Jalin Marshall

KRL

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love this pick up for the Jets, Jalin is still raw and will need practice running routes, getting separation, etc... but he has the talent to be great, this kid would have been the focal point on offense for the Buckeyes if he stayed one more year, easily a first or second pick the year after but he got caught up in the national championship bravado and needed to settle down, going undrafted should have fixed that

I think Tyvis Powell has similar potential and would have been signed if Mac really had the inside track with Urban, Powell would have been great in Bowles D but Seattle picked him up, expect him to be a part of the legion in the next couple of years

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

That's why you watch the game tape instead so you can see the prospects success and failures and judge for yourself .  It's also a better idea to watch the prospect against better competition instead of the "weak sisters" they often play at the college level . Try a game the team lost . 

Nice thing about SEC/ Big Ten and ACC..... they play some of the best teams in the country 10x

11 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you know the percentage of UDFA's who actually make the final NFL roster?

Sure, there have been a few UDFA's who have gone on to have very good NFL careers, but the reality is the vast majority are nothing more than training camp fodder.

There is a reason why they are UDFA's in the first place.

That was basically the point I was making.  Except that I was saying I'm still a sucker for this stuff despite knowing that.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That was basically the point I was making.  Except that I was saying I'm still a sucker for this stuff despite knowing that.

Unheralded players are easy to root for. That's why Wayne Chrebet was so popular.

Just now, sourceworx said:

Unheralded players are easy to root for. That's why Wayne Chrebet was so popular.

Excellent example.  I wonder what the highest number of UDFAs plus 7th rounders to ever make the team was.  This punter Hackett seems like he'll be on someone's roster (I would think ours unless Declan Edwards beats him out) next year.  I could see Jalin Smith being a special teams guy plus 4th or 5th WR.  Charone Peake seems like he might have a chance to catch on too.  Maybe others as well.

Eh, I can see why you guys think Marshall may fail, but I don't think peake will.

people rave about how hard this guy works and how determined he is, he fell because of injury concerns from two years ago.

like a lot of people have said, I would not be surprised if he turned out to be like marques colston, tj housmanzada, or our Donald driver

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

1) because they had a bunch of better Wrs who he sat behind.

2) because it is a highlight reel so it doesnt show you his bad plays?

Thank you for clarifying?

Devin Smith Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans say hello! ☺

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

He reminds me of Lavereous Coles. Runs like a running back with a very strong base & balance when he cuts. You can tell he's not afraid of contact which I believe is Devin Smiths issue, other than not having a starting QB who actually throw to match his speed.

Well we do have 3 QBs on our roster now with legit strong arms....

However it's possible that none of them will start. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you know the percentage of UDFA's who actually make the final NFL roster?

Sure, there have been a few UDFA's who have gone on to have very good NFL careers, but the reality is the vast majority are nothing more than training camp fodder.

There is a reason why they are UDFA's in the first place.

A few? Really? Do you even watch or read about any other teams? Do you know what few means?

Just off the top of my head for "your" team I  come up with Viniteri and Welker. 

There's a few for just one team....I am sure they had more if I wanted to investigate.

Sure there is a reason why they are UDFAs in the first place and part of it is the same reason 1st and 2nd rounders routinely fail.

The draft is very inexact in case you havent noticed and there are nearly 500 undrafted players in the league.

Malcom Butler just took you off his Christmas card list. 

35 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

A few? Really? Do you even watch or read about any other teams? Do you know what few means?

Just off the top of my head for "your" team I  come up with Viniteri and Welker. 

There's a few for just one team....I am sure they had more if I wanted to investigate.

Sure there is a reason why they are UDFAs in the first place and part of it is the same reason 1st and 2nd rounders routinely fail.

The draft is very inexact in case you havent noticed and there are nearly 500 undrafted players in the league.

Malcom Butler just took you off his Christmas card list. 

Bart Scott, James Harrison, Wayne Chrebet, Arian Foster & many, many more. Jalin Marshall left early & would most likely have been Ohio states go to guy had he stayed. UDFAs are a huge part of the offseason after the draft. It's a feeding frenzy once the 7th round ends. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Bart Scott, James Harrison, Wayne Chrebet, Arian Foster & many, many more. Jalin Marshall left early & would most likely have been Ohio states go to guy had he stayed. UDFAs are a huge part of the offseason after the draft. It's a feeding frenzy once the 7th round ends. 

