, who knows?

Our punting competition may be a more fun to watch in camp while waiting for a Fitzmagic sighting.

8 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Apparently, the reason why Hackett wasn't drafted was his modest hang time, NFL teams think that may not translate to the NFL. Hackett certainly is more fun to watch, rugby style kicks. Edwards is 6'2" and has a booming leg and a long hang time, Hackett is slightly built 5'11" . Whether that is the reason Edwards has a longer hang time, who knows?

Our punting competition may be a more fun to watch in camp while waiting for a Fitzmagic sighting.

IDK about that.  In the first kick of the tape he hits it from the 50 yard line, the cover guy catches it on the fly at the 1 yard line.  At the 1:51 mark he kicks out of a traditional punt formation from his own 40, again cover guy catches it on the fly at the 1 yard line.  Lots of hang time, and incredible leg strength.

He is fairly small compared to Edwards, but on the play where there is a big punt return, and he makes a shoe string tackle he shows great speed in cutting off the play, and a lot of toughness in diving head first to get the shoe string.  His father was an Aussie rugby star, and he of course plays rugby.  I don't think his toughness, leg strength, or hang time are going to be a problem.  Have a feeling he's a bit of a wise ass

13 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

His rugby punts dont hang in the air as long as traditional, more of a modified squib looking thing. Very effective though, and he is accurately doing them.

Dude punted 2 over 60 yards traditionally, me likey that chit.

He kicks on a line drive often to angle it out of bounds - it also eliminates the  possibility of a return, he intentionally has nohang time a good percentage of his kicks, did he have any fakes ?  You would think he could stutter step and take offto the line of scrimmage, if it's there he takes it, if not first down.  Maybe he's too lazy to run for a first down even if its just a two yard slide away, he reminds me of the type of guy that brings a beer onto the field with him and places it onthe ground next to him while he punts, if he does this during practice I hope none of the other players knock over his beer, that would be poor adequate, not only should they be called for unsportsmanlike conduct and be ejected, they should also have to buy Aussie a six pack of his choosing, and it wont be Fosters.  I'm surprised Pete Carroll wasn't all over this guy.  This is going to be a great camp and the

punter competition will be a good one. 

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

IDK about that.  In the first kick of the tape he hits it from the 50 yard line, the cover guy catches it on the fly at the 1 yard line.  At the 1:51 mark he kicks out of a traditional punt formation from his own 40, again cover guy catches it on the fly at the 1 yard line.  Lots of hang time, and incredible leg strength.

He is fairly small compared to Edwards, but on the play where there is a big punt return, and he makes a shoe string tackle he shows great speed in cutting off the play, and a lot of toughness in diving head first to get the shoe string.  His father was an Aussie rugby star, and he of course plays rugby.  I don't think his toughness, leg strength, or hang time are going to be a problem.  Have a feeling he's a bit of a wise ass

Yes, his "pigskin" interview  was a laugh, not a very safe responses for a kid looking to this draft future. Certainly has a cocky attitude, he has the play to back it up so good for him. There is another quote from him where he says in his head he is a fat kid and he doesn't like run far so kicking suits his attitude. Not as bad as a video with a bong and gas mask but entertaining none the less.

I love those rugby kicks, I could see a couple of those being mishandled & fumbled. If that happens the opposing ST coach will be telling his returners to get out of the way, another advantage to the Jets & let's you pick them deep.

It is really amazing how many lost yards the Jets have had in the punting game. It's a huge help to the defense adding yards & forcing teams to get out from their goal posts. A lot of teams get super conservative when backed up.

7 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Yes, his "pigskin" interview  was a laugh, not a very safe responses for a kid looking to this draft future. Certainly has a cocky attitude, he has the play to back it up so good for him. There is another quote from him where he says in his head he is a fat kid and he doesn't like run far so kicking suits his attitude. Not as bad as a video with a bong and gas mask but entertaining none the less.

Can you change your profile pic.  That really freaks me out.

If not, can someone tell me how to block someone on here?  And does it prevent me from seeing the person's profile pic?

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can you change your profile pic.  That really freaks me out.

If not, can someone tell me how to block someone on here?  And does it prevent me from seeing the person's profile pic?

Jaysus, Tuscany, hopefully you can block my pic, choosing a pic to be the least unsettling to you seems a bit bananas.

It's my eye, not my foreskin.

We have bulls scrotums in signature pics on JN and probably far weirder ...

6 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Jaysus, Tuscany, hopefully you can block my pic, choosing a pic to be the least unsettling to you seems a bit bananas.

