WR Charone Peake ~ ~ ~

kelly

Charone Peake surprisingly fell to the 7th round after being the 43rd overall ranked  player  on the Jetswire’s NFL draft board. Much of his slide is due to injury concerns after tearing his ACL in 2013, so let’s break down exactly what kind of talent the former Clemson receiver is.

>   http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/04/film-review-breaking-down-new-jets-wide-receiver-charone-peake/

Probably the pick that I'm most excited about . We have to hit on a WR eventually, right? RIGHT!? 

Joking aside, Clemson has become a modern day WR-University and the kid has all the measureables you could want. Health and consistency will be his biggest hurdles. It's going to be sad/funny when this 7th rounder has more production than Saunders and Evana combined. 

2016 NFL Draft: Favorite picks for each round

When studying past drafts, it's always interesting to find draft steals that slipped through the cracks for one reason or another. In some cases, players fall due to a lack of traits. In other cases, it could be concerns related to game-film review that leads to a slide, or injury or maturity concerns.

Let's take a look at my favorite picks from each round in the 2016 NFL Draft based on either value or fit with their respective teams.

~ ~   Round 7

Charone Peake, WR, Clemson (New York Jets) 
Drafted: Round 7, 241st overall 
Pre-draft projection: Round 3 
Summary: Despite his outstanding size and speed, Peake slipped in this year's draft due to lingering concerns over a knee injury he suffered in 2013. The late rounds are the perfect spots to swing for the fences, and with Peake's size, speed and ability to learn under Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, both parties might have struck gold.

rest of above article  : 

>     http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000660145/article/2016-nfl-draft-favorite-picks-for-each-round

Clemson's Charone Peake Looks To Put Injuries Behind Him with New York Jets

with the vast network of team specific sites on SB Nation, we decided to reach out to some of the teams that now former Clemson players will be playing for in the NFL.Scott fromGang Green Nation was nice enough to talk to us about former Clemson WR Charone Peake. Scott gives us some insight to what Jets fans are thinking about Peake's selection and how he could be used to bolster a Jets team that has struggled.

STS: What was your reaction when hearing the Jets selection of Charone Peake?

GGN: My reaction was, "Sweet. We didn't need to spend a high pick on a wide receiver given Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, glad to see us take a flier on a late rounder that could develop into a star."

STS: Jets fans have always been known as being very demanding about their draft picks. What was their reaction to the Peake selection?

GGN: I think Peake might have actually been the only consensus pick in the draft that everyone was thrilled with. In particular, it's been widely discussed that Peake was arguably a second day player and the Jets manage to grab him in the seventh? Hard not to get behind that.

STS: How do you think Peake fits into the Jets plans for 2016 and beyond?

GGN: Chan Gailey, the offensive coordinator for the team, makes a lot of use of three and four wide receiver sets. In fact, historically, there are not many offensive systems that use four-WR sets more often than Gailey. So while Marshall and Decker have a lock on two of the spots, there should be a good competition between Quincy Enunwa, Devin Smith, and Peake for those remaining "starting" spots. The team loves Enunwa from a versatility perspective and Smith is almost only capable of running post routes, but they aren't locked into either guy. There's an opening there for Peake to secure a starting role.

STS: We've seen a lot past WR picks do well even if they are late-round picks, do you think Peake can be one of them?

GGN: Unfortunately, the Jets do not have a good history with developing wide receivers. However, Peake is likely more talented than all the late WRs the Jets have drafted recently combined, so I'm hopeful. There's a lot that depends on if he can stay in one piece or if he gets injured, but he definitely has the talent to be among those that do well.

STS: For you what are the big concerns about Peake that will determine his success or failure with New York?

GGN: As I mentioned above, it's about injury. If he can stay healthy, the Jets will give him his fair share of chances as they like to spread the field and load it up with wide receivers. If he's healthy enough to make it to the field, he'll get his shot.