There are more UDFA's than 1st round picks in the NFL.

But gridiron genius TX says only a few make it. 

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I couldn't see him beating out d.Smith or thompkins honestly but if he turns out to be a decent punt and kick returner we haven't had one of those since Joe mcknight

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

He might not have to beat out Devin Smith.  There's an excellent chance Smith starts the season on 8 game IR, with no camp again this year

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He might not have to beat out Devin Smith.  There's an excellent chance Smith starts the season on 8 game IR, with no camp again this year

So sad, he is like the offensive version of Dee Milliner :(

There are more UDFA's than 1st round picks in the NFL.

But gridiron genius TX says only a few make it. 

Please provide a list of UDFA's the Jets have signed over the last 10 years who have been major contributors or who have even made the final roster.

Based on your comments, there must be a ton of them.

17 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Please provide a list of UDFA's the Jets have signed over the last 10 years who have been major contributors or who have even made the final roster.

Almost the entire Jet D is 1st round picks.  Probably most of the offense is UDFA's (or should have been)

26 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

some UDFA's in last 10 years:

Brandon Moore

Mike Devito

James Ihedigbo

Danny Woodhead

Jeff Cumberland

Damon Harrison

Marcus Williams

'

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Brandon Moore

Mike Devito

James Ihedigbo

Danny Woodhead

Jeff Cumberland

Damon Harrison

Marcus Williams

'

Victor Green does not fall within the ten year requirement, but he still deserves a mention because Victor Green is the sh*t.

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Victor Green does not fall within the ten year requirement, but he still deserves a mention because Victor Green is the sh*t.

a few years after him Chrebet, we have had some good UDFAs through the years.

Brandon Moore

Mike Devito

James Ihedigbo

Danny Woodhead

Jeff Cumberland

Damon Harrison

Marcus Williams

'

You are making my point.

10 UDFA's signed each year for 10 years = 100.

7 contributors out of 100 = 7% success rate.

Look, there are absolutely some UDFA's that will turn out to be very good players.

But to sit here in May and say "this UDFA is is a steal and will make the roster" is totally ludicrous.

The odds are totally stacked against UDFA's.

7 hours ago, sourceworx said:

My brother-in-law is a big time OSU fan (and alum). He absolutely loves this guy. Says a lot of people feel if he stayed one more year in Columbus to refine his skills a little more, he could have been a high pick in next year's draft. Fans were very disappointed that he left this year.

He's a Percy Harvin type of RB/WR tweener. 

That's not a stretch at all or anything. 

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Read my post. I did not specify the Jets, I made a blanket statement for the NFL regarding UDFA.

And there are tons of them. (literally)

Last season on opening day there were 450 +/- UDFA's on the opening day rosters.

Can you calculate the %?

Still want to stand by your " Sure, there have been a few UDFA's who have gone on to have very good NFL careers "

comment?

You are aware that most of these players would have been drafted prior to the reduction to 7 rounds right?

download.jpg

I've got a pretty good idea this kid is going to make the team . One of the things Bowles loved about Kerley was his hands and that's why he trusted him out there as the punt returner .  This kid has those kind of hands and better athleticism .

He's probably got a better shot as a backup RB than at WR thou IMHO .

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I've got a pretty good idea this kid is going to make the team . One of the things Bowles loved about Kerley was his hands and that's why he trusted him out there as the punt returner .  This kid has those kind of hands and better athleticism .

He's probably got a better shot as a backup RB than at WR thou IMHO .

I agree.  We'll see what uni # he's assigned... 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

That's not a stretch at all or anything. 

I know being a UF grad means reading comprehension isn't exactly your thing, but what in my post is a stretch? His skill set is similar to Harvin's. They both played for the same coach in college, and had a similar role in that coach's offense.

Don't worry, I never said Marshall was better than Migraine-Man.

9 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I know being a UF grad means reading comprehension isn't exactly your thing, but what in my post is a stretch? His skill set is similar to Harvin's. They both played for the same coach in college, and had a similar role in that coach's offense.

Don't worry, I never said Marshall was better than Migraine-Man.

If his skills were similar to Percy Harvin, would he be a UDFA? 

And he didnt play a similar role to Harvin.  He had 2 rushing attempts on the entire season.  Percy had 70 his senior year. 

Dont know why you got so salty...was just a bit of a stretch to compare him to Percy.  Jeez. 

Archived