32EBoozer

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets rookie minicamp: Three things to watch, including QB Christian Hackenberg 

BY  SETH WALDER  

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, May 5, 2016, 3:01 PM
Jets will have a chance to see how accurate Christian Hackenberg can be.GENE J. PUSKAR/AP

Jets will have a chance to see how accurate Christian Hackenberg can be.

Can the Jets' rookie quarterback hack it at the next level?

No, that question actually won’t be answered this weekend. But the presence of Christian Hackenberg, Gang Green’s second-round pick during last week’s NFL draft, ought to spice up what is normally a pretty sleepy affair: the annual rookie minicamp.

Starting Friday, draft picks, undrafted free agents and long-shot tryouts will take to the practice field at Florham Park for work. All eyes will be on Hackenberg, so we might as well start out with him as one of three things to watch for at the camp.

MEHTA: DON'T SACK HACKENBERG SO FAST

1. First look at the Hack Attack

Get ready for some highly meaningful quarterback practice stats.

This will be the first viewing of Hackenberg in green and white, and all those in attendance will certainly be looking for signs of the main criticism facing the former Penn State quarterback: accuracy. He never completed 60% of his passes in college, which was a big knock against him. He won’t be going against any superstars this weekend but onlookers will at least be able to see if his passes are on target.

Another criticism of Hackenberg was that he watched the pass rush heading in his direction, but it will be hard to evaluate that during minicamp since he won’t be getting hit.

JETS MAILBAG: GANG GREEN'S LOVE OF CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG

Jordan JenkinsMARK HUMPHREY/AP

Jordan Jenkins

2. Jordan Jenkins’ role

Quick...name the Jets’ starting outside linebackers. That’s hard to do, because it’s unclear at this point. A year ago it was Quinton Coples and Calvin Pace, neither of whom are on the team anymore.

So the main candidates at this point are Lorenzo Mauldin, Trevor Reilly, former CFL player Freddie Bishop, and Jenkins — who was perhaps more overlooked than anyone during the draft because he was selected on the same day as Hackenberg. Ultimately, Jenkins could end up playing a lot as a rookie.

Todd Bowles said Jenkins and Mauldin could each play either the strong-side outside linebacker or the rush linebacker position, so it will be interesting to see where he places Jenkins in rookie minicamp. Most likely, Jenkins will end up playing the strong-side.

3. Aussie-Aussie

Nothing like a good ol’ fashioned punter battle.

The Jets will likely be replacing Ryan Quigley with an Australian, one way or another. The team drafted former Sam Houston State punter Lachlan Edwards in the seventh round and have paired him with former Utah punter Tom Hackett. Both are from Australia.

In case you are wondering, Edwards already proclaimed that he “loves” Vegemite.

Hackett, upon winning the Ray Guy award for the nation’s top punter last year, said on TV he plays American football as a punter because “deep down I’m fat and I don’t like running very far.”

At the very least, this competition should provide a few entertaining interviews.

Hackett, upon winning the Ray Guy award for the nation’s top punter last year, said on TV he plays American football as a punter because “deep down I’m fat and I don’t like running very far.”

This guy will fit in well with our fat kicker bullock.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm rooting for Hackett (as long as he's not related to Paul).  if we're going to have an off year, let's at least have some fun along the way. 

We should sign Eli Apples mom too if we are looking for a fun season :D

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

My mistake Hackenburg .............Hackenburger!!!!!!

It's HackenbErg or bErger, if you wish, but no "U". I had been spelling his name wrong all week lol. 

Thanks for the posts. 

I'm rooting for our new young gun to succeed, but having stated that, i CLEARLY see why his "haters" are correctly skeptical thus far. The first 2 clips who he DEFINITELY has to work on his accuracy as his WRs had to reach up and back to get the receptions. 

Let ChanChan the Man do his work and hopefully convert Hindenburg from this:

bl01%20ZEM%20marmi%20foto%20di%20blocchi

to this:

Emilio%20P%20Fiaschi.jpg

29 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

You can see the footwork is looking cleaned up in these shotguns.  He has that left foot back

That was the FIRST thing I noticed. His feet provided a solid base with the left foot back. But his passes still need to be sharpened on accuracy. 

His arm is like a double-barrel shotgun with scatter fire, he's got to work on that. 

Archived