>      http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2016/5/5/11577114/2016-nfl-draft-charone-peake-new-york-jets

While most players enter rookie minicamp itching to take the field, Jets seventh-round draft choice Charone Peake is eager to dive into the playbook. “I think for me, just getting the playbook down is my main goal,” Peake said today before the first practice. “You can’t really get on the field unless you know what you’re doing, so that’s kind of my main goal that I’ve been working on.”While Peake noted similarities between the scheme at Clemson and Jets coordinator Chan Gailey’s offense, there are still significant differences. “It’s a lot of different terms I just got to get used to," he said. "And that’s my main thing right now, but at the end of the day it’s still football.”

On the field, Peake has a rare blend of size (6'2") and speed (4.45 forty). While some experts were worried about his knee injuries affecting his speed, he said he has been clocked as fast as 4.19 at a workout last summer in Death Valley. He also added in his postdraft conference call he is “100 percent” healthy.Even though Peake understands his size is advantageous, he believes he is not perceived as a physical threat. “I think people look at me and they see I’m skinny, but it’s not really size that matters, but how you think and how physical you play and how confident you are in yourself,” he said.

Furthermore, he plans on displaying his physicality in the run game: “I’m very confident in my blocking abilities. It’s more mental than anything, it’s a matter of want to.”The desire that Peake alluded to stems from his days as a Tiger when he practiced with future pro receivers DeAndre Hopkins (Texans), Sammy Watkins (Bills) and Martavis Bryant (Steelers) on a daily basis. “You have the chance to get better just being around those guys,” Peake said. “Just taking different things from their game and put it into mine trying to make myself better.”

While Peake’s name may have become lost in the shuffle the past few years at Clemson, something prevalent is his sense of fashion, similar to Hopkins. When asked what he was most excited about, being close to Manhattan, he said, “Probably the fashion. I want to get to some of the different stores and see what’s different.”Of the seven players the Green & White selected this year, Peake is one of the more interesting prospects. GM Mike Maccagnan has said there is always some surprise in the draft. Some experts projected Peake to be selected as high as the third round, one of the many reasons Maccagnan explained, “He’s a kid we felt very fortunate to have available at that point in time in the draft in terms of potential value and return on the pick.”

Today at rookie minicamp, Peake, covered by fourth-round corner Juston Burris, caught an underthrown ball for 30 yards, showing a little bit of his aggressive attitude with the ball in the air.

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Charone-Peake-Ready-to-Hit-the-Books/aacc8621-4e62-47fa-818a-6f3746e2a02f

Sounds like a Chansey Stuckey story. He got developed for a while and eventually became a pretty good WR for us for a while. Albeit, a shorter amount of time, Rex traded him to Cleveland to acquire Braylon Edwards. But truth be told, I am most optimistic about Peake becoming a contributor on offense this season. I sure hope so as otherwise Mac did nothing to improve the offense. A complete ignore.

It is for this reason that I believe this team will not fare well this season. Not enough additions in a very important and pivotal draft for a team on the fringe.

47 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Sounds like a Chansey Stuckey story. He got developed for a while and eventually became a pretty good WR for us for a while. Albeit, a shorter amount of time, Rex traded him to Cleveland to acquire Braylon Edwards. But truth be told, I am most optimistic about Peake becoming a contributor on offense this season. I sure hope so as otherwise Mac did nothing to improve the offense. A complete ignore.

It is for this reason that I believe this team will not fare well this season. Not enough additions in a very important and pivotal draft for a team on the fringe.

I think our team is going to get their sh*t pushed in this year, but the only thing really holding us back on offense right now is QB and OT. One there was no way to address for this year and the other he tried but the Giants preferred taking Kyle Wilson 2.0 at 10 as opposed to 20,

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I think our team is going to get their sh*t pushed in this year, but the only thing really holding us back on offense right now is QB and OT. One there was no way to address for this year and the other he tried but the Giants preferred taking Kyle Wilson 2.0 at 10 as opposed to 20,

& TE

I was working on a scouting report for Peake, and I have to say he reminds me of Martavius Bryant/Stephen Hill.  Bryant dropped a bunch of passes in college, and so did Hill.  Hill had the most physical potential of the three, but he was a body catcher which negated some of his physical ability.  It was actually surprising to see Hill do well in 3 cone and shuttle times because he was horrible at running after the catch.  Bryant is the most established of them all but has drug issues.  One caveat, Big Ben throws a killer deep pass and defenses need to double Brown.  Mike Wallace took a nose dive once he went to the Dolphins.   If Peake runs a 4.36 instead of 4.45, I think he goes in the 2nd or 3rd round this year because teams would overlook the injury history.  