It's my eye, not my foreskin.

We have bulls scrotums in signature pics on JN and probably far weirder ...

Can anyone tell me how to block (ideally a pic but if there's no way to block a profile pic then how to block a user).  

Gangrene apologies.  I don't want to block you but I really am affected looking at that pic.  

Neither of these players were rugby players; all of the Aussie punters have a background in Aussie rules football. Interestingly there are now ex-college athletes from the USA playing as professionals in the main Aussie rules league down under. The money is peanuts compared to the nfl but still a good career

On May 5, 2016 at 10:37 AM, whodeawhodat said:

does illegal man downfield apply to punt teams?

Yes. Only the Gunners can shoot early and no one else can go more than 1 yard before the oblong pigskin is kicked.

Rule 9 Scrimmage Kick

Section 1 Kick From Scrimmage

KICK ON OR BEHIND LINE OF SCRIMMAGE

Article 1 Team A may attempt a punt, drop kick, or placekick from on or behind the line of scrimmage.
Penalty: For a punt, drop kick, or placekick that is kicked from beyond the line of scrimmage or not from scrimmage:

Loss of 10 yards from the spot of the kick.

Note 1: This is not considered illegally kicking the ball.

Note 2: The penalty for a punt, drop kick, or placekick from beyond the line is to be enforced from the spot where the ball is punted or kicked when the player’s entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage. This includes either when the player is airborne or touching the ground.

Note 3: A second kick from behind the line of scrimmage is legal provided the ball has not crossed the line.

KICKING TEAM PLAYERS ON LINE DURING KICK

Article 2 During a kick from scrimmage, only the end men (eligible receivers) on the line of scrimmage at the time of the snap, or an eligible receiver who is aligned or in motion behind the line and is more than one yard outside the end man, are permitted to advance more than one yard beyond the line before the ball is kicked.

Penalty: For advancing more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the ball is kicked: Loss of five yards. 

-- Growing up near Melbourne, Australia, puntersLachlan Edwards and Tom Hackett didn't know each other until they met in Indianapolis at the NFL combine. Now, they are roommates who are competing to make the roster of the New York Jets."It’s the Aussie showdown in New York City, I guess," Hackett said Friday at the first day of the Jets’ rookie minicamp. “The Giants got one [Brad Wing, who also hails from Melbourne] and the Jets got jealous and I guess they’ll end up with one, too. Me or ‘Lach’ will win the job and hopefully have a good year.’’

Australian punters are becoming a thing in American college football and the NFL, and that has given rise to punting academies in Australia designed to get Australian Rules Football players into American colleges and the NFL. Edwards, a 6-foot-4, 209-pound 24-year-old, was selected by the Jets out of Sam Houston State with the first of their two seventh-round picks last week, while Hackett, a 5-10, 198-pounder out of Utah, was signed as an undrafted free agent.Both had played Australian Rules Football back home, before stumbling on to punting American footballs. Hackett said he saw a television special on an Aussie Rules star who was trying to get to the NFL and decided to see if he could do that himself. He started kicking an NFL ball, asked his father to lay out $4,000 for kicking lessons for a year, and joined Pro Kick Australia. It took him six months to get the hang of kicking an American football, he said, and he put some film together and sent it out to several U.S. schools, eventually getting the chance to walk on at Utah, where he won two Ray Guy Awards.

Edwards, who had given up cricket as a teenager to focus on Aussie Rules Football, found himself bored one day in the offseason and started kicking a ball around with his pal one day before work (both were bartenders). He was spotted by one of his college professors who was from Connecticut and thought he had some talent, and the professor put him in touch with OzPunt, another kicking academy in Melbourne, which got him a gig at Sam Houston State. The Jets drafted him last week and signed him to a four-year, $2.4 million contract.

The two punters are different in ways other than their size. Edwards described his strength as a strong leg, while Hackett styled himself as a directional punter.“I put the ball out on the sideline and it’s not gonna go 60 yards, but when the ball’s on the ground, it’s the same as the ball in the air. And you got Devin Hester back there, I’m not gonna let him touch the ball,’’ Hackett said.“I’ve got the long legs, so I can hit those big balls,’’ Edwards said. “And I’ve got good control over it when I’m coming into the end zone -- I can do my Aussie punts and stuff. I’ve got good control coming in and I’ve got that leg when we need it, punting out of the end zone and stuff.’’

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60272/australian-rookie-punters-begin-competition-to-make-jets-roster

Archived