He does have drop issues, there is one drop against Georgia Tech where the ball is perfectly thrown at his chest and he flat out drops it.   He needs to work on his route running as well, but I think he has very good potential.  Let's put it this way, we draft him in the 3rd round, and I'm not complaining.  

DeAndre Hopkins. Sammy Watkins. Martavis Bryant. Charone Peake. These are the last four wide receivers drafted out of Clemson -- a.k.a. Wide Receiver U.

The New York Jets tapped into the pipeline a couple of weeks ago, selecting Peake in the seventh round, 241st overall. That he lasted so long surprised many observers, considering some draft experts predicted he'd go as high as the third round.How does a Clemson receiver with size (6-foot-2), speed (4.45 seconds in the 40) and leaping ability (35-inch vertical) drop to the bottom of the draft? It's not like he had a lousy year. Peake caught 50 passes for 716 yards (14.3 average) and five touchdowns. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney once said Peake is "as talented as any player we've had at Clemson."

So what gives ?

Scouts from two different teams pointed to two factors for Peake's slide: multiple knee injuries and a small body of work. He was a one-year wonder in college, catching more passes last season than he did in his first four years combined (49). He got an extra year due to a medical red-shirt."He certainly has the size and speed, (but) he was basically a one-year producer," an AFC scout said. "He's had some injuries. (His) physical qualities never really met with a level of expected production."

Peake was a highly recruited player, but he was overshadowed by the likes of Hopkins, Watkins and Bryant. Another scout said Peake had some minor attitude issues, speculating that he became frustrated because he was buried on the depth chart. Then came the injuries. Peake missed a total of 18 games in 2013 and 2014, including most of the '13 season due to ACL surgery. He underwent minor knee surgery last July, but managed to play in every game, finishing with six catches for 99 yards in the CFP National Championship loss to Alabama.

Peake told reporters on draft day that his surgically repaired knee is 100 percent. He said he was surprised he didn't get drafted sooner, admitting he was "getting a little nervous" after the fifth round."I didn't get a chance to really play my junior season," he said. "That might be why (the injury) hurt me a little bit -- my film. But I took advantage of it my senior year."Peake will have a terrific opportunity with the Jets. Beyond Eric Decker andBrandon Marshall, there are no locks on the depth chart. If he's able to play up to his stopwatch speed, it'll give them a much-needed, field-stretching dimension on offense. He has the right pedigree, no doubt about that.

Maybe, just maybe, the Jets have found a seventh-round gem.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60361/late-round-steal-jets-find-a-peake-amid-a-death-valley

With most NFL draft’s it’s usually the first round picks who receive much of the attention and attract most of the spotlight. Yet over the years when you go back and review successful draft classes it’s typically the “sleepers” or day three selections that make a good class turn into a great class.With that in mind we reviewed each NFL teams draft class, per division, and attempted to point out who potentially could turn out to be that groups “sleeper”

AFC East

~ ~ New York Jets – Charone Peake, WR 7th rd. 20th pick (#241 overall)

On paper Charone Peake’s size speed ratio would lead you to believe that he would have been drafted much higher than the 241st overall selection, but to the delight of the Jets Peake was available for them to select in the seventh round.

What may have contributed to Peake’s fall was that for the better part of his years at Clemson it seemed like he was always either playing behind a future NFL receiver or hurt. With players like Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins, and Martavis Bryant all ahead of Peake on the depth chart seeing some meaningful snaps was not easy. Add to it the fact that two games into the 2013 season he tore his left ACL, then in the Summer of 2014 he tore the meniscus in the same knee. The two injuries caused Peake to miss a total of 18 games in two seasons.

As previously mentioned, Peake has a great combination of size, length, and speed. He possesses terrific arm length, giving the quarterback a big target to throw to. Peake does a nice job of eating up a corners cushion with his long strides, before turning on the jets and simply running right by them with pure speed. He displays good concentration downfield hauling in a long pass over his shoulders, and looking the ball it into his hands. On film Peake does a good job of adjusting to back shoulder throws and catching the ball cleanly with his hands.

With the Jets often liking to utilize three and four receiver sets on offense Peake will be given every opportunity to play and contribute as a rookie. As long as Peake can stay healthy he has the talent and skill level to continue the recent string of former Clemson Tigers turned big-play NFL wide receivers.

rest of above article : 

>       http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/class-sleepers-afc-east/

Probably the pick that I'm most excited about . We have to hit on a WR eventually, right? RIGHT!? 

Joking aside, Clemson has become a modern day WR-University and the kid has all the measureables you could want. Health and consistency will be his biggest hurdles. It's going to be sad/funny when this 7th rounder has more production than Saunders and Evana combined. 

Do you know what the percentage of 7th round draft picks that make the final roster, let alone turn out to be a contributing player?

41 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you know what the percentage of 7th round draft picks that make the final roster, let alone turn out to be a contributing player?

undoubtedly higher than the percentage of your posts that offer value to a thread.

43 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

It is probably low, but I would think considerably higher than drafting a HOF QB in the 6th.

37 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Well, the successful ones tend to have a reason why they dropped

Donald Driver dropped because of small school and questionable attitude

Marques Colston dropped because of small school

Stevie Johnson Attitude problems

T.J. Houshmandzadeh dropped because of lack of production 

Those are some of the more successful 7th rounders in my mind, and Charone Peake dropped because of injury issues, not because he wasn't very good. 

Well, the successful ones tend to have a reason why they dropped

Donald Driver dropped because of small school and questionable attitude

Marques Colston dropped because of small school

Stevie Johnson Attitude problems

T.J. Houshmandzadeh dropped because of lack of production 

Those are some of the more successful 7th rounders in my mind, and Charone Peake dropped because of injury issues, not because he wasn't very good. 

I totally agree with your post.

My point is, he was a 7th round draft pick for a reason.

Let him earn a spot on the 53-man roster before claiming he will be a productive WR in the NFL.

That's not a knock on you, but other posters in this thread who claim he will be better than current Jets WR's who are already on the roster.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you know what percentage of teams have lost first round picks for cheating?

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Slightly higher than you being even remotely amusing and just below I don't give a f*ck. But I ballpark'd it. 

Do you know what percentage of teams have lost first round picks for cheating?

4 Super Bowl titles in 15 years?

Who the hell cares about a 1st round draft pick?

Look at the Jets top 10 first round draft picks over the same time the Pats won 4 Super Bowl titles:

DFat, Gholston, Sanchez and Milliner?

How many Super Bowl titles did those top 10 draft picks produce for the Jets?

9 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

4 Super Bowl titles in 15 years?

Who the hell cares about a 1st round draft pick?

Look at the Jets top 10 first round draft picks over the same time the Pats won 4 Super Bowl titles:

DFat, Gholston, Sanchez and Milliner?

How many Super Bowl titles did those top 10 draft picks produce for the Jets?

He's got a point there. I'd take the rings. 1st round picks are over rated anyways.

He's got a point there. I'd take the rings. 1st round picks are over rated anyways.

You bet you would take Super Bowls titles over 1st round draft picks.

I'm just going to sit back and laugh at all the Jets fans who ride in on their High White Horse claiming "I wouldn't want a Super Bowl title the way the Pats won 4 of them".

Thank you for your honest response.

34 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You bet you would take Super Bowls titles over 1st round draft picks.

I'm just going to sit back and laugh at all the Jets fans who ride in on their High White Horse claiming "I wouldn't want a Super Bowl title the way the Pats won 4 of them".

Thank you for your honest response.

Your team can win without the cheating. But Belichick is just a little crazy. You can call him compulsive. The thing about him is that he gets caught. Kind of stupid don't you think. 

Archived